PDA

View Full Version : Good frame pump?

roguedog
08-30-2006, 06:41 PM
Hey,

Do you all have a suggestion for a good frame pump? I had one years ago and it seemed for all the effort I put in I barely got any air outta the thing. Hopefully they've progressed since then.

Also, it used to be like they one had ones that fit guy size frames. Are there ones now that will fit on smaller frames?

Tks

melissam
08-30-2006, 06:50 PM
Hey roguedog,

The Topeak Road Morph comes highly recommended by the TE folks. It has an inline guage, and you can use your foot to get leverage while pumping, so it makes it easier to get your tires up to pressure.

For more info, see this thread: http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=9105

I bought a Road Morph, and put it on my 47cm Trek. Unfortunately, the pump is barely too long to fit on my seat tube, so I had to mount it to my down tube. I'll bet if I wanted, I could mount it to the top tube.

REI has them in stock.

-- Melissa

Blueberry
08-30-2006, 07:07 PM
I have to second the rec for the topeak road morph. They're changing the model slightly for next year to make a one with a guage and one without - however, some places have erroneously said it isn't being made anymore (ahem Performance bike - long story - still waiting on a refund). I've successfully pumped tires up to 120 psi with it, and the new models are rated to 160 (who needs that?!).

bikerz
08-30-2006, 07:39 PM
Topeak road morph. Got a flat this past Sunday - changed the tire and pumped it up to 120 easily, and was on my way in minutes - can't beat it!

Nanci
08-31-2006, 04:43 PM
Topeak Road Morph. Simple to use, works like a miniature floor pump, small, easy to figure out even if you haven't used it in months, has its own gauge.

HillSlugger
09-06-2006, 10:09 AM
I just got a Road Morph. It's too long for my seat tube and I don't want to give up the bottle mount position on the down tube. I hate how it would look strapped to the top tube.

My Specialized Sequoia has another set of mount holes on the front of the down tube down near the bottom bracket. It would fit here lengthwise but be held in place only near the bottom. Does this sound OK? It clears the front wheel OK but I'm still wondering if there are any issues mounting it here that I'm not aware of.

Thanks, Nicole

Bad JuJu
09-06-2006, 12:04 PM
Nicole--That third set of braze-ons is for a third water bottle, and I do have a water bottle cage installed there on my bike. I now use a Camelbak, so I don't need all those bottles, but I kept an extra there for a long time. I don't know of any problems with mounting something there, as long as there's sufficient clearance and you make sure the pump is mounted tightly when you do your "pre-flight" before each ride.

pooks
09-06-2006, 12:39 PM
Check out the price of the Topeak Road Morph on Amazon. If you don't mind waiting a few weeks for delivery, it's much cheaper there. (It does ship from Amazon, not another store.) It's about $25.

I ordered mine last night, and added a couple of other small Topeak things (also shipping from Amazon) to get their automatica $10 rebate taken off the total at checkout.

Bad JuJu
09-06-2006, 01:06 PM
By the way, Nicole, I ended up getting a Mountain Morph for my road bike because the Road Morph was, like yours, too long for the front of my seat tube. The Mt. Morph fits behind my seat tube, since my bike has a touring frame, with a little extra length in the rear triangle.

Fredwina
09-06-2006, 02:06 PM
MDHillslug, If you look around on Topeak's web site, the sell an additional mount that lets you use it with water bottle cage:
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=6537&highlight=road+morph
(Lazy typing!)

HillSlugger
09-07-2006, 05:36 AM
MDHillslug, If you look around on Topeak's web site, they sell an additional mount that lets you use it with water bottle cage
Actually, the included mount can be either strapped on or screwed on to the bottle mounts.

I've mounted the pump to the screw holes on the front of the down tube. It looks like it will work out well there, although I did carve away part of the mount to make sure it would not effect the derrailleur cable that runs next to it.