PDA

View Full Version : What do you wear for running in the winter in MN?

RunMamaRun
08-30-2006, 08:40 AM
Hey ladies!

I just joined this site and love it! I have lurked on a couple of threads and found them really informative.

So, here's my question to you...what do you wear to run in the cold? I just started running in April. I probably spend equal time running inside on a track and outside. My goal is to be able to run the MedCity Half Marathon in the spring. I just ran a 5k and placed 2nd in my age group (total shock, btw)! Whoops, little off topic. Anyhoo, I want to be able to run outside on occasion...running inside gets boring. Winter can approach quickly here so I want to be prepared!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

RunMamaRun

mosaic
08-30-2006, 08:57 AM
Can you actually go outside in MN during the winter?

I enjoy running in the winter much more than summer. You might see your times get better too.
As far as what to wear, I really recommend staying away from cotton. It's horrible and it chafes. The technical gear will really be much more comfortable. Depending on the weather, fleece is great to keep warm. It's important to layer. You might want a wind layer to wear over it for windy or rain/sleet/snow. You can get tights, but they do make more flattering loose pants. I have waterproof pants that might actually be for cross country skiing on really wet days. Although, at the point when it gets really snowy or icy running becomes pretty difficult and it's better to go inside on the dreaded treadmill.

Good luck in your half training. It will be great. Sounds like you are a quick one.

RunMamaRun
08-30-2006, 09:06 AM
Can you actually go outside in MN during the winter?

Haha! Yes you can! Sure it gets pretty cold here, but nothing like up in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada! I am originally from there, so I know!

Thanks for the advice...I thought cotton was good...I will stay away from it.

I am far from fast...I finished the 5k in 25:32 (incidentally I missed first place by one lousy second). My next race is in about 6weeks, an 8k...gotta work myself up for a couple more miles :)

Again, thanks.
RunMamaRun

limewave
08-30-2006, 09:06 AM
I live right on Lake Michigan and it gets windy, cold, icey and you could really get me going on the Lake Effect Snow . . . I've been running the last few winters in the cycling off-season to stay fit. Here's what I wear that seems to work:

Shoes: Montrail Hurricane Gortex Trail Running shoes. They are heavier, but they keep the feet dry and warm. Plus it offers better support on the icey, snow-covered roads.
http://www.usoutdoorstore.com/outlet/index.cfm/department/Category/fa/products.showDetail/sku/H617/Montrail_Hurricane_Ridge___Womens.htm

Socks: Smartwool running socks

Legs: PI Running tights--make sure socks are secure under tights.
http://www.pearlizumi.com/product.php?mode=view&product_id=524518&type_id=2&sport_id=1&category_id=4&color_code=021

UpperBody: Patagonia Capilene base-layer w/ long sleeves--tuck into tights so you don't get wind burn on your tummy!
http://www.patagonia.com/web/us/product/product_focus.jsp?OPTION=PRODUCT_FOCUS_DISPLAY_HANDLER&style_color=45360-464&patcatcode=MAIN.CLOTHING_GEAR.WOMENS.SHIRTS.ACTIVE/TECHNICAL

Outerwear: Mizuno Thermo jacket
http://www.mizunousa.com/equipment.nsf/AllProduct/823C0CB04A16D70985257194006B51CA?opendocument

Head: http://www.mizunousa.com/equipment.nsf/AllProduct/70AEB46D8327AB65852570EB0063D809?opendocument

Hands: http://www.mizunousa.com/equipment.nsf/AllProduct/E70329C3B0508B10852570F300519298?opendocument

limewave
08-30-2006, 09:14 AM
Stay away from cotton! It will get wet and sweaty and then cold and . . .it's not good. What's great about the jacket I posted is that it actually pulls the sweat/moisture from the inside out. Many a time I've come back from a run and my jacket is laced with ice from my sweat, but I am warm and dry inside.

Grog
08-30-2006, 09:42 AM
I have been running in a Montreal -20 deg Celcius temperature. Not much wind though, but that wouldn't mean a lot of changes. (I now live in Vancouver but sometimes visit Montreal, preferably during snowstorm!! :eek: )

I would wear wool and synthetics. I agree that you have to stay away from cotton, even for what seems like insignificant pieces of clothing. Layer up and wear something with back pockets so you can put the stuff you take off and put it in there.

In extreme temperatures, I would go for three layers, one close to skin and very light, one looser and mid weight, and if it's windy a third one, also light, to break the wind.

Shoes can be an issue because they're usually more vented. You might want to get a larger size in which you can wear two light pairs of socks instead of just one. I know wind-breaking socks exist out there, REI probably carries them.

Hands? Mittens on the outside, thin layer on the inside, so you can take off the mittens after your warm-up but still have something on your hands.

Head: wear a beanie, wool one if you can, and probably keep it on. It will keep the rest of your body warm.

Enjoy!!!

colby
08-30-2006, 10:28 AM
It doesn't get nearly as cold where I am, but I was wearing a lightly lined compression suit, the same thing I wear for skiing. Since it's one-piece, I didn't have to worry about any parts being exposed. I ran with temps approaching zero, and some days with pretty bad wind. On colder days, I would wear a long-sleeved technical top over the top and/or a light vest/jacket. I always wore a pair of very light running tights over the top, just so I didn't look like a total goober :) When I wore the suit up on the mountain, all I needed was light ski pants and a light jacket, with the top for colder days.

For hands, I was wearing windproof gloves. My hands get warm fairly easily once I warm up, so I didn't need them to be lined. For feet, I wore regular running socks and shoes, though I think something more rugged like a trail-running shoe would be better for snowy days, and maybe two pairs of socks or something a little warmer (sometimes my toesies were cold for longer than I'd like). I avoided running on a couple of icy days, though I would not mind getting some Stabilicers and running more comfortably on those days. I wore a hat until I couldn't stand it anymore, but I would carry it with me anyway just in case. I wore a beanie so it would stay on without having to secure it around my neck.

I think a lined close to the skin base layer is critical in those cold temps, then something on top to break the wind, and something inbetween depending on weather. The hat and gloves make a big difference, and are easy to carry if you decide it's too warm.

RunMamaRun
08-30-2006, 01:37 PM
Wow!

Thanks for all the input! Limewave, I am going to have to check those sites out.

Grog, I was born in Montreal and lived there till I was 12, so I know how damp it can get there. Funny that you only travel in snowstorms...my husband and I were feeling like that's all we did when we went back to Winnipeg to visit family!

Again, I appreciate the input and will look into some warm weather gear.

Thanks,
RunMamaRun

tygab
08-30-2006, 09:33 PM
I know you've already gotten the cotton message, but I just want to add that in hiking and outdoors circles cotton is called "the death cloth" for good reason. There is no faster way to get hypothermia than being in non-quick drying clothes. If you do any hiking, snowshoing, fall biking, x-c skiing, kayaking and so on, please do not wear cotton!

I NEVER wear cotton for exercising or anything where I anticipate being wet or working up a sweat, even when its warm and pleasant out. It's just been ingrained into me. And even on a "warm" day, say for example getting caught in the rain while out for a run, or being in BDU's on a hot day (yuk), being in wet cotton can have a noticeable effect on one's morale.

The layering suggestions are very good ones. For a highly aerobic activity such as running, you will likely need far fewer layers than you think you need. At least until you stop :). Snowshoeing or XC skiing are prime examples of this - you will generate plenty of heat but cool down very fast when you stop. So the outer layers are usually for the cool down times, while the inner layers are what you'll actually be doing the sport in.

Also, the biggest source of heat loss, in order, is from your head (~30-50%) followed by your hands. So for the aerobic activities, a nice thin hat and thin gloves (such as glove liners) are a must. For less aerobic outdoors pursuits, such as downhill skiing, or shoveling the driveway, thicker hats and gloves are called for. And if you're out for a while, drink lots of water. People often associate drinking with warm temps, and sweating, when in reality being in cooler drier air can have a significant effect on dehydrating you just as fast.

See, you got me started.... sorry for the long answer. I am WFA certified and have done both land and water SAR...

"Support search and rescue - get lost! :)"

_

DeniseGoldberg
08-31-2006, 03:39 AM
Another great layer for your legs are REI Power Stretch Tights (made of Polartec Power Stretch). I wear mine for both riding and walking in the cold winter weather here in Massachusetts.

And yes, I know, Minnesota gets considerably colder. But it's still a good layer.

If this link doesn't work, just do a search on the REI web site for REI Power Stretch tights: http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=48032737&parent_category_rn=4501791&vcat=REI_SSHP_WOMENS_CLOTHING_TOC

--- Denise

mosaic
08-31-2006, 05:46 AM
Another great layer for your legs are REI Power Stretch Tights (made of Polartec Power Stretch). I wear mine for both riding and walking in the cold winter weather here in Massachusetts.

And yes, I know, Minnesota gets considerably colder. But it's still a good layer.

--- Denise

We get a special mix of wind and cold though. I enjoy when it actually snows here, rather than just spitting ice bits at us.:D

RunMamaRun
09-01-2006, 05:13 AM
We get a special mix of wind and cold though. I enjoy when it actually snows here, rather than just spitting ice bits at us.:D

That's one of my concerns....ice! Believe it or not, we get alot of ice/freezing rain out this way!

Thank you again for all the input! This is awesome information. I now look forward to doing a couple of runs outside this winter!

RunMamaRun

triflor
09-01-2006, 08:06 AM
check out www.mec.ca Mountain Equipment Coop. I think most of my winter running gear is from there, and the quality to price is good!

RunMamaRun
09-01-2006, 02:24 PM
check out www.mec.ca Mountain Equipment Coop. I think most of my winter running gear is from there, and the quality to price is good!

Thanks!
My inlaws are in Winnipeg and there is an MEC store there. I should check the stuff out and have her pick it up for me!

RunMamaRun

Kano
09-04-2006, 07:09 PM
ice -- I saw folks walking around with these spikey things attached to their Sorel boots up in Anchorage last february. Perhaps there are some that can be affixed to something a bit lighter and more "foot snuggly" too. That would add an interesting dimension to running. Sorel boots -- when you put on the light weight shoes again come spring, it would be like being 20 pounds lighter, and if you can run in those buggers, you'll be tremendously fast in your summer gear!

Gosh I'm glad I don't deal with Minnesota winters anymore!

Karen in Boise

colby
09-05-2006, 08:39 AM
ice -- I saw folks walking around with these spikey things attached to their Sorel boots up in Anchorage last february. Perhaps there are some that can be affixed to something a bit lighter and more "foot snuggly" too.

After searching for a while last winter, I decided if it was going to be nasty often enough I'd invest in the Stabilicers: http://www.32north.com/prod_sport.htm

Fortunately, I didn't have to, the snow and ice stayed mostly in the mountains :) There are a couple of other options, like the yaktraks, but the stabilicers looked the most natural.

RedCanny
09-06-2006, 09:53 AM
Depending on how much snow you get this winter, you might want to consider trail running with snowshoes (smaller ones made for running).

I've just gotten back into running after taking several years off from the impact, and I am looking forward to continuing it though the winter. I may try the above, as I recall getting pretty spooked by the ice on sidewalks in my neighborhood. I had to really change my gait so that I didn't slip... and then later I gave up and found an indoor treadmill.

All the clothing advice the ladies have given is good- layer it up, and cover that head!

RunMamaRun
09-06-2006, 06:00 PM
Thanks again!

And RedCanny...nice to see I am not the only Minnesotan around here!

All this advice is great. I do need to invest in some better running gear. Whether I run much this winter (outside that is) is yet to be determined. It's just easier for me to run indoors at the gym where I can drop the kids off at the daycare when hubby isn't around to watch them, ya know? And because I just got into running the thought of investing in a dual runner stroller when I have a 4 and 2 year old just doesn't sit right with me.

Thanks again for the valuable input!

RunMamaRun