PDA

View Full Version : heart monitor recommendations?

victoria
02-27-2004, 08:35 AM
hello!
i'm new to road biking and really excited and thrilled to have found this wonderful group. i'm thinking of investing in a hrm to get more out of my workouts. i run too. any suggestions? thanks.

Veronica
02-27-2004, 09:55 AM
I really like the Polar S710. It gives you speed,distance, max speed, avg. speed, altitude, temperature, calories burned in addition to heart rate. The stored info can then be downloaded to your computer via an Infrared reader. The computer adds up your mileage, calories, number of exercises and time on a weekly basis.

I wear it for every workout I do, weights, spin, Spinervals tapes, swimming, the occassional step class. The lap counter has a large button that's very handy when swimming for interval work.

Veronica

victoria
02-27-2004, 06:33 PM
thanks, the s710 sounds like a contender. i've heard these have to be sent back to the factory to have the batteries replaced, is that true and how big of a pain in the butt is it?

Veronica
02-27-2004, 07:05 PM
I've had mine for over two years and haven't had to send it in yet.

Veronica

Irulan
02-27-2004, 07:15 PM
either factory, or a GOOD watch repair shop.. not the ones at Kmart or similar. My good pal just had her wristwatch portion of her HRM destroyed ( "oops") as Shopko. I had my same done by the local professional watch shop and it was fine.

They say send them back because a lot of place don't really know what they are doing - department stores and so on. AFter having things messed up by Kmart and Pennys' both, I only go with a real watch shop now.

Irulan

victoria
02-29-2004, 06:53 AM
thank you Veronica and Irulan.
my biggest concern with the polar was not having it while the batteries were being replaced, and the cost...it's a little spendy, but sounds like the battery thing isn't really a big deal and i'm sure i can come up with justification for the $$$$. thanks for your help.
victoria

Adventure Girl
02-29-2004, 07:25 AM
Originally posted by victoria
my biggest concern with the polar was not having it while the batteries were being replaced
My HRM is at Polar right this second.... Dead batteries. I probably could have had the battery replaced locally, but the instruction manual says that if you don't have Polar change the battery, the watch may not be water tight anymore. Being a mountain biker who has fallen in a creek or two, I thought the water tight feature was important.:p

Originally posted by victoria
and the cost...it's a little spendy
Like a lot of other bike stuff, when a new model comes out, "last year's" models drop in price. If you can live without all the bells and whistles that the new one has, you can get pretty good prices on discontinued pieces through Performance Bike or Nashbar type stores.

Veronica
02-29-2004, 07:37 AM
Let us know how long it takes to get it back. Being a swimmer, I'll be sending mine in to Polar as well when the time comes.

Veronica

Adventure Girl
03-05-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Veronica
Let us know how long it takes to get it back. Being a swimmer, I'll be sending mine in to Polar as well when the time comes.
Veronica
I just got my heart rate monitor back from Polar.
Sent in: Feb 13th
They received it: Feb 17th
Work completed: Feb 28th
They sent it back: March 2nd
I received it: March 5th

That's not super speedy service, but it's not too bad. It took 22 days (8 days of shipping + 14 days in their shop). It cost $10.00 for the battery replacement + $2.95 return shipping. I'm glad to have it back. I really missed having it.

bounceswoosh
05-27-2004, 02:13 PM
Does just about any HRM have the ability to remember your highest heart rate ever, and tell you how you're doing as a percentage of that absolute max? Not just your highest heart rate on the current ride, but out of all the time you've ever used this hrm? (or settable, I suppose, if you have used another one previously)

I mean, that seems like the whole point of the exercise. But I don't know what term to look for to verify this.

Veronica
05-27-2004, 06:28 PM
I can change the value of max heartrate on both my Polars. I have a 610 and a 710. The 710 is supposed to be Thom's, but I use it more often.

They use an infrared sensor and I change the value on the computer and just upload it. You can also tell the watch to give you either the actual number of beats or as a percentage of the value you entered.

V.

bounceswoosh
05-27-2004, 07:46 PM
Seems weird that it wouldn't just register a new max automagically. I mean, max is max, right?

Veronica
05-28-2004, 03:55 AM
I'm glad it doesn't do that, because electromagnetic interference can cause it to bounce up.

I've been sitting in the truck and watched mine jump from 60 to 225 because of the engine. It also spikes spontaneously when I ride under high tension power lines.

V.

bounceswoosh
05-28-2004, 05:26 AM
oh. I guess not, then.

So you look at the report and, if your HR was really high, decide if it was a "true" max and enter that?

Veronica
05-28-2004, 05:33 AM
Yep, that's pretty much what I do. The 710 charts speed, distance and elevation also. It's an expensive system compared to a lot of other HRM, but I use the feedback. It's probably cheaper than a carbon fiber fork. :D

V.

Steph_in_TX
05-28-2004, 12:42 PM
I had to send my Polar in for a new battery several months ago and I got in back in about 10 days. Probably just depends on their workload?

If you wanted to spend another $45, you could buy the new chest strap they've just put out. It's coded and it's all soft except for the very center. You can change the battery yourself and they even include a couple of extra rubber gaskets. It's much more comfortable than the harder plastic ones.

I'll also throw in my consumer notice, the new S725 has what we decided to be a major flaw. My husband just bought one to upgrade from his 410 and took it back for the 720. Polar took off the auto start/stop function on the 725 so unless you wanted to remember to start and stop it everytime you have to stop at a traffic light or whereever, your data will be slightly flawed. He called Polar and no one seemed to know why they removed that function, but said they had tons of complaints.

ausgirl
06-08-2004, 08:26 PM
I agree with Steph about the chest strap - it is really comfy! I've only tried the old type when doing vo2 max tests but am not crazy about them. The new chest strap should pretty well be standard on all Polar HRMs - it is in Australia.

As for max HR, if you want it to be really accurate and this is a good idea if you're using the calorie counter part (because the calories burned will be calculated partially on HR) or training to HR zones, you could get a vo2 max test which will tell you this amongst other stuff. Otherwise the HRM often calculates your HR based on the age that you input (220-age) which is often not accurate, mines out by about 15bpm.

caligurl
07-01-2004, 07:34 AM
i got the polar s720i. i know it's way more than i need right now... but i already had an a5 that i liked and i really wanted the feature of calories burned.

we just got the cadence IR adapter yesterday and there's all kinds of charts that mean nothing to me! lol!