PDA

View Full Version : Crotch issue

grzybek
08-28-2006, 09:03 AM
I got word of this site from my boyfriend who loves to ride and is trying to get me into it.

We have been trying to work through various discomfort issues and the biggest has to do with the seat. In reading through the posts I noted everyone mentioning butt bones and measurements but I'm feeling discomfort in my crotch, more up front, for lack of a better description. I'm presuming a different saddle will do the trick, but maybe it has to do with my posture when I'm in the seat? If it's the saddle, any suggestions on where to start?
Help! I'm completely ignorant on how best to attack this issue.

mimitabby
08-28-2006, 09:26 AM
you found the saddles forum, that's a good start.
the theory behind comfort and saddles like the brooks B67 is that your
sit bones are supported by the saddle, therefore holding your more delicate
parts enough above the seat that they aren't getting ground to bits.

the new cut outs IMHO seem to make this even worse.

read some of these other threads, you are NOT alone with your problem.

Kauai Grandma
11-28-2006, 04:53 PM
I got word of this site from my boyfriend who loves to ride and is trying to get me into it.

We have been trying to work through various discomfort issues and the biggest has to do with the seat. In reading through the posts I noted everyone mentioning butt bones and measurements but I'm feeling discomfort in my crotch, more up front, for lack of a better description. I'm presuming a different saddle will do the trick, but maybe it has to do with my posture when I'm in the seat? If it's the saddle, any suggestions on where to start?
Help! I'm completely ignorant on how best to attack this issue.

Hi!
After riding my mountain bike for a long time and suffering from a very sore crotch, I finally found an answer and wanted to pass it along to you. There is a bike seat that does not have a nose. It is called a Revla, and you can order one at permaco.com. It may be the answer to your prayers.
Happy Riding!
Aloha,
Bonnie

KnottedYet
11-28-2006, 07:16 PM
I tried a nose-less saddle (think it was called a "sweet cheeks") and found it very uncomfortable because I couldn't control the bike with my thighs. (that's what the nose is for)

Your mileage may vary.

DebW
11-29-2006, 03:30 AM
And it's not just finding the right saddle, but also adjusting it correctly. The nose should be roughly level. I say roughly because a saddle may sag a bit or change shape when you sit on it, and thus putting a level on top of it is merely a good place to start. If it's tilted up, you'll get pressure on the front of your crotch no matter what. Try tilting the saddle in small increments and riding a couple miles on it each time. If you feel like you're sliding forward or have too much weight on your hands, the nose is pointed down. If there is weight on the front of your crotch, it too up. Fore-aft position on the saddle rails also makes a difference, because if it is in the wrong place, you'll still want to sit on the wrong part of the saddle and may not have your sit bones where they are supported.

Saddles vary in the width of the base, the width of the nose, the way they taper between base and nose, their firmness, etc. If you're riding a saddle designed for a man, chances are that your sit bones are hanging over the sides of the saddle and you'll never be comfortable like that. Some people go through a lot of experimentation before finding the saddle that's perfect for them. Good luck.

mimitabby
11-29-2006, 06:54 AM
Saturday (remember how nice the weather was on Saturday?) i went to Angle Lake cyclery in Des Moines (washington) and tried a bike that was called a RANS. It was a big strange looking thing and it had a saddle like you have described Knot. I only rode it for about 1000 feet, and it was fun and seemed to be fairly stable. It was completely different though from anthing i'd ever ridden before.

http://www.ransbikes.com/default.htm
(i rode the Dynamick)

KnottedYet
11-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Those RANS are kinda quasi-recumbent. Neat. Now I want one... I want a speedy trike, too. And an Xtra cycle. And an s+s coupler travel bike. And....

I still miss my recumbent sometimes, but Flossie makes me very happy.:D