PDA

View Full Version : Hotter Than Hell 100 er... 75

KSH
08-27-2006, 05:42 PM
Pre-Ride-

I start talking with Heidi from TE and we decide that we will ride together. As the day gets closer we talk about a ride plan... nutrition... hydration... etc. We are pumped and ready to take on the 100 mile challenge!

8-25-06/Friday-

I leave work at 1:00 PM and hit the road for Whichita Falls (WF), TX! Woo-hoo! Hotter Than Hell... here I come!

In Decatur, I meet with with my friend Diane and she follows me into WF since we are staying at the same hotel... the Ramanda Inn Limited (3209 Northwest Frwy, US. HWY 287- I am giving you the address so you know to NEVER stay at THAT hotel).

As I am checking-in, I get into a discussion with the front desk as they are tellling me I MUST pay for 2 nights. I let them know that I was NEVER told about the 2-night minimum and they tell me that they sent the information to Marvin Parker (who I got the room from, but I did call the hotel and switch the reservation in my name!). So, after going back and forth, they finally agree to charge me for one night at $109 instead of $89. Fine.

After we check-in, we promptly leave and hit the Expo center around 4:30 PM. There is this HUGE line for packet pickup. I get in line and Diane goes to register. She got in/out a lot quicker than I did. *Note to self- Do not pre-register.*

I give Heidi a call and she finds me in my long line... we chat for a bit. I get to meet her hubby and look at the cool new jersey she bought for the ride.

Once I got my packet, Diane and I hit the Expo. There seemed to be some really great deals, but I didn't NEED anything... and it was really crowded, so we headed to the Remington Hotel to eat the Greater Dallas Bicyclists. The food on the buffet was filling... which made up for some of the taste! HA!

When are bellies were full, we headed back to the hotel and went to sleep around 10:00 AM.

8-26-06/Saturday-

OH! 5:15 AM comes too quick! Diane packed up and headed out, while I hit the breakfeast in the front office. After I as full, I proceeded to check out.

The manager (I spoke with his wife the day before), tries to charge me for 2 nights. I emphasize I was told the day before I would be charged for 1 night. He says he REFUSES to let me only pay for one night and I MUST pay for 2 nights. We keep going round and round. I get so pissed off, I start to SHAKE in anger.

I then stomp out to my car and I grab my cell phone... go back inside and call the local police. At that point, the manager realized I was SERIOUS about NOT paying for 2 nights and he calls upstairs to find out that I was told I would only pay for 1 night. Then, and only then do I get charged for 1 night.
Moral of the story: Never stay at the Ramada Inn Limited in WF, TX!

So, I was completely pissed and got in my car to go to the ride. I can't find a place to get ice, so I am do not have cold water in my Camelbak or Polar bottle. Not a good start. I find parking at 6:15 AM (the ride starts at 7:00 AM) and call Heidi.

I get all my stuff unpacked and head over to find Heidi. After finding her, we got in the HUGE line of cyclists. At this point, she realizes her back brakes are NOT working. Not good! We finally find a mechanic, and he *sort of* fixes her back brakes. She just hopes and prays that she doesn't need to make any quick stops for the rest of the day.

8:00 AM we are finally PEDALING! The original ride plan called for starting at 7:00 AM so we could make it to Hell's Gate (62 miles) by 12:30 PM. We are determined though, so we figured if we up the average some, we can make it.

Miles 1-20, we run over a 16 mph average. The morning feels good and we are doing good. We stop at mile 20 because I need some COLD water. Unfortunately, I got some mud gunked up in my cleats, so I had to spit water in my cleats and dig the mud out. Heidi got a picture of this move! HA!

Miles 20-30, we run over a 16 mph average. It's getting a little warmer, but we are still holding strong. We stop at mile 30 because I need more to drink. I am looking for food, but I can only find fruit. I eat some, but that isn't going to get me 100 miles.

Around miles 35-40, we start realizing that if we don't pick up the pace, we will NOT make Hell's Gate by 12:30 PM. So, we buckle down and starting pedaling. And we do a great job. The road was a straight away with some crosswinds hitting us, the sun was beating down on us (no shade to speak of), and it was just MILES of chip-sealing road. I put on my iPod and start focusing on getting to Hell's Gate.

This is where I start feeling it. I'm not feeling bad... but I'm overwhelmed by my need and want to to keep going...to NOT give up. I see a SAG wagon full of strong looking guys/girls... and I say to myself, "Screw that, I will not be taking one of those today". I see that others have given in to the pain, the heat... but we are still going... and going strong.

I put on a song that I love and I start to focus on my music and I start thinking about the Ironman videos I have seen with the finishers, and the heat is just beating on me... I am focusing on the words to the song... and I almost want to start crying. Not a, "I'm in pain" cry, but a "This is hard but it WILL NOT BEAT ME" cry. I fight back the tears and keep pedaling.

Around mile 52/55 we see a rest stop. I think it's Hell's Gate... closer than expected and I was SO EXCITED. The road we just left had taken it's toll on my body and mind. But it's not Hell's Gate.

At this point, Heidi and I talk about it, and we are OK with not making the 100 miler. It's very hot... and we are giving it all we have... but we think the 100 will be too much for us. Up until this point, we ran a 16 mph average. Which was I was VERY HAPPY about!

I'm looking for food, but I can't find any. At this point, I have only eaten some gel shots, sport beans, and 6 peanut butter crackers.

We hit the road and back it off a little since we know that we only have 25 miles left. The pressure is off. Then we see a sign that Hell's Gate is closed. I later found out it was shut down at 11:10 AM. We never would have made it... unless we started promptly at 7:00 AM and ran a 16+ mph average the whole way.

So, we pretty much keep a solid speed and keep going. I think around noon to 2:00 it was around 100-104F degrees. It was HOT. And the wind was blowing. We keep pedaling and we stop whenever we can. At this point, I lose track of how many stops we make, but I don't care. We are doing to make the 75 miles and we are doing a great job.

There is a stretch with headwind and Heidi takes the lead and keeps us running 14-16 mph! I duck in behind her and keep pedaling. Again, we stop when we can. But we are passing people who look like they are struggling. It's obvious that the heat is getting to everyone.

At some rest stop after mile 52... I find some pickels and saltines to eat. Wow! Talk about food *smirk*. Then, at another stop, I find some chex mix... but at this point I feel like I might vomit if I eat anything... so I pass on the food. I probably should have taken something in... because I think the pounding headache hit around 1:00 PM and didn't leave until 7:00 PM.

We get to about 3 miles from the end... and we have to stop and take a rest in some shade. Fine with me. The heat is a killer and my head is pounding.

After a short rest, we get up and finish the ride.

FINAL STATS:
74.53 miles/ 15.1 mph average/ 4 hours, 55 minutes and 26 seconds (rode from 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM est.)

Once done, Heidi hooks up with her hubbby and I rush off to my car. I have a 2-hour drive ahead of me, and I know if I stick around I won't be awake to make it home safely. So, I hop in the car, find some food... carbs! (french fries and biscuits- HORRIBLE, I know)... and drive home.

I get home around 4:30 PM, finally take a shower and then I crash out on the couch around 6:00 PM. I wake up around 9:30 and then I go to my bed and sleep until 4:00 AM. Then at 4:00 AM I had to get up so I could go watch my sweet boyfriend compete in his first triathlon!

In closing, I would like to say that I was very lucky to have Heidi ride with me. We worked great together as a team! Each of pushed the other, but neither of us broke down and had to "pushed" to keep going. She was really kind, and willing to be flexible to my plans and she was willing to stop when I needed to.

Overall it was a great ride and I am really proud of our performance. I know for me, I have never done a 16 mph for 55 miles... but I did it. I was surprised at how strong I was... but then again... I had a buddy to draft behind! I think both of us really did more than we expected and we did it with a smile until the end! It was a great challenge, but it was fun and I hope that Heidi and I can meet up for another bike rally in the future!

rheidis73
08-27-2006, 06:20 PM
Pre-Ride-

I start talking with Heidi from TE and we decide that we will ride together. As the day gets closer we talk about a ride plan... nutrition... hydration... etc. We are pumped and ready to take on the 100 mile challenge!

8-25-06/Friday-

I leave work at 1:00 PM and hit the road for Whichita Falls (WF), TX! Woo-hoo! Hotter Than Hell... here I come!

In Decatur, I meet with with my friend Diane and she follows me into WF since we are staying at the same hotel... the Ramanda Inn Limited (3209 Northwest Frwy, US. HWY 287- I am giving you the address so you know to NEVER stay at THAT hotel).

As I am checking-in, I get into a discussion with the front desk as they are tellling me I MUST pay for 2 nights. I let them know that I was NEVER told about the 2-night minimum and they tell me that they sent the information to Marvin Parker (who I got the room from, but I did call the hotel and switch the reservation in my name!). So, after going back and forth, they finally agree to charge me for one night at $109 instead of $89. Fine.

After we check-in, we promptly leave and hit the Expo center around 4:30 PM. There is this HUGE line for packet pickup. I get in line and Diane goes to register. She got in/out a lot quicker than I did. *Note to self- Do not pre-register.*

I give Heidi a call and she finds me in my long line... we chat for a bit. I get to meet her hubby and look at the cool new jersey she bought for the ride.

Once I got my packet, Diane and I hit the Expo. There seemed to be some really great deals, but I didn't NEED anything... and it was really crowded, so we headed to the Remington Hotel to eat the Greater Dallas Bicyclists. The food on the buffet was filling... which made up for some of the taste! HA!

When are bellies were full, we headed back to the hotel and went to sleep around 10:00 AM.

8-26-06/Saturday-

OH! 5:15 AM comes too quick! Diane packed up and headed out, while I hit the breakfeast in the front office. After I as full, I proceeded to check out.

The manager (I spoke with his wife the day before), tries to charge me for 2 nights. I emphasize I was told the day before I would be charged for 1 night. He says he REFUSES to let me only pay for one night and I MUST pay for 2 nights. We keep going round and round. I get so pissed off, I start to SHAKE in anger.

I then stomp out to my car and I grab my cell phone... go back inside and call the local police. At that point, the manager realized I was SERIOUS about NOT paying for 2 nights and he calls upstairs to find out that I was told I would only pay for 1 night. Then, and only then do I get charged for 1 night.
Moral of the story: Never stay at the Ramada Inn Limited in WF, TX!

So, I was completely pissed and got in my car to go to the ride. I can't find a place to get ice, so I am do not have cold water in my Camelbak or Polar bottle. Not a good start. I find parking at 6:15 AM (the ride starts at 7:00 AM) and call Heidi.

I get all my stuff unpacked and head over to find Heidi. After finding her, we got in the HUGE line of cyclists. At this point, she realizes her back brakes are NOT working. Not good! We finally find a mechanic, and he *sort of* fixes her back brakes. She just hopes and prays that she doesn't need to make any quick stops for the rest of the day.

8:00 AM we are finally PEDALING! The original ride plan called for starting at 7:00 AM so we could make it to Hell's Gate (62 miles) by 12:30 PM. We are determined though, so we figured if we up the average some, we can make it.

Miles 1-20, we run over a 16 mph average. The morning feels good and we are doing good. We stop at mile 20 because I need some COLD water. Unfortunately, I got some mud gunked up in my cleats, so I had to spit water in my cleats and dig the mud out. Heidi got a picture of this move! HA!

Miles 20-30, we run over a 16 mph average. It's getting a little warmer, but we are still holding strong. We stop at mile 30 because I need more to drink. I am looking for food, but I can only find fruit. I eat some, but that isn't going to get me 100 miles.

Around miles 35-40, we start realizing that if we don't pick up the pace, we will NOT make Hell's Gate by 12:30 PM. So, we buckle down and starting pedaling. And we do a great job. The road was a straight away with some crosswinds hitting us, the sun was beating down on us (no shade to speak of), and it was just MILES of chip-sealing road. I put on my iPod and start focusing on getting to Hell's Gate.

This is where I start feeling it. I'm not feeling bad... but I'm overwhelmed by my need and want to to keep going...to NOT give up. I see a SAG wagon full of strong looking guys/girls... and I say to myself, "Screw that, I will not be taking one of those today". I see that others have given in to the pain, the heat... but we are still going... and going strong.

I put on a song that I love and I start to focus on my music and I start thinking about the Ironman videos I have seen with the finishers, and the heat is just beating on me... I am focusing on the words to the song... and I almost want to start crying. Not a, "I'm in pain" cry, but a "This is hard but it WILL NOT BEAT ME" cry. I fight back the tears and keep pedaling.

Around mile 52/55 we see a rest stop. I think it's Hell's Gate... closer than expected and I was SO EXCITED. The road we just left had taken it's toll on my body and mind. But it's not Hell's Gate.

At this point, Heidi and I talk about it, and we are OK with not making the 100 miler. It's very hot... and we are giving it all we have... but we think the 100 will be too much for us. Up until this point, we ran a 16 mph average. Which was I was VERY HAPPY about!

I'm looking for food, but I can't find any. At this point, I have only eaten some gel shots, sport beans, and 6 peanut butter crackers.

We hit the road and back it off a little since we know that we only have 25 miles left. The pressure is off. Then we see a sign that Hell's Gate is closed. I later found out it was shut down at 11:10 AM. We never would have made it... unless we started promptly at 7:00 AM and ran a 16+ mph average the whole way.

So, we pretty much keep a solid speed and keep going. I think around noon to 2:00 it was around 100-104F degrees. It was HOT. And the wind was blowing. We keep pedaling and we stop whenever we can. At this point, I lose track of how many stops we make, but I don't care. We are doing to make the 75 miles and we are doing a great job.

There is a stretch with headwind and Heidi takes the lead and keeps us running 14-16 mph! I duck in behind her and keep pedaling. Again, we stop when we can. But we are passing people who look like they are struggling. It's obvious that the heat is getting to everyone.

At some rest stop after mile 52... I find some pickels and saltines to eat. Wow! Talk about food *smirk*. Then, at another stop, I find some chex mix... but at this point I feel like I might vomit if I eat anything... so I pass on the food. I probably should have taken something in... because I think the pounding headache hit around 1:00 PM and didn't leave until 7:00 PM.

We get to about 3 miles from the end... and we have to stop and take a rest in some shade. Fine with me. The heat is a killer and my head is pounding.

After a short rest, we get up and finish the ride.

FINAL STATS:
74.53 miles/ 15.1 mph average/ 4 hours, 55 minutes and 26 seconds (rode from 8:00 AM to 2:00 PM est.)

Once done, Heidi hooks up with her hubbby and I rush off to my car. I have a 2-hour drive ahead of me, and I know if I stick around I won't be awake to make it home safely. So, I hop in the car, find some food... carbs! (french fries and biscuits- HORRIBLE, I know)... and drive home.

I get home around 4:30 PM, finally take a shower and then I crash out on the couch around 6:00 PM. I wake up around 9:30 and then I go to my bed and sleep until 4:00 AM. Then at 4:00 AM I had to get up so I could go watch my sweet boyfriend compete in his first triathlon!

In closing, I would like to say that I was very lucky to have Heidi ride with me. We worked great together as a team! Each of pushed the other, but neither of us broke down and had to "pushed" to keep going. She was really kind, and willing to be flexible to my plans and she was willing to stop when I needed to.

Overall it was a great ride and I am really proud of our performance. I know for me, I have never done a 16 mph for 55 miles... but I did it. I was surprised at how strong I was... but then again... I had a buddy to draft behind! I think both of us really did more than we expected and we did it with a smile until the end! It was a great challenge, but it was fun and I hope that Heidi and I can meet up for another bike rally in the future!

What a great story! It sounded like I was there again. I have been quite tired, with all the stuff that went on during the weekend and then with the 6 hour plus ride home, to write much of anything. I will have to print this for my journal, so I remember my first ride...

And yes, I hope we can meet up for a rally again...It was so great to experience the 25th year at the Hotter N Hell ride....

Send me your email in PM and I will send pictures to you...:D

rheidis73
08-27-2006, 06:25 PM
Karen

http://www.hh100.org/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=77

Found this link about the HHH100...it is just a small paragraph...

Tri Girl
08-27-2006, 06:42 PM
Amazing race report!!! Sounds like, although it was truly hotter than hell, you had a great experience! Great average, great time, and great that you finished!
My friend went and was (and is STILL) very upset that they closed Hell's Gate early. She'd been training all summer for this century, and was mad she was denied. I understand, tho. I guess I'd be a little miffed, too.

Congrats on a great ride, and I'm glad that all went well for you. There are far too many stories of crashes, flats and the like from that race. With over 11,000 riders, it's amazing that anyone finishes unscathed. :D

Congrats!

chickwhorips
08-27-2006, 07:02 PM
congrats you two! great job.

you sound like such the team. hope some day i get to do something like you two and have a partner half as good as either of you.

good job and thanks for the report. one question though: where's the pictures?

KSH
08-27-2006, 07:26 PM
Amazing race report!!! Sounds like, although it was truly hotter than hell, you had a great experience! Great average, great time, and great that you finished!
My friend went and was (and is STILL) very upset that they closed Hell's Gate early. She'd been training all summer for this century, and was mad she was denied. I understand, tho. I guess I'd be a little miffed, too.

Congrats on a great ride, and I'm glad that all went well for you. There are far too many stories of crashes, flats and the like from that race. With over 11,000 riders, it's amazing that anyone finishes unscathed. :D

Congrats!

Yea, a lot of people were miffed that they shut Hell's Gate so early. All because it was going to be "too hot". DUH!

We saw a lot of people riding the opposite direction on the road... we suspected that they were putting in the extra miles to add it all up to 100.

Yep, we were lucky... not one flat for us or wrecks.

Although, I did almost lose my life sharing a single lane with a mini-van coming down the road... head on... I wasn't watching very closely and passed someone on the left with the car coming. It scared the hell out of me!

Pictures? Uuuuhhh... Heidi has those! :D

colby
08-27-2006, 09:20 PM
Congrats, KSH and Heidi on your first century mission -- you made it over 3/4 of the way there, which is still a MAJOR accomplshment! Not to mention in that heat...yikes. I'm impressed you stayed sane after thatn 2-nights vs. 1-night argument. At some point you'd think keeping the business would be more important than the money, but apparently not! :rolleyes:

Awesome work, ladies, looking forward to the pictures! ;)

Aggie_Ama
08-27-2006, 09:36 PM
First, congrats on going 75 miles! That is still amazing in this heat.

I can see why they closed the gate early. I know it has been hot in other years, but after having heat exhaustion myself once I would not want to see it on a large scale. People may be angry, but I think it was the right thing to do.

Now back to what an awesome ride report! Great job ladies.

Kitsune06
08-27-2006, 10:01 PM
You ladies are hard core. Congrats on your 75 miles; I can't even IMAGINE doing that...

rheidis73
08-28-2006, 03:12 AM
Pictures are coming!!!!! I promise..Look for them tonight...We will get the one of KSH spitting on her cleats to get the mud out! It was so lady like! :p

KSH
08-28-2006, 05:38 AM
First, congrats on going 75 miles! That is still amazing in this heat.

I can see why they closed the gate early. I know it has been hot in other years, but after having heat exhaustion myself once I would not want to see it on a large scale. People may be angry, but I think it was the right thing to do.

Now back to what an awesome ride report! Great job ladies.

HA! Yea... even a guy on the radio in Dallas who rides... he's a 6'4" tall athletic man... he only made it 65 miles and then he hit the SAG wagons!

I felt so PROUD this morning knowing that Heidi and I never hit a SAG wagon!

Heidi... my e-mail: energizerbunny25_98@yahoo.com

Can't wait to see the pictures!

FreshNewbie
08-28-2006, 07:14 AM
Congruts Girls! So happy for you! Unbelievable feeling of finishing in extreme condtionons...I know.
Can't wait to see your pictures. Congrutulations again.
FN ( Marina)

KSH
08-28-2006, 07:40 AM
Congruts Girls! So happy for you! Unbelievable feeling of finishing in extreme condtionons...I know.
Can't wait to see your pictures. Congrutulations again.
FN ( Marina)

YOU had extreme conditions! I never would have even started riding if it were raining.

Congrats to you!

FreshNewbie
08-28-2006, 08:02 AM
Trust me I myself wished it would be heat instead of rain, given that it was my first time riding in the rain ever. If I was not able to stick with this guy I am not sure if i was able to finish. Having riding partner really helps, especially if they are as strong or stronger than you are. Don't say that you are a whimp, you are so NOT! You were able to stick to your running coach program for so many weeks, it takes much more courage to do that, and I read every report that you wrote and trust me - I would not be able to do that! So congruts again and lets hope our second will be better :rolleyes: ;)

Lise
08-28-2006, 08:31 AM
Congratulations on an extraordinary ride!

I sure know this feeling: Not a, "I'm in pain" cry, but a "This is hard but it WILL NOT BEAT ME" cry.

Impressive and inspiring. I'm glad you knew when and how to call it quits without quitting. :D

redhot3368
08-28-2006, 08:58 AM
Good job Girls!!
congrats!!! Hope you had plenty of electrolytes too!!
That could be what caused the headache?
It is SOO tough to ride in the heat...well done!

Karen :)

Bike Goddess
08-28-2006, 04:35 PM
Great job. 75 miles is 75 miles and in that heat, you did an awesome job!!!!!

Headache could have been from dehydration despite all the liquids and electrolytes you downed!:( :( :( :(

KSH
08-28-2006, 05:04 PM
Good job Girls!!
congrats!!! Hope you had plenty of electrolytes too!!
That could be what caused the headache?
It is SOO tough to ride in the heat...well done!

Karen :)

HA! This is about all I had... so I know it was due to lack of food in my system.

Oh well, lesson learned.

Thanks for all the kind words and replies ladies.

rheidis73
08-28-2006, 05:29 PM
OK.maybe tomorrow, I will have pictures..I am so tired right now :( Long day at work..up at 5 for a ride before work...Maybe done early tomorrow..I hope

rheidis73
08-29-2006, 03:18 AM
Here is the Hotter N Hell....First picture, is needing our cute mechanic right at the beginning of the ride..thanks to me...Second is of Karen...you can guess what she is trying to say...Third is where we stopped at a rest point and Karen had gotten a ton of mud in her shoes...How lady like was it to see her spitting on her cleats! :D Look closely, you can see the spit! LOL...The I think the last one is of us at the finish line line. We look great, but I know that I was totally exhausted. That is all I have time for right now..I will write more later...

Lise
08-29-2006, 04:15 AM
You guys rock! Thanks for the pictures. You look amazingly chipper in that heat at the end. Heidi, what kind of saddle do you have on the Bianchi? I'm still searching for the right one for mine.

KSH
08-29-2006, 06:23 AM
Heidi, you were too kind to post the pictures and for taking them!

Thanks so much!

Yea, it was amazing, we were tired at the end, but we never lost our positive attitude!

It was so funny... Heidi would be in front of me riding and she would turn her head to look back and she would be smiling... I had my earphones on... and I kept thinking she was trying to talk to me. Nope. Just smiling! :D

chickwhorips
08-29-2006, 07:30 AM
great pictures! looks like even though it was hot you still had fun.

rheidis73
08-29-2006, 11:45 AM
Heidi, you were too kind to post the pictures and for taking them!

Thanks so much!

Yea, it was amazing, we were tired at the end, but we never lost our positive attitude!

It was so funny... Heidi would be in front of me riding and she would turn her head to look back and she would be smiling... I had my earphones on... and I kept thinking she was trying to talk to me. Nope. Just smiling! :D

I do smile a lot and laugh..which, I end up laughing at something that wasn't even funny and then look really retarded!

I will send all the pictures to you Karen..I have to find where I read your email though...

KSH
08-29-2006, 02:02 PM
E-mail: energizerbunny25_98@yahoo.com

rheidis73
08-29-2006, 05:25 PM
You guys rock! Thanks for the pictures. You look amazingly chipper in that heat at the end. Heidi, what kind of saddle do you have on the Bianchi? I'm still searching for the right one for mine.

I will see if this picture posted, but it is just the saddle that came with the bike. It is quite comfy..something like Compensanti ????