PDA

View Full Version : Tired of Trying Saddles! Want to find the ONE

jacquisun
08-27-2006, 01:31 PM
HI all:
this is my first post, i was directed from a co-ed bike forum. Thank goodness, cuz this is a rather private topic and I'm always uncomfortable at the bike shops talking about the saddle problems

I got a Trek Pilot and within a few rides was having fore issues with the bontrager. Began doing seat rentals from the shop of purchase, and have tried sooo many saddles, everyone gives me either fore or aft problems at somelevel.

Tried Terry butterfly, at first liked it, but then began to feel pressure on either side of the opening, and it begana to cause numbness.

Serfas Cassina--the best one so far, I am about to go buy it because I'm so tired of looking. It was good aft and good fore -- although after about 35 miles I'd begin to feel a tad of chafing in soft tissues or sometimes that sort of cold/hot sensation of pressure. ONe bike shop recommended I think more about good shorts and chamois instead of the seat--perhaps the serfas with an expensive short ($125?) will do it? But my lord, so much money!!!

I tried WTB Deva--and found the shape good--no fore issues, but the hardness aggrivated my siatic nerve. so I need to have some cusion in my seat.

I've tried a few others--some I knew in 5 miles it was WRONG, others not so sure--and I've lost track of what they were.

While being fitted for new handlebars (didn't like the Trek woman's specific -- too narrow!!) I sat on the WTB Speed She--never got it out of the shop becuase the fore chaffing was unbearable--and was sure that was going to be "the one"

Currently have WTB Lazer V pro gel to test ride--rode it 25 miles today--and am so so about it. It's not terrible, just not great. I feel like it may be a bit too narrow, but I like the channel--no fore tissue friction. But I don't care for the stitching and was nearly sure I could feel the stitching by the 15th mile.

I'm so tired of looking I'm nearly ready to spend $80 on the serfas just to give the whole search a break. But I wondered given what I've said if anyone might have some advice on how to find the right seat!

roguedog
08-27-2006, 02:55 PM
Sorry to hear bout your troubles but if it make syou feel any better I thin everyone is looking for "the one."

Try going thru the Brooks Saddles thread. Seems many people seem happy with Brooks:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=1493

Also, looks like the folks at www.wallbike.com have helped many of the women on this forum. They apparently have 6 month return policy...

good luck...

KnottedYet
08-27-2006, 04:17 PM
If you measure your sit bones (outside edge to outside edge) and give that info and your list of saddles and how they (didn't) work for you to Bill or Diane at Wallingford Bicycle Parts, they will be able to get you started with a Brooks. The cheapest is $67 (women's B17S). I plan to get one for my new road bike. On my commuter bike I have a B67, which is wonderfully wide and has springs.

Yes, they take some miles to break in. Yes, they are hard as cardboard at first. But very soon they soften to your exact shape. And my "no cut-out" Brooks is actually much more comfy for me than my saddles with cut-outs!

Wallbike will give you 6 months, no questions asked. If you don't like the first one you try (after giving it some time, really, I'm not kidding) tell Bill and Diane what you didn't like, and they will help you choose the next one.

Since I got my Brooks so many of my problems have disappeared. I have no regrets, and will probably never switch to another brand. (believe me, I've tried plenty! Even some of the "alternative" seats.)

At the very least, call them and ask if they have any ideas. You don't even have to buy anything. They love to talk about bikes and saddles. And don't be shy of "girl talk" with Bill. He is totally cool. If you're not comfortable talking to Bill, ask him to have Diane call you. She's cool, too. (and his feelings won't be hurt... he understands)

I can't say enough about how much I appreciate these two, and their business. And their knowlege!

Wallingford Bicycle Parts www.wallbike.com 1-888-731-3537

(and if you go to their website, check out the picture of our very own MimiTabby on the B67 page!)

KnottedYet
08-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Oh, and if you're talking to Bill and he has to put you on hold or asks to call you back, don't worry. It's just him or Diane, and they have to do everything. They will call you back!

jacquisun
08-27-2006, 04:53 PM
If you measure your sit bones (outside edge to outside edge) and give that info and your list of saddles and how they (didn't) work for you

Okay, I have to ask because I'm still not sure, how do I know where my sit bones are? Sometimes I feel pressure on what I think might be the sit bones, but other times where I feel the pressure from the seat is more like where my leg bone sockets go into my hips. I guess I have never been too sure if I know where the sit bones really are---and I haven't wanted to ask any of the male sales people at the bike shops to show me :o

Veronica
08-27-2006, 06:06 PM
Squat down and you can feel the bones.

V.

mimitabby
08-27-2006, 06:16 PM
for me the best way to describe is to sit down on a chair (back straight)
and then
put your hands under your butt cheeks, so that you are sitting on your
hands. the hard things poking your hands are the sit bones.

KnottedYet
08-27-2006, 06:39 PM
Lots of creative ways to measure your sitz bones in this thread:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=2372

If you run into trouble, let us know. We're here to help! :D (and laugh, cuz it's pretty funny trying to measure yer own buns. I'm just glad no-one was around me with a camera when I did mine...)

CorsairMac
08-28-2006, 10:50 AM
ONe bike shop recommended I think more about good shorts and chamois instead of the seat--perhaps the serfas with an expensive short ($125?) will do it? But my lord, so much money!!!

This is the line that caught my eye: are you wearing cheap bike shorts? I'm not saying you should pay $125 for a pair of shorts but cheap shorts can cause problems in addition to a seat that doesn't work for you. Try Performance or even here at Team Estrogen and see what they can hook you up with. Even if you aren't riding major distances now - you might consider looking at shorts that will fit the type of riding you are hoping to do.
Also, since you aren't doing much riding yet and have had issues with the saddles, you may experience some soreness/tenderness until you've built up that area to handle time in the saddle.

as for saddles: truly individual and you're right the Bontrager on the Treks are just murderous! LOL I really like the Specialized BG saddles for women.

Gray Gato
08-28-2006, 11:43 AM
Jumping in here with a question of my own...

I've done two 65 milers in the past 3 weeks. I have one of those awful Bontrager saddles but I have Sugoi RS Flex which are the best.

I use loads of Butt-R and re-apply at rest stops.

I don't have a lot of soreness the next day, but the area where my thigh meets my "sitting area" is very red on both sides. It's a little tender, but nothing to keep me from riding the next day. I think the only reason I don't chaff is that I use so much lubrication.

Do you think this is a sign that my saddle is too wide?

Thank you ladies for all your advice!

mimitabby
08-28-2006, 12:14 PM
If the wideness is in the front, yes, that is surely a possibility!

(responding to grey gato)

KnottedYet
08-30-2006, 09:18 PM
I chafe just like that on seats that are pear shaped. No such problems with saddles that are "T" shaped. If the transition from wide part to nose is too gradual, I'm in biiiiiiiig trouble.

(Sefas Niva, sore. Brooks B67, not sore.)

Gray Gato
08-31-2006, 05:17 AM
I'm leaning towards the Fixik Arione. I'm of slightly small stature and think that would be a good try. It's longer than what I am used to - but I hear that can be good on long rides. I do worry about dropping the $ and it not working out.
Anyone ever had a saddle that bothered them because it was too long?

Nanci
08-31-2006, 05:19 AM
I don't get that, either, why would you want a _short_ nose on the saddle?? Doesn't the overall length have something to do with getting surther back than normal while climbing? I know that on the Vitesse, I have plenty of different ways to sit- i'm not stuck in one place. I can vary my place depending on what feels comfortable at the moment.

KnottedYet
08-31-2006, 06:29 AM
I like the longer saddles, too. I use the nose a lot to help me control the bike and I like to scootch around once in a while. (mine is about 260mm front of nose to back of frame)

jacquisun
09-01-2006, 06:13 AM
This is the line that caught my eye: are you wearing cheap bike shorts? I'm not saying you should pay $125 for a pair of shorts but cheap shorts can cause problems in addition to a seat that doesn't work for you. Try Performance or even here at Team Estrogen and see what they can hook you up with. Even if you aren't riding major distances now - you might consider looking at shorts that will fit the type of riding you are hoping to do.
Also, since you aren't doing much riding yet and have had issues with the saddles, you may experience some soreness/tenderness until you've built up that area to handle time in the saddle.

as for saddles: truly individual and you're right the Bontrager on the Treks are just murderous! LOL I really like the Specialized BG saddles for women.

Thanks for asking, I have Sugoi $40 retail that I got on 10% sale. I was torn between the smalls and mediums, and went with the M because I didn't want a tight waste band--but I think the chamois is too loose. It scoots forward when I lean into the horns and drops--so I"m guessing they are part of the problem with the fore chaffing. Although, I have another "cheapish" pair of shorts that fit tighter and still have some issues. Anyway, I was shown some shorts that have a really dimpled chamois and more textured outer fabric -- $140!!! But if it really makes a huge difference, maybe it's worth it ??? How much is enough to get a good pair of shorts--I have Pearl Azumi winter bike pants that I really liked last year when I was using my mountain bike--not sure If I'll like them on the road--too hot yet to test them out.