PDA

View Full Version : Rocketman triathlon

btchance
08-27-2006, 10:57 AM
All I can say is that this one hurt! I'm glad I did it though (isn't that just twisted?) The swim was one I was really worried about, .5mile in the Tenn River, the bike was 13miles with a lot of rolling hills and false flats, and the run was 3miles, also with the hills.

:D As far as the swim goes, it actually ended up being my best portion, even though I was so terrified that I almost turned around and left right up until I jumped in the water. I had been hearing stories from people who live around there about how many snakes have been in the water lately :eek: (I hate those buggers), the depth (>100ft), the current, and people swimming in it and coming up with weird rashes later (don't know yet if this one will happen). When I warmed up, I almost fell on my butt getting into and out of the water because the ramp where we were getting out was so covered in algae. The warmup was sucky, but oh well. Once I finally got into the water to race, it all went well. I ended up doing a weird sighting routine where I would do freestyle for a while, then do one breast stroke to look up and see where I was going. That was the only time I did not do freestyle, and if you read my race report for Wet Dog, that was not the case then. I did not have any navigation problems by some miracle, and did not freak out when people where hitting my legs or even when one person grabbed my a**!! I was able to get into a rhythm and just go. Oh, and I definately used all the volunteers to keep me from falling on my previously grabbed a** when I was getting out :p

:rolleyes: The bike, well, it wasn't my best one. There was a lot of wind today, (well, for alabama), that seemed to be a cross wind the majority of the time, and a head wind at others. There was a lot of false flat on the course, no shade, and as the swim didn't start until 8am, it was hot. I was able to keep a steady cadence, but I really don't want to see my time. I did not know I would be so tired after that swim, I never even went into the big ring, which is rare for me. And eventhough I used my camelbak, I still got dehydrated (I was nice and light headed at some points.) The positives - for the first time I actually saw the winner on the course, and the only people who passed me were those on tri bikes, many with disk wheels.

:( The run just sucked. My legs did not want to go up those hills at all, and with the lack of shade I was just hot. I was eating the sport beans on the way out, ran through a shower thing at one point to cool off, and just tried to keep going. It was nice that so many of the other triathletes were being so encouraging to everyone. It helped keep me going. I was finally able to get into a rhythm (sp?) for the last mile, which was all down hill, thankfully.

Overall, I'm pretty pleased with how it went. This is by far the longest distance I've done (440yards + swim, 4mile + bike), with pretty tough conditions. I'm not sure of my overall time, but I think it's just under 2hrs. Probably around 20min swim, hour bike, and 40run. Right now my body is completely dead, and my legs just don't want to move. And I'm thinking about doing another in 2 weeks. I think I need my head examined! :D

Tri Girl
08-27-2006, 11:36 AM
:) Great race report! I didn't even know you were racing this weekend! Sounds scary (the swim part), and I'm glad you didn't let what you'd heard get into your head. Sounds like the swim was much better than your last one.

Hills are always tough, and some days you have it-some days you don't. Sounds to me like you hung tough and made it through wonderfully! Congrats on a great race!! Post any pics that you may have! And if you do the next one, be sure to tell us all about it, also!

Lise
08-27-2006, 05:44 PM
I get it, btc! "That was awful, I'm exhausted, when can I do it again?!" Congratulations. Sounds like a challenging race, and that you came through strongly. Especially overcoming the fear of the swim. That's a tough moment in every triathlon for me. Good work! Rest up. You deserve it. :D

colby
08-27-2006, 09:04 PM
So much of the competition is with yourself! I think sometimes we take the mental parts of any race (triathlon or single event, or even training) for granted.

Awesome to see you finished! As they say, the woman who finishes the race is not the same woman who starts ;) Especially good to hear your swim went well.

KSH
08-28-2006, 05:51 AM
Great race report!

That course sounds brutal! The heat... wind... hills... a river to swim in... etc. Just brutal.

Get some rest... and be proud for doing such a good job!

Brina
08-28-2006, 11:12 AM
awesome report. I totally hear you on, "I hurt, man that was great".

btchance
08-29-2006, 02:04 PM
Thank ya for your encouragement. Now that I'm not so sore I'm definately wanting to do the one in two weeks! Amazing how that works, isn't it?