PDA

View Full Version : Seacoast Century

Crankin
08-27-2006, 07:12 AM
Ok ladies, my husband and I just signed up for the Seacoast Century. We are going to do it on Sunday the 24th. I haven't done any distances over 60 miles this year, but i feel pretty comfortable that with 1-2 rides of about 80 miles I will be OK. So, my question is: Is there anyone out there who would be willing to do this long training ride with me on the 10th of Sept. I know a lot of you are going to the Flattest Century that day, so obviously, that eliminates a bunch of you. My husband will be in Europe and I don't know anyone else that is willing to ride that far.
I am not taking the whole thing too seriously; if I only do the metric, that will be fine, but my goal is 100 miles in about 7 hours (based on my speed in other 50-60 mile rides). This is about an average of 13.5 miles per hour, slower than my speed for shorter rides and taking into account that there may be times that i want to go really slow!

DeniseGoldberg
08-28-2006, 04:47 AM
Robyn -
I'll be off on vacation (with my bike) on that date - otherwise I'd be happy to do a long ride with you.

It's been a while since I rode the Seacoast Century, although I do ride in that area fairly often. It's mainly flat, and the century is set up pretty much as an out and back type of route. The interesting thing is that the start is not at one end or the other - but closer to the southern (western?) end of the ride. You can easily use your feelings as the ride progresses to determine your distance (as in, it's very easy to do a ride of any length - 100 miles, or 80, or?).

Of course I have no doubt that you can happily ride the full century.

--- Denise

Crankin
08-28-2006, 05:33 PM
Thanks, Denise. I think what I may end up doing is riding 20-30 miles by myself and then joining Janine for 50. But, maybe I will get a reply here.
School starts tomorrow... I am already stressed.