PDA

View Full Version : runny nose

postiechic
08-26-2006, 07:25 PM
ok...here's sumthin different.
You girls that cycle in the winter...in the really cold parts of the globe....do any of you have a problem from an eternally runny nose from the cold?
Not only do I cycle when it's cold, but I also work outside....and my nose runs..or drips...just enuff to be effin annoying. Now, I'm wondering if there are any solutions to the cold weather runny nose?

Kitsune06
08-26-2006, 09:00 PM
Probably not the greatest idea, but I tend to do the guy thing and blow it into the grass if I'm working alone and not around gentlefolk. :o

Otherwise, the terry on the thumbs of your bike gloves is good for this, but wash your gloves after to prevent salt crustying and general grossness.

Grog
08-26-2006, 09:20 PM
Now, I'm wondering if there are any solutions to the cold weather runny nose?

Snot rockets.

I'm with Kitsune on this.

Any aerobic exercise that gets my heart beating gets my nose running. I now accept it as a fact of life...

Selkie
08-27-2006, 12:28 AM
Anytime the temp drops below 55 degrees, my sinuses became a booger factory. I'm, therefore, a snot rocket queen.

run it, ride it
08-27-2006, 04:56 AM
It will annoy the bejesus out of your coworkers if you just keep sniffling every .5 seconds. At all costs, avoid this situation.

Wear something that covers your nose and mouth when you're on the bike and let the snot river do what it will. No one can see you, and it won't tickle once it's everywhere. It will just blend into the sweat and you won't notice it. Once the whole aparatus is saturated, it will even conveniently freeze solid in place!

Once you take the thing off and clean up as best you can, I suggest a combination of snot rockets and (gentle) glove-wiping.

BUT NOT EXCESSIVE SNIFFLING! Am I the only one who goes postal from this noise?

KnottedYet
08-27-2006, 06:16 AM
I have tried to snot-rocket, but the results are less than satisfactory. So I carry a big ol' bandana (several, actually) and honk my way to happiness.

postiechic
08-27-2006, 10:11 AM
Am I the only one who goes postal from this noise?
you girls crack me up:D
nope...I can't stand sniffing either...kids are great when it comes to annoying you to death with sniffing...ugh.
I'm lucky enuff to not have coworkers aroud me when i'm outside. Anyways..I just make sure I got a hanky or 2 at hand.
I don't reckon I'd be much good at snot rockets either!

Denise223
08-27-2006, 12:08 PM
Funny thread!

run it, ride it NO, you are NOT the only one who goes CRAZY hearing sniffling every .5 seconds!!!

That can be extremely irritating!!! I just want to scream, "BLOW YOUR NOSE FOR HEAVENS SAKE!!!!!!"
....perhaps in my "peri-menopausal" state, I find many things a LOT MORE AGGRAVATING!!....

On this one, I definitely have to agree with KnottedYet :) !!
I don't carry bandanas, but I do carry a couple of "hankies".

I do have allergies -- so, when we're riding, I'm (as KY said), "Honking my way to happiness".

In fact, my DH knows I'm not far behind when he hears me honking away ;) ! (there are lots of Canadian Geese out here -- it has been said that I sound just like them....) :eek:
Oh well, at least I'm not constantly sniffling away!

Have a good day all!

Denise

Kitsune06
08-27-2006, 02:19 PM
Failed snot rockets = A/C on hot days.:D

(I magically produce snot on EVERY ride, not just the cold weather ones...)

Dogmama
08-27-2006, 03:18 PM
....perhaps in my "peri-menopausal" state, I find many things a LOT MORE AGGRAVATING!!....

I'm with ya there, sister!

Snot rockets are fun! You have to build up an..ermmm...arsenal to effectively launch.

(Was that delicate enough?)

Of course, you close the non-launching nostril and give a good toot. This isn't for the faint-of-nose. Nothing is worse than a failed launch (ewww!!!)

donnambr
08-27-2006, 03:19 PM
Failed snot rockets = A/C on hot days.:D

It's called living in the allergy hot zone that is the Pacific Northwest, my dear. I take so much Zyrtec D, I've cut my caffeine consumption by 75%.

Dogmama
08-27-2006, 03:21 PM
Caution - topic drift ahead...

I swear, this is the only forum where we can discuss these things. I was surfing a very serious 2%-body-fat-male-cycling forum and the topics were things like: "The difference between the Campy 2004 shifters and the Shimano 2003 shifters in hills greater than 8% grade when moving into a headwind at 86 degrees...."

I logged onto TE and the first new topic I saw was:

"I ate a bug"

I knew I was home! :D

chickwhorips
08-27-2006, 03:46 PM

i'm with you on this one.

i usually just wipe my nose with my jersey or glove.

Kitsune06
08-27-2006, 03:49 PM
Ah, Zyrtec D. Is it legal in OR? (speaking of 'saving people from themselves' in the helmet forum, the whole "OMG, allergy sufferers in Oregon?! That doesn't happen! No pseudoephedrine for you!" thing has me P.O'ed)

Anyone in WA willing to hook me up? *snerk* I can sniffle, too... no worries. ;)

donnambr
08-27-2006, 07:24 PM
Well, I get my Rx from this shifty-eyed otolaryngologist in East County...;) Seriously, though, you do have to get a Rx, but it really works for me. I think many physicians are put out by the Rx thing even if they're quiet about it, and have been very good about writing them for people. I also do the daily squirt of Nasonex.

postiechic
08-27-2006, 09:54 PM
I have a new skill!!!
snot rocketing....rather nifty lil thing to do I reckon.:p

Grog
08-27-2006, 10:03 PM
Of course, you close the non-launching nostril and give a good toot. This isn't for the faint-of-nose. Nothing is worse than a failed launch (ewww!!!)

My sweet half (who is a male) does not close the non-launching nostril. I can't really explain that, but he just blows out. I could never figure out how he doesn't end up with more stuff on his legs. But now that I think about it, maybe that's why some of the decals on his frame are peeling off...

Anyway, sometimes I wish I could do that too but I can't build enough pressure it seems.

Tater
08-28-2006, 06:54 AM
I too, am a snot rocketeer, but I can only launch off the port side. I cannot clear off the right side without honking a loogie on my shorts, jersey, arm or all three! :eek: Left side stays clean though. Weird!

Geonz
08-28-2006, 08:11 AM
There are gloves made with a surface for snot-swiping (there was a jersey for a while, but it didn't last - marketing issues?).

I can do snot rockets but sometimes it's just a drizzle that won't coalesce properly.

cherinyc
08-28-2006, 11:48 AM
ugghh the eternal runny nose. HATE IT! Mine is especially bad in humidity - like a faucet turned all the way up.
My bf is a pro at snot rockets, and I can do it if I am sitting still (but I would have to stop every mile that way).
Since I started using Albuterol, the mucus is definitely worse, and I have been known to seriously botch a spit attempt. I really hope no one saw it - I swear to you I had a 3 foot string of spit hanging from my face :eek: :eek: :o :o
my solution is a washed-many-many times washcloth (very soft - doesn't scratch my nose), that I shove in one of my back pockets. It's softer than hankies, and it seems to absorb the snot some, so I don't keep wiping it back on my face. My snot happens to be clear and watery - so it just drips, drips, bubbles......have a painted a descriptive enough picture yet? :D
I am wondering if Nasonex might help. Now that I have figured out the washcloth solution, my problem is my ears. I get MAD ear aches in temps as warm as 65. Haven't found a good solution for that - and the pain is debilitating. Can't quite find the right headband thing for my little bean head.

Lise
08-28-2006, 01:31 PM
The constantly runny nose topic was my very first post on TE (*sniff* so nostalgic! :rolleyes: ) For me, it's not really anything I could snot-rocket, just a constant annoying drip. Two things help: Ipatropium Bromide (by Rx) and Cromolyn Sodium (OTC) (I think it's NasalCrom, but I buy the generic) nasal sprays. The first literally dries up the drip, so I have to be careful not to over use it. The second is an allergy med. The combination has been very helpful.

I have rubbed myself raw in the past wiping my nose while running or biking. I'm careful to always have something fairly soft for wiping (like kleenex with lotion) and chapstick put under my nose after wiping. My bike gloves see plenty of wiping action, too. Thank goodness for that "sweat" wiping strip! Yeah, right! :p

postiechic
08-28-2006, 07:03 PM
Ipatropium Bromide

I read about that stuff when i decided to delve online for some info about runny noses. I at least know what causes it.
But i don't reckon that it's sumthin you could use every day, week after week.
Ah well....guess it's part of life and sumthin you gotta learn to live with.

JamamaSpoke
08-29-2006, 05:12 AM
during the middle of spin class last night, my nose starts running faster than I'm pedaling! :eek: Thank goodness for gym towels...

JmcG
08-29-2006, 07:29 AM
Yes, I know what it's like to have a runny nose - I have chronic sinusitis and exercise induced rhinitis. It doesn't matter the temps, if my heart rate goes up, my nose starts to run. I am the queen of snot rockets. I do it in front of the guys I ride with all the time - or else I'm just sniffling which is annoying for everyone and hinders my breathing. I just try not to blow it on anyone, or if anyone is behind me I hold it until I get to the back of the pack. Although, my hubby has gotten plenty of snot rockets his way landing on his clothes, his legs - sometimes he just doesn't clear the way quick enough even if I warn him.....it's not really that gross, right? there are worse fluids to exchange!

li10up
08-30-2006, 07:19 AM
I've found that taking an antihistamine (Loratadine 10mg, OTC) helps prevent the umm, excess sinus mucous production.

MomOnBike
08-31-2006, 07:51 AM
Thread drift alert:

Talk about nostalgia. One of my early memories is feeding cattle in the wintertime (probably about 0 deg F or below) and looking up at my grandmother's nose to see a rather delicate drop of clear, well, snot. It was ALWAYS there.

Sadly, she passed on her runny nose in the cold to me, along with the arthritic thumbs. Thanks, Grandma, just enough snot to be annoying, but not enough to blow snot rockets at my siblings. Just, Thanks.

DebW
08-31-2006, 03:45 PM
I have tried to snot-rocket, but the results are less than satisfactory. So I carry a big ol' bandana (several, actually) and honk my way to happiness.

I'm in the bandana camp. And somehow it seldom stays completely in my pocket (either my jersey or my dockers at work), so I'm usually riding or walking around with flapping red fabric trailing behind me.

pattysue
09-03-2006, 06:40 PM
Rub petroleuim jelly on your nose that usually will stop the runny nose in the winter, but I don't know about during the summer.:)

Kano
09-04-2006, 06:11 AM
Oh ladies, DH loves this forum! When I share new stuff with him, you all make him smile brightly, and laugh, and that's all good!

(I bet he can do snot rockets. Me, I'd likely have failure after failure after failure....)

Karen in Boise

Bex
09-04-2006, 01:02 PM
Now that I have figured out the washcloth solution, my problem is my ears. I get MAD ear aches in temps as warm as 65. Haven't found a good solution for that - and the pain is debilitating. Can't quite find the right headband thing for my little bean head.

I have the same problem with my ears hurting in even mildly cold weather, it HURTS! Last winter I got a Pearl Izumi Microsensor Headband - it's nice and wide, and warm, and that solved the problem for me.

Can't say I've ever been brave enough to attempt the snot rocket (dad did his best to instill lady-likeness in his girls ... I'm definitely not as ladylike as he would like for me to be, but I can't do the snot rocket) ... I do occasionally have to spew an entire mouthful of whatever I tried to drink but my cranky old esophagus wouldn't cooperate ... and if I force down whatever I tried to drink, I then have to deal with an increasing amount of mucus in the mouth which I HAVE to try to rocket (have also ended up with the 3' stream of mucus hanging off the face) ... it's either that or end up blowing bubbles :o

postiechic
09-05-2006, 07:57 PM
gave up on wiping me nose today.....it's been raining non stop all day...so may as well just let the snot mix with the rain

postiechic
09-05-2006, 07:59 PM
Rub petroleuim jelly on your nose that usually will stop the runny nose in the winter
yep, just enuff to block the nostril entrance...so it can't drip out!!

yes i'm joking