PDA

View Full Version : sudden sizing problem

CR400
08-26-2006, 09:46 AM
Ok ladies, when I first got this bike two years ago it was a perfect fit. Now however I have noticed to actually get down low into my drops I have to put my butt over an inch off the back of the seat. Even riding on the hoods I seem to feel cramped so thus the butt goes off the back of the seat again. If I put my butt squarely on the seat like it is supposed to be I arch my back up so that I can't see the front hub because of the bars, somewhere I heard this is a sign that the top tube size is right. But if I strech my back out like it should be (to be comfortable) I see the hub in front of the bars (I have to look backward to see it), like I can stretch out more then the bike will let me. I have lost about 40lbs that I have kept off. But this problem seems to have come up in the past month. I have come to the realization that I may have to raise the seat, get a longer stem, move the seat back, or get a bigger bike. Any of you ever have this happen before? What is your best advice to solve this problem?

Thanks CR

RoadRaven
08-26-2006, 11:42 AM
I haven't had quite what you describe CR

But I did start on a bike whose frame is slightly too big... and it felt great (my racey red Scorpio RA 300 which is now my training bike)

My partner kept insisting it was too long for me, and got me a purty silver and blue Giant TCR Aero (my race bike)... I had barely ridden it 50 metres when I realised how perfect the fit was...

As my miles slowly build, I am changing the seat height (higher) and the bars (lower) so i can be more aero on it.

I also find as my belly reduces (rather slowly) that I fit differently on the bike too...

That probably doesn't help you specifically with what you desrcibe, but maybe it does demonstrate that how we (well, me anyways) need to grow with our bikes and they with us...???

I'm so unsure if this is helpful I am very close to not posting... but I will anyways...

CR400
08-26-2006, 01:01 PM
Thank you for replying. I don't know how to discribe it. It just doesn't fit the way it used to. It seems to short in top tube length.

Triskeliongirl
08-27-2006, 02:28 PM
Perhaps as your belly has shrunk, you prefer to bend more forward,effectively lengthening your reach. Perhaps you should bring the bike in for a fitting. Perhaps a longer and/or lower stem would do the trick, or perhaps moving the saddle back, but you need a knowledgable person that can measure you and look at you on the bike to help you figure this out.

BleeckerSt_Girl
08-28-2006, 05:57 AM
I think your body has just gotten stronger and more fexible over time. Your muscles are adapted to the long low road bike position. Sounds like you can move your seat back a bit and it might give you more peddling power to boot. This is GOOD!
Try small changes with time between each change to adjust.
Move your seat back 1/2 inch and up a 1/2 inch. Then ride it for a week or two and see how you feel.

Triskeliongirl
08-28-2006, 07:34 AM
You should also realize that as you get to be a more experienced rider, you can crave a longer position. Whether the solution is to move your saddle back or put on a longer and/or lower stem depends on how your body sits on the bike, how long are your femurs, what saddle position gets your knee over or a tad behind the pedal axis, etc. I suggested taking into a shop for a professional fitting, or get a friend to measure you using the fit guides in many books like Zinn's cycling primer, Pruitt's, Baker's etc. The saddle height and fore-aft should be set for optimal pedaling effeciency, wherease the reach is a much more personal measurement, low and long is good to cheat the wind, but must be balanced with comfort over the long haul. Over time I did move to a longer and lower position.

spokewench
08-28-2006, 08:31 AM
It is not unusual for your position needs to change on a bike. It sounds like you have lost a bunch of weight and are probably more flexible so you may need to have a longer reach now.

Be careful how you achieve the longer reach, however. If you move just your seat back, you may find that your knee is no longer over your pedal spindle and you could cause problems that way. Go to the LBS, have them move your seat some and measure with a plumb bob, how your knee is over your pedal spindle. You may need to get a different stem, get a different stem and move your seat back a bit? It is hard to tell without seeing the fit.

I've been shortening and raising my stem and handlebars as I get older because I have a bad back. Also, probably just because I'm getting older. I also am not as flexible and wear more clothes in the winter so I will lower my saddle in the winter. I raise it back up in the Spring as I put more miles in and wear less clothes. Fit can be a slightly variable thing. You just don't want to change things like saddle height in big jumps. Just go up or down in small increments and you will be fine!

cherinyc
08-28-2006, 12:50 PM
You should also realize that as you get to be a more experienced rider, you can crave a longer position.

i have been having the same problem - constantly feel like i need to scoot my butt back on the saddle. i went to the lbs and got an adjustment (seat moved back) and it was good. now i find i am scooting my butt back again.
could this be due to a gain in experience? i am still 2 months new (tomorrow will be 2 months actually) but have progressed to riding 40 miles comfortably. (First ride of 5 miles required me stopping 3 times, so 40 miles though short to others - is long to me:D )
maybe my reach is getting better. it was pretty bad to start with.

spokewench
08-28-2006, 02:05 PM
When do you feel the need to scoot back on your saddle?

Remember when you are climbing and you scoot back on the seat a little bit, it gives you more POWER! So, if you are scooting when you need more power that is a natural and good thing!

cherinyc
08-28-2006, 05:41 PM
When do you feel the need to scoot back on your saddle?

Remember when you are climbing and you scoot back on the seat a little bit, it gives you more POWER! So, if you are scooting when you need more power that is a natural and good thing!

my bf and i were talking about that - and I scoot back when climbing, yes - but I am scooting back on the flats as well. I feel like I am sliding forward, but when I try to adjust, it's like I am running out of seat to adjust to. That's what makes me think I need to move my seat back.

BleeckerSt_Girl
08-28-2006, 06:15 PM
I felt liike I was "sliding forward" when I had my saddle nose tilted ever so slightly down from horizontal. When I made sure the saddle was totally horizontal, the sliding down feeling disappeared immediately. We're talking about tipping the nose up or down like 1/4" here, just a little bit makes a big difference in feel.