PDA

View Full Version : Decadence and Indulgence ( thought for food)

Irulan
02-23-2004, 02:51 PM
not a typo <g>

We're always trying to be so good about what we eat .... time to at least talk about if even we don't often eat it.

My favorite decadent indulgences:

Cheesecake. Really good NY style, preferably with a sweet sour cream topping, butter graham cracker crust, ,and maybe a raspberry sauce. After a really good steak dinner. :cool:

I had this turtle ice cream cake from Albertson's supermarket, at a friend's house, that was pretty much to die for. I was a good girl, only had two tiny slices but it was calling to me all night... creamy vanilla ice cream, fudge sauce, cookie crust, some nuts, whipped cream and maybe some caramel....

Nainamo bars.... really good Canadian treat made out of butter, chocolate, crushed nuts and custard powder.

last but not least, high quality Oreo ice cream. Once a year on that one.

ok, your turn to fess up. :D

Irulan

RdDezert
02-23-2004, 05:04 PM
Homemade Milky Way cake (which I don't make often)
chips n dip (cuz I don't keep 'em at home)
Yes, yes, yes! to ex-cel-lent heavy duty, real cream cheese, eggs, buttery crust cheesecake!
and any exotic dessert at a good restaurant
movie popcorn @the buck movie house
yeah, that's my list...for most part
:p

snapdragen
02-23-2004, 07:05 PM
Double chocolate Oreo cookies with milk.

There is a restarant here called Max's that makes a killer Fudge Brownie Hot Fudge sundae.......:D

Tin Roof Sundae ice cream from our local maker - Treat Ice Cream Co.

grannydea
02-24-2004, 08:15 AM
Decandence and Indulgence :)

Well lets see, B & J ice cream just about any flavor. Rich dark chocolate cake with fudge frosting. Defiantly cheese cake. And Dark chocolate of any kind. ;) But then can one live without chocolate I ask??? :confused:
Dea

jobob
02-24-2004, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by grannydea
But then can one live without chocolate I ask??? :confused: I would think no.
My decadence of choice is Ben & Jerry's New York Super Fudge Chunk. Back in my chubbier days I used to be able to down a whole pint of it in a single seating, I kid you not. :o

Veronica
02-24-2004, 08:48 AM
I knew we had a lot in common! That's my favorite Ben and Jerry's too.

If you like peanut butter and chocolate, Dreyer's Dreamery is pretty good. I also like their Coney Island waffle Cone.

V.

spokes
02-24-2004, 12:05 PM
i think i'm gaining weight just thinking about this topic!!

i'm with irulan about the nanaimo bars... they are so delicious, but they're sooooo easy to make my mom keeps 'em aound at christmas. and then we wonder why it's so hard to keep away from junk food over the holidays.:p

this topic is very timely... i'm in the midst of a post-holiday, pre-'old friend's wedding' weight loss effort. it's working so far, but only because the most decadent thing i've craved is lasagna. thank god for small favours!!

ben & jerry's seems to be very popular... i like the one with brownie bits and cookie dough... sinful. (has anyone seen the ben & jerry's jersey? it's on my 'if i had a million dollars' wish list. so expensive, so we can carry around their logo. and yet still i want it... makes no sense.)

and... chips. i loooove chips. if someone could figure out a way to make them a food group, i'd be happy.

Veronica
02-24-2004, 04:13 PM
I have socks with the Ben & Jerry's logo on them. I got them at either Performance or REI, much more affordable than jerseys.:D

I'm not a big fan of printed jerseys anyway. They don't seem to wick my sweat away as well as non printed ones do.

V.

kpc
02-25-2004, 02:30 PM
Never heard of Nananiamo(?) bars, they sound good. At the beaches near us there is a company named Thrashers that sells French Fries, very hot and greasy with peanut oil and sprinkled with Old Bay seasoning,which is similar to a cajun spice, but a regoinal specialty for crabs. You can get a huge paper bucket and walk along the boardwalk burning you fingers and feeling sun and wind. Sooo great. My coworker and I came close to leaving work today and driving two hours just to go down to the freezing beach just for Thrashers fries! But practicality prevailed and we didn't. Besides Thrashes fries, I love potato chips and Reese's cups.

Irulan
02-25-2004, 02:43 PM
while we're on the dessert thread,

I know I always think of this stuff as BAD and it is!! To me that means, be smart about it. Moderation.!!!! Don't scarf the whole thing, but a small peice or two.

It's funny for the most part I've lost my aste for sugar and I don't eat sweets every day. My guys ( hubby, two teens) love ice cream and at any given time we'll have 2-4 boxes in the freezer and it's really wierd but I just dont' eat it. I make cookies for the kids and don't eat half the dough any more.

I"ll hvae to dig out a recipe for nainamo bars... impress your friends and family.

just thoghts.

i.

Veronica
02-25-2004, 02:44 PM
I googled a recipe for the bars. They do sound good.

V.
http://people.cs.uchicago.edu/~alain/nanaimo.html#basic

Irulan
02-25-2004, 02:50 PM
variations, yummy!! I've had mint before. Canadians tell me it has to be Birds Custoard powder to be authentic and not instant vanilla pudding.. but that can be hard to find.

funny, I cna't even deal with food right now and I'm posting to this thread.

Veronica
02-25-2004, 03:33 PM
Peanut Butter cookies - I'm making some as we speak (read/write whatever) :D

First batch is in the oven. I'm a convert to natural peanut butter. I started it as a low sodium thing, but the taste is just so much better! And in cookies... YUM!

V.

PS Fuji apples and peanut butter is my favorite work snack.

pedalfaster
02-25-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Irulan

It's funny for the most part I've lost my aste for sugar and I don't eat sweets every day.

I was thinking that while I was reading this thread. I don't think of myself as a "dessert person". I'll have ice cream after a long ride in the summer though.

My idea of indulgence is baking a really cheesy-gooey spinach lasagne...and eating half of it! Or making that second (or third!) trip to the buffet at the local Indian joint. Or potato-leek pie...with half a bottle of really good Champagne. MMMmmmmm.

Oh and I hear you on the natural "just peanuts" PB. PB and apples or PB and celery...great snack! Almond butter is nice for a change too.

Kpicha
02-26-2004, 05:51 AM
Geez, Thank God I didn't read this yesterday or I would have died, being Ash Wednesday and all. :)

That cheesecake with raspberry on it sounds AWESOME! I'm trying to broaden my horizons and try things other than chocolate. Man, there's a lot of good stuff out there. No wonder why Americans are such fatsos. :)

jobob
02-26-2004, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Kpicha
Man, there's a lot of good stuff out there. No wonder why Americans are such fatsos. :) Nah, it's because we as a nation don't bike enough! ;)

jobob
02-26-2004, 07:14 AM
Reminds me of the first time a co-worker from Denmark came out to visit our office. I was taking him back to his hotel and he turned to me and asked, "Hope you don't mind my asking, but... why are Americans so fat?" Of course, this was while he was sucking down a cigarette :D

But really, cycling (and exercise in general) is much more a part of daily life in Denmark than it is here. And biking is so much easier there. The roads in downtown Copenhagen are full of genuine bike lanes (not the sorry excuses for "bike lanes" we have out here which appear and disappear at random) - their bike lanes are distinctly separated from the road and from pedestrian walkways, and have their own traffic signals. During commute hours it seems there are more bikes on the road than autos, people are cycling to and from work in all sorts of weather. The bus and train stations have large areas of bike racks, and they are often full to overflowing. It seems to me that bicycling is much more a part of their day to day lives than it is here (where in general it seems to be regarded as an eccentric hobby). I imagine it's like that in many parts of Europe.

Back to topic: The soft-serve ice cream in Denmark is to die for, especially with dark chocolate flakes (chocodris) on top. yummm!

Kpicha
02-26-2004, 07:30 AM
Oh yeah, I'll never forget the women I saw riding in a fur coat, ball gown and high heels!!:eek: That really threw me for a loop :) That was in Italy.

I'll have to give the edge to Copenhagen though when it comes to beer since I didn't try any desserts when I was there. ;)

ChainsOflove
02-26-2004, 04:04 PM
I like PopTarts. :)

Veronica
02-26-2004, 04:13 PM
What flavor? Hot or right out of the package?

V.

Irulan
02-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Veronica
What flavor? Hot or right out of the package?

V.

some of the guys I with insist that Poptarts are the best trail food ever....:rolleyes:

Irulan

Adventure Girl
02-26-2004, 05:42 PM
Originally posted by Irulan
some of the guys I with insist that Poptarts are the best trail food ever....:rolleyes:
Irulan

I ride with a guy who swears by poptarts as trail food... It's funny when we get to a spot for a break. Others are eating cliff bars, Gu, etc... He breaks out a pack of frosted cinnamon poptarts!! The "regulars" always know he'll be eating these, but any newbies are always shocked.

podium junkie
02-27-2004, 06:11 AM
Pumpkin Pie!! And Scandinavian Sour Cream Apple Pie. Starbucks Mocha Coconut Frappuchinos. Tim Hortons Ice Caps. Baileys double layer chocolate cake. Skittles. I could go on forever! Oh man, I'm starting to drool. This thread is torture!:(

pedalfaster
02-27-2004, 06:16 AM
All the talk of Poptarts made me laugh. Our women's riding group in Texas was named "Team Poptart".

Weirdest food I've ever seen pulled out of a Camelbak on a group ride? A cheese burger and Doritos. Seriously. Ugh.:p

Irulan
02-27-2004, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by pedalfaster

Weirdest food I've ever seen pulled out of a Camelbak on a group ride? A cheese burger and Doritos. Seriously. Ugh.:p

That is disgusting. A guy, right?

Irulan

pedalfaster
02-27-2004, 08:25 AM
Yep, a guy.

His comment was "A man's gotta eat!"

:D

grannydea
02-27-2004, 08:30 AM
Oh podium junkie

About the Baileys double layer chocolate cake, is that home made and would that be by any chance Baileys irish cream??? :eek:
D

Veronica
02-27-2004, 09:57 AM
Another favorite - homemade apple pie with with a good Scotch added to the apples.

V.

kelrunran
02-27-2004, 10:41 AM
Chips and dip........any "fresh" cake! Chocolate anything! One more thing - a hot Krispee Kreme! They just built a Krispee Kreme here in Boise (not only within biking distance - but unfortunately within walking distance from my house) - um um um......glad it's Friday (treat day for me :))

podium junkie
02-27-2004, 11:07 AM
Hey there grannydea!

You betcha it's Baileys Irish Cream! This cake is my own secret recipe. Can't make it too often or I'd have to bike 100 kms a day to work it off. My willpower takes a walk when it comes to this cake.
Also to make my pumpkin pie "happy" I add a splash of brandy. Don't like drinking alcohol but I LOVE cooking with it! :)

podium junkie
02-27-2004, 11:11 AM
Ahhhhh! Don't say Krispy Kreme around me!! That was my one addiction last January. Those hot, yummy ones are sinful! Never cared for donuts much until I made the mistake of trying one of those.