PDA

View Full Version : Fluid or Mag?

RdDezert
11-30-2003, 04:31 PM
Howdy there!
I can understand all the opinions you received on trainers! How 'bout I just give you my experience??!! Do you live on ground floor first of all? If you don't, it doesn't make much difference cuz the vibration of using a trainer will rattle the neighbors below :( . I've used rollers, wind, and now have a magnetic trainer. For wind vs. fluid, fluid gives harder resistance even in the lowest gears, not great if you have knee problems or don't want to develop them. It also doesn't allow for higher 'spin' like wind does. I didn't think wind trainers were even sold anymore & yes they are loud. I think you would like a magnetic trainer instead, gives resistance (you can adjust it easily), less noisy, easier on knees, and gives you the ability for high leg rotation (optimum use of energy). But do try each one at your local bike store, especially if they offer spin classes, and see which you prefer! Good luck.

Veronica
11-30-2003, 05:00 PM
I have to disagree with what RdDezert said about fluid trainers. We have the Kurt Kinetic and really love it. I have not used any of the other types of trainers, but I can tell you that as someone who easily has knee pain, a properly set up bike on the Kurt doesn't aggravate them and I have been able to spin at 130+ RPMs (I have a cadence sensor) and not in the granny gears either :D

I suppose if you had a fixed gear bike in the trainer then maybe you wouldn't be able to spin as well.

As far as leaking goes, the newer ones are completely sealed. Overheating - they do get hot. But not like they'll cause a fire. I ride with a fan. The fan actually produces much more noise than the trainer.

Veronica