PDA

View Full Version : say no to dogs that bite.

cathy
02-22-2004, 06:14 PM
My epic ride was about 1/4 a mile.

About a month and a half ago I was bit while on my bike. I was riding down my street when three dogs (two Huskies and a Mastiff) ran out to "greet" me. They ran out in front of me and, being the dog lover that I am, I slowed down so I wouldn't hurt them. They didn't retreat so I continued on my way. The Mastiff jumped up and took a bite into my ribs before I could take off.

Nothing broke. I had a puncture wound, some scrapes, and a lot of bruising. I'm fine now and riding again. I find myself riding in groups and out of the residential areas.

When I got home I researched what I could have done differently. Turns out that every dog will respond differently depending on various situations. I think I was lucky I wasn't knocked over and bitten more, possibly by all three dogs.

Cathy (aka dog bait)

Irulan
02-22-2004, 06:37 PM
so are the dog owners going to pay your medical? Have they been cited for dogs at large and or viscious dogs? did you file a reprot? I'm a dog lover but I think this kind of thing isnt' taken seriousy enough.

Irulan

cathy
02-23-2004, 04:24 AM
The dogs were picked up by animal control. The one that bit me was quarantined. The owners were cited and they paid to pick up all the dogs. They conveniently disconnected their phone and moved! The sad thing is that a small child was also bitten by the same dog that bit me, and I doubt he was able to pedal away on a bicycle.

RdDezert
02-23-2004, 05:14 PM
ohmigawd!
What a scary & awful tale. I'm glad you are ok. I'm a dog lover too and that is just way wrong. I'm sure they don't have the dogs registered either, that would be the only way I can think to track them--might have not moved too far away surprisingly enough! I've been chased & jumped at while riding, couple of friends hit them while on bikes (luckily riders & bikes were ok, don't know 'bout the dogs). I've been accused of being a *itch when I tell, then yell @people to control their dogs on either foot or bike. Folks just don't think to connect their brain cells together sometimes!

cathy
02-23-2004, 07:18 PM
Yes, it was scary. I think the dogs were probably penned up in the back yard. They got out through a few broken fence planks. My guess is that they were scared and/or abused.