PDA

View Full Version : weight

hellosunshine
08-24-2006, 12:15 PM
this business of weight,how on earth do you know what you are meant to weigh,some of the guys i race with are stick insect thin,im begining to wonder if i need to seriously address he weight issues and shed a bit,im 49.5kg NAKED:eek: and 5'5"......aged 39.......

Eden
08-24-2006, 12:21 PM
that sounds pretty thin already to me
listen to your body - if you starve yourself you certainly won't be helping your racing at all and certainly don't compare yourself to men. Women need more body fat to continue producing all of the nice hormones that we need to stay healthy.

mimitabby
08-24-2006, 12:38 PM
this business of weight,how on earth do you know what you are meant to weigh,some of the guys i race with are stick insect thin,im begining to wonder if i need to seriously address he weight issues and shed a bit,im 49.5kg NAKED:eek: and 5'5"......aged 39.......

how many stone is that :) ??
you sound like you're in great shape. but don't show us a picture of you naked.

Grog
08-24-2006, 02:13 PM
50 kg (about 110 lbs for those who wonder) is really thin for 5'5".

You certainly don't want to loose weight, that would be muscles. Actually you might even benefit from gaining muscle weight (or maybe not).

Don't worry about it.

chickwhorips
08-24-2006, 02:22 PM
50 kg (about 110 lbs for those who wonder) is really thin for 5'5".

:eek: and sunshine you don't think your thin! sheesh!

how do you feel? do you feel good? powerful? fast? if you feel good and like what you have its a perfect weight. though adding muscle like grog said could be a good thing (or bad), but you will weigh more.

i go by how i feel (thankfully bc i swear the scale lied to me on sunday).

extra-vert
08-26-2006, 09:35 AM
If my conversion is right then you are right around 109lbs?? At 5'5" that's great! You're luckier over there in Europe than us Americans in that not nearly as much of your food is sabotaged like ours with hydrogenated oils and other things that don't need to be there. Our nation is getting FAT FAT FAT - and a huge reason for this is the fact that our packaged foods are so damn fake! Of course I can go on about this, but I know it's only the tip of the iceberg. My good friend from France eats Nutella every morning. She's a size 0. She looks very healthy. She will only eat the nutella friends and family bring her from France, because unlike our nutella (which looks identical on the outside) hers does NOT have hydrogenated oils in it!!! Anyway, that is only one example, and she is a very disciplined person who naturally practices portion control. That said, there is a lot us Americans can learn from others nations and cultures about our diets and our attitudes toward food. Enough from me, I'll shut up now.

jobob
08-26-2006, 09:49 AM
Hee hee. Reminds me of the time a co-worker from Denmark came out here to visit our US site.

I'm driving him back to his hotel and he pipes up, oh so politely, "May I ask you a question?"

and I said "Sure".

"Why are Americans so fat?"

All this time he's puffing on a cigarette ...

extra-vert
08-26-2006, 09:54 AM
I suppose we have to choose our evil. That is pretty funny though.

hellosunshine
08-26-2006, 11:33 AM
fear no!the girl that beat me today was large......so not all bulk is fat,she was a bundle of power!ref the question in the midst of all this!how do i feel?despondant at the moment,last year i was 1 min quicker over 10 miles,there again,my times for 25,50 miles are tthe same,and i did my first 100 this year,slow course,windy day,scraped under 5hrs with a puncture,so maybe my brain is kinda suited to longer than shorter distance,STILL,I WANA BE FASTER!

RoadRaven
08-26-2006, 12:34 PM
Hey there Sunshine
You sound plenty light enough for your height
Women will tend to look heavier than men because we have more fat, and we cannot get down to the same leaness as men without compromising our health.
Thats a physiological fact - so be careful in your consideration of weight loss.

Also, remember that one part of being faster on the bike is the power to weight ration equation.

Yes, losing weight is extremely advantageous to riding faster, however, at some point the 'perfect' power to weight ratio is reached (which is unique for every individual).

If you drop below this weight, your power output begins to decrease.

How long have you been biking for? If its not long - that is - only a year or two, then you have only just established/or begun to establish a good base for improving speeds/times. Perhaps you should consider some specific training such as intervals, or hill reps, or motor-pacing.

Also consider what kind of riding you like - if you like enduro flattish courses, or time trials, then a little extra weight is not as important as if you wanted to be an ace hill-climber.

Specific training may build muscle and you may add a pound or two, but you need muscle to make you stronger and faster. Its a worthwhile compromise.

Good luck

limewave
08-26-2006, 07:12 PM
If you want to be faster, maybe work on your leg strength and build the strength-to-weight ratio. I, on the other hand, need to work on the weight end of the ratio, I have plenty of strength. I weigh WAY more than 109lbs and I'm only an inch taller. I've been working with my doctor and she wants me to shoot for 25 more pounds but no more than that--and that would still be more than 110 lbs.

Oh, and I SAG'd for my husband this weekend in a tri and was shocked that a woman who was my size kicked his butt! I didn't think larger woman could run fast--but she ran 7 minute miles in a rather lengthy tri. She's my new hero. DH is sooo sick of hearing about getting beat by a girl, but she rocked. I want her autograph.

SAMbike
08-27-2006, 04:55 AM
Just for reference, I'm 5'3" and 113 lbs and I've found that to be my ideal racing weight. I do lift weights so have a fair amount of muscle mass. I believe that you can be too this, too light. If I go down to below 110 I do not have the strength that I need to compete on a mtbike... but that's just me.

You might be interested in seeing what the expert responses are to similar questions posted to the cyclingnews.com forum. There are many, you can do a search for the topic, here's an example:
http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=2004/letters05-17

hellosunshine
08-28-2006, 05:16 AM
again,brilliant thread you posted,ive decided that trying to lose weight has been a daft idea,im now in a state of faintness post riding and generally becoming withdrawn,i thinki maybe im starving myself of the energy that makes me happy!so ive stopped the nonsense and am eating to win again,thanks,its easier somehow to talk to people in a different country on things that really bother me,i dont want to be labelled in britain as getting in a twist with some issues you openly discuss on these forums!

SAMbike
08-30-2006, 06:54 AM
Glad to hear it! There's such a range of weights that work well for different heights. Again, it's all about what works best for you. Check out this chart:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/fitness/?id=2006/rider_weights

Happy riding!

7rider
08-30-2006, 07:16 AM
Glad to hear it! There's such a range of weights that work well for different heights. Again, it's all about what works best for you. Check out this chart:

Happy riding!

Wow. Interesting....
Well....I can't make myself any shorter, as I'm a bit taller than all those women's points. But I'd have to drop 20 pounds to be in their range....30 pounds if I want to be a successful climber.
Yikes!
Good think I have no dreams of being a "top pro" on the bike! :p

GLC1968
08-30-2006, 08:08 AM
Wow. Maybe I'm looking at that chart incorrectly, but the women's weights seemed very, very normal. The men, on the other hand, seemed extremely light.

I looked up my height....and in comparison to women pro's my height, I'm about 10-15 lbs from being in the smack middle of the range...about what I expected seeing as how I'm about 10-15 lbs from my ideal weight.

When I looked up my husband's height, I was was shocked. For his height, he is almost 30 lbs over the men pros average. And my husband is not even slightly overweight! He just dropped 15 lbs at the beginning of the season to get where he is now and he doesn't have much spare weight to lose! He really would have to let his upper body atrophy significantly to compete (not that he plans to). I'll have to make sure he doesn't see this chart! :eek:

7rider
08-30-2006, 08:20 AM
I'm 20 pounds from dead center, but geez, my DH is right there - just south of dead center in the "climbers" range. My whole family thinks he's some tall, skinny oddity!! I come from a family of hearty eaters!

solveig
08-30-2006, 10:35 AM
Ok, so after looking at that chart, it seems I'm a bit on the light side. I'm 5'4", 105 lbs, and have built a lot of muscle since starting to ride more this year. I'm also a vegetable farmer, and schlepping sweet corn and cucumbers helps with the upper body. I feel good and strong - but I'm 5# lighter than the lightest climber for my height.

So do I aim to just try and build muscle? Is it even possible to build that much muscle? I just have my doubts that gaining weight via the baked goods route is really healthy...

Any insights? Thanks.

run it, ride it
08-31-2006, 06:06 AM
okay--I've been there. High performance athlete (varsity running), 5'5", 115lbs, 17% body fat. Yes, even -heavier- than the original poster. But that was muscle, and let me tell you, my genetics do NOT dictate a thin build.

I looked like a freak. My period stopped, I lost my boobs; I -thought- I was eating too much because I kept collecting fat around my jaw and middle, but that was just my body going into starvation mode. I had to stop running due to injury; thought it would be a few weeks offtime.

Two years later, I think I -might- be ready to go back into light speed training. But with my injuries I simply cannot push the speed. Cycling has been a godsend: non-impact excercise that I can't hurt myself with the same way I did running; easy on the asthma; builds all the right muscles. When I was too injured to run a track practice, the workout was modified and I sentenced to the stationary bike. Now, I hardly think of cycling as a second-rate sentence!

I am finally getting my curves in the right places. The weight under my chin is dissipating. I know when I'm hungry and don't just have to guess. My metabolism isn't going to speed up any and my digestive system is a nightmare, so I have to be extremely careful of what I eat--but damn it, I look like a girl!

I look THINNER now at 124lbs because I have a jawline and a waistline. My hormonal levels are normal. I feel emotion again; trust me, going from 'training too hard to feel anything' to 'experiencing all repressed emotions from aforementioned time period' is no walk in the park.

What I'm trying to articulate is: DON'T push your body past its normal function. Doctors will tell you it's 'normal' for high-performance athletes to stop menstruating. Normal does not mean healthy. Your hormonal levels are worth more than a few percent body fat.

hellosunshine
11-07-2006, 11:48 PM
bother,ill come clean,usede to have anorexia,over the last year its been nipping at my heels,now im more under weight and depressio n has kicked in i havent the energy to be happy and bike performance in decline,need to get on top of this NOW dr has prescribed antidepressants and ive had to rehome my dog as its another stress.so,does anyone know of a sports nutritionalist that would understand the bike and eating disorders,one prob im having over here is as im 48kg im not considered a liability even though im 5'5 1/2" so the medical staff keep ignoring my weight loss.i know it needs to be adressed,surley there are some sports people that do offer paid advice through the world of email etc.i feel daft now as ive kinda touched on the topic but time to be more honest now.

im ususally such a bright bubbly spark too,need to get myself back together asap!

Dogmama
11-08-2006, 03:49 AM
A few thoughts from a person who suffers from depression when she isn't actively treating it:

Carbs are "feel good" foods. They need to be complex carbs - think oatmeal, whole grain breads, etc. This will boost your serotonin level.

Are you getting therapy? Talk therapy combined with antidepressents has been shown to be the best combination.

Are you getting your meds from a psychiatrist or from a regular MD?

Regular exercise is good but limit yourself. One hour on the bike every other day, for example.

Do you suffer from SAD? Are you more depressed in the winter? Light therapy might help.

How is your alcohol consumption? Drugs?

Pedal Wench
11-08-2006, 07:29 AM
You might try getting in touch with someone who's been down your path: www.dotsiecowden.net. Dotsie is a pro-racer, who's overcome her eating disorder, and even more. Plus, she's just a sweetheart. You can use the 'contact us' on her website. Since she's interested in training, she would be more than happy to help you with your issues. I've emailed with her about a bunch of things, and she's very willing to help.

Good luck, and keep us posted. Don't suffer this alone.

CycleChic06
11-08-2006, 07:54 AM
okay--I've been there. High performance athlete (varsity running), 5'5", 115lbs, 17% body fat. Yes, even -heavier- than the original poster. But that was muscle, and let me tell you, my genetics do NOT dictate a thin build.

I looked like a freak. My period stopped, I lost my boobs; I -thought- I was eating too much because I kept collecting fat around my jaw and middle, but that was just my body going into starvation mode. I had to stop running due to injury; thought it would be a few weeks offtime.

Two years later, I think I -might- be ready to go back into light speed training. But with my injuries I simply cannot push the speed. Cycling has been a godsend: non-impact excercise that I can't hurt myself with the same way I did running; easy on the asthma; builds all the right muscles. When I was too injured to run a track practice, the workout was modified and I sentenced to the stationary bike. Now, I hardly think of cycling as a second-rate sentence!

I am finally getting my curves in the right places. The weight under my chin is dissipating. I know when I'm hungry and don't just have to guess. My metabolism isn't going to speed up any and my digestive system is a nightmare, so I have to be extremely careful of what I eat--but damn it, I look like a girl!

I look THINNER now at 124lbs because I have a jawline and a waistline. My hormonal levels are normal. I feel emotion again; trust me, going from 'training too hard to feel anything' to 'experiencing all repressed emotions from aforementioned time period' is no walk in the park.

What I'm trying to articulate is: DON'T push your body past its normal function. Doctors will tell you it's 'normal' for high-performance athletes to stop menstruating. Normal does not mean healthy. Your hormonal levels are worth more than a few percent body fat.

So happy to hear that I'm not the only one that has experienced this. I went through the same thing. Swim team did it for me, I am 5'4, and somewhere around 105 lbs. My period stopped, I had almost no body fat, I was a stick. I can't imagine what was going on with my body because at the time I know I wasn't getting enough nutrients to keep myself healthy, who knows what kind of long term damage I've done to my bones and organs. Worst of all I just looked sickly thin.

Here I am a 8 years later, I weigh 135lbs - yes 30lbs is a lot and it's a little more than I would want, but that's ok (I'm vowing to take off 10lbs). I feel good, I look healthy and people I haven't seen since I weighed 105lbs tell me how good I look. And I still get comments on how skinny I am - even at this weight (I guess I hide it well).

But just really think about the long term damage you are doing to your body, it's not worth it. When you're old and gray you still want to be riding, or just even walking for that matter.

spokewench
11-08-2006, 08:05 AM
I'm a little above average - but my husband is still in the climber arena at the age of 52! He is disgusting! He has the highest metabolism I have ever seen.

If I could bottle that metabolism, I could make a fortune.

KnottedYet
11-08-2006, 08:26 AM

Happy riding!

Hmmmm, there's a pro woman rider at my height and weight. Wonder if I could borrow her bike....:p

Brandi
11-08-2006, 08:46 AM
Wow 110 and 5'5 sounds good to me I would take that! I guess we all need to be different in our own minds. I have been the same weight for years now (give or take a pound or two) and I ride almost every day, yoga etc... And i seem to stay the same. I am not as tone as I used to be but i should be happy that I am built pretty good. OK I ACCEPT MYSELF! There I said it! Who is going to join me!

Bluetree
11-08-2006, 09:13 AM
Being underweight definitely means loss of performance. Last year after a nasty car accident, I could no longer exercise and burn the calories I was taking in. Afraid of getting fat, my "solution" was pretty stupid... I stopped eating. After a while, the lack of exercise and reduced intake made me lose my appetite all together. I also slept a lot more, my period slowed by half, and I had no energy or inclination to go out and do things. When my weight dipped into the low 90s my parents became so worried that they hinted at an intervention.

The light switched back on after I put on a pair of pants and they fell off. At the time, my chagrin had less to do with my weight and more like, "I paid $250 for these pants so I better be able to wear them!"

After that I started eating regularly again. When it was back to a normal 105-106, I resumed my fitness activities and started feeling healthier all round. Now at around 112, I feel as strong as I have ever been. Much stringer than at 105. And I really don't care about being thin anymore... the feeling of sheer POWER I can feel coursing through my legs offset any vanity or insecurity about body image. And my pants fit again!

Confucious may not agree, but for me DOING is more rewarding than simply BEING.

spokewench
11-08-2006, 10:37 AM
Okay, I'm going to tell you my story of weight and it may not seem so hard cause I've never been heavy, but it does describe how being too thin can just not be too healthy!

In my late teens, early 20's, I was an exercise girl on the thoroughbred race track. I wanted to be a jockey, but never quite made it that far (but that's another story). At that time, I was a skinny kid; I never weighed much more than 103 pounds and most of the time closer to 100 (I'm 5'4"). Remember I wanted to be a jockey and that is one profession where being obsessive about your weight is pretty important AND VERY DETRIMENTAL TO YOUR HEALTH. Being a girl and young and just thin naturally helped me out. I didn't have to take Lasix (diuretics), sit in a hot box, starve myself, throw up everything I ate, or anything like that. BUT, there were many days when I was not feeling too good and really should have been eating more so that I could feel strong. Some days those horses would just pull my arms out of the sockets and I can remember one day when I wish I had more strength cause I had a horse bolt right thru the outside rail - talk about scary. (Me and the horse ended up okay, scraped up real bad, but not seriously injured) My sister thought I looked sickly and she was probably right. Looking back, I would have been a lot better off if I had weighed more and had more muscle. The guys were not as lucky as I was since they were mostly bulkier and more muscle bound being the guys they were so they were doing all those things listed above and more! Suffice it to say, most jockeys do not live long and healthy lives because of the practices they have to keep to stay thin

So, later in my 20's when I took up cycling, I was weighing more in the range of 110 pounds and let me tell you this was really a lot better for me. I was stronger, fitter, more full of energy and feeling pretty healthy. However, I was never a very good climber (some of this was because I was a new cyclist, but some of this was because I did not have the strength at that weight). It is different for everyone.

So, in my 30's, I went up to 115-118 and this was probably my ideal weight. I was strong, but still light enough. I got to be a decent climber at that weight.

Now, in my mid 40's, I weigh around 123-125. Wow, that's a lot more than I was when I was young huh. Am I slower up hill - Well, surprise, surprise, No, if I train, I'm just as fast uphill if maybe not faster.

So, remember, weight is not everything. It has a lot to do with training, fitness, strength to weight ratio, etc. Lighter does not mean better!

hellosunshine
11-08-2006, 11:49 AM
you darlings!all i need now is a printer,print off these experiences and post them around my room,thatd be fantastic motivation,THANKYOU.

FEEL SO MUCH BETTER BEING HONEST AND SHARING IT ALL.

Grog
11-08-2006, 06:29 PM
The following article, and the movie it's about, should interest a lot of us...

http://thetyee.ca/Photo/2006/11/08/Thin/

hellosunshine
11-16-2006, 11:32 PM
has anyone any other leads with sports nutritionalists?seem to be getting nowhere,infact eating more and still losing weight so well worried.DR tues,told my coach,eerie response of silence,eeeeeek...............blinking stigma of eating disorders,arrgh.IM DETERMINED TO CRACK IT THIS TIME!:)

hellosunshine
12-06-2006, 12:45 PM
Update (boring soz!)changed diet to better quality foods and adopting the gi method.RIGHT!not gaining weight,so is the best way to increase the diet by a set amount ,its a battle mushing up my brains,an athelete trying to kick hell out of an eating disorder.making me a tadge tired and weepy,,damn damn.sososo wana smack this illness for good,i suppose its a bucket of courage,and a bit of biker bloody mindedness.

Duck on Wheels
12-06-2006, 01:24 PM
Hi sunshine,
I can so sympathize. Was a time I went into an uncontrolled weightloss spin (due to intenstinal disorder, in my case). I kept looking for weight-gaining diets, but all the well-publicized ones are about losing more, never about putting some back on. I "bottomed out" at 50kg and I'm 5'9", so you can imagine how little muscle I had on me! I ended up getting help from a nutritionist. Turns out I had lost some key nutrients that had to be gained back -- along with getting the disorder under control, of course -- then the weight came back on. In fact, I overshot the mark but was too nervous about over-losing again to do anything about it until recently. Now I am slooooowly inching my way down where I want to be. Slowly seems to be a key here. So my advice:
1) Don't be too stressed out and impatient about this. Work your way gradually back to where you feel you should be, and listen to your body along the way. You want to put on muscle, not just fat, so you'll need to eat just a tad more than you're burning and keep on working out.
2) Talk to a nutritionist, if you can.
3) Take the time to enjoy your food. Make it look good and taste good. Have nice music on, or a good book handy -- whatever makes it more fun. Eating is not a duty, it's a pleasure. You eat because your body wants to eat, not just because it's the sensible thing to do. So take the time to listen to your body thanking you for the good food.
4) You might want more than 3 meals a day. Multiple smaller meals rather than 3 big ones are less likely to leave you feeling stuffed and uncomfortable.
5) Maybe prepare several meals in advance, so you don't get tempted to skip or postpone meals just because of the time and effort of preparing them.
6) Take along energy snacks when exercizing, and remember to eat them. That's in addition to your regular meals. If you're undernourished, you may be "bonking" regularly and taking that to be a normal state of affairs. That could perhaps explain the tiredness and weepiness. Also a burst of extra energy here and there along the race or ride may give you back some of that speed you're missing.

Good luck to you! Recognizing that you're running out of power and that it may be related to the weight loss, that's a good start. And you're also addressing the problem by eating more. Stick with it and you'll get back in shape, maybe better shape than ever! :)

spokewench
12-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Talk to a nutritionist - but you might try some of this too.

My hubby has an incredible metabolism - nothing else wrong with him; if you can call that "wrong".

When he used to train, ride all the time and race, he was "incredibly skinny". Now, he doesn't ride, race, etc. that much and is just "skinny".

What we found helped with him, was he would eat regular meals, many meals, not all low fat. He would eat some things that have a good amount of fat - (you still have to be careful with this for the obvious reasons) but don't try to cut out all fat. Make it good fat, but make sure you get enough. And, of course plenty of carbs, protein and fiber.

Also, add supplements - try the after exercise sports drinks. Drink a whole bottle every time you come back from a work out. (these tend to put weight on or at least with my hubby hold the weight). Now, if he feels like he hasn't gotten enough calories with his meal, he will drink one of those meal replacement drinks i.e ensure to help him hold weight.

hellosunshine
12-22-2006, 04:35 AM
NASTY DISEASE!right,10/10 now having a massive calorie intake of the right kinda foods and have risen from 48.2kg - 48.6 and guess what!nasty disease wants me to stop .........yet ive still gotta get up to 50kg to feel stronger again,and nutritionalist reckons 54kg wouls be brill.arrgh.am thinking the anorexia is a football and i need to give it a good boot.hard work.

RoadRaven
12-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Hey there Sunshine... sounds like you have a helluva lot of bravery and courage deep inside you that won't quit, and that nasty illness is battlilng, but you and your body and mind are battling back.

Keep believing in yourself an your ability to achieve your goal... you can do this - we know you can... all the women here at TE who have read this thread hold you in their hearts or minds and battle virtually with you.

Keep writing us, every gram you achieve is wonderful and today you write its nearly half a kg!!! WOOHOO!!! And I look forward to hearing that you are feeling stronger and stronger and stronger...

Kia kaha, kia manawanui
(Be strong, be of good heart and believe in yourself)

Arohanui (big/much love)
Raven

logdiva32
01-15-2007, 10:18 AM
I agree sounds very thin,but if it works for you. Becareful and do more reaserch before you go smaller, perhaps even so a Dr.

I am bearly 5'4 and 139. I would like to be 135-136. I can't get it, without starving or feeling sluggish. Anytips? I have to keep muscle mass, as a B-ball player need my size. But can't unload my tummy after 3 babies in a row. Help.

RoadRaven
01-15-2007, 12:45 PM
But can't unload my tummy after 3 babies in a row. Help.

I had five, my youngest is 11 years old and I am beginning to reclaim my body at last.

After two years of cycling I have dropped 10kg and gone down two dress sizes... however, the "loose" tummy muscles are still there and show no signs of getting firm again. While I still need to lose some weight, I need to consistently build in some tummy crunches to pull my muscles back into line.

When we are pregnant, our tummy muscles relax and the hormones allow the muscle fibres to stretch. Pre-pregnancy they go up and down... and while pregnant they move to allow baby to grow so they curve out towards the side of your body...

After one or two babies they generally "bounce" back into shape... after three or four they need work to teach them where they are supposed to be (particularly if you had babies close together... like me, I had five children in five years... they are currently 18 1/2, 17, just 16, 13, 11 1/2 )

Build tummy crunches into your day, and take it day by day
:)

logdiva32
01-16-2007, 02:20 PM
I mean nothing by this towards you, but I pray it doesn't take 11 years to get my nice tummy back. It was no issue after babie 1, who is now 15. I was only 19 and in great college basketball shape, my body bounced back. But now after delivering a bay a few years ago who past after delivery, then delivering my3 and 2 y.o. exactly 12 months apart and now at 34 years old. I can't pull it together, I do about 150 diffrent cruntches per day. I've inquired about tummy tuck but HB says no way.

I want to add this protein shake, but have to figure out where to cut 200 cals per day in order to add the protein shake in.

Bfast is Raisin brand (or some fiber cereal) and fat free milk or something like that
Lunch, small 4" sandwhich lean meat wheat bread, litle mayo. Or lean cuizine frozen meal.
dinner usually grilled chicken or fish with steamed frozen veggies.
No sugar drinks, two granola bars at 10:00 and 5:00 to get through my workouts. I don't know where to cut the cals at???

logdiva32
01-16-2007, 02:25 PM
Good luck to you HelloSunshine, keep fighting, we all have our hang ups, food, sex drugs, self esteem.. Just keep fighting, ok...

LBTC
01-16-2007, 09:16 PM
My good friend from France eats Nutella every morning. ...because unlike our nutella (which looks identical on the outside) hers does NOT have hydrogenated oils in it!!!

The store brand I buy here in Canada has canola oil and palm oil, but nothing hydrogenated. It's yummy, too, especially spread on whole grain raisin toast with "just peanuts" peanut butter too.

Yummy!

Ah, yes, and the weight v body image debate. At my lightest in the last 20 years (117 lbs at 5 1 1/2") I was not as strong as possibly even now as I try to regain my fitness (135 lbs). My goal for muscle strong weight is 125, because I've been there and understand that I can be strong and fit and fast at that weight. If I manage to dip down to 122 or 120 I won't complain ;) I still feel that I looked my best at 117 lbs, but I'll take how I feel when I'm fit and strong over the look of the lighter weight!!

Lots of positive vibes for healing for you hellosunshine!

Hugs and butterflies,
~T~

Wahine
01-16-2007, 09:50 PM
Hey HS, I'm just wondering how you're doing with your weight battle. We're all sending you posative thoughts and vibes. Let us know how you're doing.

hellosunshine
01-17-2007, 12:47 PM
positive people=positive actions.

so foremost thankyou!especially as i live alone and i dont get intimate support.slowly ive told a few friends,and thats taken guts as eating disoprders carry a stigma.everyone has been brilliant,the dr agreed,"put on some weight"but unfortunately if it was that easy i wouldnt have been sat in his chair!!!!!i didnt lean forward and nut him though:) a freidn also directed me to www.cyclingnews.com/features.php?id=features/2003/eatingdisorders1....this reinforced the notion people suffer and people GET BETTER and im doing the right thing,however scarey that is.i magaged to gain 400grammes,so am 48.4kg and now ive got complacient and have my head in the sand re upping dietary intake again,which is SO SO frustrating as i want and need to be stronger,

so your enquiries will help me gather my courage again.

its hard when some people say "you look well/great etc etc"when deep down im shattered,im not as strong as i was,have mood swings and tend to socially isolate myself etc etc,lots of you have been there,which has made contacting you such a good thing as you have GOT BETTER,all positives,which i thrive on.

anyway,ive got an all over body scan this fri for osteoporosis.

how on earth do you eradicate the anorexia saying no,dont increase food intake???ive got to imagine that as a damp squib and im a bit fat foot stamping onit.

have found little help in the GB,i duno why,i suppose also people not realiseing that i need the support a recovering alcoholic would get etc,i did see a nutrition man but he sort of laid out a plan and then released me to get on with it,which i suppose is what will gain me the long term strength to conquer once and for all!

wow!was that a long winded one?????

Wahine
01-17-2007, 01:18 PM
I'm glad you're still plugging away at it HS. I have severaly friends that have struggled with anorexia and it is very hard to control. As you said, it's like alcoholism, a disease that you live with forever and have to fight everyday and every minute. Hang in there.

RoadRaven
01-17-2007, 02:26 PM
I mean nothing by this towards you, but I pray it doesn't take 11 years to get my nice tummy back. It was no issue after babie 1, who is now 15. I was only 19 and in great college basketball shape, my body bounced back. But now after delivering a bay a few years ago who past after delivery, then delivering my3 and 2 y.o. exactly 12 months apart and now at 34 years old. I can't pull it together, I do about 150 diffrent cruntches per day. I've inquired about tummy tuck but HB says no way.

No offence taken at all... I got my tummy back after each of the first three babies, and in fact was lighter after baby three than i had been before I first got pregnant.

But with baby 4 (10lb11oz) I was busy with two preschoolers and one just at school, then unexpectadly pregnant again and when he was born I enrolled at university and began study for a teaching qualification when he was 6 months old. Working part-time in my third year of study and then straight into full-time work after graduation, I have just had no "me-time".

So now I have "me-time" as children have gotten older, and my study is now only one or two papers a year. So its time to "find" my tum again.

Def no to a tummy tuck - good choice hubby to say 'no way' - time and committment will regain that flatness again, its just a matter of making it happen.

Crankin
01-17-2007, 06:20 PM
I think the tummy issue after babies is somewhat genetic. I've always carried weight in my lower half (hips and butt). It doesn't matter if I'm at my ideal weight, overweight, or even too skinny, this is where it goes. I had 3 kids in 4 years (one didn't make it) and really did not have tummy issues after each. I had weight to lose, but it was from all over. My mom and my aunt were the same way. I think just doing crunches is boring and probably Pilates and/or Yoga would help, too.

Anorexia is very difficult. Society rewards us for looking "thin," but doesn't support us when it becomes a problem. About 20 years ago, I weighed 10-15 lbs. less than I do now. REALLY skinny. It was basically from over exercising, but my friends were constantly being asked if i had an eating disorder (which no one would ask if they really knew me, because I love to eat). The sad thing was that inside, I secretly liked people noticing how low my weight was. Once I stopped working at health clubs, the pressure to be so skinny was less.

hellosunshine
01-17-2007, 11:51 PM
OH DEAR!seeing people wanting to diet and getting into shape,makes me jealous and doubt.its a nasty addiction,

i have to be responsible for MY health and gain WEIGHT for me as WEIGHT=POWER=BIKE STRENGTH=EMOTIONAL STRENGTH=LIFE.

some times you really have to blinker yourself and keep focused,male cyclists seem to get way with low body fat% women dont so much,brainwasjing myself in doing whats right fopr ME.

someone suggested hyphotherapy,eeek,im not so sure....advice?

lph
01-18-2007, 12:25 AM
hellosunshine - remember that "getting into shape" is different things for different people. For a lot of us it means losing a little weight, for some of us it means gaining some. For ALL of us it means making sure we're keeping our bodies as healthy and happy as we can, which has much more to do with good eating, enough sleep and enough exercise than exactly how much weight we're carrying.

Wishing you luck!

RoadRaven
01-18-2007, 11:29 AM
So Sunshine... you began this thread and all sorts of bits have arisen from it...

But I want to know how your weight gain is going - a while back you were eating plenty and still losing weight... have you sorted this? Are you gaining yet?

I know this is important for you and I am interested...
Arohanui
Raven

hellosunshine
01-18-2007, 11:18 PM
yes!lets be positive,ive gained 300g now and stopped losing.!!!

isnt sleep a wondeful thing,mentioned above in a recipe for health.MORE!!

TIP TOP

RoadRaven
01-20-2007, 09:33 PM
way to go Sunshine... so pleased to hear the inexplicable weight loss has stopped

:))

Wahine
01-20-2007, 10:44 PM
That's great sunshine. Everyday a little closer to good health. I'm very happy for you. Keep it up.

hellosunshine
04-20-2007, 11:34 PM
OH DEAR!so,stuck at 46 kg.and my speed has stabalised too,im off the pace of last year and my recovery isnt A1.

so,i KNOW least i think that its due to loss of power/weight etc-well,so im told SO..........how the hell did you lot make sure you ate the extra to gain weight,especially as 99% of the bike population are exhonerated for losing weight,its blinking tuff..........went to dr and we cocluded its being strong willed about it all,i wonder if im doing the right thing but reading your posts half of me knows i am-just need to kill the gremlins of doubt.

RACING TODAY....thurs did a tt and a girl i used to beat put 26 secs into me.bother bother.

hellosunshine
06-20-2007, 11:26 PM
been out of cyberspace,so mig a battle its being!!!47kg.phew,ok 1/2 kg but taken me a lot of anguish and 3 months!!!!!and won a bike race sat-gee the medics so so wishy washy,all theyre interested in is my "mind" and all i want is help and support gaining weight to ressurrect my bike strength!!!!

ANYWAY,been signed by a new team so its something to aim for and a team that believes in me-DONT YOU FIND SELF ESTEEM is the route of EVERYTHING????

and,ordered this today,human kinetics, "disordered eating among atheletes" couldnt get it on amazon so a hefty 32-blimey!loadsa scientific research in it too,so should be able to trick my brain and continue to do the right thing..........i suddenly have a drive and real vigour tp crack IT again!

violette
06-21-2007, 06:01 AM
I'm 5'5", 39years old and weight 54.31kg. People look at me like I'm anorexic and ask me if I eat. I eat like a lumber jack.

You sound pretty thin, I definatly wouldn't loose any weight if I were you. Are you a good biker or do you have a hard time following others? I bike a lot and run 8km every other day. I have a hard time keeping weight on. Bikers are thin because ofcourse the lighter you are, the faster you go, but they also have very muscular legs.

LBTC
06-21-2007, 06:24 AM
hellosunshine! Nice to see you again! Sounds like you've made some progress in the right direction. YAY! A new team, even!!

Keep that determined attitude, but do try to cut yourself some slack, okay? Every journey has some dips and valleys.

Hugs and happy butterflies,
~T~

Resi
06-21-2007, 06:26 AM

I was a professional ballerina in Europe and we all had to be thin, thin thin. With 5'6" I was 50 kg and I was all bone with a layer of skin, yes that was with age 20-30, now I am 55 kg with age 50, yes I could complain, but it is what it is. I could loose the extra 5 kg, but it would look not good in my face, I have to decide.
What I want to say, stay like you are, this is a perfect weight, don't loose more then you will loose your strength.

Good luck

Resi

RoadRaven
06-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Hey there Sunshine... glad to see you back and staying focused on what is healthy for you - eating and maintaining or gaining weight...
Congrats on being signed up for the team - a wonderful personal boost for you and hopefully another supportive group to help you keep the weight on.
Best wishes as always
Raven

smilingcat
06-21-2007, 01:50 PM
Welcome back. I was wondering about you. And congratulation. Signed onto a new team :d

many happy races,
Smilingcat

hellosunshine
06-22-2007, 11:31 PM
I was a professional ballerina in Europe and we all had to be thin, thin thin. With 5'6" I was 50 kg and I was all bone with a layer of skin, yes that was with age 20-30, now I am 55 kg with age 50, yes I could complain, but it is what it is. I could loose the extra 5 kg, but it would look not good in my face, I have to decide.
What I want to say, stay like you are, this is a perfect weight, don't loose more then you will loose your strength.

Good luck

Resi

yes,this is the prob-after that original post i went down to 46kg and did lose my strength,things took a bad turn!!!!and from being strongish on the bike i became weakend.very frustrating,ive regained some self esteem and am now moving forward,i have lost bike strength for sure,but the experience has been a cautionary tale.DONT DO IT!ive still won some races this year,but i know my end of season will be more fruitful if i really get my act together now!your postings have been great-shows that being so thin is plain WRONG,facts and figures support this=added proof im doing the right thing!!!xx

hellosunshine
07-13-2007, 11:37 PM
THANKS KIDDIES,well lost that weight and felt relieved and then got cross that id lost bike strength,now ive been 47kg again for 2 days this time i gotts hold it,eeek,your words DO help,make me think im doing the right thing,oh to have never got into this spiral!racing today,fingers crossed........

Duck on Wheels
07-14-2007, 07:24 AM
I was gonna say that's awfully thin, depending on how tall you are. Then I noticed we were on page 5, leafed back a ways and saw you are working on GAINING weight. Good for you! And I'm glad it seems to be working. You sound a bit frustrated that it's going slow, but you do want that weight to be mostly muscle, so that means eating just a tad more, getting enough sleep, and still working out pretty hard ... which will mean slow weight gain. Glad it's going the right way for you, and winning the odd race should help keep you optimistic. :)

RoadRaven
07-14-2007, 12:52 PM
Great to hear you are holding that weight, Sunshine.
How'd your race go?

knapplaura
08-13-2007, 05:12 PM
HS,

I would recommend Liz Applegate's Book: Eat Smart, Play Hard. It is awesome. She gives good explanation of macronutrients, sample eating plans for multiple sports, even an eating plan for gaining weight that is muscle not fat. I have referenced it many times.

Best of luck; I have been in your shoes too. Many years ago, went anorexic, then bulimic, then addicted to diet pills. Learning about real nutrition and surrounding myself w/positive people made the difference.

Laura:)

hellosunshine
08-14-2007, 10:54 PM
thanks!isnt amazon ace,got it for 1.75,brill!

struggling around the 46.6kg mark despite reading and reading that low weight decreases heart rate,strength etc etc,got a 100mile RACE this weekend,so need to brain wash meself to eat extra.GUILT FREE.I WANA DO IT IN 4HRS 40,will let you know!

Wahine
08-14-2007, 10:58 PM
Wow Sunshine, that's an amazing goal. good luck on the ride and on continuing to gain weight. Take care of yourself!!

crazycanuck
08-14-2007, 11:00 PM
Hey Hellosunshine! I've been wonderin where you disappeared to!

Take care

C

knapplaura
08-15-2007, 02:51 PM
Sunshine,
One caveat on that book, her eating plan for a century ride is if you stop and picnic at lunch not hammer!

For good on-bike nutrition, I rely on Hammer Nutrition's Success for Endurance Athletes booklet. It talks nutrition, hydration on the bike. Though you never mentioned that as an issue, it may be helpful for you anyway.

Good luck on your ride. Ensure you taper down and eat well in preparation. Especially eat something nourishing 2 or 3 hours before hand!

best wishes,
Laura

hellosunshine
08-16-2007, 03:49 AM
its a ra ce though!the top blokes will do it in 3 hrs 30!there aint no stopping for me mate!!!:D

hellosunshine
08-20-2007, 04:16 AM
bother!it was a very very hard wet and very very windy day,4,48.52 and i need shooting,i stopped for a pee,damn!managed to eat 100 calories extra than normal but wish id had eaten more as im strill starving hungry,the top bloke did it in 3.48,crikey!but he is a royal marine and the fastest girl 4.32,i was second girl,beat loadsa men hahaha

lph
08-20-2007, 05:32 AM
bother!it was a very very hard wet and very very windy day,4,48.52 and i need shooting,i stopped for a pee,damn!managed to eat 100 calories extra than normal but wish id had eaten more as im strill starving hungry,the top bloke did it in 3.48,crikey!but he is a royal marine and the fastest girl 4.32,i was second girl,beat loadsa men hahaha

You rock, sunshine :D Keep re-fueling! That's a fine machine you're running but it needs FUEL.

FH Cyclist
09-09-2007, 10:43 AM
I'm reading the posts and seeing Sunshine's struggles and want to wish you, Sunshine, all the luck as you battle this disease. It is a disease and requires a lot of work. I've had friends with this disease and it takes a lot of work and includes therapy.

For those who are struggling with how much to weigh, I emphasize getting a body fat test. I am 5'5 and now 50 years old. I started to gain weight when I was 34 and decided I needed to weigh 110 pounds. That seemed about right to me. I got my body fat test and it showed, at 135 pounds, I was at 24% body fat. So I increased my weight lifting and aerobic exercising and dropped to 121 lbs. I thought I was doing well and needed to lose only another 11 pounds. I went back and got my body fat tested and was at 14% body fat. I figured out that I was never going to weigh 110 pounds and so I needed to change my expectations of what my right weight needed to be. Now, I was assisted in this by my knowledge of my weight when I got back from a cross county bike tour during the summer after my sophomore year of college - and I weighed 118 pounds. During the ride, I had also lost my period so I decided that 120-125 pounts would be right for me.

Everyone is different but for many people having some solid measurements about your body fat, your height, whether you are large boned or have more muscle mass than most, will help.

I've just started to ride again and can't figure out why, after 2 months I haven't lost any weight - so I think I should go back and get a body fat test to see if I am gaining muscle mass. Hopefully that's the case.

Unfortunately, for those who have eating disorder diseases, the measurements don't matter much so this probably won't help for Sunshine. However, I'm hoping you, Sunshine, will find something that works for you.