PDA

View Full Version : Essential winter commuting clothing/gear

divingbiker
08-22-2006, 03:45 PM
I was just looking at the Terry catalog I got in the mail and started wondering what warm clothes I need to start collecting for winter commuting. Does anyone have any favorite warm jackets, tights, underwear, shoe covers, gloves etc that will help make commuting through the winter bearable?

DebW
08-22-2006, 04:13 PM
Tights with windproof front panel. Windproof but breathable jacket. Helmet liner or balaclava. Neoprene booties. Lobster claw windproof mittens.

7rider
08-22-2006, 04:27 PM
Did you see the movie, Shrek??
I tell my friend and fellow commuter...."Be like an Ogre...an Ogre is like an onion. They got LAYERS!!!!" :D

Ditto on the lob-stah gloves and shoe covers. Balaclavas are good...I also put a reflective helmet cover on (I'm a regular glowing vision in the winter....I don't want to give anyone any excuses that the didn't see me).

I have a Decente Shelter jacket that I like. Let see if this link works:
http://www.coloradocyclist.com/common/products/productdisplay2_v2.cfm?PRRFNBR=37918&CGRFNBR=801&CRPCGNBR=801&CI=1,263,801&TextMode=0

I once read that ... if you are warm in the first 10 minutes of your ride on a cold day...you are dressed too warmly.

light_sabe_r
08-22-2006, 05:45 PM
Were I live I get by with arm and leg warmers (sometimes only knee warmers or 3/4 knicks) It's always very DRY during winter here so windproof rather than waterproof is ideal. Basically get the gear that matches your climate of winter. If you live in a desert area it's unlikely you'll need waterproof stuff. etc etc...

however!
Full fingered gloves are a must!!! Your fingers get the BRUNT of the cold wind so cover them up.
It doesn't get that all that cold here but I was so SORE from the cold I'll be updating my glove collection when they go on sale soon. lol (winter's almost over in OZ)

Ear warmers... headband or beanie. My poor little ears were so windburnt and cold commuting in winter.

betagirl
08-22-2006, 05:54 PM
oooo good thread! Considering I live in Chicago :D I'm going to do my best to commute through the winter. I may be involuntarily committed by my friends though.

mimitabby
08-22-2006, 07:09 PM
wool!
I wear some older cashmere sweaters (no longer pretty) as teeshirts under other bike stuff. You can buy this stuff at goodwill or salvation army if you don't have any old sweaters of your own...

And of course I just bought the ibex wool knickers... and then i always wear wool sox, all year round. I also have a light wool pair of long johns...

Then... booties... these are nice... I wear them all winter.

Then there are these little cap things that fit nicely under your helmet..
they keep in heat like you wouldn't believe. I used to wear bulkier stuff
but this works just as well and fits better.

lastly, OVER your nice bike gloves get some of those really fluffy black gloves. They are made of fleece. until you warm up (if you do) they will save your hands from misery and numbness.

mimitabby
08-22-2006, 07:12 PM
oh, one more thing; and this is the cardinal rule in Seattle, so it is good to know.
LAYER
LAYER
LAYER
LAYER

wear lots of layers, then you can take stuff off when it gets too warm..
stow in pack in back and when it gets cold again, you can put it back on..

twin
08-22-2006, 07:16 PM
Wool worn in layers or wool and other types of fabric layered are a good winter combination. Rivendell has wool shirts for layering and others do also. When I had a 26 mile commute(total) I found with wool and a lightweight jacket was a pretty warm combo for the top and tights that have a double type fabric worn under jeans or by themselves seemed pretty good bottom layer. I also use sometimes winter bicycling boots and they are toasty and maybe a little to toasty. I wear a wool hat and sometimes a headband under the wool hat if it is really chilly. Enjoy your winter commutes.

twin
08-22-2006, 07:18 PM
gloves and if it is colder worn under windbreaker gloves.

Kitsune06
08-22-2006, 08:52 PM
Did you see the movie, Shrek??
I tell my friend and fellow commuter...."Be like an Ogre...an Ogre is like an onion. They got LAYERS!!!!" :D

To further quote Shrek:
A commuter in hot weather wearing sweat-soaked wool will also be like an ogre...
"They make people cry?"
"Yes, they... Wait... No.... Layers!!"

jobob
08-22-2006, 09:07 PM
I bought a pair of Sporthill Pursuit tights last winter and they are super for cold weather.

http://www.teamestrogen.com/products.asp?pID=11618

They have no chamois, I wear them over my regular cycling shorts.

Their sizing is a bit different than other manufacturers, I ordinarily wear a M in shorts but I ordered the tights in size L and they fit great.

postiechic
08-22-2006, 09:28 PM
Ear warmers... headband or beanie. My poor little ears were so windburnt and cold commuting in winter.
cold...in Brisbane?! c'monnnn......try moving south for the winter. Please don't tell me you'd wear earwarmers in 10C!!
ok...then how bout we swap..I'll move to Brissy and you give Melbourne a try :D

light_sabe_r
08-22-2006, 11:37 PM
Please don't tell me you'd wear earwarmers in 10C!!
ok...then how bout we swap..I'll move to Brissy and you give Melbourne a try :D

I haven't yet but my ears were freezing. So yeah I'll give it a go. lol Better than a BEANIE right??

Trust me Postie... I'd rather not! lol It's not cold during the day but in the morning it's cold... Not as cold as there! GEEZ last time I went I caught a tram to bridge road... FREEZING, walked straight into a sass and bide discount outlet spent 200 bucks on shirts, woolen jumpers and work pants... then walked into the nearest loo and put them all on over the top of what I was already wearing. Nah thanks.

lol Like I said, Armies, Knee warmers and long fingered gloves for up here in the winter. And a headband. ^_^ That'll be my kit out next winter. Right now even though officially it's winter I'm kitted out in my sleeveless Jersey! God only knows what Summer's gonna be like 0_0

crazycanuck
08-23-2006, 01:34 AM
*evil cackle* *evil cackle* :p

Heheehehehe....winter awaits you my pretties...hehehehehheeh

May the snow force be with you...

Light-what are you on about it being cold in brissie...It's not cold in aust...go to my hometown in Canada in the middle of winter & you'll understand cold. Or you could trade places with CWR...

:eek: summer awaits me...:eek:

c

betagirl
08-23-2006, 03:40 AM
Heheehehehe....winter awaits you my pretties...hehehehehheeh

See that's not nice :p I noticed you're in western Australia. So, not knowing any other cities in western Australia I looked up average high's and lows in Perth.

According to weather.com, August is listed as the coldest month for Perth, January for Chicago.

Average August Hi/Lo in Perth: 64F/46F (18C/8C)
Average January Hi/Lo for Chicago: 31F/16F (-1C/-9C)

What's your hometown in Canada? I went to toronto in November once and about died. It was just a whole other level of cold.

Gee, who "wins" that competition? Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Ok, not thinking about it. It's still August. :cool:

DebW
08-23-2006, 03:43 AM
Agree on the helmet cover over, liner under. Keeps head nice and warm.

For core, I usually wear a long sleeve wool jersey, a thin fleece vest, and a windproof jacket down to about freezing. The vest keeps your core warm, but lets you dump excess heat to the extremities when you start to overheat.

Nanci
08-23-2006, 03:47 AM
I have a pair of windproof in the front tights from Performance that I LOVE. They are super warm, and good in light rain, even. My PI Calientoes are good down into the 50's, but lower than that I'd want more serious foot warmth. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out what that is, yet. A Bolero would be good for days when it is cool in the morning then warm in the afternoon. I also have a jacket from Early Winters that is fleece, but windproof in the front/breatheable in the back- that's nice to layer. I have a couple wind vests- but I don't know how much good they do. I wouldn't buy one of those unless you have money to spare. But I have a nice Shebeast wind jacket that is super light that layers nicely.

crazycanuck
08-23-2006, 04:11 AM
sorry to hijack the thread for a moment...

Hey beta,

Wow! I didn't expect anyone to look up the weather for Perth..

Right, first of all it's not cold here. People look at me & think :confused: when i wear shorts and it's 5c. (Also, there is a huge difference though betwn houses here(nz included) & in North america...you have central heating...we don't.)

I'm from Edmonton, Alberta and my idea of winter is when temps get below -20c...plus the windchill. I miss Canadian winters....snowdrifts, windchills, black ice, chinooks, toques, parkas, plugging the car in (people are amazed when we tell them about this..)

Oh yeah, layering is good...

c

Geonz
08-23-2006, 06:02 AM
Coldest I've ridden in was four (Fahrenheit), but I only have a 7 mile commute. Any further and I might hvae to resort to those lobster gloves; so far reasonably thick full-fingered gloves have done the trick. Unfortunately, they ended up near the toaster and melting, so I have to invest (there's another, good pair **somewhere** - maybe near my big light - so I hate to replace with other good ones just yet).
I have also managed to get by on unsophisticated layers, though I've picked up one or two "fancy wicking fabric" base layer tights that I use on those colder days. It'll be snug tights, looser tights, and sweats on the bottom; up to four layers on the top.
I got a Gore-tex rain suit given to m e this summer that will be a sweet outer layer those times, too.
Something to cover ears and face is necessary... my little ears are very sensitive.

Lise
08-23-2006, 01:56 PM
I hate that we're talking about this. :(

I'm going to remember this thread is here, though, so I can refer to it when I'm ready to deal with reality.

I don't plan to commute when there's snow and ice, but I sure do hope to ride much longer in the cold this year, and earlier next year.

mimitabby
08-23-2006, 02:09 PM
it must be odd for those who are in 100 deg weather, sweating, etc, writing about insulated gloves inner liners and helmet covrs :p

Triskeliongirl
08-23-2006, 02:40 PM
Aaah, but those of us riding in 100 degree weather NOW, have just our arm and leg warmers and wind vests to look forward to for the bulk of winter! But yes, wherever you live, layer, layer, layer. Over the years some of my favorite pieces I've collected include: arm warmers, leg warmers, ear warmers, glove liners (all drilyte type fabric), light wind vest, heavier weight wind vest, gore tex jacket with pit zips. I've used these pieces in various combinations touring all over the world. Breathable fabrics and ventilation is a MUST, as I find overheating can be just as big an issue as being cold. In the mountains of chiapis we would go from arm and leg warmers in the morning, to shorts and a short sleaved jersey by afternoon, to a goretex jacket by evening, over the course of single day! It can be expensive to put all this stuff together, but I did pick up a few nice pieces on ebay.

Evie
08-23-2006, 03:50 PM
Do you wear anything over your face?
...I'm clinging to summer like all get-out.

DebW
08-23-2006, 04:21 PM
Some people wear ski goggles to protect the eyes and face when it's very cold. I've never resorted to that personally. Balaclava covers the neck and part of the face.

Bron
08-23-2006, 11:19 PM
A buff is quite good if you find a balaklava too heavy. I use mine to hide "hat hair" when I get off the bike too.

Now a question. How cold does it have to get before you stop commuting? I'm worrying about how I'll cope if there is ice on the road. The main worry is safety rather than getting cold.

Bron

DebW
08-24-2006, 08:44 AM
Now a question. How cold does it have to get before you stop commuting? I'm worrying about how I'll cope if there is ice on the road. The main worry is safety rather than getting cold.

Bron

I do not ride my road bike if there is snow or ice on the road. Apparently some mountain bikers love that stuff, but being on skinny tires on ice or snow and sharing the road with cars just seems too hazardous to me. What I do is monitor the overnight temperature, and if it was below freezing and the roads are likely to have been wet, I will not ride. If it has been dry for several days then I will ride with the temperature below freezing. The conditions I tend to worry about most are spring days with daytime temps above freezing and nighttime temps below freezing and snowpiles on the sides of the roads - daytime melting means ice on roadways every morning.

mimitabby
08-24-2006, 08:49 AM
I don't even drive my car to work if there's snow on the road! When we get snow it's a big holiday! why waste it going to work?!??! :D :D
okay, but if it sticks around for a couple days, i end up going in... sometimes coworkers have to come get me. I am afraid of all the other crazy drivers
who have never driven in snow before..
so no i would NEVER EVER ride a bike in snow or ice unless it was in the wilderness and i had no choice.

short cut sally
08-24-2006, 09:10 AM
I don't commute, but i do ride in the winter on occasion of dry roads. I have a pair of the tights mentioned by nanci that are the wind proof/almost water proof tight. they remind me of something like a rubber material, but they work like a charm., and the backs of these tights are regular material so they vent okay. i also have a jacket that i bought on clearance from a sports shop, that is made from the same material as the front of the perfomance tights but the inside reminds me of long john type material. they said it was more for x-country skiing activity but it works perfect. i usually get by with a tundra jersey from performance or a hooded winter jersey from a LBS and this jacket. granted i ride in high 30degree range maybe 40's with these and do fine. i defintaly use the ear band wrap-a-mabobby thing if i don't wear the hooded jersey. gloves are going to be my next investment, using x-country ones now but not enough padding in those, sad to say it's august and i'm looking at the winter catalogs already. but i've gotten some ideas already from this thread, so thought i would share mine..

chickwhorips
08-24-2006, 10:35 AM
Light-what are you on about it being cold in brissie...It's not cold in aust...go to my hometown in Canada in the middle of winter & you'll understand cold. Or you could trade places with CWR...

hey it doesn't get cold here, it just never warms up! :eek:

like everyone else (all year round) i layer. cold times i have the PI tights with the waterproof/windproof front and breathable back. very comfy here. top i have an REI light weight jacket that i can layer up thats windproof and waterproof. everything her has to be wind/water proof. even some of that stuff doesn't hold up in our weather, but it helps.

Nanci
08-24-2006, 11:05 AM
The inside of the Performance windproof tights is cuddly and fuzzy, though!

I am looking forward to wearing a couple new LS jerseys I bought on sale in the spring- especially the pink Terry Cashmina...

alpinerabbit
08-24-2006, 11:48 AM
I need suspenders for my PI amfib tights , as they droop in the back exposing my kidneys.

I did not buy bib tights as I am looking forward to running in them too.

SalsaMTB
08-24-2006, 11:51 AM
I have not commuted in winter, but I have done some off road rides in winter. I would highly recommend getting some foot warmers to put in your shoes. Even with the covers and wool socks, my feet were still cold. The warmers did wonders!

For my legs, last year I just wore my bike shorts, long john, and cheap tights you can get at any sporting good store. It worked out well. If you need to go cheap, it works, if you have some extra money, splurge for the nicer, cycling cold weather tights.

For days with ice and snow, I personally wouldn't commute. I can't even imagine riding on roads that are hard to drive on. Way too dangerous!! If you have the bike lanes that are not next to the road, that might work. I'll mountain bike off road in snow and ice, no way would I even go on roads with my mountain bike in those conditions. If I had sidewalks the entire distance of the commute, I could see doing that, but remember they wouldn't be plowed!

Lastly, depending on the hours you work, you'll probably need a nice light if you do not already have one. The days are getting shorter, so you'll probably be riding in the dark. I would highly recommend splurging on the the head light!! Oh, and don't forget a tail light also!

Oh, one more thing. I don't know how they handle snow and ice in your area, but here, they use a lot of salt. I would imagine this is pretty rough on a bike. DH and I plan on doing a decent amount of road riding this winter and will not be using our nice bikes, instead we'll use our older mountain bikes. If they use a lot of salt in your area, be sure to clean the bike after each ride or build up a retired frame with retired components you have laying around and use that :) Other girls might have more experience on this though, so feel free to comment. Like I said, I have only been off-road during the winter, not much road riding, but salt just seems like a bad thing for a bike.

Geonz
08-24-2006, 01:13 PM
Studded tires :-)

I haven't done it yet, but I'm thinking of it.

Generally, though, we have those nice plows that take care of things. I am thinking if I had the studded tires, I could go in to work and not worry about things turning for hte worse.

I would, however, not get onto a road where cars were sliding around. Period. I work at a big ol' college and somebody would give me a ride, or I'd finally figure out the bus route home...

Selkie
08-25-2006, 12:07 AM
Aside from the days when there was snow/ice, I rode all through last winter. I used a polar buff under my helmet to keep my head/ears toasty, and on the days it was really cold, made it into a balacava to cover my face/neck. Usually three layers for my core: Craft thermal shirt, then jersey, then jacket. To keep my hands warm, chemical hand warmers and Amfib lobster-style gloves. Tights w/chamois and on particularly cold days, I'd layer leg warmers under them. Wool socks, chemical foot warmer, toe covers and good quality booties/shoe covers for my feet. The worst part of winter riding is cold hands/feet.
I would never ever ride if the roads/trails had enough ice/snow that it was hard to get around the slippery patches safely. It's not worth risking injury and possibly months off the bike.

run it, ride it
08-25-2006, 05:30 AM
Am I the only one who commuted last winter and totally winged it? That was rhetorical. I'm young and crazy like that.

As a student in a small univeristy city, I got fed up with unreliable public transit and most often opted to take my 70s road bicycle to campus. Man, was I glad when I got fenders on that thing.

I usually ended up in running shoes, tights, jeans, glittens (gloves with the flip-up mitten part) a few zip-up sweatshirts and an autumn jacket (couldn't afford a winter jacket for myself--horse got a brand new winter blanket instead).

The weather of course ranged from -5 to -35 celcius (23F to -21F), and that was before the chill of the unrelenting, numbing wind that tore through every fibre of one's being. The snow was thick and wet and deep, but through the magic of snow removal equipment and salt, bare pavement existed below a few inches of slush in the bicycle lane (this was entirely new to me--at home they just plow and sand; you just learn to drive on a layer of snow. And yes, I learned to bike on it, too. Just never, EVER hit the brakes.).

You'd see the odd bicycle around campus from the other odd commuter. Or maybe from someone who just abandoned their bike there; with the general quality of university student mounts, you never can tell. But they were all thick-tired, heavy, capable mountain bikes.

Not me! I came chugging up on that road bicycle entirely out of its element, skidding every which-way, gears slipping from rust and salt encrustation.

Mind you, the commute was only 5km and most of that was uphill. And young skin bounces back quick from frost bite.

Geonz
08-25-2006, 10:14 AM
You totally rock :) :D :) :D

You are so right that you can get away with a lot in 5 km. especially with the exercise factor. I'm always telling people that I'm **way** warmer on my bicycle than they are standing at the bus stop!!

My skin gets pretty flaky, pretty fast, though, with the exposure. Need that essence of whale blubber or something...

I almost always did t-shirt, sweatshirt, and two jackets... and was fine. No special gear... no wicking... just LAYERS.

Selkie
08-25-2006, 12:34 PM
one last thing--actually I'm echoing someone else's advice--invest in a good, high quality headlight, a tail light, and some extra little lights. You cannot be lit up enough.

postiechic
08-25-2006, 02:39 PM
Wow! I didn't expect anyone to look up the weather for Perth..

Right, first of all it's not cold here.
ah, yeah, it is
I was there in june....hoping/expecting nice-ish weather
averaged about 15C for a whole week. Finally got to take my jumper off on the last day! dammit!
then it was back to tropical melbourne....not

farrellcollie
08-25-2006, 08:54 PM
If you wear glasses - that stuff that makes them not fog up is essential in my opinion - I go through a lot of it in winter because of wearing face mask fogs glasses up pretty quickly