PDA

View Full Version : Skin problem, help!

latelatebloomer
08-21-2006, 05:50 PM
Well, I am back on my road bike, got a bike fit session which made me more stable, comfy and stronger, I'm riding clipless again, and training for the Seagull Century on 10/7. But as Roseanna Danna said, it's always something.

I'm having a painful skin - breakdown, I guess - in the crease of my inner thigh. I took some time off to heal - a week of brilliant riding weather, arg! -
at first I treated with neosporin and lubed with Body Glide for riding, but things only got worse. DH took a look and said he gets same from being sweaty for too long (PA humidity)- and now that I'm riding, I DO get much sweatier than I used to, sometimes for hours. I just kept the area clean and try, used talcum, and it healed slowly. But...yesterday's 35 miler started the irritation again. Again, arg!! I gotta train!!

Sage advice, anyone with same problem? (Large rider, here, btw)

DebW
08-21-2006, 05:59 PM
You could try chamois cream instead of Body Glide while riding. That works better for me. To promote healing off the bike I'd think the more air circulation the better, so loose shorts and no underwear would be my suggestion. That may or may not be helpful in your case.

esther231
08-21-2006, 07:43 PM
If it's a heat rash, you could try the powders out there for heat rash. Okay, some of them are labelled for jock itch. :eek: But it's a heat rash they are treating. You want something that will dry it out, allow it to breath and protect it.

For actually riding, I have no clue what will work best - I haven't gotten that far yet. :p

massbikebabe
08-21-2006, 07:57 PM
Tough Actin Tinactin...powder that is...

karen
waaaay to much experience with jock itch at my house:eek:

esther231
08-21-2006, 08:03 PM
lol

tygab
08-21-2006, 08:19 PM
A fine place for posting on whatever's ailing you... :)

Selkie
08-22-2006, 12:13 AM
Here's what works for me: Bag Balm before I ride. Then afterward, get out of your wet shorts ASAP, shower, and if there is any chafing, put Aquaphor on the irritated area.

Nanci
08-22-2006, 01:45 AM
I'd use something a lot more substantial than body glide, like Udder Balm or Brave Soldier Friction Zone or Butt Butr, then wash with antibacterial something, (but that might be too harsh- so I would monitor that) and then coat with either Aquaphor or Brave Soldier Healing ointment for when your done, _and_ put on a second coating of either of those before bed.

Nanci

latelatebloomer
08-22-2006, 02:56 AM
thanks for the suggestions. I've heard you all talk about Brave Soldier products before - would a large sports store/outfitter carry them? And what is Aquafor & where can it be got?

Nanci
08-22-2006, 04:02 AM
Aquaphor is made by Eucerin. Any drug store should have it, in the hand lotion section. It's very much like a thick petroleum jelly.

Brave Soldier is available on line- Performance Bike has it. You _might_ find it in a retail drug store or bike shop, but I'd be surprised. I HIGHLY recommend it. They make a very nice Crash Pack- a small pack of everything you need to fix a bad road rash on the spot. I use the healing ointment on everything, including my birds. _Love_ the Friction Zone for riding.

Nanci

BleeckerSt_Girl
08-22-2006, 05:08 AM
Just a note: if you read the ingredients of bag balm/udder balm...it's basically petroleum jelly with some anti-bacterial stuff in it.

Squirrel 2
08-22-2006, 05:41 AM
I've heard before not to use petroleum jelly products on a rash -- they seal it in too well & don't let air get through.

I get these too in the summer, particularly over the last couple of weeks we had here. I use a chamois cream, I don't think it matters which one, rip the short off as fast as possible when I am done & head for the shower. Wash the area carefully, no harsh scrubbing, then use Gold Bond medicated talcum powder on that area during the day. Avoid underwear with an elastic pantileg opening that will rub, and put on Eucerin cream at night to help it heal but allow it to breathe. That usually does the trick for me.

eclectic
08-22-2006, 01:50 PM
Just went to the Doc this morning for my yearly. I still have a rash from the tour I was on similar to what you are describing. I wasn't too worried about it because it really isn't bothering me (I haven't been riding too much lately)

She said to put on a cortosteroid cream before going to bed. I have some I regularly use for allergic skin reactions. You can get 1% solutions (cream form) under different brand names over the counter. I have used them for 49+ years and have had no adverse reaction.

Don't know if this will help but it is worth a try. I am going to start tonight.

grifter73
08-28-2006, 10:13 PM
Considering you are generally talking about it, my skin hates being sweaty generally "down there"... and well I only have to ride 10kms (sadly) before I start to feel uncomfortable. Can I use any of those products on that part of my body, or layer more... I don't know, I don't know if I sweat abnormally more than most people.

eclectic
08-29-2006, 06:14 PM
Just went to the Doc this morning for my yearly. I still have a rash from the tour I was on similar to what you are describing. I wasn't too worried about it because it really isn't bothering me (I haven't been riding too much lately)

She said to put on a cortosteroid cream before going to bed. I have some I regularly use for allergic skin reactions. You can get 1% solutions (cream form) under different brand names over the counter. I have used them for 49+ years and have had no adverse reaction.

Don't know if this will help but it is worth a try. I am going to start tonight.

Update:

I used the 1% Hydrocortisone cream at night and in the morning and it worked!

On the tour I was using Eucerin because that is all I had (I always use it on my face) it kept it a bay but didn't help w/ healing

I think my new plan will be chamois cream of some type during the ride and Hydrocortisone cream after the shower - it works great on heat rash too!

owlice
08-08-2009, 10:17 AM
Update:

I used the 1% Hydrocortisone cream at night and in the morning and it worked!

On the tour I was using Eucerin because that is all I had (I always use it on my face) it kept it a bay but didn't help w/ healing

I think my new plan will be chamois cream of some type during the ride and Hydrocortisone cream after the shower - it works great on heat rash too!

I came across this old thread while I was searching for what to do about prickly heat, as I have been dealing with what I think must be prickly heat in the crease of my inner thigh. I tried a number of different things, but this recommendation for hydrocortisone cream morning and night has improved things a great deal.

Thanks to the OP and to teamestrogen for the information!