PDA

View Full Version : Problems after riding a century

bcipam
08-21-2006, 04:23 PM
OK since we have this new thread for whining... uh I mean discussing health problems, I wonder what you all have encountered after doing a century.

Normally I'm fine but since I didn't really train for this last one have several unusual problems, one very personal.

I have a slight knot in my left calf. It's like it meant to cramp up but never did. Still there. I try to stretch and kneed it every once in awhile.

I also have a bad cramp in my left shoulder - it feels like I broke my collarbone (yes I know ho wthat feels) but I didnt fall or anything. I can't raise my arm above my head without pain.

Lastly - my girly parts are very swollen (actually just one side - it's weird). I've been sore before but never swollen. Almost looks like I had a sex change operation or something. Hope to gosh that goes away soon.

I was fairly lucky on the ride that my stomach problems stayed away. Sometimes my stomach would gurgle but for the most part as long as I was riding my stomach felt fine.

Did a recovery ride Sunday and other than the girly parts, everything worked well.

emily_in_nc
08-21-2006, 05:32 PM
The girly bits problem sounds like it might be a Bartholins Gland cyst. I've never had one but have read about them here. I am sure google would provide plenty of information.

Sorry about all your aches and pains! I have had some minor residual soreness all over after centuries but nothing quite as serious as yours. The shoulder thing sounds partcularly strange. Have you had a good bike fitting?

Hope you heal up soon!

Emily

BleeckerSt_Girl
08-21-2006, 05:40 PM
Having two different muscle places with cramp-like symptoms would have me wondering if you are temporarily low on calcium. Calcium depletion can cause Charlie-horses and other muscle cramp symptoms. Calcium in your bloodstream can get depleted with exercise- it's included in some of those electrolyte drinks because of that I think. Try eating some yogurt for a few days maybe?...

bcipam
08-21-2006, 08:11 PM
I do assume the calf pain is due to either low calcium or potassium so I'll make sure to take my TUMS and eat some yogurt and bananas.

I have had several good fittings and feel comfortable on my bike but after surgery last November haven't put in the miles like I should. I wear a Camelbak and have to assume the straps or weight have caused my collarbone pain. It is getting better but is still there. Not tender to the touch. Just painful when I move my left arm.

As to the girly parts - no redness, no stinging, just swelling. Doesn't feel painful. Just assuming its some fluid accumulation and will go down (hopefully!) in the next few days. Figure I'll stay off the bike tomorrow as well and see what happens. No sense agravating it any further.

I'm not all that sore - my legs are fine. Just have these little things I haven't had before and wondered if anyone else has had them.

salsabike
08-21-2006, 08:47 PM
bcipam, the girly bits-swollen-on-one-side happened to me on STP also. My guess was that my saddle was very slightly pointing left and so one side got slammed on the saddle just a little (and after that many miles in one day, a little goes the proverbial long way. It was really swollen on that side for a couple of days, then it was fine). So you might want to check your saddle alignment.

Squirrel 2
08-22-2006, 05:32 AM
If it's just swelling, a little hydrocortizone, carefully applied, might help. I have had this crop up, and the anti-inflammatory helped bring it right down, particularly an overnight application with sleep to help heal.

bcipam
08-22-2006, 05:38 AM
Thanks you guys. Glad this has happened to others. Looks better today but I was getting worried. Like maybe I had too much testosterone in my system (if you get my drift!). I'll definitely check the saddle alignment. It's a new saddle. Put it on last month so adjustment is probably needed.

eclectic
08-23-2006, 08:41 AM
Having two different muscle places with cramp-like symptoms would have me wondering if you are temporarily low on calcium. Calcium depletion can cause Charlie-horses and other muscle cramp symptoms. Calcium in your bloodstream can get depleted with exercise- it's included in some of those electrolyte drinks because of that I think. Try eating some yogurt for a few days maybe?...

My muscles were cramping a lot for quite awhile and when I researched causes I found about 100 different reasons. I knew my potassium and calcium were in good form but landed on muscle fatigue. Once I started weight lifting regularily the cramping went away for the most part.

If you didn't train as usual maybe this is all it is BUT we always need to keep stocked up on the calcium and potassium supplies too! AND keep the electrolytes in balance

Glad to hear that the swelling has receded - I have had 2 Bartholin cysts and they aren't too fun but fortunately treatable, if the swelling is going down on its own it probably isn't a cyst, I haven't been able to rid myself of them. Both times needed surgery (relatively minor but surgery non-the less)

CorsairMac
08-23-2006, 11:16 AM
a mis-aligned saddle could've also thrown your position off balance which could explain the pain in your shoulder.

I agree tho on the low-calcium/calf pain. Try taking an extra calcium supplement or 2 - or heck take 3!!! :D

bcipam
08-23-2006, 11:39 AM
I used to take a TUMS everyday for calcium but got lazy and stopped. Would it be beneficial to start up again? Do you all take daily supplements or just before, during and after a ride?

I've never had problems on centuries before but guess I'm getting older and maybe need to start taking supplements regularly. I just hate taking pills or any sort, even pain relievers when needed. If its for short term use, I would be better off.

Squirrel 2
08-24-2006, 03:13 AM
I take daily supplements. I take a women's formula multi-vitamin that gives me 100% of everything as a base. But 100% of the RMD is not enough for calcium & iron, so I take extra of those. I need extra calcium because of my age, and I need extra iron because I am deficient. Apparently new research shows that cyclists need more iron for the same reasons they need more calcium. Then I get everything else from food. I feel the vitamins give me a good starting point, but I use up more than the average because I am actively engaged in a sport that makes higher demands on my body's resources. Results from bloodwork last year proved that to me. Otherwise, no pills unless truly needed.

Dogmama
08-24-2006, 03:35 AM
Thanks you guys. Glad this has happened to others. Looks better today but I was getting worried. Like maybe I had too much testosterone in my system (if you get my drift!).

That is certainly a possibility. How quickly did you ride the century? :D Did your ears start to stick out & your jersey morph into something green & white & say "Phonac?"

Anyway, good advice. I'd just add that maybe your shorts need to be looked at. But, 100 miles is a LONG way for girlie bits to be squished, so give 'em a break!

Bruno28
08-30-2006, 12:02 PM
I used to take a TUMS everyday for calcium but got lazy and stopped. Would it be beneficial to start up again?

If TUMS are the same as TUMs in the uk they are an indigestion remedy?? I read somewhere that you shouldn't take these on a regular basis. Might be safer to get hold of a calcium supplement from a pharmacy. I take one with vitamin D3 added as this apparently helps you to absorb the calcium (but I take it because I'm at risk of osteoporosis - so you might not need the D3)

bcipam
08-30-2006, 12:37 PM
TUMS is the same - it's basically just a calcium tab and fairly safe to take everyday as a supplement, at least that's what I doctor told me. I have trouble taking multivitamins due to allergies (has something to do with the binding agents in vitamin tabs).

ReneeLynne
09-11-2006, 06:11 AM
I know you posted a long time ago, but wanted to chime in -- i've had that exact "girly part" problem. In my case, I'm almost positive it was due to cycling shorts bunching unevenly between me and the seat. I am now considering upgrading the shorts from Pearl Izumi "Race" style to "Elite". I tried some on the other day and they were much more streamlined and had a narrower chamois. I have a small frame, so I think that will help. Perhaps you are the same?

bcipam
09-11-2006, 09:05 AM
I didn't really have a chafing problem which has been caused by bad chamois in the pass, this was more a pressure problem. Just sitting on the saddle for a long time. The swelling has gone down. I have no centuries planned for teh rest of this year so hopefully everything will get a chance to heal up well.

Selkie
09-11-2006, 12:53 PM
Hey Pam---I'm glad to see you post. I've been thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way.

velogirl
09-11-2006, 08:50 PM
TI have trouble taking multivitamins due to allergies (has something to do with the binding agents in vitamin tabs).

I take an airborne everyday and drink a V8 too! I no longer take my multi-vitamin because I'm getting the equivs. with these two (more natural?) options. You might want to try it!

salsabike
09-11-2006, 09:07 PM
Hey Pam---I'm glad to see you post. I've been thinking of you and sending good thoughts your way.

Ditto, Pam! How are you?

roguedog
09-11-2006, 09:31 PM
Having two different muscle places with cramp-like symptoms would have me wondering if you are temporarily low on calcium. Calcium depletion can cause Charlie-horses and other muscle cramp symptoms. Calcium in your bloodstream can get depleted with exercise- it's included in some of those electrolyte drinks because of that I think

COOL. Just what I was looking for. I also got a cramp whilst riding and came looking for the answer. I'm popping my one a day now. Hmm.. from the sounds of other posters looks like I need to add to the multi-vit though? THe one a day says it's got extra calcium.

I take an airborne everyday and drink a V8 too! I no longer take my multi-vitamin because I'm getting the equivs. with these two (more natural?) options. You might want to try it!

Does it count if I add some vodka and tabasco sauce to it?? Seriously, tried the V8 and it was really salty (bleh) but maybe if it's more natural than pills. I hate taking pills.

bcipam
09-12-2006, 07:40 AM

I drink a V8 everyday - not for any reason other than I like them. Guess it's good for me too!!!! Bonus points!

Everyone I'm doing fine. See the surgeon on Wednesday (tomorrow!) to discuss the surgery and set the dates. Feeling OK about things and am really looking forward to having my problem dealt with. I'm tired of dealing with these icky symptoms.

On a related, OT note, I called and told my sister what was going on. She finally admitted she is experiencing the same symptoms. She (like me) thought it was stress related as she and her husband are having problems ). I begged her to see a doctor. She did, had a colonoscopy and just found out she also has colon cancer. What a strange turn of events. Knowing my sister, if I hadn't bullied her she would never have gone to the doctor. The poor fool actually had a minor heart attack during her son's basketball game but didn't want to disrupt the evening as he was having a good night and waited until after the game to head off to the hospital. She's always put her family first. Now she needs to care for herself. At least I've been through all the testing so she knows what to expect.