PDA

View Full Version : Major Taylor Century

Surlygirl
08-21-2006, 07:13 AM
The Major Taylor Century is Sept 24th. Its a beautiful ride but does have hills. It should be pretty with the leaves starting to turn by then.
http://www.10thgear.com/mtreg.htm

Kimmyt
08-21-2006, 08:57 AM
Hm, I was at a ride not long ago and kept getting passed by these really strong fast dudes in a paceline. They were 'Major Taylor Cycling Club'. I had never heard of the club, and wondered who Major Taylor was.... now I know! Cool!

K.

DebW
09-07-2006, 06:55 AM
I'm getting very tempted by this ride.

Surlygirl
09-07-2006, 12:27 PM
Hi Deb,
Its a nice ride. I may do the 25 on this one. There are some hills in this area.
It also passes by my driveway which is a bonus. It's mostly on back roads and through woods, farmland and general suburbia. Let me know if you decide to do this one.
Jody

DebW
09-13-2006, 09:36 AM
I've signed up for the century.

7rider
09-13-2006, 04:41 PM
Hm, I was at a ride not long ago and kept getting passed by these really strong fast dudes in a paceline. They were 'Major Taylor Cycling Club'. I had never heard of the club, and wondered who Major Taylor was.... now I know! Cool!

K.

From the web link Surlygirl provided:
WHO WAS MAJOR TAYLOR?
Marshall W. “Major” Taylor (1878-1932), who lived in Worcester, was world cycling champion in 1899 and American sprint champion in 1900. Known as “the Worcester whirlwind” and “the colored cyclone,” he was the second black world champion in any sport (the first was bantamweight boxer George Dixon in 1891). More about Major Taylor and the effort in Worcester to put up a Major Taylor statue: www.majortaylorassociation.org

Oops...sorry...I see you probably read the same link I did...and NOW YOU KNOW!!! D'oh! (nice read, Regina! Sigh....)