PDA

View Full Version : 7/2/06 Vacaville Gran Prix Criterium

BikeMomma
08-20-2006, 10:58 PM
Yes, I'm reeeeeeeally late with this one. Just sorta posting it for the record, really. I realized a while back that these reports are handy for me to use as a reference for next season.

This race for Cat 3's and 4's comprised of a multitude of right and left turns, a hill and speedy downhill on the other side, with a 90-degree turn right after. The setting was old-town Vacaville through part of their historic district, so it was cool to ride amonst some old buildings (I have a thing for them). I think we were originally supposed to do 20 laps, but as the organizers were running behind schedule due to a crash in a prior race, our race was cut to 16 laps (if I recall correctly).

The neat thing about this course is that it had it all -- s turns, tight corners, wide corners, a hill, a fast descent w/corner, rough roads, smooth roads, traffic dots, varying road grades, blind corners, etc. It had pretty much anything that could be thrown at you, which is probably why the District Crit Championships were raced the same day for the 1/2 mens and women's fields. It was an excellent course to test criterium skills. Mine need work. :D :D :D :p :p :p

So without further ado or delay, let's just sum Vacaville up with a simple "OUCH!". No, I didn't crash, but wowwie, I felt like crap. The main thing was that I had been sick the week before and didn't ride much, so I wasn't in tip-top shape. The second contributing factor was that the one small hill that was included in the course description (an overpass) was a killer and knocked me off the back of the pack after about 3 laps. My legs had no oomph to them at all, and I was toast real quick.

I could have pulled myself out of the race at that point, but I'm a self-admitted stubborn so-n-so and so I kept going. I turned it positive and just made it a training race against myself, by trying to see how long I could keep it up without getting lapped. I almost made it the whole race without them reaching me, but as fate would have it, with 1 1/2 laps to go, they got me on the downside of the hill and I stayed with them until, you guessed it, the hill again. :p :p Heehee.....it was comical, and strangely fun through the pain. I made sure I smiled at the guy at the top of the hill each lap, too.

The FUN thing about this race is that on the downside of the hill, there was a 90-degree right turn at the bottom that you'd be taking at speeds of over 30mph, easy. I think my max speed for this race was 35mph on this hill. I couldnt believe that corner....it could be hairy if you didn't take it right. It got more comfortable for me the more laps I did, and it was one of the reasons I kept on.

The other reason was the spectators, volunteers, and other racers. The encouragement I got for just sticking with it was really cool. I think there were one or two McGuire riders calling out to keep it up, then at one particular corner, I could count on a volunteer to say something to me, then this other volunteer on the other side, right before you took the right-hander to go up the hill, would whoop and holler every time. The race announcer too, would say something every now and then, and finally, when the field was lapping me, another rider just simply said "alright McGuire!" as she went by and that was just cool. :cool: The whole spectatator thing was great. :D

As far as official results, I think I was placed 18th out of 19 Cat 4's, which sorta baffled me. I thought I was dead last, which is fine, but I had no idea there was someone else back there.

There was a photographer at one of the corners and I heard him take a couple pics as I went by once or twice. Sure enough, here's a pic he took: http://mikenachtwey.com/cycling/06_road/vgp/pages/page_30.html. It turned out great with the blurry speed effect (it's my avatar for the time being).

So anyway, a whole month-and-a-half later, there ya go! Hope you all enjoyed the report anyhow. :p
~BikeMomma

bikerz
08-21-2006, 06:55 AM
Kim - great write-up - I love reading your race reports - it sounds so exciting! And way to keep in the race - wow! When/where is your next race?

Lise
08-21-2006, 07:18 AM
Great report, Kim! I am in awe of you racers. A 90 degree turn at 30 mph--the thought of it makes me queasy! Amazing. Great race report. I print mine out and keep them in my training journal. It's good to go back, as you say, and read details I might've forgotten.

BikeMomma
08-21-2006, 06:00 PM
Thanks gals. :) Next race looks like the Giro di San Francisco on Sept. 4th (Labor Day). Velogirl asked me about it in the "Fishdr" thread, so checked with my chick racing pal Vino to see if she wanted to go, and she's ready and willing to do it, so looks good, except for working out the childcare thing. The season is pretty much coming to a close now, so this could be my last race this year. We'll see. I am busier now with my kids starting school again and with my own night class. Training time is now an issue.

It's all for fun anyhow, tho'. :D

Glad you enjoy the write-ups.
~BikeMomma

SadieKate
08-21-2006, 06:14 PM
Wow, great picture. So with this hill experience, I assume you have the Nevada City crit on your list? Practice your top tube tuck descent!

Maybe someday one of your races will converge with both our geographical and scheduling challenges.

Veronica
08-21-2006, 06:19 PM
Do tell us ahead of time if the Sept. 4 is a go. We'd love to go in and take pictures of you.

V.

PS I really enjoy your write ups too. :)

velogirl
08-21-2006, 10:19 PM
The season is pretty much coming to a close now, so this could be my last race this year. ~BikeMomma

Two words.....cyclocross, baby!!!

Now the real race season begins.

BikeMomma
08-21-2006, 10:44 PM
Two words.....cyclocross, baby!!!

Now the real race season begins.
heheheheheeee....:D :p I've wanted to try it for YEARS, but just have never....

I have an old Bianchi frame that I was thinking of converting to fixed gear, but I think it would be just as cool to make it a cyclocross bike. I'll have to think about that some more....or just find another frame.:rolleyes:

What's the Nor-Cal calendar like for cyclocross? Lots of races, just a few, in between...? Imagine the dh's shock if I tell him I'm not going to stop racing over the winter afterall. :eek:

Trekhawk
08-22-2006, 10:42 AM
Wow, great picture. So with this hill experience, I assume you have the Nevada City crit on your list? Practice your top tube tuck descent!

I was just thinking that SK. Come on we would love to see you at the Nevada City Race. I could bring my own little cheer squad for you.:)

BikeMomma
08-22-2006, 05:43 PM
Come on, convince me a bit more....you've almost got me. Ha! :p

Actually, it would be alot of fun. I'll really think about it, you guys. Thanks for being my 'lil cheering section. Just don't make me nervous by cheering TOO loudly!

~K

tprevost
08-22-2006, 07:31 PM
What a great report and I LOVE that picture... that is way cool!

I keep hoping one of your races will correspond w/a trip up to the bay area; my boys and I would have so much fun cheering for you!

Please let me know if you ever race up in tuolumne again (my dad lives near there)

Tracy

velogirl
08-22-2006, 08:23 PM
What's the Nor-Cal calendar like for cyclocross? Lots of races, just a few, in between...? Imagine the dh's shock if I tell him I'm not going to stop racing over the winter afterall. :eek:

Racing officially begins on September 17th. There are races every single Sunday until mid-December with a handful of races in January too! There are different series (Bay Area, Surf City (Monterey), East Bay, Central Coast, Sacramento). There are also some night races in Folsom if I recall. You can find the calendar at http://www.ncnca.org/cyclocross/2006/index.php

Then, there's the top-secret DFL Urban Cross-Dresser Series that starts September 13th. Everyone races together (men and women, beginners and pros) and all the guys dress in dresses. Very fun.

I LOVE THIS SPORT!!!

BikeMomma
08-23-2006, 08:22 PM
Hehehe! That's gotta be a sight to behold!
I'll have to seriously look into the cyclocross thing. Good winter training!

I'm sure I'll have questions....
~BikeMomma

BikeMomma
08-23-2006, 08:30 PM

I keep hoping one of your races will correspond w/a trip up to the bay area; my boys and I would have so much fun cheering for you!

Please let me know if you ever race up in tuolumne again (my dad lives near there)

Tracy
Hey Tracy...

I had alot of fun at the Tuolumne crit this year, and it's just a great area anyway, so barring anything that comes up to prevent a 2007 appearance, I'll probably do it again. I'll let you know as soon as I do when it is, so that you can plan things on your end. Vino and I went to lunch in Sonora afterwards this year -- perhaps you and I could do the same, with or without Charlotte (Vino). I think she'll want to do it again too....she's STILL talking about how much she liked the course.

~K

BikeMomma
12-03-2006, 09:39 PM

Tracy

Hey Tracy & others -

Velo Promo posted their prelim 2007 schedule: VeloPromo 2007 (http://www.velopromo.com/2007%20Schedule.htm) The Tuolumne Crit is April 1 -- no foolin'. :p Hope you can make it to your Dad's at the same time. It would be cool to meet up with you for after-race cuisine, even a quick ride.

Lorri -- are you doing VP's Merced races again? The McLane is changing to Merco Cycling Classic (sponsor changes).

Looking forward to 2007....
~Kim

NCNCA 2007 Schedule (http://www.ncnca.org/road/)

KSH
12-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Downhills with turns at the bottom... :eek: ... scare me!

Great job on sticking with the race till the end. Thanks for sharing the details with us...soudns like a cool course... and that's a great picture.

RoadRaven
12-17-2006, 12:26 PM
Downhill cornering... thats' def not my strength!!!!

Thanks for the interesting race report and glad to see you enjoyed it soooo much

Looking forward to hearing more of your racing
:)

BikeMomma
12-17-2006, 01:34 PM
Thanks, gals....the 2007 season is just around the corner! :) :D
~Kim