PDA

View Full Version : Arizona ride suggestions

Brandy
08-20-2006, 09:15 PM
Hey Az. ladies!

I know it's a few months off, but I'll be in the area for Thanksgiving and I'd love to get some riding in. Do you have any suggestions for rides? My parents live in Surprise off of the 303, so something close to there would be great!

Thanks!

tprevost
08-21-2006, 04:41 PM
Hey Az. ladies!

I know it's a few months off, but I'll be in the area for Thanksgiving and I'd love to get some riding in. Do you have any suggestions for rides? My parents live in Surprise off of the 303, so something close to there would be great!

Thanks!

Brandy,

PM Running Mommy and Mommelissa, I bet they'll have some good suggestions! Also, here is the website for a local club:

http://www.sportsfun.com/gaba/index.html

I haven't looked at it in depth but I think they have some of the local rides listed!

Brandy
08-21-2006, 04:49 PM
Thanks Tracy...I REALLY want to ride up in Sedona, but I don't think that will fly...too many people to see while I'm there to justify taking off on a two hour drive by myself! I'll check that link out and PM them!

tprevost
08-21-2006, 05:15 PM
Thanks Tracy...I REALLY want to ride up in Sedona, but I don't think that will fly...too many people to see while I'm there to justify taking off on a two hour drive by myself! I'll check that link out and PM them!

the other great thing about these two is that if you want ride partners, you've got them! Melisa is up in Scottsdale and Denise is in Goodyear and both of them are wonderful (oh, and if Melisa invites you to come for dinner.... grab the family and get there really fast... YUMMY!!!)

t~

landshark
09-16-2006, 07:28 PM
Unless you're a MB I would be cautious. A LOT of tourists from every country imaginable and every skill level as well. I live in Phx. and had thought about riding my RB there. Then thought better of it. The MB is FAB though!! Have fun what ever you decide. Also, there's a Very cool thing in Sedona "The Festival of Lights". I'm sure you're friends and family will know about it. It begins at T-Giving.

Deb

Running Mommy
09-16-2006, 07:40 PM
Hey Brandy-
I'd love to ride with you when you are in town if you'd like! I'm also in the west valley. The best bet for you in surprise will be the sun valley parkway. They are starting to build out there, but for years it's been the road to nowhere, and a haven for cyclists. There is not much traffic (who wants to drive to nowhere) and the bike lane is as wide as the cars lane!!
It starts where bell road ends (heading west) in surprise. I park near the bingo hall (you can't miss it, it looks like a riverboat) or the new KB homes next door. And then I ride out as long as I feel like. If you ride the whole thing out and back is around 56 miles, but you can turn around before that as well.
The road goes around the white tank mountains. It's not super scenic, but the desert for the most part isn't all that scenic.
Now Sedona... that's another story!!! :D Personally I think sedona is prettier than the grand canyon. I just love it there!!!
But like I said, if you would like a riding partner when you come out,let me know. I'd LOVE to have the company.
Denise

mommelisa
09-20-2006, 01:36 PM
The best bet for you in surprise will be the sun valley parkway. They are starting to build out there, but for years it's been the road to nowhere, and a haven for cyclists. There is not much traffic (who wants to drive to nowhere) and the bike lane is as wide as the cars lane!!

hey, rm, i was thinking about doing this for my next long ride. its pretty flat, right, i think i remember you saying that before... i need something to simulate imfl and i also need some new scenery! if i were coming from scottsdale, what would be the best way to get there? any chance you're up for part of a ride in a week or two? i have one rest week this week and then two long rides - a five and a six hour probably the following 2 sundays, then TAPER. wow!

Running Mommy
09-20-2006, 08:57 PM
The SVP is deceiving. It's a false flat for prolly about 10 miles. It'll sneak up on ya! :rolleyes: But it is defintely something you can get down in your aerobars and just cruise. You will not have to stop for anything since there are no stoplights/signs and the traffic is pretty light. I haven't been out there since they started to build homes, but I don't think it's all that busy even with the construction.
If you do 2 loops you will have your 112, but of course you can turn around at multiple points.
The easist way to get there from scottsdale would be to take the 101 west to Bell road. Take bell road west until it turns into the SVP. I usually park in the KB homes (new build) just past the bingo hall (looks like a riverboat- can't miss it! SOO sun city!! :p ) and take off from there.
Keep in mind that unless you stop at the new homes out near the turn around there is NOWHERE to stop for liquid!! So load up accoridingly. But if you do two loops you can always refill at your car after the first loop.
I'd be up for a ride in the next few weeks. Let me know. But my mileage isn't really up yet, so I'd prolly do one lap. Also... how fast are you?? I'm averaging 16-17 right now.
Oh- and another thing. the First wave tri club folks ride out there ALOT! So check their website. You could always hook up with them for a ride. They are nice folks.
PM me if you want to ride! I'll be gone this weekend, but I would be up to it after that. I need to get my weenie but MOVING!!! :D
Denise

Brandy
09-20-2006, 09:24 PM
Hey Brandy-
I'd love to ride with you when you are in town if you'd like! I'm also in the west valley.
Denise

Thanks Denise! I have decided not to come out for Thanksgiving, but I will be out for the second week of the winter school break (after Christmas) and I'd love to ride with you then if you're around!

mommelisa
09-25-2006, 08:37 AM
PM me if you want to ride! I'll be gone this weekend, but I would be up to it after that. I need to get my weenie but MOVING!!! :D
Denise

Denise: I'm thinking about doing this ride on the 15th. My dad lives in Litchfield Park and we have to go to his house for dinner on the 14th. I figured I'd just spend the night, and get up and ride. I have around 6 hours that Sunday, so if you wanted to do one loop with me, that'd be great. Maybe the first one to give me an idea of where I'm going?? :-) That'll be my last long ride before IMFL, I start tapering on the 16th... yay!

I've been averaging about 17 - 17.5 for my long rides. I've done two six hours rides, one was 106, the other 100 on the dot, so I think we'll be good riding together, just let me know if you're ok with that, and thanks for the offer!!

tprevost
09-25-2006, 11:09 AM
Denise: I'm thinking about doing this ride on the 15th. My dad lives in Litchfield Park and we have to go to his house for dinner on the 14th. I figured I'd just spend the night, and get up and ride. I have around 6 hours that Sunday, so if you wanted to do one loop with me, that'd be great. Maybe the first one to give me an idea of where I'm going?? :-) That'll be my last long ride before IMFL, I start tapering on the 16th... yay!

I've been averaging about 17 - 17.5 for my long rides. I've done two six hours rides, one was 106, the other 100 on the dot, so I think we'll be good riding together, just let me know if you're ok with that, and thanks for the offer!!

okay ms. melisa,

I'm thinking I'll just attach a tow rope to you 'cause there's no way I can keep up w/ya!

t~

mommelisa
09-25-2006, 12:05 PM
okay ms. melisa,

I'm thinking I'll just attach a tow rope to you 'cause there's no way I can keep up w/ya!

t~

resistance training, perfect! ;)

tprevost
09-25-2006, 03:25 PM
resistance training, perfect! ;)

... and its a LOT of resistance at that! ;)