PDA

View Full Version : Knotted's Danskin Triathlon

KnottedYet
08-20-2006, 01:04 PM
I did it! Yes indeedy!

Got there early, hung out with Team Survivor and got a TV camera in my face. I'll have to watch the news tonight. Then went down to the swim bit.

The water was warm. I had the misfortune to end up in the front 1/3 of my wave, so i got run over and kicked and such. Next year, I'm making SURE I'm in the BACK. Once i got some space the swim was pretty ok. I was way behind the pack, but that was fine. Got passed by 3 waves. The only really bad bit (other than the start) was when I tried to inhale half of Lake Washington. I treaded water, coughing and gagging, and had a kayak and a swim angel making beelines for me until I could holler that I was ok. When I came out of the water my family was running along the fence waving and screaming, and my friend (in a later wave) reached out and grabbed my hand, so that was all very cool.

Took my time in transition, ate a bag of Bloks, drank a lot, got my legs and breath back and then took off on the bike.

Bike was the best part! Woo-hoo! I was singing and hollering and cheering the racers and thanking the volunteers. I averaged 15.2 mph, which is very fast for me. I made a song out of "passing on your left" and got to sing it a lot. (this was the only time in the entire race when I passed people) At one point the race went through a long tunnel, and we were all screaming and whooping. The only bad bit was when the course diverted onto a steep footpath. We were supposed to be single-file but some body just had to try to pass the woman just behind me, and three folks ended up crashing. The rider ahead of me stopped dead, so i had to stop too, and ended up walking up the hill because it would've been just too dicey to try to get back on the bike and ride when most were walking and being passed by riders.

T2 went much faster. Changed shoes, grabbed my little bottle, stuffed my pocket with Bloks, and tried to take off with my gloves still on! Oopsy! I walked the run bit, and had a great time! Runners who needed a rest would stop and walk with me for a while, and we chatted. Runners coming the other way would recognize my shirt (or I'd recognize theirs) and we'd be doing high 5's and hollering. At the finish line, I still walked. I started bawling, and had to pretend there was something in my eye cuz i was embarrassed that I was getting weepy. Complete strangers were cheering me on at the finish line and it was just overwhelming.

I don't know my time, it's not posted yet. I forgot to hit my timer on my watch, so if we go by that I did the whole thing in 00:00:00. But I think it was more like 2 hrs and 15 minutes.

When my friend and I were walking to pick up our bikes we had a couple of teenagers behind us. They were being (they thought) cool. One was b*tching about how she and another girl waiting for their start just wanted to race, and how they were wishing Sally Edwards would just shut up. (SE cheers each wave for about a minute while they are waiting to start) I was thinking, "jeez you little squirts, do you have any idea who she IS?" Then Missy Triathlete started b*tching about how there were some Team Survivors in her wave (wave 4, which was MY wave and the only mixed Survivor/regular wave. Her number was just a few off from mine, so I know she wasn't lying to her friend about the wave) She went on about how the Survivors were so slow and got in her way. At that point I'd had enough, and whipped around with my Team Survivor shirt and number and told the Squirt I was sorry we were so slow, but some of us just couldn't help it. They both shut up after that.

I had so much fun! I want to do it again next year. But I'll practice swimming...

bikerz
08-20-2006, 01:08 PM
Excellent report - I'm glad it all went so well for you! Congratulations!

Lise
08-20-2006, 01:45 PM
Knotted! I am SO HAPPY FOR YOU! I knew how nervous you were, and I was hoping you'd be amazed by how much you loved it. :D :D :D What a great weekend, great race. Phenomenal experience. I'm glad you got to meet Sally Edwards and soak up her wisdom. She is a foremother in triathlon. Did you get to meet Jayne Williams at the expo?

Great Race, KnottedYet!!!

salsabike
08-20-2006, 01:51 PM
Hurray! Knew you would do it. Looked for you on the I-90 bridge when we went by but didn't spot you. But you were on my mind all the way...

KnottedYet
08-20-2006, 02:27 PM
Thanks, guys!

Lise - no, I didn't see Jayne Williams. But I high-fived Sally Edwards today and she signed my shirt yesterday. My friend took a pic of her signing my back, can't wait to see how that turned out.

Kitsune06
08-20-2006, 02:29 PM
Congrats, Knotted! ...I hope sometime I can figure out swimming well enough to do a tri... and at that point, I'll bug ya for advice. =D
So glad you had a great time!:D

Brandy
08-20-2006, 02:32 PM
YAY!!!! Congratulations!!!

Tri Girl
08-20-2006, 02:40 PM
Congrats Knotted!!! I'm SOOOOOO very happy to hear that your race went well, and you even got to pass people on the bike! Good for you!!! :) :) :)

So glad you did well, and you're an official triathlete now. Woo hoo!!!!
Thanks for the great race report! Looking forward to many more from you!!!

KnottedYet
08-20-2006, 02:50 PM
Ok, the race results are up.

Swim: 25 minutes (dang, fast for me!) I was 3098 out of 3965
Bike: 45 minutes. I was 1723 out of 3965 (guess what I'm better at?)
Run: 49 minutes. I was 3669 out of 3965 (can you tell I walked?)

Overall standing: just slightly better than the run standing, so the walk during the run cost me the most. But saved my knee.

I HAD A GREAT TIME!!!!

Can someone tell me what "pace" means? Mine was 15:57. What is that?

KSH
08-20-2006, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the detailed race report!

YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE!!!!

It looks like you had a great race! Congratulations!

Lise
08-20-2006, 03:02 PM
But saved my knee.

I HAD A GREAT TIME!!!!

Can someone tell me what "pace" means? Mine was 15:57. What is that?
Good for you for saving the knee. Very important. You must live to race again, grasshopper! Wow, there were so many people in that race! I've never been part of such a big tri. I wonder if "pace" refers to your run pace, ie, 15:57 minutes per mile?

winddance
08-20-2006, 03:13 PM
Congrats, Knotted! Great report. :)

LynneK
08-20-2006, 03:50 PM
Congratulations!

Brina
08-20-2006, 04:08 PM
I knew you could do it!!!! you are awesome, you swim, you bike, you walk, and you tell off pipsqueaks. the whole package.

luv'nAustin
08-20-2006, 04:19 PM
Yippeee! Congratulations, I am so happy for you! Isn't it a wonderful feeling to have all of those people cheering for you? Danskin triathlons are really special and I'm glad that you got to experience one first hand.

Thanks for the report, it was great.

btchance
08-20-2006, 04:23 PM
Congrats!! Sounds like the whole weekend was fantastic. And you did such a great job for your first tri, especially one this big. The size alone might freak me out. and good for you for telling those girls off. They need to learn to be a little more considerate, especially in situations like these. What you ladies are doing is awesome, to beat something like cancer and then come back and take control of your lives enough to be able to do something like a triathlon is an inspiration to us all. Once again, congrats, and you rock!

Denise223
08-20-2006, 04:52 PM
CONGRATULATIONS, KNOTTED YET!!!!

KSH is right --- YOU ARE A TRIATHLETE!!!

I loved your report and happy that you saved your knee.

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y271/LucyYoster/aniDogswaving.gif

Have a peaceful evening!

Denise

divingbiker
08-20-2006, 04:57 PM
Sounds like so much fun. Congratulations! (I hope mine is as fun next weekend.)

mimitabby
08-20-2006, 06:58 PM
I did it! Yes indeedy!

Got there early, hung out with Team Survivor and got a TV camera in my face. I'll have to watch the news tonight. Then went down to the swim bit.

I had so much fun! I want to do it again next year. But I'll practice swimming...

Congrats! I knew you could do it!

rest easily on your laurels :)

DebW
08-20-2006, 07:06 PM
Whoo Hoo! Knotted Rocks! Great report. Glad you had fun. We knew you could do it.

Bicyclette
08-21-2006, 12:43 AM
Congratulations!!!!I knew you could do this!! I'm so very happy for you and I can't wait to hear about the next one :D

chickwhorips
08-21-2006, 08:06 AM
Great Job KnottedYet!!!!!

http://www.smileypad.com/v224/Happy/Clap-Hands.gif

So Proud of YOU!!!!!

so when's the next one? :eek:

maillotpois
08-21-2006, 10:07 AM
Great going Knotted!!! Thanks for the terrific report!

roshelleuop
08-21-2006, 11:59 AM
Congratulations!!! You are an inspiration!!!!!

and thank you for telling off the pipsqueaks who do this sport only to win and can't appreciate the true meaning of the sport!!!! Sometimes I wonder if these kind of people even enjoy what they are doing. Oh well, I know we sure do!!!!!!

~~Roshelle from Milwaukee~~
http://wisconsinbetties.blogspot.com/

colby
08-22-2006, 11:04 AM
I did it! Yes indeedy!

Awesome work, Knotted! You sure rocked the bike! :D

Kudos to you for telling those girls to back off, too. This race is supposed to be a positive experience for everyone, not just them. If you want to compete, strategize a little better (front of the swim wave, that kind of thing) or participate in a smaller (or more competitive) event. There were Ironman competitors, serious racers, and people out to have fun all in the same event, and you have to respect that each person's goal is different than your own.

You have to do it next year now that you've tasted the experience. Not to mention, now you have a time to beat! ;)

(PS: We need some champagne glass smilies or something ;))

KnottedYet
08-22-2006, 01:06 PM
COLBY!!!!! Give us your race report, girl!

colby
08-22-2006, 05:40 PM
COLBY!!!!! Give us your race report, girl!

Sorry, right back at work this morning... I'll work on it :)

KnottedYet
08-28-2006, 06:33 PM
Oooh, the pictures are up!

Mine all suck. Really, I looked MUCH sexier than that.

This is me saying "I'm not gonna cry, I'm not gonna cry." As I cried.

http://www.brightroom.com/view_user_photo.asp?EVENTID=12820&PWD=&ID=25992713&FROM=photos&BIB=307

The bike was the BEST part. And a little wind up the skirt is ok!

http://www.brightroom.com/view_user_photo.asp?EVENTID=12820&PWD=&ID=26013711&FROM=photos&BIB=307

colby
08-28-2006, 06:34 PM
Wow, lots of pictures!! You look like you're having fun, and you even got to wave at the camera :D

Lise
08-28-2006, 07:23 PM
As I well know, you can say, "I'm not going to cry" all you want, and then--CRYING! Great pix! I love the one of you waving on your bike. This time of year is like Christmas for TE tri girls! All the pictures to open! :D