PDA

View Full Version : Carrying Water During an Event?

Deborajen
08-20-2006, 11:37 AM
I'm training for a half marathon next month. Just curious - Does anyone carry their own water on these longer running events? The longest event I've done so far is a 10K and I never would've thought to bring my own water. Now, though, I'm carrying water for anything over 30 minutes and gel or sports beans for anything over an hour. I really prefer to be able to take a sip of water periodically instead of gulping down as much as I can at the longer intervals - I don't like the sloshing and even get a little queasy if I take in too much at one time.

Right now, I carry my water bottle from my bike on long runs and put gel/sports beans in a flat money belt I got for traveling and that works o.k., but I'm still experimenting. Got some suggestions from the thread about carrying water on long runs. Is it worth the hassle at an event, though?

Deb

limewave
08-20-2006, 08:29 PM
I always say to do what you're used to doing in training. I carry a water bottle with me when I train and I do during an event too--unless it's a 10k or shorter. But the longer runs, to me, it's more about completing the distance than it is about a winning time--so I prefer to carry water, gel, and whatever else I need to have a good running experience. Plus, I always have a hard time trying to drink out of those little water cups they hand out on the course. It's much easier to drink from a water bottle or camelback.

Lise
08-21-2006, 05:28 AM
I don't carry water with me in a running race. I walk while drinking out of a cup at the water stations, and then start running again. I usually train with a belt around my hips that holds two water flasks, and a little pouch for Gu or Beans. On the race, I keep "food" in my pockets. Yesterday I did an International distance tri. I ate a Gu pack with a cup of water at two water stations on the run (a 10K). I found myself wanting the Gu before I got to the water station, but I don't eat that stuff unless I can wash it down. It's so liberating for me to run without the belt that it's sort of a training tool. I get to feel lighter on the actual race.

Deborajen
08-22-2006, 06:56 PM
I agree about it being liberating to not have to carry water during an event. I definitely felt that way during the 10K. With the half marathon, though, that's long enough that the security of having a little water with me the whole way sounds good. Finishing will be challenge enough for me.--

Thanks for the replies.

Deb

Running Mommy
08-22-2006, 08:32 PM
I have done both. One year at the NYC marathon I was running in the back of the pack and they ran out of gatorade. Not at mile 18 either... At mile THREE!! I think there must have been a problem that year because I've done the race 4 times and it's never happened before or after. But I learned my lesson!! From no on at NYC I will always wear my camelbak with my cytomax.

But at the Ironman I knew how well they stocked the aid stations, so I didn't bother. I'm telling you the aid stations in an IM are like a rolling buffet!! :p I snacked on grapes, pretzels, and chicken broth... :D

But yeah, in a running race that I wasn't sure about I would prolly come prepared. It really stinks to be without gatorade for 23 miles!!! :eek:

Lise
08-23-2006, 02:27 PM
That really sucks. Let me guess. No Gu, either?!?

At the Chicago Marathon last year, they were well supplied with water and Gatorade. I remember one station had bananas, because I was scared I was going to slip and fall on all the peels in the street! There was one station with Gu at mile 18, I think. I carried 4 Gu with me; I could've used 6, slow as I am.