PDA

View Full Version : whey protein - seeking vegan perspectives

solveig
08-20-2006, 11:37 AM
My partner and I (both vegan, he for 27 years and I for about 5) have been reading about whey protein for recovery. We're intrigued, and I've read that lots of you use it in smoothies and such. We've also recently found that "sports foods" (like Hammer gel & heed) really make a difference in our performance and recovery, so we're thinking of giving whey a chance.

I know there are a few vegans out there... Have you used whey? What do you use for recovery?

Thanks lots,
Solveig

divingbiker
08-20-2006, 05:55 PM
Nope, whey is not vegan. It's a dairy product. But you can buy powdered soy protein at Whole Foods, food co-ops, GNC, etc. I've used it in smoothies...makes them very smooth and creamy. Like soy milk, you might have to try a few kinds to see what you like because the various brands all have a different taste. I think some of them come in individual packets so you can try them before committing to a huge can.

BTW, I've been vegan for 15.5 years.

Eden
08-20-2006, 06:12 PM
I'm guessing a lot of us non-vegans use it even if we are not aware of it. Whey powder is a pretty common ingredient to get protein into many energy and recovery drinks.

solveig
08-20-2006, 06:18 PM
Yeah, I'm sure we get bits of dairy and egg in various foods - baked goods given as gifts, especially. If we do decide to do whey, it will be a departure for us in that we'll intentionally be eating dairy.But if soy protein works as well as whey protein for recovery, we're totally happy with that.

Anyone noticed a difference between soy and whey protein as far as performance?

Thanks,
Solveig

Eden
08-21-2006, 09:58 AM
The topic came up another forum that I read so I asked over there why whey over soy and this was the answer

The BV rating for whey is among the highest of any protein source. Bilogical value is a rating system based on absorbtion and utilization.

The BV ratings:
Whey = 104
Egg = 100
Casienate = 91
Beef = 80
Soy = 74

So for the money (economics vs. efficiency in assimilation) you can see which have the best bang for the buck if one is spending money for supplemental proteins. One could spend as much for a trendy soy protein and yet not have the same yield, however, some have to pick the source based on any food allergies or eating principles such as certain vegetarians may not desire a source derived from an animal.

If you'd like to view the thread or ask questions over there its:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/showthread.php?p=2967782#post2967782

yogabear
08-23-2006, 12:47 PM
I'm vegan and I use hemp protein powder. It just rocks! I use it in my smoothies and it digests very well.

I know for me, I have food sensitivities to dairy, soy, and gluten, so I have to watch the commerical protein powders.

I read some place that your body doesn't make protein from protein, but rather, amino acids. So, I'm workin' on eatin' things with lots of amino acids. I researched this and discovered that dark, leafy vegetables and greens have the most amino acids...that about blew me away :)

Dogmama
08-24-2006, 04:16 AM
Yogabear - you can also buy branched chain amino acids as a supplement, if you're interested.

There is a 2 hour window for refueling your muscles after exercise. During that time, glucose and protein (you need both) shuttle into your muscles faster and promote recovery.

Whey protein is a fast protein. It is absorbed quickly. Again, you need glucose or some sort of fast carb with the whey as a transporter. You also should be consuming extremely low fat for your immediate-post-ride drink because you want these things absorbed quickly.

Casein is a slower protein. It is found in cottage cheese, etc. It is good for long term muscle rebuilding, e.g., when you're sleeping. Growth hormone is released during sleep which helps repair muscles. That is another reason why sleep is an important component of training.

I don't know of a good vegan source for either - possibly there isn't any because both are made from animals products (as far as I know.) It has been years since I was a vegetarian and I never ventured into vegan.

Jaclyn
08-27-2006, 07:08 AM
I've been trying Jay Robb's "Yammit" line of energy nuggets and powder. They are made from dried sweet potatoes (yams) and that's about all. No dairy. (I don't use the energy drink which does have whey). I happen to really love sweet potatoes, so like this product to supplement to add to veggies, drinks, soups etc.

alpinerabbit
08-27-2006, 07:59 AM
I read some place that your body doesn't make protein from protein, but rather, amino acids.

*chuckle* of course, because the protein you eat is broken down into amino acids in your gut, then absorbed. Study your biochemistry, dear!

Kitsune06
08-27-2006, 03:28 PM
I'm vegan and I use hemp protein powder. It just rocks! I use it in my smoothies and it digests very well.

I know for me, I have food sensitivities to dairy, soy, and gluten, so I have to watch the commerical protein powders.

I read some place that your body doesn't make protein from protein, but rather, amino acids. So, I'm workin' on eatin' things with lots of amino acids. I researched this and discovered that dark, leafy vegetables and greens have the most amino acids...that about blew me away :)

Hemp protein powder from 'Natures Way'? Hmm. Any good recipes? I tried it a couple times and it sent my IBS into ballistics, but as I've got a big container of it at home, I'm hoping I can find SOME use for it (or maybe I'll just try 'n mail it to you!)

Dogmama
08-27-2006, 04:44 PM
Hemp protein powder from 'Natures Way'? Hmm. Any good recipes? I tried it a couple times and it sent my IBS into ballistics, but as I've got a big container of it at home, I'm hoping I can find SOME use for it (or maybe I'll just try 'n mail it to you!)

Can you roll it up & smoke it?