PDA

View Full Version : Cut in tire tread -- is it rideable?

melissam
08-19-2006, 03:45 PM
Today was my first ride on the Vredestein Fortezza tires that I got from biketiresdirect.com.

If you'd asked me what I thought of the tires at 10 miles into the ride, I would have given an ecstatic two thumbs up. (And I probably would have wiped out while giving the thumbs up.) The tires are lighter than the Conti Grand Prix tires they replaced, they are very sticky, and when I was climbing hills today, the bike just felt like it wanted to move forward.

Unfortunately, I flatted shortly after mile 10. After I got home and pumped up the tire with my trusty floor pump, I noticed a cut in the tire tread. The cut is probably 2-3 mm long.

Is the tire fatally wounded? I hate to toss it after just one ride. Which was only 11.85 miles. <sob> No, I'm really not a cheapskate. It's just that I hate to throw something away that hasn't gotten a lot of use.

With this type of tire damage, how likely is it that I'll get another flat? If I leave it alone, is that just asking for trouble?

Is there a way to repair this type of damage? Booting is a temporary fix, right? How about some type of goo that would seal the cut?

Should I just order another tire and put one of the Conti's on in the meantime?

Thanks for any ideas.

-- Melissa

Triskeliongirl
08-19-2006, 05:50 PM
If it were me I would retire the tire. Booting is a good short-term fix to get yourself home. With that being said though, I imagine if you made a good patch out of an old tire, and glued it well over the gash, you could get some more miles out of the tire. But, I wouldn't do it. The risk of a blowout and subsequent accident just aren't worth it to me. You might want to invest in tires that are more slash proof next time. I have had great luck with schwalbe stelvios for being light, fast, and puncture resistant. Other folks swear by continental gatorskins.

melissam
08-19-2006, 08:00 PM
Triskeliongirl,

Thanks for your opinions. I'll probably end up tossing the tire.

I have 650C tires, so my choices are pretty limited. Couldn't find the Stelvios in my size.

I really enjoyed the Vredestein's -- at least until the flat. I think the flat might have been caused by riding on an unpaved section of the road. I felt so good that I explored a new route, so I didn't know I'd hit the unpaved part. And, I hit a rut at a pretty good clip, so that's probably where I got the cut and the flat.

So, I'll probably try another one and be more careful. Maybe I just had bad luck today...

-- Melissa

Triskeliongirl
08-20-2006, 08:30 AM
http://schwalbetires.com/node/200/ok

Go to this link, and you can order them in 650 x 23 from schwalbe direct. Their shipping is very reasonable too, since the tires fold compactly. The reason I tried them is that I have a terry with a 700cc rear/ 24" front tire, and there is also not much choice in 24" tires. They recently introduced this tire in 24" and I have been so impressed. I have yet to get a flat with them! It is remarkable given that they are also light weight and handle well. The center is very firm, it is their special flat resistant compound, not kevlar, but in my experience works even better.

Running Mommy
08-20-2006, 10:26 AM
Ahh Vredsteins.. I used to LOVE those tires, like BUTTER.. Easy to get on and off the rim, oh those were the days...
Yeah those were the days alright! The days of CONTANTLY changing flats!!
IMO the tires are just too supple and pick up road debris way too easy. Yeah they are nice rolling tires, but what is the point if your stuck on the side of the road all the time??
I switched to conti GP 4000's and havent had a flat since. Here in AZ we have a real problem with road debris, thorns, etc. So we kind of need bomb proof tires. They may not be "fast" but at least I don't flat.
But yeah, I do love the feel of the vredsteins, they are a nice rolling tire...
Ahh if we could only have it all!! :p
Good luck!
Denise
p.s. my quintana roo rolls 650's, and the conti gp 4000's come in 650.

DeniseGoldberg
08-20-2006, 11:28 AM
I use Stelvios on my Bike Friday Pocket Rocket - a little tires bike, but it's set up as a raod bike. These tires are awesome. I highly recommend them.

Oh, and I agree with everyone else - change the tire!

--- Denise

melissam
08-20-2006, 08:43 PM
OK, OK, I'm going to toss the tire. <sob> Actually, there's a bike store around here that recycles used tires and tubes, so maybe the tire won't be a total waste.

Running Mommy, I'm heartbroken to read about your experiences with Vredestein's and flats. I loved the tires for the 12 miles I rode yesterday. OK, the first 10 before the flat. It felt like some unseen force was pulling my bike forward. That's a nice feeling to have.

Triskelion and DeniseG, thanks for the recommendation on Stelvios and for the link. Yay, they come in 650's, and you're right -- shipping is very reasonable.

Thanks again, everyone!

-- Melissa

Running Mommy
08-20-2006, 09:19 PM
Yeah M- I was heartbroken too! I loved mine mostly because they were so supple... sigh... :o

melissam
08-20-2006, 09:55 PM
Stelvio's have been ordered and should be here by next weekend's ride.

Hopefully they'll be nice & supple & quick like the Vredestein's. Only less fragile.

The other heartbreaking thing is that I could have paid $5 extra and gotten road hazard insurance from biketiresdirect. Oh well, live & learn. Besides, the road hazard insurance would have gotten me a new Vredestein, and I would have been paranoid the whole time that I was on the verge of another flat.

Thanks again for the Stelvio recommendations. I have high hopes for them -- 700/23 (I know, not my size) is listed at 235 grams for both the Vredestein Fortezza and the Stelvio. That's a good sign.

Ooh, Conti Grand Prix 4000 is listed at 205 in 700/23.

I know, it's not just about the weight....

-- Melissa

melissam
08-22-2006, 02:11 PM
Blah, the 650C Stelvios are on backorder, ETA = 1-2 weeks. :mad:

Some people have had success with using Shoe Goo in the cut tire. I think I'll boot it and try Shoe Goo while waiting for the Stelvios.

I know, I just can't give up on the stupid Vredestein. :o

Triskeliongirl
08-22-2006, 07:13 PM
I noticed that Terry also sells them in 650cc, and they appear in stock:

Try this link: http://www.terrybicycles.com/detail.html?c=Bike+Parts+%26+Accessories&sc=Terry+Specific+Parts&item_no=24000

melissam
08-22-2006, 08:20 PM
Triskeliongirl,

You are just a wealth of information! Thanks for the Terry link -- I hadn't even thought of trying them.

-- Melissa

melissam
08-26-2006, 10:12 PM
Some people have had success with using Shoe Goo in the cut tire. I think I'll boot it and try Shoe Goo while waiting for the Stelvios.

I just wanted to give an update on this. I booted the tire, and filled the cut with Shoe Goo on Wednesday night, then let it cure for a couple of days. I rode a nice, flat, leisurely 20 miles with some other TE folks at the pre-Scharffen Berger Chocolate factory tour ride. I know, hard work, but someone's gotta do it... :cool:

The Shoe Goo held up great, and the tire felt fine. I'm not sure if I'd trust the tire for a more strenuous ride that involves a lot of high speed descents, but it seems pretty good for tooling around town.

Also, no flats or additional cuts after today's ride, which makes me very happy. I may get my $$ worth out of these tires yet!

-- Melissa