PDA

View Full Version : What bike do you commute with?

GLC1968
08-19-2006, 11:48 AM
What type of bike do you commute with? Does anyone have a bike specifically for commuting? How does it differ from your other bike(s)?

I am currently in the market for a steel bike that I can outfit with slightly fatter tires (28cm) to use for my commute. I'd also like to be able to add a rear rack for days when I need to bring my laptop home from work. My current bike has no eyelets and will not fit a larger tire.

What type of bike do you all use and what is your commute route like?

RoadRaven
08-19-2006, 12:20 PM
I am fortunate in that my commute to work is mostly in the country, as my workplace is on the edge of the city, and I just need to join one "town-road" before I turn straight off into the campus.

So most times when I commute, I use my road-training bike, a Scorpio RA300.

When I have a time trial coming up, I ride to work on my RR/TT bike so I can "practice" on my aero-bars, and do intervals in preparation for the race. Its a Giant TCR.

I would like to get a specific commuting bike in the next year or two - as the younger children get older, I will be using the car less and less (particularly with petrol prices rising). Perhaps one with pannier bags so I can carry my diary and other work with me.

light_sabe_r
08-19-2006, 02:05 PM
I'm riding my hybrid to work. It's the only choice I have really. lol

dingster1
08-19-2006, 02:12 PM
My goodwill special. A Ross Adventurer Mixte.

tulip
08-19-2006, 02:36 PM
I commute on my Jamis Coda Comp. It's steel, rides like butter, has a rack for my panniers, a bell, a headlight (Nite Rider Trail Rat) and a cateye taillight (t-1000 or something like that). It has 700x28s, and fenders, although we haven't needed them lately, unfortunately. I actually removed the front fender because it kept coming loose. Rain will visit us again, though, and I'll put it back.

It's essentially a road bike with flat bars, and I added bar ends. My commute is 14 miles, about 2/3 through urban environment with potholes and such. Some days I'd like to have drop bars, but I appreciate the flats for getting over obstacles. I have a Terry Butterfly saddle, same as my road bike. Why mess with a good saddle when you find one that works?

I have two sets of panniers, one is a cheap-o Axiom duo that is fine for most commutes. The other accommodates my laptop, it's an Arkel Briefcase. I try not to bring my laptop home very often because that means I will likely do work while not at work, but sometimes I do. The Coda has a triple chainring, but I rarely use either the big or small rings. I stay in the middle, and the seven cogs are just right for my commute.

Oh, and my ice bike is a Dahon Matrix folding bike (26" wheels, looks like a mountain bike) with studded 26x1.5" tires for ice. I don't use it much, but when we do get ice and snow, I'm happy to have it. It folds, so I can easily bring it on the Metro at night, although it's not a small as the 20" folding bikes.

I'd ultimately like to sell the Matrix and get a smaller folding bike, get a beater mountain bike for my ice bike, and add a cyclocross bike to my commuting stable. Then I'd have four commuting bikes, each with a different purpose. I also have a nice road bike, and I'd like to get a mountain bike and a touring bike. I'm a bit bike-nuts.

Deborajen
08-19-2006, 03:22 PM
I ride my mountain bike when I commute. It's a bare-bones Giant Upland, and maintenance is easy (tires are easy to change, etc.) so I don't worry as much about a mechanical problem causing me to be late to work. It also handles well in traffic, not that I have much of that to worry about.

My route is in the city, but it stays close to the river in a quiet neighborhood. It's about a 4 mile ride - very pleasant. I love it! Destination isn't in the best neighborhood, but I skirt around the far end of parts that make me nervous.

Deb

Trek420
08-19-2006, 03:39 PM
Gt outpost trail, steel frame, slicks, just got it new Mavic Cross Ride wheels. The seat is orriginal 10 years old POS but as long as my butt is happy on it....it's also the same bike I did approx 32 miles (incl to and from BART) with Different Spokes today. The front tire of my road bike was not holding air so rather than skip the ride I rode "the back up bike".

Sure I was in the back of the pack but had a good workout.

extra-vert
08-19-2006, 03:41 PM
I ride an old (early 90s) cannondale road bike for commuting, unless i opt for my rollerblades. i recommend armadillo tires. i ride 28s road. I'll look for a pic. Make sure not to use those older kryptonite locks as a bic pen can break right into them! I think, unless you have the snow and off road conditions mentioned, that you might prefer road tires, but the wider ones perhaps. Hae fun.:D

KnottedYet
08-19-2006, 04:06 PM
Kona Dew. (hybrid with 700c wheels) That's what I'm riding in the Danskin, too.

But next year, it could be a road bike....:D

twin
08-19-2006, 04:07 PM
I ride a single speed/fixed because it is so much easier to keep the drivetrain clean. I am currently riding a Redline 9.2.5 which is a basic steel frame tigged and has fenders and a chain guard. I removed the fenders/chainguard for now and I am running 32 Paselas on it. I will have to change back to the 28's I think when I put the fenders on. It also can have a rack. I am at this time using a Chrome messenger bag. I will most likely use a saddle bag which I can use because the loops on my Brooks saddle in the winter. I have ridden many miles on it and have found nothing that is a problem. I have used ss's/fixed even with much longer commutes. They are a cheap build with the use of an old frame/bike. I like the ride of steel.:) The reason I chose to buy one is because I can run wider tires and have a rack.

annie
08-19-2006, 04:22 PM
I ride my old Trek 2100, modified so that I can carry a bit of weight, when needed. Had a double many years ago, it now has a triple. Had 700 x 23 cc wheels. Now has 28's (a tight fit, but doable, as long as I inflate the tires AFTER I put the wheel in the quick release.) No attachments for panniers, but I have a decent rear rack with a trunk bag. I can at least fit summer work clothes in it...... When I need more room, I pull a BOB trailer behind the bike. I am hoping -keep your fingers crossed for me - that I will soon be able to purchase a used Cannondale T800 at a great price. I'd love to have a true touring bike, but seriously cannot afford to buy a new one. So if the C-Dale fits, at $350, I don't think I can pass it up. I can always upgrade components someday, if I feel its needed.
Anyway, I guess my point here is basically that you can make quite a few bikes work as commuter bikes. I love my BOB trailer, but sometimes it is overkill, and I'd be better off with panniers. You need to consider if you will use the bike primarily for commuting, or will this be a bike for all-around use? An option that I haven't heard mentioned yet would be a cyclocross bike. They won't haul the weight that a dedicated touring bike can carry, but for commuting, especially if you have rough roads/trails, it could be the right solution.

Lots to consider! Good luck!

annie

divingbiker
08-19-2006, 04:22 PM
I ride an early 90's steel Trek 720 hybrid with 28 tires. I got kevlar tires because I got tired of fixing flats. They work--I haven't had a flat since I got the new tires. It's a "women's" bike with a step through frame. That comes in handy because it's hard to haul my leg up and over two fully loaded grocery bag panniers. It's got a rack with a built in bungee cord, which is handy when I haul a cake in to the office.

7rider
08-19-2006, 05:11 PM
What type of bike do you commute with? Does anyone have a bike specifically for commuting? How does it differ from your other bike(s)?

What type of bike do you all use and what is your commute route like?

I commute on an '05 Felt SR81 - a flatbar road bike with 700x25's in the summer, and I switch to 700x28's with reflective sidewalls when the light goes away. I find it zippier than a hybrid, but I prefer the upright position and slow speed control that the flatbar gives vs. drop bar road bikes.
I have a 7.5 mile moderately hilly commute that starts in the 'burbs and ends in downtown Silver Spring MD, so I have a bit of the ride maneuvering around a city and all its obstacles.
The Felt has a triple on it...I would have preferred a compact double, and I'm not quite brave or confident enough to go singlespeed or fixed. The bike has a rack for panniers, although I often use an REI singular bag to carry my stuff and I'll just strap lunch to the rack with my (now busted) bungee net. I'd like to put fenders on the bike....but I'm a pretty fair weather commuter, so perhaps not.
It's pretty much my dedicated commuter, although I do sometimes go out for fitness rides with a friend of mine who also rides a flatbar road bike. My limit is about 45 miles on it...after that, some issues with my right cleat placement that I've been unable to resolve start showing up in my knee. Rides longer than that definitely require the road bike (a Seven Axiom).

Geonz
08-19-2006, 05:45 PM
http://wetmores.net/springbike/SpringBike-Thumbnails/4.jpg
Hybrid Xtracycle. It rocks :) :) I can carry a bloomin' desktop in it; the laptop is a piece of cake. (Duly note that you shouldn't depend on the kickstand in a downpour and park in a gutter with a small river running down. The computer weighs enough to pull the bike over into said gutter. Fortunately it didn't drown.)

I sometimes ride my Schwinn Racer (1-speed) which has big fenders and a http://www.resourceroom.net/pcc/bigloadmay29.jpgbasket. I usually carry the laptop on my back then, for less bounce to the ounce.

farrellcollie
08-19-2006, 07:13 PM
I use my raleigh hybrid for when I need to use panniers to carry a lot of books and my folding downtube when I don't have much to carry.

xeney
08-20-2006, 09:02 AM
I commute on an early-80s steel Nishiki road bike that my husband converted to single speed. It's a mixte so I can ride it in a skirt, although I seldom do because the wind always blows the skirt in my face. It is a tiny little frame -- way too small for me -- but it was pink and $35 and exactly what I wanted. I put a Nitto Technomic stem (http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/handlebars_stems_tape/16047.html) and Nitto Albatross bars (http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/handlebars_stems_tape/16122.html) on it, and a Brooks saddle, and it is by far my most comfortable bike. It was originally a touring frame so it carries racks and fatter tires easily. I used to commute on a hybrid and this is far more practical and comfortable.

betagirl
08-20-2006, 10:21 AM
Trek 1200 road bike. I commute in the city, so it works fine. Though I had to put kevlar tires on to ward off the flats from all the glass on parts of my route. I don't use panniers, just a medium timbuk2 messenger bag to carry books, etc. I have a cheap plastic rear fender on the back to prevent that lovely stripe when it rains :) Other than that, nothing special has been done to it. I keep the gear basic. Less to steal off of it while it's parked :)

janetsplanet
08-20-2006, 10:22 AM
My Giant Sedona with dual shocks..Heavy yet comfortable even to pick up my coffee from Quick Trip on the way...:p

DeniseGoldberg
08-20-2006, 10:31 AM
I commute on my Bike Friday Pocket Rocket, which is a road bike. I could use one of my touring bikes, but I just don't feel the need - my skinny-tired bike is a joy to ride.

--- Denise

kiwi girl
08-20-2006, 12:59 PM
A Marin Pioneer Trail fitted with 1" slicks.

My commute is 2 flat miles, a little bit of suburbia but mostly the inner city.

I pefer the upright riding position of a flat bar in traffic, and I also prefer the upright position when I am wearing either a back pack or a messenger bag (i usually use the messenger bag).

I also use this bike, with two panniers for my grocery shopping.

uforgot
08-20-2006, 01:17 PM
I commute on a Trek 7.3fx wsd. I have the Trek grocery panniers and they carry everything I need. Papers, books and even groceries. I live in a small town, so I commute to school, (I'm a teacher) then the post office and if I need to the grocery store. These panniers hold it all and are sooooo easy to use! Just drop the stuff in. This bike also has tires that are resistant to flats. I try not to use a car for anything that isn't out of town. Everyone always asks me how many miles to the gallon I'm getting.lol. Gee, I don't even notice the gas prices...:D

Quillfred
08-20-2006, 01:34 PM
My sunny day (no groceries) bike is my Trek 1500 WSD.

My main commuter is my cyclocross Redline Conquest Pro which is modified with fenders, rack, Ortlieb rear panniers, 12W light for riding in the dark, Shimano 520 pedals and a soon-to-come Brooks Team Pro S. My next purchase will be some Avid BB7 disc brakes as it stays pretty wet here.

It is fun to ride in all types of weather. I am fortunate in that although my commute is 18 miles, only about a mile is off the paved trail--I use the alleys when at all possible.

Vacation ends tomorrow. Whhhhaaaa!

makbike
08-20-2006, 02:20 PM
I alternate between my Univega Grand Turismo touring bike and my Bacchetta Giro 20. My commute is only 2 miles all of which is city roads. I have a set of panniers that I use when I ride the Univega and an old backpack (from my college days) that fits nicely on the Giro's high backed seat.

Jenerator
08-20-2006, 03:40 PM
I used to commute on my '85 rockhopper w/slicks, fenders & a rack, then I decided I needed a new bike once every 20 years and now commute on a fixed Surley steamroller. no rack or fenders, forcing me to go light, but the commutes not that long. If I have lots to carry, I can still use the the rockhopper w/paniers. If DH hadn't put me on a bike$ diet, I'd get the redline 9-2-5 specifically for commuting/town for all the reasons twin mentions and keep the steamroller for longer road rides.

Lise
08-20-2006, 05:57 PM
Usually my Marin Larkspur hybrid. It feels very safe on the roads, absorbs shocks pretty well, and handles well even when the pavement's wet. I have a back rack on it, and panniers. When I ride to the clinic, though, I've been carrying a backpack instead of the panniers. I have to carry the bike down (and back up) a flight of stairs with one turn, and the lighter it is, the better. I'd rather have the weight on my back than on the bike in that case. Every now and again I ride the Bianchi, because it's so light and fast and beautiful. But I do get nervous that some City employee will see it in the womens' locker room and know how valuable it is. I do lock it, but there's nothing to lock it TO, so it wouldn't be hard to pick up and carry out. Therefore...the Larkspur.

I use panniers that are hand-me-downs from my mom; I'd like to get better ones for carrying groceries.

bike4ever
08-20-2006, 06:19 PM
My commute bike is a John Deere green Frankenstein bike. I picked up a free Schwinn steel frame last year and put a hodge podge of stuff on it. This year when I was off my bikes due to a broken wrist, I had a coworker paint it John Deere green. I run Ultra Gatorskins 700X28, 8 spd group, CXP 30 rims with old R600 hubs, small riser handlebar off of one of my kids old bikes, ergonomic grips with rapid fire shifters and a Terry saddle. This bike usually has cheap platform pedals on it.

pedaddler
08-20-2006, 07:56 PM
a steel zini, converted to a single speed. has blinkies fore and aft and a nice holder for my caffiene fix. i like the quiet simplicity. especially nice after a taxing day.

Tater
08-21-2006, 06:58 AM
My commuter is a 2005 Raleigh M40dx mountain bike. I took the knobbies off and put some smoother Armadillos on, as there is quite a bit of debis on the road/bike lane as well as goat heads. She's also sporting a pair of Crank Bros. Egg Beater pedals, which I just love. Blackburn lights front and back and a Cateye blinkie on my backpack completes the package. I am looking into a set of panniers for colder weather as I think I will most likely be hauling a bit more stuff with me. (Plus I am looking into touring bikes and getting into self supported tours.)

DebW
08-21-2006, 07:23 AM
My road bike, Columbus steel frame from the mid 80s, 6 speed freewheel, downtube shifters, sewup tires, 22 pounds. The bike has eyelets for a rack but I seldom use one. My commute is over suburban 2-lane roads which are favored by cyclist on the weekends, so not a city-type commute.

Deanna
08-21-2006, 08:19 AM
My "commuter bike" is a Breezer Villager. My husband set up a website for sharing commute by bike info, here's my page:

http://www.sonic.net/~douglasi/bike/deanna.htm

When the weather's nice and we have plenty of daylight, I'll take my road bike (Raleigh Competition) and do an extended ride (25-35 miles)after work out on the local backroads.

SalsaMTB
08-21-2006, 09:14 AM
I commute on a KHS CX200. It's a cross frame, built up with cross wheel/tires, and fenders. I carry a backpack, but I could put a rear rack mounted to my seatpost. I love my commuter. It has a knobby tire because the roads here are awful and it help smooth things out and helps with the gravel. It's still makes for a quicker ride though because they're skinnies. I've found the cross setup to be ideal for the type of ride I have.

HappyAnika
08-21-2006, 10:39 AM
I ride my road bike, Trek 1500 WSD. My commute is 40 miles round trip on mostly country roads and/or a 65 mph hwy with a nice wide shoulder (plus some neighborhood and bike path riding). I bring just about everything I need to work the day before so I can stash just a few things in my camel back. I'm looking forward to the day when I live closer to work and can justify buying a hybrid and outfitting with panniers. I'm in the process of cleaning up my old neglected hand-me-down mtb to use for errands in town.

CorsairMac
08-21-2006, 11:24 AM
I ride my current road bike of choice: right now that would be the new Trek 1000 WSD. I don't use panniers, I use a backpack but I don't have to carry a laptop, just change of clothes and lunch. It's also big enough stop at the store for a few simple items. I was riding my Peugeot in the winter with bigger tires but the bike is really too big for me. I"m thinking I may put smooth tires on the MTB and ride that this winter......I just don't want to be on skinny tires on the ice. but it's not winter yet so I don't have to decide right now! LOL

GLC1968
08-22-2006, 04:33 AM
Wow...so much variety out there!

Thanks for all the information, everyone. I've been commuting on my road bike, but I really don't think it's a good idea. My husband has a rural commute and I'm very jealous! I don't ride through downtown, but I do ride very heavily traveled roads where there is a lot of debris and a lot of construction.

Anyway, I found my new commuter! I just purchased a mint condition 2004 Terry Classic for a great price!! She ships out on Thursday and I cannot wait to meet her! (Yes, I bought a bike sight-unseen...sue me! :p ) This bike will be both my commuter for now and my touring bike for later (once DH and I get that part of our cycling careers underway). :D

emily_in_nc
08-22-2006, 05:39 PM
Anyway, I found my new commuter! I just purchased a mint condition 2004 Terry Classic for a great price!! She ships out on Thursday and I cannot wait to meet her! (Yes, I bought a bike sight-unseen...sue me! :p ) This bike will be both my commuter for now and my touring bike for later (once DH and I get that part of our cycling careers underway). :D

That's great! I am so glad you found a Terry Classic like you wanted. Hope you enjoy it!

Emily