PDA

View Full Version : Kauai Hiking

Veronica
02-15-2004, 04:48 PM
The road biking isn't very good on Kauai. But the hiking is amazing!

http://www.tandemhearts.com/kauai-04/napali-coast/slides/napali-12.jpg

This is taken on the Kalahau Trail on the way to Hanakapi'ai Beach.

We've got some other pictures up on our site from our trip. Kauai is such a beautiful island with lots of opportunities to hike, kayak and snorkel.

Veronica

(http://www.tandemhearts.com/)

reddog
07-31-2004, 12:50 PM
We have had good luck road riding on Kauai. Though the rides tend to be short, the people are still very kind to cyclists! We have enjoyed going to Poipu, the bird sanctuary, and up the Waimea Canyon on our tandem...be sure your brakes are in great shape! Hanalei is fun and so are the old cane roads My husband does some solo road and mountain biking, as well. We have S&S couplers on our bikes, so we can check them on the inter-island flights. Although there are beautiful plants on all the islands, the Orchid Isle (the Big Island) remains our favorite for rides and flowers!

Amber2
04-06-2008, 01:58 AM
I found a link to all the cycling routes in Hawaii divided my area and difficulties so if your planning a trip you should really check it out
http://www.mybackpackingbuddies.com/the-bible-of-cycling-in-hawaii-48.html

Seems that I would go to Hawaii in few months so I started reading about the possible routes.

Fish Lady
08-15-2008, 07:53 PM
If you want to do an overnight hiking trip - be sure to send in your money and get your permit very early.... we planned on doing it, and were denied b/c my hubby did not send in the permit request on time. The day hike is still wonderful and a pretty good workout... and of course beautiful.

itself
04-03-2010, 05:57 AM
We will be travelling to Kauia shortly, and are very excited! Surprised to hear the road riding is good, as I read there are mainly highways to ride on and it can be quite hectic during rush hour.

We are looking forward to the hiking, I'll add some reviews when I get back...oh, what an island to live on permanently!

Lisa

bikerchic
04-19-2010, 02:38 PM
I just got back from Hawaii and I saw a lot of cyclist of all sorts there. The last day (yesterday) I saw a road club of ladies out for a ride, I was very invious! :D

At least I know next time I can rent a bike and do some cycling. In Waikiki it would be the best way to get around!

Anyway I totally loved my time in paradise.

MillieNZ
04-20-2010, 06:23 PM
you can hire specialized road & mountain bikes from the Bike Shop in Honolulu (dont ride on the side walks in Wakiki otherwise you'll get ticketed !)

I've found that bike groups are quite limited here, not much for social lady riders that aren't into racing ( I think the group you might have seen is the 'over 50's" group....). Road riding here is bit scarey in Honolulu but quieter on the Windward side. Mountain biking/trail riding is great :)

The Lankai tri was on sunday too :)

glad to hear you loved your time in paradise :)

crazycanuck
04-20-2010, 10:05 PM
MNZ!! You made it up there!!!

How's the mtn biking??? Harder than NZ???

MillieNZ
04-22-2010, 01:18 PM
All good here.... weather great:D

Still a bit mad and unsettled..... start college next week as a rather mature student :) working part time at bike shop which is torture as i'd rather spend than sell bike stuff !!!!

Off road trails have been explored but still lots to see........... rather regret selling the mountain bike in NZ and bringing the Scott across as would have got more use .... however great excuse to go bike shop.... currently stalking a Stumpjumper on ebay :)

How are you ???

itself
05-02-2010, 12:40 PM
We just got back from Kauai and the hiking was unreal. We hiked the 8 mile Hanakopei trail to the 1000 ft waterfall, pictures just don't do it justice.

We went to the West side of the island and hiked parts of the Waimea Canyon, what is considered their grand canyon. Simply beautiful.

The beaches are amazing, not all are swimmable, as the undertow is rough. Secret beach, Hideaway, Ke'e Beach, and Poilehele were just a few that we just amazing.

They have a 17 mile kayak trip for experienced kayakers of the Napali Coast. Also, you can get aboard a catamaran and do the same trip. Next time we will do that for sure!

The roads for biking I don't think are safe. Better on the West side...a bit disappointing, but some much to do otherwise.

Lisa

ACG
01-08-2012, 04:03 PM
Going to Kauai in April, looking for recommendations of names of services used for hiking and Na Pali coast. SO wants to do the downhill bike ride, I'm not really thrilled with this but will go with him. I heard road biking was difficult.

Thanks to all

amb
01-25-2012, 08:04 PM
My husband and I went to Kauai last May for our honeymoon. We hiked Na'Pali but not past the area where a permit is required so I can't help with services. We did the same Hanakopei trail already mentioned to the waterfall. It was awesome. We also did said mentioned 17 mi kayak of the coast. It's a LOT of paddling but excellent scenery!! Have a great trip, we had a blast.

PS. Check out the pineapple coconut ice cream at the shave ice stand in Hanalai. We ate it every day. YUM! The Dolphin restaurant market has nice sushi and poke to go for a sunset beach picnic too.

Angelina4!
08-23-2013, 03:19 AM
I found a link to all the cycling routes in Hawaii divided my area and difficulties so if your planning a trip you should really check it out
http://www.mybackpackingbuddies.com/the-bible-of-cycling-in-hawaii-48.html

Seems that I would go to Hawaii in few months so I started reading about the possible routes.

I found it as Superb link, I didn't found such type of places in one link.. Thanks to be here with this stuff. I've plan to go there actually with my friends, so that it would helpful for us..
Thanks.

sarawerbin
12-10-2014, 03:28 AM
I found it as Superb link, I didn't found such type of places in one link.. Thanks to be here with this stuff. I've plan to go there actually with my friends, so that it would helpful for us..
Thanks.
Hi! I'm sara and I'm new to biking! - seems like an awesome place! Planning on going there.

Shermankam
08-01-2019, 05:26 PM
Awesome - Going there in January shoot me some pics in that other post of mine you commented on... We have two weeks there so there will be ample diving time - looks like you discovered all the great places to go. I hope its still decent diving in Jan though