PDA

View Full Version : MassBike Festival August 26 Concord, MA

DebW
08-18-2006, 06:48 AM
MassBike's 4th Annual Festival and Pie Race. This looks like a cool event. Lots of rides to choose from and some demos, vendors, and activities.

http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1279387

Crankin
08-18-2006, 11:16 AM
I went last year. The vendors were not much... the ride was good, but most of the people started out like it was a race (I hate that). The food was awesome, though.

Imperfectstorm
08-20-2006, 07:10 AM
I was thinking of going solo, are people friendly?

Crankin
08-20-2006, 07:44 AM
Nobody seemed overly friendly. I mean, they weren't mean, but I went with my husband, we rode together, and no one really talked to us. I think most of the people seemed to be people who live in or near the city and saw the rides as a chance to be "out in the country." Problem is, all of the rides were in places we ride all of the time... there seemed to be a lot of families with kids doing the family type rides and a lot of younger people, urban commuter types, and some really fast riders.
Still, the rides were well organized. Perhaps I should have talked to someone else first!

CycleChic06
08-20-2006, 08:58 AM
The pie race sounds awesome. I'm trying to convince my non-biking friends to do this one with me. There's no excuses, only 6.5 miles AND you get to eat pie. They seemed to be concerned with the type of pie they'd give you. But in the end we all agreed the race would be even better if it was with cheesecake instead.

obie
08-21-2006, 05:41 AM
I was there last year - the pie was really good. They had a bunch of different flavors and there was some of each left out at each pie stop. So you get to pick your flavor. It was a really funny thing to watch!
The ice cream ride is really fun - I ride in the area pretty often and the ride went through some "new" areas...in sudbury and marlborough I think. A friend of a friend is one of the leaders and she said the ride was revamped this year because the organizer wanted more scenery, less traffic, and better ice cream stops. Sounds good to me!
I just hope the weather is good again this year.
Oh - I went solo and it was nice - plenty of friendly people, more the women though but isn't it always?

CycleChic06
08-21-2006, 10:39 AM
I wish there were better descriptions on the website. I didn't realize that th 45 mile ride actually had ice cream stops, I thought it was just called the ice cream headache.

Do you remember how many pie stops there were during the race?

CycleChic06
08-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Gee, I guess it helps to actually read the website...they did explain the pie race in depth. Nevermind!