PDA

View Full Version : Sucky transport trucks

run it, ride it
08-16-2006, 06:35 AM
My commute follows a high-traffic highway for transport trucks. I have between 6"-2' of pavement to the right of the white line, followed by a drop to a gravel shoulder. This was briefly discussed here: http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=9017

Most of the time, trucks will move over (if possible) or coast past me at the speed limit. I give a big thank-you wave to truck-drivers who move over for me. Why? Mostly out of relief. The way those trucks suck in anything around them is scary. If you've ever felt a car shudder on a major freeway full of transports, you'll understand that suction power.

When I hear a truck behind me, I'll stay on the road and make my decisions based on instinct. If the wind is light and they're not driving fast, I can keep my handlebars steady while they pass. If I hear a truck screaming up behind me, I pull off, stop while it passes, drag the bike back to the road and remount.

But last night, oh boy. My shift ends at dusk. It's bright enough to see the road, but not anything in the ditch. I've got bright LEDs on the front and back and wear a reflective backpack. I'm more than visible; people move far over when they see me, and no one has ever honked.

Still, darkness makes roadways more dangerous and therefore more frightening. I was already on edge after a pickup blew a tire JUST ahead of me and swerved off the road--a few less metres and that would have taken me out.

Then, not a minute later, my heart still pounding on my way down a slight decline, a transport comes screaming up behind me traveling much faster than the limit. It sucks me in before I have a chance to think and I barely manage to swerve onto the gravel. Anything is better than getting sucked under those wheels.

But then what? If I hit the brakes I'll fall for sure, so I fly on blindly into the darkness and luckily hit a lawn (and not a telephone pole or drainage ditch) to brake on.

Was I ever pissed. The truck easily could have moved over or slowed down when he first spotted me. The road is entirely straight and my LEDs are good up to at least 100m. He has no excuses there.

I won't stop riding on the road; I don't have any other way to get to work as I share a vehicle that is in use at that time. But geez, you'd think driving a rig of that size a person might have more consideration for the skinny girl on the featherlight bicycle. I am not a nervous person, but I was still shaking when I got home.

mimitabby
08-16-2006, 07:13 AM
hey run it, as sympathetic as i am to your situation, there is a possibility that the trucker (who was already speeding, a violation) didn't notice you; or noticed you too late to do anything about it. He could have been talking on his cell phone or peeing in a bottle!

That's what is so scary about riding on the road (which I do) you can't always know that the driver is being attentive!!

I think you need more lights. your life is worth it!

DebW
08-16-2006, 07:43 AM
Maybe you could request more police enforcement of speed limits on that stretch of road. Or if you can see the trucking company name, contact them about their dangerous drivers. These guys need a lesson in fluid dynamics and the effects of speeding trucks on everything around them. Maybe the drivers could be forced to ride a bike while a truck speeds passes them.

mimitabby
08-16-2006, 07:49 AM
Yeah, that's the worst part. Chances are the back of the truck is so filthy that even if she had the time and presence of mind (while fighting the vortex) to try and copy the license plate numbers, she couldn't because it's covered with MUD!
(been there, done that!)

Geonz
08-16-2006, 10:16 AM
You might cut and paste into a brief letter to the constabularies just so they know... they just might send someboyd by and give out a few extra tickets in that area (don't know how they do that stuff in your part of the universe).

Glad you got through it unscathed!!! Maybe that's your close call(s) for the year!

run it, ride it
08-16-2006, 05:41 PM
Ironically enough, that is one of the most policed stretches in the area. I know; I got a speeding ticket in June. The police car was the only other on the road.

Most drivers are aware of this fact and travel the limit. Just not this guy, I guess.

And man, if I add any more lumination I'm going to look like a flying saucer in Christmas lights!