PDA

View Full Version : "over 40"...show of hands?

Pages : [1] 2

gretchen
02-07-2004, 02:50 PM
I'm just wondering how many of you are the "over 40" crowd?
I just got into biking and want to make sure i'm not alone!!!!!
It's just not the same starting a sport at this age then age 20.
I would love to hear from anyone in this "club" with me!
gretchen (I really am showing my age by just useing my name..i should have come up with something more clever).

snapdragen
02-07-2004, 04:27 PM
Three more years and I'm the big five-oh!

Personally, I think the over 40 club is the best place to be!:p

Kathi
02-07-2004, 04:42 PM
56 in June. Started riding in my early 30's. Also soon to be retired, 3 more weeks.

snapdragen
02-07-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by Kathi
56 in June. Started riding in my early 30's. Also soon to be retired, 3 more weeks.

Well I'm envious as he!! - I'm hoping for retirement at 50....;)

Irulan
02-07-2004, 06:20 PM

jobob
02-07-2004, 08:27 PM
I'm 44, and I've been road biking since the age of 44 :cool:

And I'd love to retire, oh, tomorrow!

I get such a kick out of those people who say "oh I'll never retire, I'd be so bored!" There are so many things I want to do - I dream about the nice long unhurried bike tours I would take, for starters.

- Jo.

grannydea
02-07-2004, 08:55 PM
48 and proud of it.
And as the name implies a granny and proud of that too. been riding for almost 3 years now.

Dea

gretchen
02-08-2004, 05:00 AM
HI!
Hey! Thanks so much for the show of hands! I was just reading last night an article in Biking Mag. about bone loss and biking. I thought being a swimmer and biker i had picked two very sensible sports (as far as how they treat your body)...boy you can't win! So, here i sit about to head off to spin class eatting my 12 grain toast and soy nut butter...yummie! Any of you have back problems? I'm looking at surgery (And it better be an "in and out" deal) to help relieve a pinched nerve.

Irulan and Jo< what's your training routine like? I love to compare notes on this.
thanks! happy trails!

Kathi
02-08-2004, 08:56 AM
Bone loss can occur due to a number of factors. If you didn't build bone in your early years (up to age 30), if its in your genes, if you take steriods, ie. for asthma.
You start to lose bone after age 30 and rapidly for the first 5 years after menopause.
That's why its important to maintain what you have though diet and exercise like weight lifting.
All the bodys organs use calcium. When there is not enough it is taken from the bones. That why an adequate supply of calcium is important.
Even if you think you do enough, bone loss can still happen. Don't think that you are immune. If you break a wrist or ankle from a non traumatic incident and you are in your late forties or early 50's, its a red flag, get tested. That's how I found out because I broke my wrist falling off my mtn bike.

jobob
02-08-2004, 09:29 AM
Hi Gretchen!

Uh... training routine? What's that? :D

A few months ago, right when I was thinking I wanted to get more into road biking (as opposed to meandering around the bike paths on my clunky old hybrid), I was really fortunate to come across a notice for a progressive series of training rides put on by a local bike club, in preparation for a women-only metric century at the end of March. (here's the training group website if you're interested: http://cindy.polakoff.com/index.html ) Those rides are on Saturdays, and get longer and hillier as the weeks progress. There are a lot of women our age participating. You might want to check with your local bike clubs and shops, there might be similar types of groups you can join, it's really fun.

That's the most formal "training" I do. I also often ride for a few hours with my husband on Sundays, or we just go off on our own. I've also been going out two or three mornings per week for about an hour before I go to work (but I haven't done that for a couple of weeks since we're having out kitchen remodelled - but I hope to resume that soon).

Basically, I get out and ride whenever I can scrape together the time and have the energy. And, sometimes, even when I don't feel like it ... more often than not, when I grudgingly haul my butt out, after a few miles I'm really glad to be riding.

I have a cyclecomputer and keep track of my miles ridden, avg speed, that sort of thing at www.bikejournal.com just to get a feel for how I'm progressing.

What I'm hoping to do is get to a point where I can easily manage a reasonably long daily distance (say 60 miles, with hills and wind) so I can start doing some touring! Our vacation time is already pretty much spoken for this year (rats!), but Lee and I were talking last night about what kind of touring we'd like to do next year.

- Jo.

Irulan
02-08-2004, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by jobob
Hi Gretchen!

Uh... training routine? What's that? :D

- Jo.

uh, yah. BTDT with the note book at all. I ride a lot in the summer, do some walking when I'm not riding. In the winter I ski as much as possible, spin a couple of times a weeks, lift a couple of times a week. Try to eat good stuff most of the time.

that's about it.

Irulan

gretchen
02-08-2004, 11:58 AM
I'm becoming posessed by the bike thing..not sure why or what's going on, but prob. the personal challenge is the motivator. i'm spending way too much time surfing the web for bike info. My husband must be wondering who i am and who stole his wife!

I feel like if i don't seriously train now, come July, i'll be facing horrible days of "what was i thinking"! (the BIKE-AID ride).
I can't wait to get this pinched nerve (bulging disk...fun fun) fixed so i can push a little more.

I always thought i was in pretty good shape and all...walking my doggies (two of the world's best yellow labs...3 yr. old today! Happy Birthday to you...oh sorry...) for a 3 mile walk reliously every morning...sometimes cross country skiing with them, swimming a couple of times a week adn in the summer, riding every moment i can possibly fit in. Mostly just trails but pretty decent distances (20-70 miles). Then...I was reading about training in the "Dead Zone" or "No-mans land". That was ME! I would excercise just enough to be comfy...not really pushing myself to the next level. Not getting that heart rate up adn keeping it there (i'm ordering a heart monitor today...Polar M61) What a difference it has made to "get serious"! I just hope i can handle this summer ride. As i rmember from my many visits to sunny CA, the land is not exactly Illinois flats!!!!!!!!!!

Jobob - your training rides each week sound soooo perfect, thanks for the idea! I can't wait for the snow to melt!

I asked in another posting what kind of bike i ride now if i want to train on the awesome trails that go for miles and miles and miles right out my back door. Will I ruin my new road bike? I just don't want to wreck it adn don't want a car to wreck me!
I'm off to check out tht website jobob mentioned.
"obsessed" (that should be my new name!)

snapdragen
02-08-2004, 08:02 PM
Hi there! I checked out the Bike-Aid site - you're gonna do some hills girl! You're training now, so that's good, and I believe you mentioned spin classes? Those really helped me last year with hills, keep it up. Do you have to have surgery for your back? Have they given you any recuperation time? My dad had disc problems, he was lucky, a week in traction, and religious about exercise has kept it in check.

Do you still have your hybrid bike? You could ride the trails you mentioned on the hybrid, and ride your new bike on the street. That's actually a trick some of the AIDS riders used, they trained on heavier bikes, then switched to their lighter road bikes about a month before the ride. You could also get some "bomb proof" tires for your road bike - I like Panaracer Pasela TG. Bike Nashbar carries them (Item #PA-PSLTGK). In fact, I'd recommend them for your big ride too. I used them on the AIDS ride, and had NO flats.

You'll need to get used to riding in traffic - your trip will be on streets and highways. Do you have a local bike club? That might be a good place to start, go out on group rides and get used to riding with traffic. It's not as scary as it sounds!

Any other hints for her California Girls? I'm tired and starting to ramble.....:p

gretchen
02-09-2004, 05:23 AM
Snapdragon..you were a plethera of info...THANKS!
Back Surgery: It's prob. more my choice...it's just a constant twinge....after working out it gets worse, and only in my right hip and leg. My left leg is saying "what's the big deal...get over it right leg, i'm feeling no pain". The recovery time is quick. The neurosurgeon just goes in (microsurgery), shaves the bone that the nerve is being pressed up against and and relieves the pressure. Wa La. It's an outpatient thing. He said i can resume training right away (!).
I am feeling so much stronger training but have this annoying pain that keeps my left side thinking that it's overworked...NOT!

Spin class is going great. The first one i took 4 weeks ago was tough and yesterday I almost stayed for the second class. I'm loving it as i get stronger adn stronger.

I wrote down the tire info. Thanks!!!!

and as for hills. I HATE HILLS. Guess i better get over that, huh?
My game plan is to add a "hills" day to my routine when the weather gets nice. Our house is sorounded by hills and i'll just make a course of hills around our neighborhood. (My neighbors will think i've totally lost it).
Joining a local bike club is also on my "List-O-Things-To-Do".

Time to take the doggies for their walk!
Thanks again! : ))))

emily_in_nc
02-09-2004, 09:35 AM
I'm 42 and have been riding off and on since age 27 or so. Got much more serious about it last year and rode my first four full centuries (other than one stoking a tandem about a decade ago). I plan to ride til I'm in my 70s - or longer! Seriously, the average age in our bike club is 40s! All the "young'uns" these days seem to be into mountain biking and leave the road biking for us oldsters! ;)

Emily

kate
02-09-2004, 12:36 PM
This probably makes me the oldest but I am 63 and have been riding since October. I just did my first group ride of 30 miles and plan on doing 50 in March. I also go spinning 3 times a week since June .

Kate

kpc
02-09-2004, 01:27 PM
49 (really)
As long as you are going in for surgery, and getting labs tests, why don't you get a bone density test?

Irulan
02-09-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by emily_in_nc
Seriously, the average age in our bike club is 40s! All the "young'uns" these days seem to be into mountain biking and leave the road biking for us oldsters! ;)

Emily

I'm an exclusive mountain biker at the ripe old age of 43. I don't even own a road bike!! All my pals are about this age too. Nothing like being off in the woods with a pack of 40-something wild women, the guys are always kind of shocked when we pop out into the clearings.

Irulan

gretchen
02-09-2004, 03:05 PM
Emily - I like your plan to keep biking until 70 and beyond.

I can' t wait to find a bike club here and join in. I used to see them from "afar" and think i would never be one of those all duded up with spandex on scarry little thin tires!
Times have changed.

kpc - thanks for the idea of getting bone density test...great idea.
I was just in for my annual check up with my gyn. and she said my hemoglobin is really low too...WHAT GIVES! 8.something...it's always been on the low side but she said i will never make it through my training when such a low number let alone up hills and 700 miles of road. AHHHH! The wierd thing is, i have the energy of about 8 people. Bring on the spinach and meat!
Not to mention the yogart and milk!
Did i mention i'm 45...46 in March. (feeling like 30).
gretchen

Irulan
02-09-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by gretchen
my hemoglobin is really low too...WHAT GIVES! 8.something...it's always been on the low side but she said i will never make it through my training when such a low number let alone up hills and 700 miles of road. AHHHH! The wierd thing is, i have the energy of about 8 people. Bring on the spinach and meat!
Not to mention the yogart and milk!
Did i mention i'm 45...46 in March. (feeling like 30).
gretchen

do you cook with cast iron? That will keep you in iron!!!

Irulan

gretchen
02-09-2004, 04:28 PM
Irulan...I'm going to start eatting iron skillets!!!!
I can't stand it when something "goes haywire" with me.
Being sick...what's that. (am realizing that the old bod is a little less forgiving then it used to be!). Hate that.
My new motto...
Eat for strength (or if it tastes really good), excercise for hills, and bike for fun! : ))))))
gretchen

Irulan
02-09-2004, 05:55 PM
seriously, about cast iron. I never had to take iron during either of my pregnancies due to high iron, attibuted to lots of cast iron pots and pans.

Irulan

gretchen
02-10-2004, 04:54 AM
Irulan- At first i thought maybe you were kidding with the cast iron skillet questioin...then...i went to a web site to check out high iron foods (of which i thought i ate a TON...7 grain cereal for breakfast, spinach and asparagus and feta on a spinach roll up or in scrambled eggs for lunch adn a meat and veggie and carb for dinner..i'm a really GREAT eatter...no gross stuff (well....once i a while) )....anyway, the site says that YES! cook in cast iron! : )))
I also learned that soy protien doesn't allow the body to absorb iron like it should, and , i switched to soy milk over the summer!
Darn...i really like the stuff. It's great for lattes (which i won't give up) but i'll switch making my 7 grain cereal with soy milk to skim milk.
FYI: we should all be drinking the "non-hormone" skim milk. My mom has stage 0 (good thing!!!) Ductal Carcinoma In-Sytu (breast) this summer and her surgeon said that at a seminar in Miami they talked about research on how overboard milk producers are about giving their cows hormones and they get passed on to us. Not good for breast cancer!
I'm going to pick up a cast iron skillet this morning on my way to work. : )
thanks! gretchen

annie
02-10-2004, 07:49 AM
49 here, just had a BD. Does this mean I have one more good year left till I hit the big 5-0?? Just kidding. I feel younger and more energetic most of the time now than I did in my 20's and 30's. So busy then raising my 4 kids. Now the youngest, my baby!, turns 16 today. So I have more free time, more time to bike, ski, whatever and take care of me, too. I have to say I am enjoying it!
The 40's have been great, I expect that to continue into the years to come.:D I really think it's important to get in healthy shape, and keep working to stay that way! You get older - can't stop that process - but you still FEEL great (most of the time) and are ready for whatever adventure comes your way. Life can be very good when you have a bike and you can just get on it and GO! (Okay, it's a little too cold here to do much of that, but the time is coming....... and I must say, riding through snow is one he## of a good workout!)

I am lucky to have a road bike club with lots of riders in their 40's-50's. We all relate pretty well to each other. Plus a mountain bike club with a wide range of ages, from teens up to 60's. I feel comfortable will all of them. Can't keep up with them all, but as far as getting along, age doesn't really seem to matter. We are all riders and supportive of each others efforts.

I agree about the cast iron pans. I use them all the time. Eggs, especially, will pick up a good amount of iron from the pan. So scramble some eggs in your new pan, Gretchen. Or make an omelet. Throw in some good veggies, you're all set. ;)

gretchen
02-10-2004, 11:27 AM
Hey Annie...
Iowa huh?...I went to Iowa State. Loved it!
You have the same lovely weather that we do here in the Chicago area...lucky us! Hearing about the girls in SF and San Diego...i could cry for some warm weather! When i worked out last night (it was a "weights" day) i listened to my John Mayer CD which is what i listened to all summer while riding out on the bike paths. It made me work even harder just thinking about getting out there again.

I am headed to Bed Bath and Beyond for my Iron skillets after work today! My lunch today is spinach, asparagus, broccolli with an egg, and if i had sauted it in an iron skillet i would be all set...darn!

Has anyone heard about loosing iron in your blood from increased working out? I read just a little blerb about that.
Can you tell i'm a little bugged abou this low iron thing?!!!

Thanks for any info you have...I really do appreciate it.

kpc
02-10-2004, 12:09 PM
Don't know about the working out thing. But I used have had low hemoglobin. During preganacy it's gotten too low - been fatigued. I did the iron pots, supplements, meats. The only thing that finally made my hemoglobin budge was a half of a liverwurst sandwich each day. kind of weird. But 8 seems pretty low. are you losing blood somewhere? Heavy periods, ulcer?
As I've gotten older my periods have gotten much shorter, now my labs are fine. I'm all about soy too, can't really imagine that adults are supposed to be drinking the milk of other mammals. But maybe you're getting too much. I have a serving or two without any problem. I'm thinking you just need to keep experimenting with diet, pans, etc.
Sounds like you're on the right track.

annie
02-10-2004, 02:20 PM
kpc,

Got a question for you. Maybe it's a dumb question, but since I don't know the answer, I'll ask anyway.......... It sounds like you only drink soy milk, right? Do you get the same amount of calcium in soy milk as in cow's milk? I've never tried soy milk, always done fine on the "other mammals" milk. I figure - they're a mammal, we're a mammal, what the heck....... - Just a different way of looking at it, I guess. If soy is really more beneficial, I would be willing to give it a try, however, I count on my milk as part of my daily calcuim intake so would need to know if that would be affected by soy milk. I know soy is supposed to be great for pre-menopausal symptoms but I don't seem to be suffering from anything there yet so it's not really an incentive to go for the soy. Would you share your reasons for using soy? I would truly appreciate it. The thing about the hormones being fed to the cows is a little scary so let me know what you think, okay?:p

Thanks!

annie
02-10-2004, 02:34 PM
Gretchen,

Just re-read your post about hating hills.......Not gonna work, girl! You need to learn to love those hills. They are what will make you a stronger rider. They will challenge you to improve. They will make riding more interesting. Approach a hill as something you will own. By riding up that hill, you have defeated it and it's yours then! You know, if something is really easy to do, the sense of accomplishment is not going to be so wonderful, but those hills, when you get them, you feel awesome! It will happen, but you have to get out and push. It's worth a little struggle and gasping for air and aching legs. It gets better eventually. The hills seem shorter. They never get easy, nope, 'cause when they get easier, we just push harder to go up faster. Duh! But they do end more quickly and you definitely will feel good about how strong you are.

Can you tell I love hills? Didn't always, believe me. I know people think of Iowa as flat - trust me - it isn't ALL flat. I live right next to the Mississippi river and all we have are hills and valleys. It's all up and down. Wonderful training terrain. NOT as good as mountains, but when I've ridden in mountains after training here, I have felt competent. So you make your hill route, when the weather allows. You have plenty of time as long as you keep active all winter. I bet you will find the hills become a great part of your riding.

gretchen
02-10-2004, 05:53 PM
re: Hills...
Annie...you've inspired me! No, really! I've always looked at hills as monsters, dreaded them, avoided them, cursed them and hated it when they beat me (as in getting off the bike after feeling like you're going to throw up if you push any more!).
I am psyching myself to look at them with a new approach.

I really can't get over what spin classes have done for me. I"m hopeing that training during the winter adding several more days a week and a much more serious training routine will leave me in the beginning of the Spring where i usually am by the end of the summer. (much stronger).

Ok, bring on those hills!
Thanks! Those pep talks really keep me going.
(although i'm taking tonight off just to be a couch spud in front of the fire...i NEVER do this...just feel the need). : )

Irulan
02-10-2004, 06:00 PM
I'd check your basic camping outfitter or army surplus type camping store for cast iron, methinks you'll pay triple at a specialty kitchen shop. You'll need to season it too, and learn to care for it properly.

Irulan

Adventure Girl
02-10-2004, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by gretchen
Ok, bring on those hills!
Off-topic: That's the attitude!:D Climb and conquer!
There's a 20-ish mile loop that I do often (mountain bike) that ends with a 20 minute climb. At the bottom you can look up this enormous hill and see this little, tiny "monopoly" size house at the top. And you know that you have to get there!!! I used to hate that climb, but now I savior the victory!:D

On-topic: I, too, am in the 40-plus class. I started riding when I was in my late 30's and started racing at 40. The over-40 women's beginner's class is an odd group in mountain biking. Most women start when they are younger and are sport level riders in their 40's. The starter at my first race announced our class and said that the term "granny" means something different to us than the rest of the racers...

Irulan
02-10-2004, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Adventure Girl
On-topic: I, too, am in the 40-plus class. I started riding when I was in my late 30's and started racing at 40. The over-40 women's beginner's class is an odd group in mountain biking. Most women start when they are younger and are sport level riders in their 40's. The starter at my first race announced our class and said that the term "granny" means something different to us than the rest of the racers...

so did you smack him?

I won the over 40 beginner's in the only race I ever did, lone class participant:D

Irulan

Trek420
02-11-2004, 05:59 AM
47...wil be 48 on the day of the Cinderella...wonder if they got my registration in time?

jobob
02-11-2004, 06:06 AM
That's great, Trek! I hope I can find you in the crowd to wish you a Happy Bday. I'll be near the back :D

Yow, I just checked the web site ... registration for the Cinderella is closed already! They weren't kidding, were they?

- Jo, who checked her bank account online, and found her entry fee check has been cashed, whew!

Trek420
02-11-2004, 07:17 PM
"That's great, Trek! I hope I can find you in the crowd to wish you a Happy Bday. I'll be near the back :D"

I'll be in back of you ;-)

Just checked my mailbox, no card, guess I'll call the bank.

I'm short, dark haired, glasses and on the round side, will be riding a mountain bike Blue GT Outpost trail with slicks (don't think I'll have or if I do be used to my new bike yet by then)

We can work out the secret handshake if we all get registered.

Dogmama
02-12-2004, 03:34 AM
OK, I'll 'fess up.

49. Riding 15 years. Bought custom bike as a present for my 40th birthday & road across Arizona (the LONG way for all of you cynics out there!). Great fun, I did it, can say I did it & never have to do it again!:D This was before saddles with the cut- outs. That leather saddle got mighty old!

gretchen
02-12-2004, 08:48 AM
That is so great you biked across Arizonia!!!...or sorry...the LONG way! ; )))))))
How many miles was that? How long did it take you? What dod you do to train? Any hints, recomentations, warnings, etc...for those us us who like the challange of a loooonnnngggg ride?

Off the subject: I am just not getting comfy on my saddle...
I've been on it about 2 weeks. Do i stick it out or look for another? The problem?...it's the little nerve just below my sits bone on the left side. On my old bike with the "Target Special" seat it would take an all day ride (at least 6 hours) before that little nerve would start to hollar at me. With this saddle it takes about 45 minutes. Oh, its a Dolce with the split back and the hole in the middle. Hmmmmmm. Any ideas.
Oh, another question. What do you do with your "old" bike seats that are really not old at all and look just like new? E Bay?
Thanks! Gretchen

Trek420
02-12-2004, 09:19 AM
"Oh, another question. What do you do with your "old" bike seats that are really not old at all and look just like new? E Bay?
Thanks! Gretchen"

I've usualy donated my old saddles to Trips for Kids.

I'm in the same boat with you, the saddle that came with my mountain bike is not comfy since I'm basicly using it to train for longer rides. I'll switch it soon to what I usualy use on a road bike.

Adventure Girl
02-12-2004, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by Trek420
I've usualy donated my old saddles to Trips for Kids.

What is "Trips for Kids"? I have boxes of old bike parts (saddles, stems, bars, etc.) Some of it is old, used stuff. But some of it is pretty nice and new. I'd love to donate that stuff to a good cause.

I tried lots of saddles until I found the perfect fit. So I bought 3 of them. One for my FS mountain bike, one for my hard tail and one for my road bike.

Veronica
02-12-2004, 09:29 AM
It would be cool if all the us doing Cinderella could somehow get together for a photo op. Thom's planning on coming down with me to take pictures during the ride.

I'm hoping to do the ride on our tandem with a friend from my club - if the bike fits her. It's a purpleen Santana with S and S couplers. Otherwise I'll be on Fluffy - orange Rivendell Rambouillet with white fenders.

Gretchen about saddles - I've spent many hours and miles on a Brooks Finesse. They're expensive, but Wallingford Bike offers a six month return policy, so if you don't like it - it can go back.

http://www.wallbike.com/Products2.html#finesse

Stuff we bought and didn't like - sits on a shelf in our garage. ;)

Veronica

gretchen
02-12-2004, 09:46 AM
hey veronica....

You guys talking about he Cinderella ride makes me soooo envious! TI sounds like such fun!!!!!!!!!!!! Us "up tight" midwesterners (!) need to get a ride together like that! Have a great time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I"ll ride vicariously through you all.

Re: seats: I checked out that site...that was sooo thoughtful of you to include it (thanks!). Ok, call me a big wimp but my butt would be wondering what the heck i was doing on that...It looks like it's soooo stiff (?). I have found that the little hole in the middle of the newer type saddles are a MUST for me. My girlie parts would not allow me to even ride a bike until i found a seat with that wonderful feature.
I must say, the Brooks must be a REALLY great product if they are willing to stand behind (no pun intended) their product like that, quite impressive! Thanks again and HAVE A GREAT time on the ride! (oh, when is it?).
gretchen

Veronica
02-12-2004, 09:58 AM
Cinderella is March 27.

I wasn't really keen on getting the Brooks at first. I had a Terry Butterfly on the tandem and after a couple of hours I would get cramps in my upper hamstrungs - especially if we were doing a long relatively flat ride with little time out of the saddle. Thom finally got sick of me whining and ordered the Brooks (he already had one.) To be honest it's the only saddle I've ever had that I could actually tell I was sitting on my sit bones. But they're not for everyone.

Veronica

pedalfaster
02-12-2004, 10:02 AM
Originally posted by Adventure Girl
What is "Trips for Kids"? I have boxes of old bike parts (saddles, stems, bars, etc.) Some of it is old, used stuff. But some of it is pretty nice and new. I'd love to donate that stuff to a good cause.

Great organization! Volunteer to help lead a ride if you have the time, it's really fun.

Trips For Kids (http://www.webcom.com/tfk/)

Trek420
02-12-2004, 11:12 AM
pedalfaster "Great organization! Volunteer to help lead a ride if you have the time, it's really fun."

Plus they have a second hand store in Marin, the only thrift store I can think of that's all bike stuff! So anything you donate that is not used for the kids bikes can go there to help the group.

Trek420
02-12-2004, 11:16 AM
Veronica "It would be cool if all the us doing Cinderella could somehow get together for a photo op. Thom's planning on coming down with me to take pictures during the ride."

Before or after the ride? If after you might be waiting a while for me to catch up ;-) Better make it before.:)

Veronica
02-12-2004, 11:58 AM
I figured before would probably be best and easiest to coordinate.

V.

Trek420
02-12-2004, 07:47 PM
"I figured before would probably be best and easiest to coordinate.

V. "

I'm in the Cinderella, they cashed the check!

V, should we move this subject out of "new cyclists" and to the group in general to see how many on Team Estrogen are going?

Dita

Irulan
02-12-2004, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by Trek420
"I figured before would probably be best and easiest to coordinate.

V. "

I'm in the Cinderella, they cashed the check!

V, should we move this subject out of "new cyclists" and to the group in general to see how many on Team Estrogen are going?

Dita

maybe to nor cal forum?

Trek420
02-12-2004, 08:56 PM
"maybe to nor cal forum?"

sure, sounds good :rolleyes: :cool:

Irulan
02-13-2004, 07:17 AM
oops. I*thought* we had a CA forum, that must be another board. !!

I.

Trek420
02-13-2004, 07:19 AM
"oops. I*thought* we had a CA forum, that must be another board. !!"

I,

We're jealous, you're seeing ANOTHER board?!?!

D

Trek420
02-13-2004, 07:22 AM
"maybe to nor cal forum?"

whadya know, it's been taken care of, everyone ride on over to:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=928

we're taking a headcount for the photo-thanks V! :rolleyes:

kpc
02-14-2004, 03:28 AM
Annie, sorry to take so long getting back to you. We just got a new puppy and life is rather havocful. I just feel like milk is for babies of the species. I'm not a baby and I'm not a baby cow. It just seems like an odd thing (to me) to drink something produced to help babies grow. That said, I do have some milk, cheese, etc when I want. I'm not strict. I really just prefer the taste, digestibility and logic behind soymilk. I drink Silk which is fortified with calcium, almost the same as milk. Since I have one or two glasses daily, I also take a calcium suppplement. I haven't gotten a bone density test yet, but I've fell on wet rocks in the creek and landed hard on my wrist without breaking it, as well as other falls on cement. Kind of like an unpleasant bone density test? You may need to research a little. It sounds like with your mother's history you may have breast cancer risk in your family. I think there is some thought that more than two servings a day can increase breast cancer risk due to the plant phytoestrogens which have may some hormonal properties. I do think that each person's body is unique and what is best for each is different. So run it by your doctor too.

paintgirl
02-14-2004, 04:02 AM
I am definetely in the over 40 group, I'm 52, and have been riding regularly for about 5 years, more serious in last 3, commute to work in warmer weather, ride a lot on weekends, holidays, obsess over the "perfect" bike. Because we have more cold weather than warm in Northern Ontario I end up doing things like sno shoeing, shovelling snow any number of weight bearing exercises. This weekend my broomball team is seeking it's record 12 consecutive championship in our winter carnival, and I am proud to say that I keep up with and pass a lot of the younger gals on the teams we play. I keep saying I'll retire from broomball each year, but every Sept when we start up again, I go back, because it is great fun. (We don't have ice in Sept. outside, we do play indoors!) In summer I play softball as well as bike, and have always done a free weight routine at home, nothing impressive, but enough to keep the bones healthy. I work fulltime, a nurse at a sexual health std clinic, and will be working for some time yet, have 2 sons in University, a daughter going next year, and my youngest daughter the year after. Those financial concerns will keep me at work, but I like my job too, just would like longer weekends. Well, better get outside and practise my broomball shot,(got a great broom from an online place in Minnesota!) hoping for spring, miss my bike Paintgirl

annie
02-14-2004, 05:41 AM
kpc,

Thanks for the reply. Have fun with your new puppy! Havoc for a reason........

I go in for a complete physical on Tuesday. Due for one. I will talk to my doctor about all sorts of health issues. I'm going to bring up the soy milk. Get a bone density test done, mammogram, pap, blood tests, all the icky stuff that one must do occasionally. Should be interesting. See if anything's changed since last time.Never had a bone density before so I am very curious about what that will show. My mom has severe osteoporosis, takes medication everyday. I can only hope I don't take after her! We are built and look nothing alike. I take after my dad that way. Hopefully, that carries over to my insides.......... Should be interesting. I've certainly had many falls off bikes. Only one that caused a fracture, and that was a bad crash and the bone healed in a normal amount of time.

Has anyone else here in this over-40 bunch had bone density tests? Sufficient calcium intake and a weight lifting routine are highly recommended, I know. Are there other things to be doing?

gretchen
02-14-2004, 06:23 AM
Annie - best of luck at the dr's. I just went too last week. I have my milogram (for the bulging disk i want to get 'fixed') on Tues. as well and have a BUNCH of blood work done too (that low hemoglobin).
Does anyone read "Biking Magazine"? They had a great aritcle on bone loss, etc. in there. From what i understand we should be all jumping up and down (!) to wake up those calcium/bone generating little guys down our spines. Because biking tends to be low impact (not talking to you brave wild women on the chunkie bikes) we tend to loose bone mass even faster becasue there is nothing to stimulate that regeneration. It was a fasinating article.
After reading aritcles like that you sum it all up and figure you can't win any way you look at it!!!! You run for impact...you wreck your knees and back, you bike and swim...you wreack your bone density. I guess we just need to be aware of EVERYTHING, treat our bods well and live life full. : )))

cyclingnewbie
02-15-2004, 12:36 PM
I'm 43 and started riding seriously last summer in an effort to drive down my blood pressure. I lost some weight and found myself plotting my next opportunity to ride all the time! I haven't found any riding partners yet so I really appreciate everyone in these forums and their advice. I joined my local biking club and am planning to participate in my first formal event in May. Cycling is a great way to get some exercise when you're not twenty-something any more!

gretchen
02-15-2004, 01:40 PM
cy.newbie...
I'm trying to get up the nerve to join my local cycling club...not sure why i'm intimidated? First I have to find them! I guess i could just go to the LBS or on line.
What's your first event?
I'm in good shape but HATE to compete with other people...i just like to ride and ride and ride...no time limits, no "who's going faster then who". I"m a 'destination person'...you pick a far off destination, get there when you get there, enjoy the time there and return home again. I"m afriad that i'll be left in the dust if i bike with a group!
Do you have a road bike or mountain or hybred?

doctorfrau
02-15-2004, 04:25 PM
/raises hand.

I turned 40 last summer, and bought a used mt bike (schwinn - yeah I know) as a gift to myself - just to get started. I hadn't been on a bike in 24 years.

There are lots of good Rail-to-Trails around here, but otherwise it is ALL hills (this is West Virginia).

I rode the wimpy 30 mile version of the Mountain Mama challenge in August of last year, and didn't collapse! I was killing myself though, hauling that mt bike up and down all those macadam hills. Was working waay harder than I needed to , so now I want a decent road bike.

What I think I want is a Specialized Sequoia.

Problem now is coming up with, and justifying the money, as I am divorced, mother to 3, AND in medical school.
Too many things on my plate!! Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhh! :):confused:

cyclingnewbie
02-15-2004, 05:22 PM
Gretchen,

I am currently riding a Fuji hybrid but, like most cyclists, have already developed a lust for a new bike. My first event will be the 26 mile route of the Huffman Classic (Dayton Cycling Club). I didn't want to take on anything longer so I don't embarrass myself the first time out! I joined the cycling club not to compete (I HOPE they aren't like that!) but to find people to ride with. I am a bike trail person; I hate riding in traffic. I'm hoping that some of the club rides will teach me how to manage in traffic.

Doctorfrau,

Wow! If you did anything that starts with "Mountain" in the name, you're in way better shape than I am!! I hear you about the new bike thing. I'm having narrower tires put on my hybrid and a few other things done to improve it a bit without investing in a completely new bike.

gretchen
02-16-2004, 06:11 AM
"Doc"...I am so impressed! Not just with the mountain bike challenge but the rest of your life! Med school huh?...Way to go!
How old are your kids? I found after i was divorced (13 years ago with two little ones, one with special needs) i found a whole new life, a whole new "ME" and best of all....am remarried and still finding this new person! Sounds like you are a stong person all the way around. Although you'll be challenged, you'll do GREAT!
Re: getting a road bike...how about asking around in you LBS for used ones. I think "roadies" tend to baby their bikes so you'll prob. find one that is 'gently' used. orrrrrr...when's your next birthday? I've been requesting bike stuff for my birthdays, Christmas, etc...
All the best to you in your "next phase" of life! You're going to love it!

"Cy-newbie"... I have a Specialized Allez. I looked at the Siquoia (i know i spelled that wrong!!!) too and my brother in law who has an Allez already talked me into not getting it. I'm sure it's an awesome bike. Check the components...The Allez is all Shimano Ultegra (wow, i'm a bad speller!!!) and i think the Siquoia is mixed? I can't remember off hand what it was that sold me on the Allez. Anyway, you'll like the Specialized bikes.
I was riding a hybred and bit the bullet and can't wait now for warmer weather to get out there!!!!!
I too am nervous about traffic and am hoping to find some routes that are on the quiet side. I would have no problem on my old bike but the clipless thing is what is making me nervous! (that i won't be able to unclip in traffic!!!! AHHHHHH!). I about fell off my spin bike yesterday because i couldn't get one clip out....try to manage that one. DAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gretchen
02-16-2004, 06:13 AM
woops! I just realized that i wrote responses to "cy-newbie" and they should have gone to "the doc"!!! Sorry ladies, i'm sure you'll figure out what the heck i'm talking about and to whom! :D

kpc
02-16-2004, 04:05 PM
I dunno. I have a Specialized Allez too. Even tho' I was fitted for it, I don't like it near as much as my mtn bike. I guess my screwed up neck/shoulder have made me unable to hunch over. I just don't enjoy the road bike after about half an hour. I'm going to work with a former LBS owner/friend and put in a new stem to raise up the handlebars even futher. So, just be prepared. The Specialized is soo fast, so light and easy to pedal. But way different. The ggod thing about the cold is that I'm can put the road bike out of commission without feeling resentful. Good luck finding the right bike.

gretchen
02-16-2004, 05:12 PM
kpc - I'm hoping that i will get stretched out enough to be comfy on my road bike (specialized). I was told by EVERYBODY I talked to that that's the way to go for long hauls. I hope they're right!

It's "weight's night" for me...I'm off to the gym. I sure hope this training cuts it for this long ride this summer! I just got the fund raising info and it's psyched me up! :D

Tomorrow is the big day for tests for me...myalagram and the dreaded blood test...let's hope all that Total Cereal i ate over the past week paid off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I still need to get my cast iron skillet.

annie
02-18-2004, 06:10 AM
Gretchen,

How did your tests go? I had my appointment with the doc yesterday. You are not alone! I found out I have a slightly low hemoglobin level! I was very surprised. It's not terrible..... it was 11.4. But my previous ones were a little over 14, so it is a drop. I am at the finishing end of a loooong menstrual period (over 10 days and counting) so it could be from that. I have to go back in and get re-tested when I am mid-cycle and see what that shows. Hopefully it will back to normal. I get blood drawn for tests today. Not sure what all they'll look at. I am curious as to my cholesterol, etc. That's always been fine, but I suppose that could have changed, too. I will be having a mammogram and bone density test next month. Soonest they could get me in. Isn't it fun to be over 40?? (For me it's almost over 50!) Better to keep on top of it all, I guess. I get my eyes tested today. Might as well get it all over with at once. :rolleyes:

It's getting warmer here...... maybe will hit 40 F today! I am hoping to get outside and ride this weekend! :::::keeping fingers crossed:::::

annie

gretchen
02-18-2004, 10:00 AM
annie-
WOW! You're really doing all sorts of check ups! I had my first mamogram 6 years ago when i turned 39 i think. It was find but the next one i got the dreaded call. After several more test, a biopsy and sonogram it turned out to be calcifications. YEA!!!!!
I'll bet you that your low hemoglobin is due to your heavy and long period. You are prob. going through perimenepaus...more fun for the over 40's!!!
My tests went well...or as well as you can imagine when they feed a 3 inch needle into your spin and inject die into the membrain that contains the spial fluid. Sounds really gross, but...I have to say not as bad as i thought it would be. YEA! The worst was the big deal they made about it afterwards. I had to be at a 45 degree angle for 3 HOURS!!! after. Nobody warned me about that...i thought it was in and out. Oh well, good excuse to sit and watch HGTV and TLC (i'm not a soap person!). I had my blood drawn first thing in the morning and will get the results in about a week (or i'll call my doctor when i get impatient the end of the week! : ) ). I'm nervous about that...i hate the waiting game too. The myalogram will be looked at and i'll have that appointment on Monday. I'm not nervous about that because i already know what's wrong (bluging disk).
It's such a good idea to get a full blood panel done while things are "ok" (hopefully!!!) then in the future you have something to compair to.
I heard weather reports for almost 50 (!) by Friday. I need to get to my LBS to get my bike adjusted. I keep tweeking it and i think i'm messing it up more then helping matters. The roads are calling us!
Where in Iowa do you live? Do you ride on roads or trails?
Well, good luck with the vampire today and the rest of your tests.

:D :D :D gretchen

oldbikah
02-18-2004, 04:41 PM
I just turned 61 last month. Started with a little mountain biking about 10 years ago, then got interested in road biking about 3 years ago. Last summer was the first time I really rode very much, nothing like the 50 and 60 mile rides I read about in these posts. I ride mostly alone, and would love to do longer rides if I had some companions. I live in the western mountains of Maine and there are no bike clubs near me. Some of our roads are pretty treacherous (logging trucks, etc) so I am careful about where I ride.
Last summer I got more ambitious as I had to get ready for a 2 week bike trip in New Zealand. That was a blast, BTW, and I hope to do more group trips.
Winter is for skiing--here we get 6 months of winter, 6 weeks of mud season, and some pretty cool biking on both ends. But June thru September are pretty great! You California riders are pretty fortunate!!

SeniorBabe
03-03-2004, 07:47 PM
I'm 62 and just started riding about 8 months ago. I got a custom road bike because of arthritis here and there (everywhere). This after a life of couch addiction.

I just decided I am going to sign up for a week-long tour at the end of the summer, and am now getting organized to train so I can ride the whole thing instead of hopping into the SAG wagon within 5 miles.

I'm walking everyday for bones (doc says bike won't cut it for the decaying hip), plus working out at a gym, and getting some kind of riding in daily. Sometimes it's on a stationary bike, rest of the time it's on my bike. I'm going to start riding weekends with a local bike club. I am not a new newbie anymore, but I'm still slow, and die on hills but getting better.

Anybody out there in Orange Co California who can ride weekdays and wants to go with a rider like me?

gretchen
03-04-2004, 04:25 AM
Hey! For anyone who was reading about the saga of my low iron...i got all the blood work back..
My whole blood panel was awesome, low cholestoral, blah blah blah...the iron was up in a week after taking low dose iron pills to 10.6 (from 8.4) and the dr. was amazed. She's totally baffled as to why it was low with no blood in sight anywhere, but said that it actually could have been from 16 (!) years ago when i had my son and lost TONS of blood. How wierd is that?!!!! So, i'll take the iron pills for the next 4 months and see how high it can go!
: ))))
I'm soooo relieved! (usually it takes 2 weeks to show significant signs of increase when taking iron...and these pills are not theraputic type...just over the counter).
YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh, i rode "slick" yesterday 10 miles and the day before hills and 10 miles and am feeling great. I'm going to try and get 20 in this morning. (in spite of the crummy whether!).
ps....I LOVE MY BIKE...oh! and i found a really comfy seat!
LIFE IS GOOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gretchen

Trek420
03-04-2004, 05:28 AM
gretchen wrote
Hey! For anyone who was reading about the saga of my low iron...i got all the blood work back..
My whole blood panel was awesome, low cholestoral, blah blah blah...the iron was up in a week after taking low dose iron pills to 10.6 (from 8.4) and the dr. was amazed. ...

Do you cook with cast iron? If you don't I've found it's a good way to add iron to your diet without the side effects of the iron pills. :p

gretchen
03-04-2004, 07:08 AM
no, but everytime i go out to run erronds i always add that to my list and always run out of time!
One of these days i'll be 'cook'n' in iron! : )
gretchen

annie
03-04-2004, 07:22 AM
Gretchen,

Glad you got good results back! Isn't it nice to know for sure that all is well? I, too, got happy results from all my blood work. I need to get back in and get my hemoglobin tested again...... hopefully, that, too, will be back to normal. I've been doing lots of my cooking in cast iron and started taking OTC iron supplements. Just what are the side effects from those, Trek420? I haven't experienced any yet, that I know of....... By the end of this month, after having mammogram and bone density tests, I hope to have a totally clean bill of health. Start the biking season out full of energy!

Weather's been sorta crummy here, so haven't been outside as much as I'd like.... :::::keeping fingers crossed for this weekend:::::::: Spinning is starting to become less and less invigorating. Just can't compare to outside, can it?

doctorfrau
03-04-2004, 07:33 AM
Gretchen,

Congrats on your blood labs! That's great. It's good to know that we can all keep chugging along.

I definitely hear you on the "finding a whole new me". That girl that I found hiding-out inside of me is doing all kinds of things that would have terrified me 10 years ago! Every now and then the "old" me still peeks back out and says "You wanna WHAT???!!.... Are you INSANE!!???". So I give her chocolate to shut her up!:D (A good anti-depressant helps too!)

I think I'm gonna test-ride the Sequoia this weekend. I have scraped together about 2/3rds of the money from selling stuff that I don't need, and it is starting to burn a hole in my pocket!! I want to get outside again soooo bad. I want another weekend like last weekend!!!

gretchen
03-04-2004, 07:46 AM
Isn't it great to hear we are all in good health!
I can't believe how we worry about things we often have little control over or don't need to worry about...think of the time and energy we waste! It really bugs me that i do that!

Iron pills annie?....the side effects can be a nautious feeling and constipation...oh what fun. I havn't had any problems either. I'm taking Slow-Fe twice a day and a women's mega vitamin twice a day. I had headaches for the first couple of days taking all this but they seem to be tollerable now....yea!

I just got back from a 15 mile ride...yesterday i did 10 and the day before 10...IT FELT SOOOOOOOO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!
My new bike (Specialized - Aliez) is soooooo awesome. I got a shorter stem put on and what a difference.
OH, anyone looking for a comfy saddle....I just got a Serfas, women's specific....REALLY comfy, nice big cut out and not a really long nose. Nice cushie back seat too. : ))))))))
I'm feel'n good!

Doc - good luck with the test ride...that's so great you are almost ready to purchase!

Get out there everyone and ride...it's not as cold as you think!
really!
gretchen

bikergirl62
03-04-2004, 03:28 PM
I just logged on today for the first time in a while and saw your over 40 question! Too cool. I started riding in my early 20's and became a bike bum. no joke. Dropped out of college and wanted to ride all the time. When I went back to school I put my bike up (25). I became a runner, graduated and became a productive member of society. For my 41st last Oct, my precious husband bought me a Lamond. (he was racing back when I was a bum). I ride with all over 40 girls and we are animals with our very fine tuned arobic capacities and the money to indulge our passion. Go girl!!! This is a great sport for us girls.

gretchen
03-04-2004, 05:47 PM
I'm so happy to see so many over 40's riding bikes!
Bikergirl- I would love to know what great trips a biker bum takes!!!
Let's hear it for the husband that gets a gift that is LOVED/Wanted/ and sentimental...score huge points for your husband!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I have to say, my husband is totally supportive, would never complain about anyting related to bikes and tolerates me refering to my new bike as "slick" and listening to how awesome i think it is!

My dream: to have a women's 40+ bike trip! With women from all over the country...how awesome would that be?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyone else up for something like that?
I"m thinking of a summer ride, maybe covering a state or two (!) and staying in great little B&B's along the way!!!
Am i dreaming alone?
Let me know if you'd be interested. I love to organize and would be happy to plan something.
gretchen

victoria
03-05-2004, 06:42 AM
47 and proud of it...raising hand.

bikergirl62
03-08-2004, 12:19 PM
Gretchen,

Over 40 trip would be great! Some of us over 40 still have little kids (my bum days put me behind) A quick one would be great. I used to do camp and rides through the Ozarks in Arkansas.

bikergirl62
03-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Gretchen,

I just noticed your post relating to your back pain. I had disk surgery five years ago. I was back at work in a week. I am still careful, keep superfit and have had few reaccurances since. I don't know where you are, but interview surgeons and get recommendations from happy customer before you do anything.

gretchen
03-15-2004, 07:22 PM
I was out of town (Puarto Rico) for a week adn feel so out of it. (I would NOT recommend a Carnival Cruze - we got off in PR and stayed off...WAY too many spring breakers!).
I got back on my bike this morning at the LBS on his vertual trainer (anyone tried one...?) and cruzed 20 miles in 49.5 minutes.....feel'n good!
Anyone who has not found a great LBS needs to! I felt so intimidated when i went in for the first time. At 45, just starting to get into biking, i thought for sure they would look at me and think, "what the heck are you doing in here...go get your kids"...but NO! The guy that owns the store is so awesome. He used to race in some country overseas and is now on the advisory board for Specialized. He has the virtual trainer and it's so awesome. It was only my second time on it and i met this great lady to ride with who is also just getting into it. We fly!
I can't wait to ride with the group from the bike shop now.
(I used to be afraid of that too!).

I"m going to start a new thread to see how many people in the "Over 40 set" are interested in a bike ride somewhere in the midwest this summer.....check it out if that sounds good to you!
happy riding!
gretchen
ps.... t.otal j.oy - soon your 25 mile ride will seem like a piece of cake! You'll want to try 30 then 45 then 70 and then 100!!!!

sillypat
03-16-2004, 07:05 PM
i'm almost over 50 and i just recently started riding - my husband is an avid runner and biker. he's been trying to get me on a bike for awhile. he just bought me a new road bike - what a difference from my hybrid! i'm so impressed that i'm actually going to buy some biking shorts and a shirt (gotta have the right equipment).
i'm a little on the chuncky side (hence the big guy's efforts to get me out on the road) and was excited to see plus size apparall.
i can do 20-25 miles fairly well if there aren't a lot of hills. an over 40 ride would be fun.:cool:

gretchen
03-16-2004, 07:20 PM
Sillypat (did i get that right?!)
Way to go!!!
You will get TONS of support here with this group!
Anytime you are feeling down, have questions (even the ones that you think you could never in a millioin years ask) or just need a pep talk...this is the place!
I have learned so much from reading others questions/answers/suggestions, etc.
Tell us about your new baby! Mine sits in the living room !!!!!!! and it's name is "Slick". I LOVE MY BIKE!
Did you find a good seat for it? That will make or break a long ride. I finally found an awesome one.
And, when you start hooking up with other wackos that "Love" their bikes as much as their grown children (!) it really becomes fun.
You mentioned that you are on the larger side?...just keep biking, cut back on some of the carbs, fuel with protien and watch the pounds melt off!
Congratulations on the new stage in your life!
gretchen

IronHorse213
03-17-2004, 09:17 AM
Raising hand! I'm 461/2.

Started riding at 23 and stopped when I moved into NYC at 28. Relized that I was going mad in city partly becuase I couldn't ride (or so I thought), so a year and a half ago I bought a mtn bike, and figured out where I could ride in my neighborhood and feel safe. Now "they" have finished the Greenway path around the edges of Manhattan and I can get there from here!!! Very excited - hope to ride to work most of summer.

Being over 40 is much better than being under 30!

ragbrai40
03-18-2004, 11:10 AM
I'll be 41 next month, have been riding for 10 years, the last three seriously. I piddled around town on my hybrid and did some longer rides with here and there, but it wasn't until I got my road bike that eveything just "clicked!" Ahh, this is what it's supposed to feel like! I'd struggle up hills, walked some (the worse was walking up one on my 40th Bday last year) and then with the road bike, it was like - WOW! And, I owned the hill that kicked my hybrid butt!

So now I am officially addicted and my mid-life crisis from last year has turned into a year-round fitness routine. Go figure! I feel better and look better than I have in years! My husband just checks my wish list at the Team Estrogen website for gift ideas!

Love to bike, live to bike!

Adventure Girl
03-18-2004, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by ragbrai40
I'll be 41 next month, have been riding for 10 years, the last three seriously. I piddled around town on my hybrid and did some longer rides with here and there, but it wasn't until I got my road bike that eveything just "clicked!" Ahh, this is what it's supposed to feel like! I'd struggle up hills, walked some (the worse was walking up one on my 40th Bday last year) and then with the road bike, it was like - WOW! And, I owned the hill that kicked my hybrid butt!

So now I am officially addicted and my mid-life crisis from last year has turned into a year-round fitness routine. Go figure! I feel better and look better than I have in years! My husband just checks my wish list at the Team Estrogen website for gift ideas!

Love to bike, live to bike!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Congratulations!! Your words are very inspiring! I'm not "there" on my road bike... I don't know if I ever will be. But mountain biking is definitely part of my life--I'm addicted, too.

Hi... My name is Adventure Girl. I'm addicted to cycling....:D

annie
03-18-2004, 01:19 PM
Happy Birthday, Gretchen!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D
Hope you have a great one!

grannydea
03-18-2004, 02:38 PM
Happy Birthday Gretchen!!!
Hope your day has been a good and after you do your thing at the LBS go have something that is yummy, indulgent and sinfully good.
Dea

barrb46
03-19-2004, 09:25 AM
I'm over 40. Always rode -- 20-30 miles since my 20s but now I am doing centuries. You only get better as you get older :)
Ok, I will tell me age 51. :D :D

barrb46
03-19-2004, 09:56 AM
I too plan to ride into my 70s!!!!!!!!! The century rides are inspirational seeing the older people riding them! I saw an 80 yr old couple on one -- and we were all at the 80 mile mark!

Adventure Girl
03-19-2004, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by barrb46
The century rides are inspirational seeing the older people riding them! I saw an 80 yr old couple on one -- and we were all at the 80 mile mark!

Did you pass them at 80 miles or did they pass you??:D

wavedancer
03-20-2004, 12:13 PM
I just turned 55 two weeks ago and got my first "real" road bike last year. Didn't do a tremendous amount of riding, but really enjoyed it. I felt a little frustrated because living on Cape Cod, a lot of the cool places to ride are on dirt/sand roads and trails.

So...got myself a mountain bike for Christmas! I've been out a half dozen times this winter and totally love it! I'm not ready for anything too technical, but I have ridden on some fairly rough, steep stuff and plan on taking a mountain bike clinic in June. I decided to go clipless after the first ride (I use them on my road bike) because my feet kept slipping off the pedals. I have had several comical "timberrrrr" moments while attempting to start on rough stuff and losing my forward motion, or unclipping and falling the opposite direction. No serious injuries, just embarrassing moments.

So other than making sure I take my calcium and Actonel for osteoporosis, going for a stress test next week because I told the doc I work with that I was wheezing and feeling nauseous at the end of a long steep climb, I feel GREAT! I think I just need to get myself more aerobically fit before pushing to the max on the hills. Started doing some interval training on the elliptical trainer and will get to a spin class when I can. Maybe just use the club's spinning bikes on my own to boost my aerobic capacity.

This is a great board. I am really enjoying everyone's stories and advice. We're as young as we feel, gals...Let's keep it going!

penster
03-26-2004, 12:09 PM
Hey, I didn't start cycling until I was 49! It's been 10 years now and I have been converted from the slow-poke soccer mom, on my 18 speed mountain bike, to loving the down hills on my Terry Symmetry. I know that I'm not race material, but I really get into doing long rides (30 to 40 milers on the weekends) and have recruited some of my 40+ friends to buy into it too! We all have a great time, share bike lust stories, bike bite stories, and just plain ole bike stories! Life is GOOD.....:p and P.S. I rode with a group in Florida while down there a couple of years ago, and the average age was high 60's - and they do 3x a week 30 to 40 milers - moderate speed, but lots of comradarie. Good time.

cyclingnewbie
03-29-2004, 01:09 PM
I just starting riding last year, and I'm finding that most of the rides that I can do with my cycling club are all groups of older men. I'm forty-something and I keep ending up with a bunch of guys in their 50s & 60s +! I either need to improve my speed and distance capabilities, or get used to being one of the guys.

gretchen
03-30-2004, 06:06 AM
I know you are all sitting on pins and needles (ok, maybe not!) wondering when my back surgery is (dread)....
Let the count down begin...
One week from today.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhh!
I actually had this lady tell me yesterday that two of her friends had it and had terrible results. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Can you imagine telling someone that?!!!! Clueless! Ok, it turns out she was trying to sell me some "Miracle" cure powder stuff.
She's a "distributor" (can you say AMWAY) for it.
I'm on my bike every second i possibly can up to next Tues... when you hear terrible primal screams coming from the Chicago area...it's just me on the next day after surgery when the sun is out and my bike sits in my living room (it's kind of spoiled...but adds an interesting touch to the decor) waiting for the doctor to give me the ok to get back on. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! It could be 4 weeks . AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
All i can say is, this better work! (it's just to releave the presser on a nerve being pinched by a bulging disk...sounds like a fun time to me!).
Ok that's the update!
Happy riding !
gretchen
ps...my iron is going up! yea!!!

cyclingnewbie
03-30-2004, 06:40 AM
Gretchen:

Good luck with the surgery. I hope it solves your problem. And, I am quite confident that it is going to be a cold and rainy April with very little prime riding weather, so you won't be missing much. The weather really won't clear and turn consistently nice for another 4-5 weeks. Yes; that's it. Ugly weather. So bad, your bike will be relieved to be in the living room!

gretchen
03-30-2004, 06:53 AM
:D
thanks!!!!:p :p :p

grannydea
03-30-2004, 07:35 AM
Gretchen, I am interested in hearing how you do after this is all said and done. I have degenerative disks in my back and know that one of these days I am going to have to have something done surgically, but like to have all the imput I can on how people do after they have stuff done to there backs. I will be saying prayers that you recover quickly and can be back on the bike as soon as possable.
Dea

gretchen
04-08-2004, 07:06 AM
Medical Update:!!!
Ok, first off, the iron is a hefty 12.5!!!! Up from 8.4 in just one month!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OH YEAH! Feeling good!!!!
(ok, i guess i was getting a little winded after workouts!).

Surgery: Done!
I had it done on Tuesday...8:30am and was back home fixing dinner at 6:00pm. Ok, i'm not the norm, i tend to want to push recovery, but i'm feeling pretty good! It's Thurs. and i just got back from walking into town to Starbucks for my soy latte (2 miles round trip). I wasn't walking my usual crusing speed but boy is my posture great!!!! (after this surgery, you ONLY want to stand up straight!!!!).

Dea: The dr. said it would be a while before the numbness in my toe would go away, and i have to say that the pinching in my hip is worse, but it's only been two days and i feel pretty swollen still.

From what i understand, they grind (AHHHH) out the bone behind the nerve to relieve the pressure on it from the bulging disk, then he cleaned out another disk that was "spongie"! (AHHH). He said my disks were pretty "old" looking BUT!...i have no fat and have really thick ligaments (both good things!!!)....which will help me in the long run!

Ok, time to stand again...sitting starts to hurt after a while!
thanks for your prayers!!!!
gretchen

kelrunran
04-08-2004, 10:54 AM
Glad to hear you are on the mend Gretchen! Keep taking good care.

Can hardly wait to be able to chime in on this conversation in October....i'll be 40! Did I say "can hardly wait"?:D

One thing about being active and aging....I move into a whole new age group:p !.........and post on this link!!!

Kelly

SadieKate
04-09-2004, 12:46 PM
44 going on 24! And, I own more bikes than my hubby (he is soooo jealous!)

Been road biking since age 25 and mountain biking since before clipless pedals, suspension, etc. I was actually talking to a bike shop employee the other day who thought he knew everything about clipless pedals. I finally told him that know only did he not know what he was talking about but I had been using clipless pedals longer than he had been alive.

And, the best part? Our regular group spans 4 decades!

Tamra
04-14-2004, 02:21 PM
I'm 39 & holding, at least for a few more months. I think my local cyling club member base is comprised mostly of the over 40 crowd - they seem to have a lot of weekday rides during normal working hours. I'd love to join in on some of their weekend rides, even though my average speed is less than their advertised group average. I'm gonna feel bad If I get dropped by a group of "seniors".

SadieKate
04-14-2004, 02:30 PM
Hey, you haven't experienced nothing until you've had a couple of guys in their 70s look back just as you're catching up, grin evilly, and up their speed. Never caught them until the coffee shop at the end of the ride and I can motor along pretty well. We have some incredibly strong and fast older riders around here. They give "active senior" a new meaning. So, don't wait. You'll never catch them if you don't try!

cyclingnewbie
04-14-2004, 05:02 PM
Yippee Yahoo! I'm not the only one out there worrying about the "older" riders in my bike club. The only organized rides that I think I can keep up with look like they are mostly men in their 50s-70s. And I'm not sure I could keep up with them for the distances they ride. I have been too intimidated by the whole thing to join in. I'm glad I'm not the only one worried about this!

gretchen
04-14-2004, 07:27 PM
I'm signed up for this west coast ride this summer with my daughter Katherine (she's the M fo Blue posting you see!)...about 800 miles over two weeks. I have been a wreck worrying about being the oldest one on the ride being left in the dust!...
Not anymore!
A nun (!)...63 years young just signed up! YEA! I'm not the oldest anymore! I'm so excited now! What a great diversity our group will have. (watch her blow me out of the water!!! great!).
Is that great or what?!!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

gretchen
04-21-2004, 01:06 PM
Ok Girls...it's time for the two week update on the old back surgery!
I'm back on my bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
YIPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!
Ok, not outside yet, but the dr. said i could get back on the trainer. The forcast for the next week is crummie anyway (YEA) so i couldn't be out there anyway, right?!!! :rolleyes:
Grannydea: If you're still reading this posting sight...
If you have to face surgery in the future sometime, it's a snap! I feel about 97% and like i said, it's been two weeks and a day. (still a ever so slight twinge by my incession when i move a certain way). As i understand, those stomach muscles are SOOO important for those of us with crummy spines, so do those crunches!

:D

grannydea
05-02-2004, 04:40 PM
Gretchen glad to hear you are back at it. I have been gone for a bit because of some personal stuff (mom passed on, and had to deal with ***** sister opps did I say that) but its good to read you are doing so good. Thanks for the information. I have been off the bike for three weeks and can tell it both with my back and my mind. But back home and back at it tomorrow. Thank god.
Dea

ACG
05-14-2004, 08:52 AM
I'm 42. Used to ride when I was around 25-26, bike got stolen. Had another baby. Between work/kids/my school, I stopped. Didn't ride until about 2 years ago. Have recently realized that when I ride, life is better. I feel better in mind, spirit and physically. I thrive. When I can't ride, I'm like a drug addict looking for my next fix. I hope I can be like so many of you and ride into my 50's, 60's. etc. My family thinks I'm nuts. I am and am proud of it.:D

kpc
05-14-2004, 12:09 PM
Yes, my family and coworkers believe that I'm weird too. I can see "why would you ride when you have a car" in their eyes. They have NO idea what they are missing. But that's cool. They go on about their TV shows or shopping and I don't get it. Like you, I think more happiness is good. Must get out or I will burst.

gretchen
05-14-2004, 12:58 PM
WOw, week 5 I think since my back surgery...actually , i lost track which is a good sign!
I'm back on my bike outside (although my surgeon thinks i'm insane and thinks i should never ride a bike again probably).
OH My gosh does it feel sooooo good. I did 30 a week ago, three days of 20's and tomorrow i'll go for a 40+ if i can find enough roads that don't end up on supper highways!
"Oh to ride...along side...where the cows roam free"

That feeling we get?...I have always gotten a "high" from excercise. (my husband, just gets wiped out...how sad not to know that feeling!) There's an added bonus of feeling speed under you, feeling wind, and that ever so slight warped thrill of knowing that any moment you could be one with the pavement. AHHH...OUCH!
Definately something to Darwins' theroy ...for every action there's an equal yet opposite reaction. Wait, is that Darwin? or Newton? or Einstein?
Never could keep those guys straight!!!!
Instant results from your effort. And the more effort...the more wind!
Happy riding! and LOTS of wind in your face!!!
: ) gretchen:D :cool:

kimba
05-15-2004, 03:56 PM
Add me to the list!
48 and apparently still flyin'

Kimba
lovely yellow shiner today- and a big ol' racing stripe bruise...

JanT
05-16-2004, 05:26 PM
I'll be 52 in a few weeks. About 7 years ago I stopped running half-marathons when cancer treatment rendered me uncompetitive. For several years I tried to come back, but eventually realized it probably wasn't going to happen. I began mountain biking so I could continue to play outdoors. Now I compete against the trail rather than the stopwatch. It's my main passion, but this year I began commuting by bike to work and developed a love for the road. As of yesterday, I own a road bike as well, and intend to give it a good work out this summer. At any rate, I am in better physical condition than the women I work with who are half my age. They may be thinner, but I am stronger and healthier.

massbikebabe
05-17-2004, 05:13 AM
41 and never been better...

started riding when I met my husband some 25 years ago. I hate to say "stopped", so I'll say "Paused" from riding to have 2 kids, a bachelors degree and then a masters degree. Now that the kids are older my husband and I are riding again. Today being our 19th anniversary and next Monday being his birthday
so I am going out today to get him a carbon crank for his beloved
Colnago.

karen

Biking Chick
05-17-2004, 07:25 AM
Add me to the growing list of women over 40 who love to bike ...

I'll celebrate my 51st birthday this coming October and my fourth year of rediscovering the joys of biking this past spring.

Trek420
05-17-2004, 08:48 AM
"Today being our 19th anniversary and next Monday being his birthdayso I am going out today to get him a carbon crank for his beloved Colnago."

what a lucky guy! Diamonds may be a girls best friend but carbon cranks would be my favorite gift ;-)

kelrunran
05-17-2004, 10:47 AM
I'm taking Friday off (from work) to spend with my hubby for our 19th wedding anniversary also! The kids will be in school so we're looking forward to an 80 mile ride.....out in the country - what else would we be doing :D

Oh and for a present (for me) - whole new biking outfit....shorts, jersery......socks! Maybe even a new bike bag!

For him......don't know yet........

massbikebabe
05-17-2004, 11:01 AM
Kelly:

Sounds like the perfect way to spend your anniversary, and with the perfect gifts also!! We usually take our bikes and head to the south coast of Maine, but this year we had too many commitments going with the kids...maybe in the fall we will have time to celebrate...hopefully!!

karen

emily_in_nc
05-18-2004, 07:59 AM
Interesting that so many of us are celebrating a 19th anniversary right around now - hubby and I celebrate ours on May 25! We've been cycling on and off for most of those years and more "on" now than ever.... :)

Happy anniversary to the others!

Emily

Veronica
05-18-2004, 08:02 AM
Our 18th anniversary is June 13. We'll be back in Hawaii on the big Island.

V.

Adventure Girl
05-18-2004, 08:12 AM
Our 17th is June 6th. And we're still cra~zy in love!:D Aren't we all too young to have been married so long??:eek:

Veronica
05-18-2004, 08:50 AM
We were babies when we got married, 3 years old. :p

How much will you give me for that bridge?

V.

Irulan
05-18-2004, 09:07 AM
as you all know, we had our 20th in Mexico. It really ought to be 24 if you count the years we lived together!! I feel young too for that many years.

Our trip was really special to us. A few years ago the **** really hit the fan, and instead of bailing we both did some really hard work. We came through it more in love, and more emotionally healthy that we had ever been before.

It was a wonder to wake up every day in Mexico filled with so much love and joy and peace to know we did the right thing.

in between dives:

http://www.cet.com/~pennys/images/mxbike/IMG_1207.jpg

Trek420
05-18-2004, 09:22 AM
Hi gals, I don't think I've ever specified my age...48 and counting, still riding. I rediscovered cycling when my partner (now ex) signed up for the AIDS ride. She's gone, and stopped cycling to boot or so I hear, but I love the sport, just got a new bike! Also I'm doing the california AIDS lifecyle this year, not bad for the shady side of 40.

Dita

bentforlife
05-18-2004, 12:25 PM
Here's another hand for the 40+ group. And my husband and I will be celebrating our 23rd anniversary this June. I think we will be headed to South Dakota, Mt. Rushmore, Custer's battlegrounds, etc. on our anniversary. There are supposed to be some spectacular fireworks planned this year at Mt. Rushmore, something about the 50th year as a national park.(?)

Since we are renting a pop up tent trailer I don't think I can take my bike(you know, the 6 foot recumbent) but plan to do plenty of walking and hiking. Our 14 year old is very excited. We may stop at Yellowstone as well.

To the teachers among us, just a few more days and we are free!! :cool:

Donna

Veronica
05-18-2004, 12:34 PM
When's your last day? Mine is next Friday - May 28! We're going to take a trip to the Big Island in the middle of June with Thom's folks. A few days after we get back I'm driving to Jackson to do a tour of the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone with akaKim. I think I'm more excited about the 2nd trip. Thom and I are planning on doing some weekend camping trips to do some mountain biking over on the coast in July and August.

This will be my first summer off in a long time. I've been at a school that has been year round and will be converting to a traditional schedule this year. So I have a huge break. Thom worries I'll go stir crazy with so much time.

V.

gretchen
05-18-2004, 12:52 PM
Trek420...tell me about the AIDS ride...
I'm doing the BikeAid Ride but it has nothing to do with Aids. It's down the west coast. What's yours? and When?

I would love to set my sights on next summer so i'll stay motivated over the next year. (listen to me...i should prob. give this summer a chance first, huh!!!?). My dad died of AIDS (bad blood transfussion )and i would love to do something in his memory.

Don't you just love hearing about everyone's adventures, stories, etc...
We are a great group i think! :D

bentforlife
05-19-2004, 07:44 AM
Veronica,

Our last day is also on May 28th. I worked last summer but just could not finish up all my projects I had planned to do. So I plan to finish them this summer. With an aging house I can always find something to work on. I'm going to finish painting the kitchen cabinet doors(that one has been ongoing for a while), tile the kitchen back splash, and tile the laundry room floor. The outside of my house really needs a coat of paint but that will have to wait. Besides, I'm not willing to get out in the TX sun to paint. May have to hire someone to do this in the fall.

Right now we are planning to go up to Mt. Rushmore and area at the end of June, first of July. Until then My 14 yo daughter has 2 different orchestra and band camps and several percussion clinics. She just made the cymbal line at the high school, not many incoming freshmen make that.

We have to be back at school August 9th and the kids start back Aug. 16th. Summer is just too short.

I understand about the stir crazy thing but if you look around, I'll bet you can find enough projects to keep yourself busy.

Good luck and Happy summer!! :cool:

Donna

PS. Do you have a sailboat? We have a 26 foot Mcgregor about a 1986 model. My husband, Larry, teaches and races on the lakes around here.

Veronica
05-19-2004, 07:58 AM
We have a little cat rigged boat that we take out on the Delta. We used to charter boats to sail in SF bay, but when we started volunteering at the Maritime park we ran out of time to do everything. Of course then I really got bit by the biking bug...

I hear you about the heat. Our summers are generally in the 90s. Too hot for a lot of outside work. Not too hot to ride though!

We start back a bit later then you. The kids start Aug. 30. We'll go later next year. A couple of weeks into June.

V.

fultzie
05-19-2004, 02:18 PM
There's an annual AIDS ride in Illinois too... last year it was a 3-day ride in Starved Rock Nat'l Park, this year it's around Chicago (i think they're actually riding in the city, but i could be wrong... kinda like the AIDSWalk Chicago.)
the website is AIDS Ride Chicago (http://www.aidsridechicago.org)
I checked it out, but couldn't find info on the route... i can't imagine where it'd be downtown to satisfy "all skill levels" (ie. hills)... if i remember, last time i was in Chicago (last month) it was still pretty flat! ;) :p

Roadrunner
08-16-2004, 03:18 AM
I'm just wondering how many of you are the "over 40" crowd?

I'm 46 and I've just started cycling recently. I'm loving it. I did twenty miles on Friday and Sunday. I thought it might feel achy but no I feel great. The only problem todfay is tat it's pouring rain and I want to get out on my bike:(

spazzdog
08-16-2004, 05:49 AM
48... I'll be 49 in Oct.

Working on getting fitness back after 4 yrs as a couch potoato. Goal is to start racing in 2006... yeah, I know. I'll be closing in on 51 in 2006.

gretchen
08-16-2004, 05:58 AM
Hey Everyone!
Wow, has it been a long time since i was last on ...about a month maybe?
I'm back from my west coast ride! WHAT A RIDE!!! We rode for 9 days....from San Francisco to Tijuana...about 700 miles.
One of the days, the longest was 112 miles into Los Angeles then another at 98 and the next longest was 84...the last day. THe 60 and 70 mile days seems like a breeze after that! What an adventure it was. And no pain..some exhaustion but no pain. And for anyone in the mid west?...there are no hills here that prepare you for the mountains of the west! WOW are they long...one was 3.8 miles long! OH MY GOSH!
Today i have my bike back together (I had to ship it) and it's ready for my old training route. I can't wait to see how it feels after climbing mountains!
I'm so glad it did the ride and look forward to my next challenge...yet to be determind!
gretchen

gretchen
08-16-2004, 06:01 AM
ps...Margaret...
I too am 46..and aside from the little twinges here and there, have never been in this good of shape in my life. I love it!
gretchen

Barb
08-16-2004, 06:21 AM
Gretchen WOW!!!! I know whast you mean by no hills. I have to actively search out hills in SE MI. I am so afraid that my first centry will be all hills and I won't be prepared. I picked one in October. People say no hills but VERY windy. Oh well, I turn 41 in October and REALLY want my first century before then!

gretchen
08-16-2004, 06:52 AM
Hi Barb!
Hills and wind...my two enemies! But i have learned to face them and try and not let them beat me. :D (they make you strong...isn't that true about anything tough in life!?)
I think we might have talked before? I have the cottage on Glen Lake (near Traverse City)? I had a call out to anyone in that area to ride while i'm up there.
I"ll be up again over Labor Day weekend. Sounds like you are near AA? My daughter goes to U of M. We are HUGE MI fans. We love your state! (in fact we plan on moving up north in two years! :D :D :D
If you're up in that area ever...let me know.
You'll do fine with the century. If i can do 700 miles...
just think steady. Once you do one...the sky's the limit!
gretchen

Roadrunner
08-16-2004, 11:39 AM
As I said earlier I'm 46 (47 in December)
We've been married 27 years/28 come December this year.
Gerry thought it would be romantic to get married on the Saturday two days after my 19th birthday(his is on the 7th, mine the 9th and of course the anniversay on the 11th). My daughter has just turned 26 and my two sons will be 24 and and 21 this year.:eek: Where does the time go?

Pedal Wench
08-18-2004, 10:16 AM
Turned 42 last Friday, and celebrated with a new bike! BF celebrated with a matching helmet and new jerseys! Birthdays are fun!

stacy
08-18-2004, 08:36 PM
Just started in May I turned four-five in June. Loving every turn of the pedal.

veekcee
08-25-2004, 11:37 AM
My husband and I will be 47 later this year and we just started mountain biking a few weeks ago. We are having such a blast!!!It is so cool to have found an activity that I actually enjoy and look forward to doing! It has inspired me to pick up those weights and workout. We will be taking a mountain biking skills class offered monthly by CORBA here in Socal.

I only wish I could ride more than just the weekends.....;)

Vickie

gretchen
08-25-2004, 02:10 PM
I'm so happy to see other 40+'ers out there! I started in January ...or at least the training part. ( For those of you new to this sight...I'm just filling you in...to the rest...I know, you've heard this already!). I went through back surgery in March, then finally got to ride my new road bike in May...what a ride! Put 1100
In July, my daughter and I did a 700 mile ride down the west coast (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!). I got back on my hybred just the beginning of this week to ride with my son and daughter down the bike trail...OH MY GOSH! is it fun now (now that i have strength in my legs!). I switch back and forth between "serious" biking on my road bike , and riding "fluffy" my hybred...(also highly recommended). My next adventure is in France in a few weeks with my husband (he's not converting so easily and def. not finding the enjoyment in it like i do...darn). It's a bike/barge trip...anyone done that yet?
Anyway...to all you awesome 40+er's...WAY TO GO!!!!!!
I'm in better shape now then ever in my life! Doesn't it feel sooooo great to ride a bike!!!!!!!!!!!!!
: ) gretchen

fasteryet
08-26-2004, 07:18 PM
I had the most wonderful experience today at my LBS - met a 76 year old woman. She was just amazing. Road as a girl, then stopped. Started back up again at age 48. Has ridden well over 100K miles since. She's gone across the US several times, plus to all sorts of foreign countries. She was buying a new bike, because her twenty year old one fell of her car. She lookes great, and was sharp as a tack. Makes me very hopeful for my next 26 years.

ladyb
08-27-2004, 07:16 AM
Hi everyone,
I just got my bike 7 weeks ago today, and I already have a new obsession. I used to love to ride when I was growing up, but haven't in years and years. I was looking for something fun in the way of exercise my husband and I could do together after we retire next February. As you have probably figured out, I'm in my mid 50's.
Have found a bike association in my home town that is just getting started and have been on a couple of rides with them.

I have also been reading the discussions on this website for about 3 weeks and just love it. Have gotten sooooo many helpful hints and tips. Am always telling my husband about the latest tidbit from this site, so thank you everyone for sharing.

Ladyb

slinkedog
08-30-2004, 07:05 PM
I'm 37, so not quite there but getting close. I can't believe I decided to take up a new sport at 37. I guess I figured I might have some time for me now that we're done having babies.

maryellen
08-31-2004, 05:31 AM
hey, I took up cycling at 45, you young'un . . .

Biking Chick
08-31-2004, 05:36 PM
It's nice to see other women over the age of 50 getting out on their bikes ... and even better still, getting out with husbands, BF or special friend's :D

My husband and I have been biking together for over 4 years and I have to say he is my favorite biking buddy. Our kids give us a hard time about all the bikes and 'gear' that we've accumulated but they are proud of the fact that we are active and involved in the silent sports. While they can set a tough pace off road they know that when it comes to riding road bikes ... Mom & Dad kick their butts.

Cindy
Ride Like A Girl!

biknjen
08-31-2004, 08:38 PM
I'm 57, road biked (never raced) in my thirties and forties. Got hurt at work and turned 50 and thought I was too old to ride a bike. Imagine that!! I just bought a new bike, already have 100+ miles on it, closer and closer to going clipless and trying not to kick myself for ever stopping. I'm looking forward to many many great rides with my guy. He took the bait and bought a new bike, too.

VenusdeVelo
09-21-2004, 06:53 AM
4 months to go til I am 43, starting cycling about 10 years ago, did not get serious though til about 5 years ago...started teaching spinning 2 years ago...once you hit 40 you seem to get your priorities a little bit more in line and do things for YOU....

CorsairMac
09-23-2004, 09:07 AM
I've ridden for so long now hun - I was pleasantly surprised when I got my last bike to find all these women specific things - coz they sure didn't have them when I started riding! I'm 45....will be 46 this year and Loving these years of my life! I'm so excited for you and your new "endeavor"!! Keep riding and enjoy! There ain't Nothing like seeing the world on the back of a bike!

BendRider
09-26-2004, 06:12 PM
Let's see...I am now 46 and will be 47 in July.

Used to bike everywhere (principal mode of transportation) on my 10-speed eons (and more eons) ago. Quit riding for many years. Got into mountain biking a few years ago as Bend has lots of trails and single-tracks. I'm now in the process of getting a cyclocross so I can do it all. Am hoping to get into touring as well some day (if I EVER get time away from work long enough). There's a bike club in Bend I am checking into.

Not only do I like biking, it also keeps my legs in shape for winter for alpine skiing as I coach Special Olympics Alpine. Don't think that some of those athletes aren't FAST. I had to buy a ski helmet this past winter as I was afraid I was going to get killed flying down that mountain keeping up with one of the athletes!

Bike2Work4Me
09-27-2004, 06:48 AM
I decided a few years ago that I would ride Cycle Oregon the year I turned 40. When I turned 39 I was 250 lb and totally out of shape. I turned 40 in July, and I'm happy to say that I just completed Cycle Oregon - just under 400 miles in 7 days. I may not have ended up totally skinny in my training for the ride, but I'm happy to say I'm in much better shape than I've ever been in my life. Now I have a whole year to work on getting skinny before I ride it again next September. I've posted my pictures of the ride, if anyone wants to see
http://homepage.mac.com/gstahmer/PhotoAlbum4.html

slinkedog
09-27-2004, 08:43 AM
Congratulations and GOOD FOR YOU! Wow! I don't think I could ever do a ride like that. Did they have SAG support and all that? Maybe I could do a ride like that if I could sag every day. ;)

You should be very proud of yourself! That's a great accomplishment!

Bike2Work4Me
09-27-2004, 09:42 AM
They had wonderful support and it was nice knowing that if I really needed it - it was there. We had rest stops/water stops every 10 miles or so. They were great with the signage too. They put up signs that said next rest stop 5 mi, 3 mi, 1 mi. You can always go 10 more miles. We found that riding rest stop to rest stop was a lot easier mentally than looking at the total distance. An 88 mile day broke up into about 7 rest stops and a drive for "home". We camped in a different spot just about every night.

Adventure Girl
09-27-2004, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Bike2Work4Me
I've posted my pictures of the ride, if anyone wants to seeNice pictures! Nice Project One. Congratulations.:p

Trek420
09-27-2004, 02:18 PM
ooh, bike Oregon looks so purty, i wanna go 8-)

Good job doing the ride.

guenevere
09-27-2004, 03:13 PM
Count me in, at 42. I'm a 'returning' rider after lazing out for a few years and rapidly gaining more weight like there's no tomorrow (my gawd... is this what turning 40 is about???) --to total 40 pounds now that I have to shed. I'm riding to lose it, without dieting, and I'm determined to make a comeback, and with a vengience! I have a dream to bike commute from my mountain home, and it's tough to get use to it, but I'm getting psyched up. It's a 10 mile ride and 2100 foot climb from town--yikes, but I did it once before, so I know the ropes... it's just so dang hard to commit. That's the reason I showed up here.

~guen

doc
09-28-2004, 05:54 PM
Well, I turn 40 in January. Does that count? I took up riding 2 months ago and I LOVE it. I've done 1 metric century so far and am going for my second this weekend. Age just doesn't mean a thing. Never say never, and never say too late.

kimberly
10-03-2004, 05:30 PM
Hi ladies, I'm a new rider (4 months now) and 49 in a month. Wish I had started sooner but now is better than never. I love riding! My goal is to ride 100 miles per week which is do-able most of the time (weather cooperating). I'd like to ride a "century " by spring. I have a hibred Trek but Santa is bringing a road bike this year (I've been very good!) I am healthier and more motivated now than 20 years ago. Age has it's benefits, although I wonder when and if I will ever be able to ride without knee pain at some point. When my husband asks what I'm "training" for I just remind him "for the second half of my life". Kim- Raleigh N.C.

maryellen
10-04-2004, 07:15 AM
hi kimberly, it's definitely doable. I started riding in late june of 2003 and did my first century in august 2004 on my trek hybrid. Could probably have done it earlier but I rode only once between September and March. Keep riding.

PS are you getting the knee pain checked out? Watch your gearing. No extra credit for not using granny gear if you need it!

Rhonda
10-04-2004, 01:27 PM
You are definately not alone, I am 42 and have only been riding for about 3 months. My husband has been riding a road bike for a little over a year now and I am just now starting to work up my distance, the most I've done is 30 miles. Just went on my first organized ride this past weekend and it was great, a huge sense of accomplishment when I was done.

rosie99
10-16-2004, 05:05 PM
Hi
I've just started cycling again after 25 years. I'm 43 now and need to get back in shape. I have a weight problem and I think it is time to deal with it. I just love to cycle. I am definitely a newbie. Currently riding my daughter's Specialized Hardrock Sport but looking to buy myself a new one next spring. I'm considering either a hybrid or a road bike, but am leaning toward the road bike. Not alot of places to ride but still enough to keep me busy. Thanks for letting me check in.

maryellen
10-17-2004, 01:20 PM
hey rosie, if you're leaning towards a road bike, go for it. I got a hybrid -- my first bike -- last year and soon realized I really needed a road bike! If desirable, you can go for wider tires.

Trek420
10-17-2004, 03:19 PM
looks like we need to start a new thread soon, "over 50 show of hands" ;-) that'll be me in a year n' a quarter

rosie99
10-17-2004, 03:57 PM
Thanks MaryEllen for the advice, I think I will look more seriously into road bikes. They just seem to get me excited about riding! Reminds me of my teenage years riding my 10 speed everywhere. Anyway, wish me luck in my search for something suitable!

syklnsoph
10-17-2004, 10:30 PM
Hey Grrls!
Sophie here... in (now wet Fresno, CA). turned 52 this year (feel like i'm the old lady here) and have been riding for 5 years. the Mr. and i ride sometimes together, sometimes alone. but with retirement brought added mileage and now we both do around 100mi/wk. i know i could do more, but have other responsibilities to share me with.
love the bike, love to cycle, love the quiet times on the back roads, love big hills, (both up and down) love the way you can sweat and use lots of energy, and keep coming back for more!
income tax will bring new road bike for me! have been drooling through the catalogs, and bike stores.
soph

CorsairMac
10-18-2004, 01:53 PM
Hi - my name is Kathie and I'm 45 - 46 in 2 months! I've been riding on and off since I was 5 - sometimes more seriously than others. My second husband divorced me 6 yrs ago and I moved allllll the way across the US from Indiana to New Mexico by way of Arizona. During my journey I discovered who I Really was as a person and am trying to decide if I ever want to get married again?.........or even have a partner?? :p My office moved the first of June right next to a bike trail that has its head about 1 mile from my house so I bought a Trek Commuter bike and I now ride to work every day I can - 6 miles each way: coming down the mountain in the morning, going up the mountain at night. I Love my Trek but am now lusting for a road bike. I Want More Speed!! I found this forum in Sept and you gals - ALL of you - psych me so much. I want to ride a centuary and join a club and buy fast bikes and ride races and and and and..........

spazzdog
10-19-2004, 02:53 PM
turned 49 last week... haven't died yet :D

weather here is horrible and the kitchen remodel just went from the addition to actually tearing out the old kitchen... what a mess! Banging and drilling and flying debris!

Thankfully my builder is the tidiest man in the universe and when he leaves for the day everything is spic & span.

rain forcast for most of the week... and cold. New England - YUCK!

mfh1399
10-19-2004, 06:04 PM
I started riding 2003, on a road bike. I was preparing for the pennsylvania senior games ( for anyone over 50) when in june I was run off the road and hit a pothole and fell, seperated my shoulder, so of course the july senior games were out.

well this year i started in march and qualified for 10k and 20k for the senior olympic games in pittsburgh. my point is when i went to the senior games (held in ever state) i couldn;t believe what an insipration it was to see all those seniors out there doing there sport. swimming track and field etc. I was amazed ,and in the cycling, well there serious about that too. It was a lot of fun and the people are so great and friendly. there is life after 50 in the sporting world.

I love to bycyle and entered 4 races this year. some times iam the only one in the 60-65 age group, but thats okay, because everyone cheers you on, guys in there 20-30years. say to you ,
keep going your doing great etc. so much fun , lots of hard work but i just love biking.

trekin'
10-20-2004, 11:46 AM
I'm 49, and am just starting to get into biking seriously. I just picked up my new Trek 1500 WSD and love it! I spent a good part of my first ride pedaling into a stiff wind, which would have exhausted me on my old Schwinn Sierra.

I thought it would take me awhile to get used to a road bike, but I had no trouble at all, except when I almost ran into my own car in the driveway, because the steering is so sensitive. My usual 10 mile bike ride went so fast, a stop at the LBS for some adjustments added only 9 minutes to my usual ride time. My time to ride is usually limited to one hour a day during the week, but now I'll have to lengthen the route!

I did a lot of research prior to purchasing my Trek, and I learned alot from reading this forum. Thank you to all of you who so generously share your knowledge, wisdom, and experience...my learning curve will be alot smaller because of you!

CorsairMac
10-20-2004, 01:51 PM
Welcome to the board and oooo aahhhh on the Trek 1500. I have the Trek Navigator 200 and its sweet for tooling back N forth to work - but it just ain't fast enough! Drooling N dreaming over the Rivendells right now! Anyway - welcome and enjoy!

trekin'
10-20-2004, 04:32 PM
Thank you for the welcome, CorsairMac. Although I had briefly tried my friend's Trek 2000 and thought it OK, I had planned to do alot of shopping around to find just the right bike for me, but as it is with most things (I'm 5'1"), no one had a bike in stock that was small enough for me to try. The owner of the LBS in my town clearly has a passion for biking and treated me like an equal, so, after alot of internet research and looking at Cannondale, Fuji and Trek, I decided I wanted to try the Trek 1500. He special ordered the 43cm, and he told me it would be no problem if I didn't like it (unlike some other shops). I liked it when I road tested it, but was very cautious and kind of nervous since I wasn't used to the bike (and didn't own it yet...didn't want to bring it back in 2 pieces and say, "sorry, this one's not for me!"). Today, however, was a different story...I felt like I had moved from a pick-up truck to a Porsche! Even the saddle it came with feels good! I've got a busy day tomorrow, but, somehow, I will find time for a ride!

wawaski
10-21-2004, 12:52 AM
Yeah,
about 10 years ago!
S.

repto
10-21-2004, 09:31 AM
Hey all,

I'm over 40--and generally loving life. Age is relative, right?

I still am highly encumbered by small children when riding, but we ride a LOT together as a family. I use a duo-trailer and we have a trailer-cycle (tagalong) thingie too. We are contemplating on buying a Bike Friday convertible triple bike so that we can more easily be a bike train. Are we nuts?!

Jane

echidna
11-03-2004, 08:57 PM
Another "over-40" checking in....born in 1963 so I'm in the club - but barely. Got 2 kids in high school. Mileage is suffering right now until marching band season is over....

MomOnBike
11-04-2004, 08:20 AM
I'm looking really hard at 50 now, except I really don't feel that ancient. I keep wondering how it happened. I could swear I was 17 just yesterday... :confused:

Kids marching. Yep, know all about that. All Saturdays in Oct. are accounted for by marching contests. I found myself on a lovely fall day manning a consession stand instead of riding my bike - and NOT minding. Weird.

Kids generally: Younger Daughter messed up the front of our car last night. We are now down to .5 cars. (I count a car in the shop as .5 car.) Dad commutes on his bike, and I run errands on mine, so it's not a big deal (ignoring the $$$ to fix the car). Having YD take over the car has done wonders for my mileage. And hauling cat food and milk home up that hill just has to be good for me, Right?

bentforlife
11-04-2004, 10:29 AM
Actually getting closer to 50.:eek: But it's been good years!! Now I'm just more determined to take care of myself, so I can enjoy being a grandma one of these days, if that ever happens!! My 21 yo is too busy trying to get her education and 14yo...let's not go there.

I sure understand about band competitions. The last football game is tomorrow night,woohoo!! No more marching until the Aldophus Children's Christmas Parade in Dallas. Our band will be one of the lead-off bands. Look for Boswell High School from Saginaw, TX(ok, shameless school promotion). Anyway, my daughter plays cymbals and is a "ahem" percussionist.;)

The bike is up on the trainer right now, but with the rain stopping I'll probably take it back down. BTW, I think I decided to name the big recumbent, Stretch. Corny enough to fit(pun intended), and Texas sounding too!

Concretecutie
11-08-2004, 04:06 PM
Hi, Everyone:
Sure is nice to see that there are quite a few of us out there living life to the fullest from the seat of a bike.

I'm 57 and I started riding 7 or 8 yrs. ago to lose weight. I was successful at that endeavor--a pound a week for a year. Was written up in Prevention magazine, Win the Sugar Wars book by Rodale and a Boardroom magaine. So I've been devout ever since. Even used to work at Bicycling Magazine and had the opportunity to ride at lunch with co-workers.

Started track cycling this year and plan to train for the PA/NJ State Games this coming Aug. at the Lehigh Valley Velodrome.
Working on getting my trainer & coach, now. Also became a League of American Bicyclists Cycling Instructor last year and have been teaching people in our age bracket that are just getting started riding. If any of you are concerned about riding in the street or on the roads, contact your local LCI (League Cycling Instructor) for Road I classes in your area. You can find cycling instructors by going to www.bikeleague.org and then to the BikEd section and then to the instructors by state.

One of the things I saw some discussion about is having trouble finding bikes that fit? If you ever have pain while riding or seem to accummulate pain while riding, have your fit checked at a bike shop. If the problem continues, have a bio-mechanical fit.
It takes all your flexibility, injuries, age, weight, etc. into consideration when being fit for a bike.

I had a Trek 2000 road bike for several years and did a full century on it as well as all the training rides leading up to it and as time passed, I noticed pain at the base of my neck between my shoulders getting worse and worse. I worked on relaxing my shoulders and consiously pushing my shoulders down and nothing worked. I finally met a mechanic from Serrotta that gave me a fit check on my Trek and we discovered that the top tube was too long for my torso and the stem was already the shortest available. So I began my search for a custom built bike. Not one customized for me; but one designed and built just for me.

I have to tell you that my Serrotta is just the ticket. No more pain, well aside from the one in the butt that ya get after several hrs. in the saddle. It fits like a comfortable pair of shoes and I never knew cycling was supposed to feel this good.

This is not meant to make you feel that you need to have a custom built bike to be a cyclist, just if you ever have trouble and just can't figure out why. Start with the bike fit check up and go from there. Be sure to find a shop that does bio-mechanical fits because those quick fits that some shops do aren't always adequate to give you a comfortable ride.

bikerchic
12-23-2004, 08:18 PM
That's me 52 and counting, well when you consider the alternative counting ain't so bad. I'll be 53 in February and I started cycling at the ripe old age of 46. Nothing hard core like mountain biking I'm a roadie and like to do endurance rides like century rides.

Who am I kidding right now I would like to endure a 10 miler......awhhh shame on me, but I'll be back in the saddle and strong as ever this coming year it's a promise I've made to myself.

Howdy all,

Kate

Dogmama
12-24-2004, 03:21 AM
Originally posted by Concretecutie
I have to tell you that my Serrotta is just the ticket. No more pain, well aside from the one in the butt that ya get after several hrs. in the saddle. It fits like a comfortable pair of shoes and I never knew cycling was supposed to feel this good.

HOW FUNNY! That is EXACTLY what I thought the first time I road my Gilmour (custom bike) - "This feels like a comfortable pair of shoes." I would also add that bike handling became second nature also.

Dottie
12-24-2004, 06:11 AM
I turned 50 on Nov. 2. Only been cycling for just over 3 years and sure do love it. It has given me a love for all kinds of fitness. I am in an aerobics class on Monday nights, have my own little gym in the basement of inexpensive used equipment that I have picked up little by little. I set it up in a 1/2 circuit in front of a tv and CD/ Radio player. I walk every morning before work. I also lift weights. I guess seeing my body toned and the compliments I get (mainly from my husband and adult children) have inspired me too. They say I look better now than I ever have!! My oldest son who is 28 tells everyone his mom is a jock! I think he is proud of me.
We have flat lands around here so I am envious of you all that have hills to ride! I have a hard time cycling against wind though.
Gretchen-I love yellow labs. We had one once. they are the best, loving, smartest dogs!!

DeniseGoldberg
12-24-2004, 09:52 AM
I'm over 50 (OK, I'm 52!) - can I play too?

I celebrated my 50th birthday with a solo bike tour across the USA (http://denise2002xc.crazyguyonabike.com), and while that was my longest tour to date, it wasn't my last. I'm convinced that biking helps keep me young, and I'm looking forward to continuing this passion for many years to come!

jobob
12-24-2004, 09:56 AM
Kate !! Nice to hear from you, I was wondering what became of you. Welcome back ! Now don't be a stranger, y'hear? You and snapdragen can 'encourage' each other to get out riding again :D

- Jo.

neuroticcyclist
12-25-2004, 09:55 AM
Over 40s rule! There are a LOT of us out there!

repto
12-28-2004, 09:20 PM
Personal benefits that I have achieved from moderate cycling:

1. Lost a bit of weight. I'm fat, so I still have a LONG way to go on this level, but that said, at least I'm getting exercise regularly.
2. My blood pressure is now consistently at 106-110/68-70.
3. My resting pulse rate is always below 70.
(I know this information because I donate blood every 2 months and they tell me!)
4. I feel better.
5. I'm more flexible.
6. I don't suffer from SADD like I sometimes did when I wasn't biking all winter.
7. My asthma is easily controlled and I haven't had a bad attack since I started riding regularly (4.5 years ago now).
8. I not only have learned how to clean my bike, I can change a flat, adjust my derailleur, and do all sorts of basic maintenance and fit adjustments that I had no idea how to do before.
9. I have more confidence.
10. I have met all sorts of neat people because I bike.
11. I know my neighborhood so much better than I ever did when I was driving everywhere.
12. Cycling puts me in tune with the seasons: like when the redbuds bloom or when you can smell the linden trees flowering.
13. I can comfortably get around without using a car. For days. With 3 small kids. Including grocery shopping!
14. Driving my car in traffic makes me frustrated and stressed out. Biking makes me smile! :-D

Jane

shewhobikes
01-18-2005, 10:04 AM
Wow, how great to find all of you! I'll be 49 in March and just got into cycling having first gotten hooked on spin classes this fall. This weekend I bought my first "big girl" bike--a Gary Fisher Big Sur. I had the LBS put a cut-out seat on it; I saved the knobby tires and put on some a little slicker for the roads and asphalt paths near the house.

Anyway, the bug has bitten me, big time. I hope to get in even better shape and join the local club for group ride soon.

Since really commiting to working out these past few months (spin classes at least 3 times a week, weights 2-3 times a week) I'm feeling stronger and having more fun than in many years. Partly, too, I've got a little more time to enjoy; since our daughters are now 14 and 17 they have their own activities and interests, so my getting away to the gym for an hour or so is no big deal.

I want to be one of those 70-plus ladies tearing up the road!

Nice to meet all of you!!!

Trek420
01-18-2005, 12:04 PM
I have a question for us grrls of a certain age; my next milestone will be bi-focals. Ack!

Any of you use them, ride with them? How's that working for ya?

gilly
01-18-2005, 12:22 PM
48 and wish I'd enjoyed my teen years as much as I'm enjoying my 40's :rolleyes:

I wear varifocals. although I don't ride in them, I can see without them (although not to read!) but everything is a little hazey (including the wrinkles :D )

I got them from a place that would give a refund if I didn't get on with them within a month, so I couldn't lose :)

I don't think I could cope with the line that comes with bi-focals, but I've never tried...

shewhobikes
01-18-2005, 01:11 PM
I'm already there. I have transitional lenses, meaning I look out the top for distance and the bottom for close-range. Sounds more complicated than it is. It took me about a week to get used to them (I felt slightly off-balance and a little queasy) and then it was fine. I ride in them, play golf, etc. No worries.
P.S. In other words, these are sorta like bifocals without the lines, for folks who have both far- and near-sightedness like me.

syklnsoph
01-18-2005, 02:06 PM
hey Trek...
i have bifocal contacts.
no trouble except for drying out occasionally. and when i want to do really close-up stuff, like taking out counted-crosstitch stitches. then i use the cheapy glasses from Costco. (3-pak). also with the contacts, you can still wear the cool-looking 'biker' sun glasses or the clear covers when it's foggy or on the dark side. i do suggest if you are doing off road or lots of (down) hills, to wear some sort of eye protection. i have hadlittle bits of dust get in my eyes, and it feels like a boulder. also had a contact flip out and loose it when the wind got underneath an edge and lift it.
but i love my bifocal contacts....too easy!
soph

aka_kim
01-18-2005, 03:42 PM
I wear multi-focal contact lenses all the time, and don't have any problems with them while riding. They are very thick for contacts (think contacts from 20 years ago), making my eyes dry out quickly and *any* dust/debris/etc *very* irritating. But, all in all, it's great not to have to pull out the reading glasses all the time. As long as you wear eye protection, these lenses work great for cycling.

annie
01-18-2005, 04:36 PM
Monovision contacts for me. That's one contact for seeing far away ( my left eye) and one contact for seeing close up/reading (my right eye). I got them last summer. I LOVE them. I really didn't like having to give in to "old" eyes, but finally had to admit I needed help. :rolleyes: Anyway, I went in, got my exam, popped in the new contacts and was totally amazed by how well I could see, both near and far. It sounds weird, I know. I couldn't imagine how it would work, but the brain compensates for the two different messages it is receiving and picks the appropriate one. At least that' s how it's supposed to work. It doesn't always do so. They say you know right away whether you can do it or not. It makes some people so dizzy that they get sick. I am lucky and I am grateful it I can wear them. Maybe someday I'll go for Lasik surgery, but not yet. It was spend my money on braces (at my age!!!) or lasik eyes. I went for the braces. No regrets. Hopefully by the time I can afford the eyes, they'll be able to correct everything!

annie

jobob
01-18-2005, 04:54 PM
It was spend my money on braces (at my age!!!) or lasik eyes. I went for the braces. No regrets. Hopefully by the time I can afford the eyes, they'll be able to correct everything!LOL, could this be a mid-life crisis trend? I looked into LASIK but I was turned down (admittedly I went to a very picky Dr., but I would only do it if my eyes were definitely suitable for the procedure, and they weren't - bummer). So I got braces. :p

Liposuction next ! (just kidding)

- Jo.

CorsairMac
01-19-2005, 09:48 AM
I wear progressive lenses - they blend the lenses so theres no line and depending on what you need is where you look thru the lens. Of course - I lost one of the lenses on the mountain while hiking so I'm down to just 1 lens right now and doing Very well! LOL I have the lens for the eye that needs to see distance and I only wear my glasses when I drive or watch TV. I need a new pair - but lets think - glasses or new cyling clothes for spring? No brainer there! :D I can't wear contacts because my allergies are so bad I keep popping the contacts out or washing them out when my eyes tear!

spazzdog
01-19-2005, 12:48 PM
When I first "transitioned" into the need for bifocals, I got the progressives. That lasted about a month. I got so car-sick wearing them... not to mention the tripping down stairs and ove my own feet.

I changed to regular bi-focals with the line... like in many areas of my life, I needed that visible line :D .

I have 4 pair of glassess: 1) my bifocals, which I wear most all the time 2) my single vision (far) for driving at night 3) my single vision (far) sunglasses for driving & what not in the daytime 4) single vision (far) sport glasses for biking/running.

And now I'm considering buying stock in LensCrafter :p

nuthatch
01-19-2005, 02:42 PM
I'm still hanging on to my long-distance contact lenses while I ride. Of course, I can't really see my speedometer very well and reading any kind of a map is out of the question. Then the ol' reading glasses come out of the rear bag. The monovision alternative sounds very interesting!

I understand that Lasik in the US can correct distance vision but does nothing for presbyopia - in fact, may even throw you into needing reading glasses at an earlier age. I heard Europe has a procedure that corrects presbyopia as well. So far, nothing works perfectly (like 20 year old eyes did)!

halfbit
03-06-2005, 11:40 AM
This is kind of a cath-all, guys....I've been drinking whole milk (quart a day) for years and do fine. I like the organic stuff best. Had a bone density test recently (I'm 56) and they said I had the bone density of a 29 year old. I have total hip replacements - got 'em about 20 years ago - work great. Personally, I'm big on dairy anyway - I eat a pound of butter, and a dozen eggs every week and have a cholesterol count of 163 - BUT I hardly ever eat fried foods. As far as blood work, I did want to mention that I got pretty run down a couple of years ago, so I started taking vitamins and stuff - unfortunately that wasn't the problem - I had colon cancer and one of the symptoms is acute anemia. A single mom raising kids and working, I'm not the type to go in for tests, but I should have been...Not trying to sound scary here, but if the numbers don't come up, be sure to follow up. My bike was a godsend during chemo. Being able to get out and do something for myself kept me going....PS density tests are EASY and painfree. But I was going to mention also that I think I saw something recently about it being possible to get too much iron..

halfbit
03-06-2005, 11:42 AM
Meant to add this on....bifocals. Zeiss makes a bi or tri that has a different configuration than most of the bifocals on the market. I love mine - I have trifocals- and can't stand the others. They're more expensive, but for me, they're worth it!

steph40
03-07-2005, 09:20 AM
Have been biking off and on since I was 5. Bought my new bike June 9 2001 and had a horseback riding accident a week later...moved twice in the next 2 years and am NOW just NOW getting back into it.

Lots of dangerous traffice here in Ft. Lauderdale. Anyone know of good times/places to bike here? My bike club is very suburban....I'm closer to downtown and the beach. Don't like the idea of driving to the suburbs just to ride in THEIR traffice as opposed to my own! :rolleyes:

mtnbikenmama
03-08-2005, 06:46 PM
I'm 45, started mtn biking 2 years ago, I was an avid hiker prior until the hip started bothering me too much, took up the bike and haven't turned back. Now I'm a happy cycling fanatic.

donna

AutumnBreez
03-09-2005, 12:28 AM
HI!
Hey! Thanks so much for the show of hands! I was just reading last night an article in Biking Mag. about bone loss and biking. I thought being a swimmer and biker i had picked two very sensible sports (as far as how they treat your body)...boy you can't win! So, here i sit about to head off to spin class eatting my 12 grain toast and soy nut butter...yummie! Any of you have back problems? I'm looking at surgery (And it better be an "in and out" deal) to help relieve a pinched nerve.

Irulan and Jo< what's your training routine like? I love to compare notes on this.
thanks! happy trails!

I am 4 years from 40, but the chiropractor balanced me out when I was waking up feeling crippled every morning and evening.

Bike Goddess
03-09-2005, 07:32 AM
How about over 60? I am 64- You women are a bunch of youngsters in my book! Just know, if I can do this, you can too!

Long distance runner turned cyclist in summer of 2003 due to degenerative arthritis in both knees (family trait). Should have taken this up sooner as cycling is a natural for me. When I look at all of you young uns I wish I could turn the clock back- oh well, I'm in this til the end! :D :D :D

LBTC
03-09-2005, 08:17 AM
Nancy you are an inspiration to me!! I'm 37 and hope to be riding hard well into my 80's!! cycling is, well, life! :o

Do you race at all? I do a little racing now. I kind of dream of doing a solo 24 hour race when I'm in my 50's....

Namaste,
~T~

cruziegirl
03-10-2005, 09:14 AM
51 soon-to-be 52. I started cycling about 11 years ago - commuting to work - and was immediately hooked. The original idea was getting some good exercise but I became hooked on cycling and I also got hooked on watching competitive road cycling. One day I started watching a stage of the Giro d'Italia and that was it - I was lost! :D My plan is to keep cycling for the rest of my life - it's just too darned much fun to quit!

Bike Goddess
03-18-2005, 04:31 PM
Do you race at all? I do a little racing now. I kind of dream of doing a solo 24 hour race when I'm in my 50's....

Namaste,
~T~[/QUOTE]
Namaste- Well, I don't race unless you count chasing guys 20 years younger and faster than me! Haven't found any road races that interest me so far. And, I'm training to do the AIDSLifeCycle ride from SF/LA this summer so I am pretty busy gettin' in those miles :D :D :D

Like I said, I wish I had taken this up 20 years ago like a lot of you I read about have. Oh well, better late than never, right? ;)

I also worry about the possibility of crashing during races- the old bones aren't as limber as they used to be! So I just enjoy riding to my fullest extent and training myself to be lean and mean :cool: :cool: :cool:

Nancy

LBTC
03-18-2005, 07:27 PM
I also worry about the possibility of crashing during races- the old bones aren't as limber as they used to be!

Bones heal! :) actually, they are a lot easier to get over than a lot of other things (broke my right humerus in two places 6(?) years ago in a bike crash - 3 pins for 4 weeks, 8 weeks off work, 6 months of physio, 1 cortisone shot, being faster on my bike than ever...priceless)

As long as you're enjoying yourself and not terribly scared :eek: worrying about crashes and stuff...that's what it's ALL about!!

Namaste,
~T~

lkrider
03-19-2005, 11:00 AM
[QUOTE=gretchen]I'm just wondering how many of you are the "over 40" crowd?

45 for me. The big wake up call I had on the age thing was a ride I was invited to join a few years ago with a friendly group called the "bikin bunch". I think the median age of their club was 65, both genders. I struggled to keep up and realized I had goals to work on when kindly "little old ladies" were smiling and encouraging me to "just get to the top of this hill and you'll be ok" :eek:

Bike Goddess
03-19-2005, 12:02 PM
Namaste- Yes I know! I've fractured an ankle and a wrist in past years. The last time that happened wrist about 10 yrs ago) the doc said I would probably have arthritis in that area in the near future. NOPE! :D However, I didn't mention to you that on my last bone scan I am considered a "stage one" as far as bone loss is concerned. AND this is after running consistently for 26 years!!! :) :) Family genes!

However, I will say that exercising and working out means less sickness and all that stuff. Even when I do get sick (rarely) it doesn't last, thank goodness. Couldn't stand being off my bike for more than a day or two ;)

UpNorth123
03-28-2005, 05:37 PM
Hi there-
Can't tell you how glad to see that even though I've come to the cycling world a little late (46), I'll be in good company. I did commute on my bike many moons ago when I lived in a college town...but my recently purchased road bike is a first (and boy, it's way cool!).

The reason for the leap onto the pedals-I'm participating in Team in Training for the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society and will be riding my first century in June (America's Most Beautiful Bike Ride, Lake Tahoe). I wanted to get back in shape, loose the extra mid-40's baggage and do something for others...this was the perfect match for me as my dad is a non-Hodgkins lymphoma survivor, my sister just lost one of her long-time friends to leukemia, and one of my best friends lost her brother to lymphoma. Having the support of a coach and a team of fellow riders working for a common goal has been great. And they are so nice to the old broad bringing up the rear of the pack (but, hey, I can still them...so they haven't even come close to lapping me...yet). :)

Lots to learn, many miles to go, but so far I'm having a blast! That includes riding in 23 degrees, having my water bottle turn into a giant Slurpee, and falling over once at a dead standstill (darn clipless pedals).

All the best-
UpNorth123

CorsairMac
03-28-2005, 07:58 PM
Welcome to the Board UpNorth! What a wonderful story and what an inspiration. Wishing you all the best and keep up the good work!......you just wait...one of these days They'll be trying to keep up with YOU!

Barb
03-29-2005, 06:05 AM
I haven't heard from her in a way long time. I haven't heard much from her daughter Fultzie either. Hmmmmm

Debbie Long
03-30-2005, 03:34 AM
Hey there. Do to my husbands mid life transition we are biking across the country. I just started training a little over 3 weeks ago and doing better than I ever expected. Of course this is a full time event for me right now and I am following the plan laid out for me, eating the right foods, etc. I am surprised at how well my body is responding and I am sure you will do great. I hope this will be something I will c ontinue for a long time. It's beautiful out there and when you get bored, just sing some silly songs. :p

Debbie Long
03-30-2005, 03:40 AM
I took Black STrap molasses, unsulphered, from the health store and my blood count was higher than any woman's the Red Cross had ever seen. I also recomended it for my friends baby and his blood count immediately went up. Doesn't taste great but it works.

cycleops300pt
08-15-2008, 07:39 AM
Hey Gretchen....I'll raise my hand to that.;)

TxDoc
08-15-2008, 11:51 AM
Not there yet - but getting close... ;)

bunnydodger
08-15-2008, 12:19 PM
47 here and having more fun than in my twenties.

arielmoon
08-15-2008, 12:40 PM
I turned 40 in July and I am in the best shape of my life!

BleeckerSt_Girl
08-15-2008, 01:44 PM
I turned 40 in July and I am in the best shape of my life!

I turned 54 this year and I can say the very same thing! Isn't it great to feel good? :p
ArielMoon, I wish I had started as young as you did! ;)

P.S. Gretchen hasn't posted here on TE in over 4 years....this thread almost qualifies for being over 40 itself! :eek: :D

ridenread
08-15-2008, 02:14 PM
I'm 45 and also in the best shape of my life. Still have a way to go to be in great shape but I am working on it and hopefully my bike will continue to bring me closer. If not it sure is bringing me lots of great rides

Serendipity
08-15-2008, 03:15 PM
Nope, over 50!
Last birthday was the big 5-0.
Very close to the 'best shape of my life'; that was a few years ago, but working on getting back there - for sure the healthiest I've ever been! And having a blast!

Grits
08-15-2008, 04:55 PM
47 here. Just got back into cycling this summer and got my first road bike :D
I'm doing my first MS 150 next month and aiming for 75 miles a day. Next year I'll be ready for the century!

mudmucker
08-15-2008, 05:06 PM
48. I've been cycling for about 24 years. At first for transportation in my early 20's. Then, I lived in a hilltown on dirt roads so I used a mt. bike every where I went in my late 20's to mid 30's. Then I moved where there were more paved roads than dirt, and bought and started road biking as that made more sense. I've always been athletic and outdoors oriented so this has been a lifestyle my entire life.

AmyO
08-15-2008, 06:00 PM
After decades of beating myself up with aerobics, step, running, and machines, I finally regularlly hit the weight room and also started spinning almost 4 years ago. Then I felt the urge to hit the road and bought a bike last year. WHY did I spend so many years trying to run when my body was built to ride a bike????? That's what those thighs were for! Now my daughter is joining me...and I'm so glad that she can discover the joys of cycling at a much younger age.

I can honestly say I have never been in better shape. Yes, there are aches and pains, and now I have scarred knees from my bike falls, but that's what 55 years of experience will do to a body. :)

Got certified to teach fitness classes and spinning and LIFE IS GOOD. I will be 56 in January.

makbike
08-15-2008, 06:38 PM
46 1/2 and feeling great! Like others I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life. I can honestly say I'm passionate about my riding and it has been a blessing. I ride with a woman who is 75 year young and I can only hope I'm as active (she typically rides 50 - 80 miles/day) as she is when I hit 75. She is an outstanding role model!

OakLeaf
08-15-2008, 07:22 PM
48 - how'd this thread get revived?

beccaB
08-15-2008, 08:03 PM
just turned 47, which makes me the same age as Obama, but older than Chris Chelios.

tulip
08-16-2008, 03:12 AM
Those who didn't qualify when this thread first appeared might well be in their mid-40s by now!

Yes, I'm 40 and happier and healthier than ever.

wawaski
08-16-2008, 03:21 AM
Still trying to make 15 mph average! :cool:

shootingstar
08-16-2008, 07:15 AM
48 - how'd this thread get revived?

:p We must have poor memory --seems like this age topic comes up under different 'guises.

49. Got back to cycling regularily when I was nearly 32 and bought my own bike then.

Cycling is like my security/fitness security blanket...and it's also my "car"..haven't lived a home with a car..uh, since I was 21.

NadiaMac
08-16-2008, 09:21 AM
Over 40 here as well. Started riding regularly two years ago after a 55 pound weight loss and serious foot surgery. I am now in the best shape of my life

redranger
08-16-2008, 10:06 AM
41 here and just getting started!

BleeckerSt_Girl
08-16-2008, 10:21 AM
I have to say that at age 54 now, I like the "Over 50" TE thread way better.
This one makes it seem as though women in their 40's are 'elderly' in some way!
:confused: :confused:

There are so MANY of us here that are over 40- it's just not unusual, if you ask me. ;)

bambu101
08-16-2008, 06:31 PM
54 rocks!!!!!!

I am 54, and in much better shape than I was at 40 :cool:

Zen
08-16-2008, 07:39 PM
Lisa, I've been avoiding this thread for the same reason :D

It's not about how old you grow, it's about how you grow old ;)

shootingstar
08-16-2008, 09:36 PM
This is the over 50 thread:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=7782

methinks there's someone on TE who is over 60..where are you??

Hey, great photo Zen.

BleeckerSt_Girl
08-17-2008, 03:21 AM
This is the over 50 thread:

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=7782

methinks there's someone on TE who is over 60..where are you??

If you read the over 50 thread, you'll find quite a few over 60 members.
Heck, I'll be over 60 too in just 6 years!.....no big deal! :D

Zen, cool photo. Shouldda been playing your accordion in the kayak though. Sort of the TE equivalent of someone playing ukelele while in a canoe....

pardes
08-17-2008, 09:03 AM
Interesting thread that laid dormant between 2005 and then jumped to 2008. Maybe the universe tilted in 2005 and no one aged?

It's been great going through all the posts in this thread. I'm glad to see how many of you are still around TE. Unlike other hobbies (obsessions?), biking seems to stick around and that is heartwarming.

I'm 62, at least until the universe tilts again.

This is me the summer I learned to ride a bike on a Pennsylvania country gravel elbow-eating road.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t7/threedogwrite/CopyofCEH1.jpg

This is me until recently....the lost years when I worked too much overtime and was always buried under paperwork.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t7/threedogwrite/aDSCN0004-1.jpg

So I tried horses but found I'd rather walk beside them and commune with their very sentient sensibilities and it was lovely especially on a snow-covered hill on a full moon night; but, alas it wasn't doing anything for my waistline and something was missing......

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t7/threedogwrite/Copyofcaroline--Dundee.jpg

And then I remembered the day, decades and decades ago, when someone flew down the country road on a bicycle and didn't take me with them.....

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t7/threedogwrite/CEHkid.jpg

The rest is history....

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t7/threedogwrite/DSCN0738.jpg

LBTC
08-17-2008, 09:49 AM
pardes, fabulous story! Well illustrated with photos and all! :)

I'm not over 50 yet, so I haven't read the over 50 thread. I'm glad it will be there when I'm ready for it! :p

For my 41st birthday in 2 months, I was thinking I'd like to do the metric century ride again (I've only done it once....), but I'm not sure I can convince any of my friends to celebrate with me the same way. We'll find something bike-related to do, I'm sure!

And, no, 40 isn't elderly, it's the new 20! heehee (which makes 50 the new 30, dontcha know?)

Hugs and butterflies,
~T~

pardes
08-17-2008, 09:58 AM
Thanks LBTC.

I'd be a lot happier if biking worked magic on my baggy stomach like it did on the rest of me. I have horror fantasies of becoming a mere 100 pounds and still looking like I'm 13 months pregnant.

BleeckerSt_Girl
08-17-2008, 10:14 AM
I'd be a lot happier if biking worked magic on my baggy stomach like it did on the rest of me. I have horror fantasies of becoming a mere 100 pounds and still looking like I'm 13 months pregnant.

Great story, Pardes.

Hey don't count on actually losing a lot of weight. But the weight you have will get redistributed and you'll have a much cuter shape. :D At least this has been my experience. :cool:

pardes
08-17-2008, 10:16 AM
I did not have a cute shape even when I had a cute shape. I resemble the measurements of a fire hydrant.

However, the shape I am is soooooo much happier.

BleeckerSt_Girl
08-17-2008, 10:20 AM
Ok, here is my shape before starting biking and fitness walking:
http://www.oldsongs.org/blackcreek/2005/2005-Images/36.jpg
(notice the choice of dress which covered up various rolls of fat)

And here is my shape after biking for 3 years:
http://forums.teamestrogen.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=6727&d=1218243278

You may not believe this, but there is actually a difference of ONLY TEN POUNDS less between the two pictures! :eek: I do know I have plenty of muscle now where I only had fat before. Nobody better mess with me.

pardes
08-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Lisa, you are cute as a button! Thanks for implanting another image of you that doesn't involve blue headdresses and swirls on a body suit. I do love that photo as well but the variety of these photos adds spice and no one should miss your feisty brilliant expression.

BleeckerSt_Girl
08-17-2008, 10:45 AM
Lisa, you are cute as a button! Thanks for implanting another image of you that doesn't involve blue headdresses and swirls on a body suit. I do love that photo as well but the variety of these photos adds spice and no one should miss your feisty brilliant expression.

Gee thanks!
But I guarantee that if you keep biking regularly you will really like the changes in your body shape over the next few years.

Hey fire hydrants can be damn cute!
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/6/8164523_791be899f4.jpg?v=0

Zen
08-17-2008, 05:13 PM
Zen, cool photo. Shouldda been playing your accordion in the kayak though.

I did yodel when we went under the aquduct :D
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb14/zencentury/MonacacyAqueduc2t-1.jpg
It provided wonderful acoustics.

elk
08-20-2008, 09:27 PM
i'm in love with that fire hydrant.....

and way over 40...

GLC1968
08-21-2008, 01:16 PM
Heh... I wasn't over 40 when this thread first appeared - but I am now.

I'm in the worst shape of my life...how's that? It's gone all downhill since I started biking. I love it so much, I no longer do all the other things that were so good for me (like weight lifting). Plus, it gives me an excuse to eat too much. :o

BUT, I am happier now than I have ever been, does that count? :D

elk
08-21-2008, 01:38 PM
yes; that counts in my book!

Crankin
08-21-2008, 03:21 PM
Lisa, your dress in picture #1 made me laugh. That's what I started wearing in my mid forties when, all of a sudden, I started gaining weight. This happened after being VERY skinny and then just normal thin since I was about 25. Those dresses were very popular "elementary school teacher" dresses in the mid to late nineties. I weighed more than I did when I was pregnant with Scott, and pretty close to my weight when I was pregnant with Josh. My friends told me it was "normal" and I think they were secretly happy I was now like them.
Then, in 1996 I went to a Bat Mitzvah in AZ, where all my former friends were wearing slinky black dresses and i was wearing a long (very nice) velvet empire waist dress from JJill that made me look like a whale. They must have wondered what happened to the 100 pound aerobics instructor. It took me another couple of years to start cycling (Fall 2000) but I immediately started to up my exercise and lose weight. The cycling did the rest, without even trying.

TsPoet
08-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Hey fire hydrants can be damn cute!

I'm over 40, (20-22, to be exact) and not posting a picture of myself, but here's one of a fire hydrant
http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee139/TsPoet/TOT/babyquail08-18.jpg

BleeckerSt_Girl
08-21-2008, 04:38 PM
This fire hydrant is not only over 40, but is over a HUNDRED years old, and it's also a HERO!
I found this story about it:

In 1906 a massive earthquake destroyed most of the city of San Francisco.
This fire hydrant is said to have been the only one functioning when fires broke out in the Mission district neighborhood following the earthquakes. Residents were able to put out the fires and they now honor their gold-painted fire hydrant every year on the day of the anniversary.
You can find the fire hydrant at the corner of Church and 20th Sts.

http://blog.insideoutmag.com/outabout/hydrant.jpg

BleeckerSt_Girl
08-21-2008, 04:45 PM
Here's a sexy bunch of fire hydrants if I ever saw one:
http://www.firehydrant.org/pictures/oldermodels.html

bmccasland
08-22-2008, 08:49 AM
Just found this thread. Am still in the over-40 crowd, and pushing 50. But not there yet! When I go home I'll have to take a couple of pics of the hydrants in my neighborhood - the ground has sunk, so the hydrants are further out of the ground than normal. Rather strange. After 6 years, I still can't get used to the fact that the ground here is sinking.