PDA

View Full Version : Indoor Cycling Videos

baskingshark
08-15-2006, 08:56 AM
My gym at work has some spinning bikes, but they don't offer spinning classes. Each bike has its own DVD player/TV monitor so in the absence of a class, can anyone recommend any good indoor cycling DVDs?

Thanks so much.

chickwhorips
08-15-2006, 09:59 AM
i have the spinervals dvds (http://www.spinervals.com/) and also the train right dvds (http://www.trainright.com/folders.asp?action=display&uid=1). i personally like the spinervals better. i get a good workout with them.

bambu101
11-09-2006, 01:43 PM
My BF has a Johnny G Spinner bike that he got last winter, and he has told me I can use it this year if I would like to. I have a Nordic Track Elite X-c ski machine, which I have had for 10 years, and have used it consistently 2 to 3 times per week, but would like to mix in some indoor cycling workouts.

I have looked at the Spinervals DVDs, and was wondering if anyone who uses them would recommend 1 or 2 titles for a beginner to start out with? Have to say, some of the titles are a little intimidating!

Also, as far as the CycloCore series, can these be used with a spinning bike, or a trainer only?

bike4ever
11-09-2006, 05:41 PM
I started a spinning class Tuesday in the bike shop I manage. We supplied some of the trainers and asked others to bring their own. Since the target group is my women's email list, I wanted them to return next week. I began with the Spinerval 12.0 Recharge. Next week I will do 8.0 Recovery & Technique. And the next week we will do 2.0 Sweating Buckets. All of these are rated 7.5 out of 10 on their difficulty rating. I will admit that Sweating Buckets is the more difficult of these three. With any of these programs, you can choose to make it as difficult or easy as you want. I had women barely sweating (they said they didn't want to over do it the first time); while other women loved the challenge.

Pedal Wench
11-09-2006, 06:34 PM
I prefer the Trainright ones - the Chris Carmichael ones. I like the way he discusses intensities and I can drown out the music with my ipod easier.

Veronica
11-09-2006, 07:41 PM
A couple of us have done write ups here on TE reviewing different Spinervals DVDs. You may find those reviews helpful. I've also got a discussion of videos in a couple of different write ups about training for the Devil Mountain Double on my website.

I really like the Spinervals series. I feel they really contributed to my first successful Double Century last March.

V.

kelownagirl
11-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Can you tell me what a spinneral dvd is? I mean, do you watch it while you ride? What do you see?
thanks,
barb

Veronica
11-09-2006, 08:05 PM
It's like a spinning class with a Coach telling them and you what to do. But it's way more intense and directed than any spinning class I ever went to. He'll give you a gear to be in, often a cadence to achieve and a % HR to aim for.

I don't actually watch the video much. I'm too busy riding my butt off and sweating.

V.

bike4ever
11-10-2006, 05:26 AM
I agree with Veronica. I usually just listen to Coach Troy for the gear changes since I am usually watching my computer to hold cadence. You definitely feel like you accomplished something when you are finished.

kelownagirl
11-12-2006, 09:34 AM
Can you use them on an exercise bike (adapted in some way I suppose) or they only intended for a bike on a trainer?

bike4ever
11-12-2006, 09:46 AM
kelownagirl - You can use them on an exercise bike. They actually show some of the volunteers on exercise bikes.

I tried another Spinerval DVD yesterday. It was an overall strong workout for your full body. I realized that I have absolutely zero abdomen muscles. It is called the 3.0 Ultra Full Body. The cycling part of the program wasn't terribly challenging; however, the other body exercises were a killer for me.

tygab
11-12-2006, 08:00 PM
I got a Spinervals DVD today (1.0) and tried it out (and my husband finally got a trainer also which came with one). It was a tough workout for sure, and I was huffing and puffing trying to keep up. I was having a difficult time going into my big gear up front so I have to check on that before doing it again, and they definitely have you switching gears a lot, at least in this one. I did like that they were outdoors and were from different backgrounds.

Looking forward to trying more. My library is now up to 3 - 1 CTS, 2 spinervals. At least there is some variety there.

Crankin
12-02-2006, 04:38 AM
The Cyclo-Core program does not actually give you DVDs for the cycling part. I bought the Cyclo Core and Cyclo Zen package from Terry; the stuff on the DVDs are the core, abs, resistance, back, stretch stuff. You can do most of these, using the trainer as an interval if you want. The cycling part of the program comes as a CD you down load and print, with a training log. I bought the 3 month, low volume intermediate level program (it's got more rest days, since I wanted time to do other sports). I have done all of the core workouts, on and off for the past 2 months and a couple of the riding work outs, since I am still riding outside. They are TOUGH! I am starting the 3 month riding program on Monday. I don't really need to be watching a video to ride on the trainer. I blast the radio really loud and keep an eye on my cadence (and swear). I just keep the ride directions near me.
I love doing the yoga and feel it's a good complement to cycling. I also use the stretching after hiking or running. I know this will make me stronger; I never ride like this outside, I just focus on going and maybe on speed.
There are also 6 audio CDs on various cycling related subjects. I listened to them all in the car on the way to and home from work. They are very realistic and I like the emphasis on balance in what you do and having fun.

khgulledge
12-10-2006, 08:24 AM
how long did it take you to get the dvd's? i ordered 12/4 and haven't heard anything about when i will get them, if they've shipped, or what...i'm ready to start the program!!!

guess i can go ahead and do the part for the 12wk off-season part and pick up the other stuff when it gets here.

you've used this for over a week, how do you likke it?

Crankin
12-12-2006, 10:57 AM
I ordered them from Terry, not directly from the Cyclo-Core company. It never takes me more than 3-4 days to get stuff from Terry, since they are in the NE. OK, so I started the program last week. My husband and I do it together and we both are working really hard. He is a very strong rider and this is still pushing him. It's pretty hard for me, but I am enjoying them. Basically, the low volume program is 3-4 days a wk. Sometimes, I switch the days around a bit and I go to a spin class on an "off" day. Every week has one outdoor ride scheduled, if possible and so far I have been able to do that, but I am sure that will come to an end in January. There's a lot of spinning and low resistance stuff in the first 2 weeks, working on building your cadence. I think that's good. I sure sweat! One of the drills from last night was almost impossible for me to do; you are supposed to lift your butt 1-2 inches off the saddle for 10 seconds and keep a high cadence. Well, with low resistance this is hard, but even with higher gears, for some reason (maybe because I am small) I can't really do this on the trainer. I know I could on the road, though. Anyway, the abs and core stuff is working, and only confirms my weakness in this area. I look OK, but i am weak.
I'm finding I am looking forward to going home and doing the routine and it's nice not to have to go to the health club at night. When I do go, it's very early in the morning (5:30). Another thing I like is the focus on balance, which is definitely a weakness of mine. I've even seen improvements in my outdoor riding since I started the core part of the program in October. Hope this helps. I am happy with the program. It's structured, but has flexibility.