PDA

View Full Version : Home made energy "gel"?

7rider
08-14-2006, 07:21 PM
Hi there.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with making their own energy gel that could be delivered through a flask. Any problems? Is it even advisable? :confused:
Thanks!

Regina

Kitsune06
08-14-2006, 07:37 PM
okay... this has no real basis beyond my own meandering experiences,
but reading the back of Hammer gel indicates longchain maltodextrins to be used....
I wonder if these are of the same beginnings as the malt syrup one buys in gallon tubs for maybe $10 each for home beer brewing? Could one then, theoretically, take this malt syrup (not as sweet as you'd think...) and mix in fruit juice concentrates and other ingredients found in Hammer etc gels to make a gel themselves?

Also:
for gel with caffiene, would it be possible to heat and dissolve nodoz into it? That sounds significantly more risky than malt syrup and fruit juices, but some people really need their kick... =P

Trek420
08-14-2006, 09:37 PM
Like gel.
Hate flasks.

I can't seem to carry one without its spilling all over: my camera, wallet, all over rear pocket....if I can't mount it on the handlebars where do I put the &^% thing so it won't spill all over?

Who here suggested in the logical spot the sports bra? :cool: ;) :rolleyes:

velogirl
08-14-2006, 11:07 PM
I can't seem to carry one without its spilling all over: my camera, wallet, all over rear pocket....if I can't mount it on the handlebars where do I put the &^% thing so it won't spill all over?

Dita, Dita, Dita. First, they make a great little top tube mount for gel flasks -- let me know if you want me to order one for you. Forget that! I think I have one sitting in my cupboard -- remind me to give it to you at BATO.

Now, if you just close the top of the flask with your teeth when you take a dose, it won't spill on anything. Just gotta keep it closed.

:o

I live on flasks since I get all my calories from drinks and gels. I carry two on long rides -- one on shorter rides.

7rider
08-15-2006, 09:10 AM
Like gel.
Hate flasks.

Who here suggested in the logical spot the sports bra? :cool: ;) :rolleyes:

I don't think I'd have enough space to carry one in the sports bra! :rolleyes:

My problem with the flask is mine seems to pinch my lips when I try to close it. It is rather messy, but I like the economy of scale with it.

RE: the comment on malt from home brewing...
Hmmmmmm....if it sits in the jersey pocket long enough with some sugar, can it ferment into beer? I have some yeast in the fridge! That would make for an interesting carbo load!

Eden
08-15-2006, 09:22 AM
My husband considered trying it, but never got around to it. I can stomach some flavors of GU and its on sale often enough. You can purchase the main ingredient, maltodextrin, fairly inexpensively from health food stores I think - or places that carry suplements maybe. In any case I know that you can get it in bulk online. I think it comes in powder form. You'd just have to figure out a way to get the flavoring you might want into it - and any other extras you might want.

Actually I was thinking (and wondering) if anyone has cola flavored energy gel? I think that might go down OK for me - better than the sick fruit flavors or chocolate (chocolate GU makes me gag) that a lot of them seem to be based on. Maybe I should try getting some maltodextrin and some cola syrups to try making my own. I'm thinking cola and ginger ale flavors would be tummy soothing and still have a nice kick.

edit: I've answered my own question - Cliff makes a cola flavor, maybe I'll have to give that a try. They base their energy gels on brown rice syrup rathern than maltodextrin. I'm thinking that would also be pretty easy to get at a health food store or natural food store.

AuntieK
08-15-2006, 09:32 AM
Eden, Clif Shot has an energy gel called Cola Buzzz. I've never tried it, but had a friend who did. I've never seen anyone spit something out and run to rinse her mouth so fast! Of course, everyone's tastes are different, so it's worth a try. I happen to love the chocolate GU that you loath.

Eden
08-15-2006, 09:41 AM
Eden, Clif Shot has an energy gel called Cola Buzzz. I've never tried it, but had a friend who did. I've never seen anyone spit something out and run to rinse her mouth so fast! Of course, everyone's tastes are different, so it's worth a try. I happen to love the chocolate GU that you loath.

Its not that I think chocolate GU tastes bad -kind of like chocolate frosting- but during a race, its so thick that I can't swallow it. It sticks in my throat so much that it interferes with my breathing. I need a thinner gel to be able to get it down. Banana and vanilla bean are my current favorites, but I know lots of people who can't stand the banana. I think it tastes kind of like banana pudding if you really stretch your imagination.

Pedal Wench
08-15-2006, 09:49 AM
What about plain old honey? That's the main ingredient for the Stinger products, so it should work just fine.

Hammer
08-15-2006, 10:45 AM
I've made my own that I like alright... still working on a recipe... But, I've gotten a jar of brown rice syrup from the local grocery store, mixed about 4 oz of it with a tbsp or so of pure vanilla, a bit of chocolate protein powder and thin it to your desired consistency with water... and then I also throw in about a 1/4 tsp of morton lite salt or whatever. It seems to taste okay to me... you can tweak the flavorings to your liking...

Kitsune06
08-15-2006, 11:11 AM
I would think the maltodextrin combined with brn. rice syrup, some fruit syrups or 'essence' (the sugar free syrups you can get at brew shops, maybe) or the cola syrup (same) might work. I'd be hesitant on the protein powder until post-workout- it might get glooby.

CorsairMac
08-15-2006, 11:38 AM
Dita, Dita, Dita. First, they make a great little top tube mount for gel flasks -- let me know if you want me to order one for you. Forget that! I think I have one sitting in my cupboard -- remind me to give it to you at BATO.

Now, if you just close the top of the flask with your teeth when you take a dose, it won't spill on anything. Just gotta keep it closed.

:o

I live on flasks since I get all my calories from drinks and gels. I carry two on long rides -- one on shorter rides.

so do you not carry food with you? If no: what do you carry and how often do you ingest?

I'm curious because I'm always on the lookout for alternatives.

Trek420
08-15-2006, 12:24 PM
velogirl "Forget that! I think I have one sitting in my cupboard -- remind me to give it to you at BATO."

So Velogal, you're going to be there this year? Not schedual a clients coaching session that day? hee hee.

"I live on flasks since I get all my calories from drinks and gels. I carry two on long rides -- one on shorter rides."

Course, I think she's kidding. You are kidding right? I've seen you eat real food :D

Nanci
08-15-2006, 12:36 PM
http://tinyurl.com/o96sx

I don't know of a cola-flavored gel, but Crank Sports makes a Mountain Dew-flavored gel that is delicious (for me).

Eden
08-15-2006, 12:40 PM
http://tinyurl.com/o96sx

I don't know of a cola-flavored gel, but Crank Sports makes a Mountain Dew-flavored gel that is delicious (for me).

cool thanks - I'll have to see if I can find some of that to sample. The cherry bomb sounds like it might be good too so long as it doesn't taste like cough syrup...

You never know. The Hammer Gel flavors sound like they ought to be good too, but they have a nasty chemical flavor ick, ick, ick

susanm8048
08-15-2006, 03:19 PM
This is a recipe I got from Coolrunning website and it works well.

You need:
Polyjoule or Polycose Powder (AKA Maltodextrin)
Gastrolyte sachets
Cordial

Mix 1.5 cups of polyjoule, I sachet of gastrolyte and a generous amount of cordial ( about 1/2 to 1 cup ) to turn the powder into a gel.

Mix the ingredients for a minute or two. Depending on the consistency, add a small amout of water to get a runnier gel.

Refridgerate overnight- it will become clearer.

This makes about 6 shots, usually enough for about 4 hours bike/run.

Drink plenty of water (NOT GATORADE- it will give you malabsorbsion and the trots) with each shot.

Another recipe I have but haven't tried is :

I scoop of sports drink
6 scoops of polyjoule (=1/2 cup)
enough water to mix to gel

This makes 3 gels
wash down with 200mls water per gel

I like making my own. It is convenient and satisfying and cheap!

Kitsune06
08-15-2006, 09:31 PM
Think coffee/ italian soda syrups would work in place of cordials?
*drooling imagining blueberry, peach, banana and/or raspberry gel*

7rider
08-16-2006, 04:38 PM
This is a recipe I got from Coolrunning website and it works well.

You need:
Polyjoule or Polycose Powder (AKA Maltodextrin)
Gastrolyte sachets
Cordial

Mix 1.5 cups of polyjoule, I sachet of gastrolyte and a generous amount of cordial ( about 1/2 to 1 cup ) to turn the powder into a gel.

Mix the ingredients for a minute or two. Depending on the consistency, add a small amout of water to get a runnier gel.

Refridgerate overnight- it will become clearer.

This makes about 6 shots, usually enough for about 4 hours bike/run.

Drink plenty of water (NOT GATORADE- it will give you malabsorbsion and the trots) with each shot.

Another recipe I have but haven't tried is :

I scoop of sports drink
6 scoops of polyjoule (=1/2 cup)
enough water to mix to gel

This makes 3 gels
wash down with 200mls water per gel

I like making my own. It is convenient and satisfying and cheap!

Hmmmm...thanks for these.
However, what is "cordial"? Is it flavored syrup? When I hear "cordial" I think of a sweet alcoholic after dinner drink, like Creme de Menthe or Gran Marnier.
Is "Gastrolyte" a trade name?

susanm8048
08-16-2006, 09:24 PM
Sorry, I wondered if all the ingredients would translate. I lived in Canada for 4 years,so you think that I would know!

Cordial is indeed sweet, flavoured syrup. You would normally add it to water for a sweet kids' drink.
Gastrolyte is a trade name for an electrolyte replacement drink usually used for people with gastroenteritis. You can buy it in chemists/drug strores in sachet form. It comes in different flavors, but I just buy plain so that I can add my own flavouring with the cordial. I just looked in the cupboard and the the sachets are 4.9g. and my husband must have got some freebies( he is a pediatric gastroenterologist- it is about the only freebies HE gets) of another brand- Hyralyte. I guess it works the same.

The polyjoule I also buy from the Chemist/ drug store. It comes in big tins and is quite expensive. People use it medically to add to sick kids feeds to add more calories.

One of the nice things about making your own gel is that you can make it as thick or thin as you like. I find it quite hard getting the commercial thicker ones down my throat especially when I am running.

I hope this helps.
Sue

mellic
08-16-2006, 11:53 PM
I think the problem with a lot of gels is that they are just too thick and pastey and you have to roll it around in your mouth for a bit to get the right consistency to swallow.

I really think an energy gel should be runny enough to swallow with ease so that: 1. you don't have to taste it too much, and 2. your breathing rate does not have to alter too much.

I have tried a lot of gels and I either cannot stand the flavour or I end up choking on it because it is too thick and I struggle to breath. I found this runny gel made by a company called Enervit which they call an Enervitene cheer pack. They come in lemon or orange flavour but the stuff does not taste bad and it goes down the hatch so fast you can hardly taste it anyway.

Kitsune06
08-17-2006, 11:09 AM
regular maltodextrin and dextrose are actually really cheap when purchased thru a brewing supply store...
I've seen a lot of recipes that call for dextrose online... just a small amount. Reading the back of my jug of Hammer gel, it calls for Maltodextrin, grain dextrose, fruit concentrates (I'm thinking a little scoop of fruit juice from concentrate for the 'all natrual' hammer stuff, or coffee/italian soda syrup for more exotic flavors) and amino acids. Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you get amino acids via health food shops? I'm thinking Bragg's Liquid Aminos would work, but I'd be VERY hesitant to use that as it's got that STRONG soy sauce flavor.