PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I wonder if I have a tape worm...

Veronica
08-14-2006, 02:03 PM
I am constantly eating. Well that's not really true... it just feels that way. But gosh I seem to need to eat a lot, about every two hours.

I've already had about 1900 calories today and dinner will probably bring it up to 2500 - 2600 for the day. My ride burned about 1300, take that number with a grain of salt, it's Polar data.

And that's a pretty typical day.

I'm already thinking about how I'm going to explain to the class why I eat 2 or 3 times in the morning.

They will be happier if I eat. :D

V.

Edited: Holy Moly! No wonder I'm hungry. The American Cancer Society's online calculator says I need 2442 calories a day to maintain my weight. And that doesn't take into account the days I do much longer rides.

As a used to be much heavier person... I am a bit mind boogled. :eek:

Brandy
08-14-2006, 02:14 PM
That's funny...sometimes I wish I had a tapeworm. :eek:

chickwhorips
08-14-2006, 02:21 PM
That's funny...sometimes I wish I had a tapeworm. :eek:

i'll second that.

BF has the metabolisom of a shrew! he can eat and eat and eat. no fair.

yellow
08-14-2006, 02:23 PM
I hear ya, V. I had to take a big stash of food into work so that (1) I wouldn't have to carry tons of food every day and (2) I never know when I'll need a snack RIGHT NOW.

I've really tried to be healthy about it, but have found in general that raw foods just don't do it for me. I'm done with baby carrots, I tell you. Done. They do nothing for me. Now Mojo bars I could eat several times a day...

Think it has anything to do with all that riding you have been doing?? :p I figured on my ride weekend before last I probably burned something like 4000 calories and took in maybe 1300-1400, which means I had a viscious deficit that haunted me for days. Unlike you, however, I haven't lost any weight. Haven't gained any, but haven't lost any. But I'm hungry all the time.

Veronica
08-14-2006, 02:38 PM
I've really tried to be healthy about it, but have found in general that raw foods just don't do it for me. I'm done with baby carrots, I tell you. Done. They do nothing for me. Now Mojo bars I could eat several times a day...

Think it has anything to do with all that riding you have been doing?? :p I figured on my ride weekend before last I probably burned something like 4000 calories and took in maybe 1300-1400, which means I had a viscious deficit that haunted me for days. Unlike you, however, I haven't lost any weight. Haven't gained any, but haven't lost any. But I'm hungry all the time.

For me it's pretzils with peanut butter and my chocolate chip cookies that really satisfy. Not the most healthy. But fruit and veggies do nothing for the hunger. I had a plum and twenty minutes later I was looking for something else.

I suspect you've put on a lot of muscle. I know I have. I had a few pounds to lose. I know you probably think you do too, but I don't see it. :D I tried on my work clothes this weekend. They are all so loose, but not enough to justify a new wardrobe. I'd like to lose 8 more before next March. But it's just a number. :)

V.

yellow
08-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Oh, pretzels & peanut butter. I might have to try that. Sounds like my kind of food!

I have to drive a couple of days this week so I'll be able to haul in some more food. Guess I'll need to go shopping this evening!

Veronica
08-14-2006, 03:13 PM
When I go back to work I'm going to do apples and peanut butter in class. I want to stress with them what a healthy snack is. I figure I might just as well use it as a teaching opportunity.

V.

ladyfish
08-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Hershey has a new bar (actually several) that you might like. They are called "Take 5". They are pretzels on the base then caramel or peanutbutter (I can't remember the third one) and coated in chocolate. Mmmmmm! I tasted the pretzel, caramel, chocolate one when I took my kids to Hershey Park yesterday.

You might want to see if they are available to the general public. I think they are new, since they were giving them out in trial size at the park!!!

Veronica
08-14-2006, 04:00 PM
Yep, those are pretty good.

V.

yellow
08-14-2006, 05:06 PM
Hershey has a new bar (actually several) that you might like. They are called "Take 5". They are pretzels on the base then caramel or peanutbutter (I can't remember the third one) and coated in chocolate. Mmmmmm!
Oh, chocolate. Bad. (For me.) That's why I like the Mojo bars. Nuts and pretzels and stuff, without chocolate or other sweet coatings. They do make one that has chocolate (or carob?) chips in it, but I don't ever get that one. They are also nondairy, a must for me.

Dogmama
08-14-2006, 05:47 PM
V - maybe you're just biking hard and your body knows what it needs for recovery??

If it lasts, though, I'd see a doc for a check up. You never know. Maybe your thyroid is working overtime?

Veronica
08-14-2006, 06:49 PM
V - maybe you're just biking hard and your body knows what it needs for recovery??

If it lasts, though, I'd see a doc for a check up. You never know. Maybe your thyroid is working overtime?

Thanks - I'm pretty sure it's the increased riding. I seem to have gone to the "next level" recently. 3 personal bests in the last ten days - a flat ride, a MB ride and a climbing ride I do regularly. All of them huge increases, or decreases if they're time based. :)

V.

Dogmama
08-19-2006, 04:28 AM
Hey V - how are you doing?

divingbiker
08-19-2006, 04:34 AM
For me it's pretzils with peanut butter and my chocolate chip cookies that really satisfy.

If you've got a Trader Joe's nearby, they have pretzels that have the peanut butter INSIDE! Really delicious, and not so messy.

chickwhorips
08-19-2006, 09:11 AM
anther reason to miss trader joes. before just the wine, but now pretzels with pb inside. dang the bad luck.

bethas
08-20-2006, 09:42 AM
Hello: I just joined up and have been please to see all the discussion about diet and riding. Do you all think even lower mileage rides can kick in the tapeworm complex? Due to scheduling and a very odd injury I've been doing shorter rides, say 6-10 milers. This past week it felt like even that brought on the appetite.

My situation is complicated by the fact that I pretty much follow a wheat free diet...and (gasp) no chocolate/caffeine.

bethas
Land of Goshen

Veronica
08-21-2006, 02:03 PM
Hey V - how are you doing?

GREAT! Thanks for asking. Just got back from an excellent trip to Oregon to do some mountain biking.

Did some trails we did last year that I remember as being wicked difficult - one is named Dread and Terror - it wasn't easy, but it was so much less difficult this year. Last year I'd estimate I rode 60 - 70% of it. This year was more like 95%.

Foodwise - I'm still chowing down a lot, but I'm burning a lot...

V.

kaian
08-22-2006, 06:28 AM
I've been experiencing the same thing! I'm constantly hungry. I can eat a whole meal and 15 minutes later feel like I could snack. My triathlete friend insists it's due to my increasing mileage. I'm training for a century right now and am up to 65 miles for my long ride. It's hard to find fulfilling foods, too. Salads, veggies, fruits aren't giving me that "full" feeling, so I've been trying to do high protein snacks when I feel like that.

It's kind of weird balancing out getting what I need to build my body and eating too much! But I guess if my body is hounding me for food, it's probably a sign it needs more. :D

Tater
08-22-2006, 11:03 AM
Another one here with the 'tapeworm complex'! Apples and pb are awesome, as are pb and banana sandwiches. I'll have to try the pretzels and pb! I agree with Yellow though, raw foods don't do squat for me! I need protein and or a bit of fat to keep me from pawing through my desk drawers or my backpack every hour or so to keep that tapeworm at bay.

tygab
08-23-2006, 07:18 PM
I've been refraining from posting... but yeah, its so bad that I have brought to work a stockpile of snackings, including a Costco sized cheerios for an afternoon bowl. Usually I am hungry about every 2-3 hours right now, at 9, again around 11:30 (I try to wait til 12:30), then again around 3 (I wait til after 4) and then again at dinner, and bedtime snack. I've always known the tapeworm is lurking and it gets in high gear when I have been in my better fitness periods, so I don't mind too much :) In poorer fitness periods (that's a euphemism for when I have just sat around on my behind all winter) I still have a metabolism faster than most I think... anyway

For fun, today's intake has been:
protein powder w glass of 1% milk
1/2 a Dunkin Donut
1 bowl pasta w/ meatballs and sauce
1 small bowl chicken ceasar salad
1 bowl of cheerios
2 loaded burritos (dinner and homemade, yum)
a couple of sticks of string cheese
and it's about time for my pre bed snack.

I dunno, maybe its not a lot of calories but it sure seems like I am eating all the time. :confused: