PDA

View Full Version : New Brake Pads

Bicyclette
08-13-2006, 10:28 PM
I think it's time to start looking at replacing the brake pads on my Trek 7.2 fx. Are all brake pads created equal? Are there different kinds of brake pads for different models of brakes? I'm not sure what to look for as I see soooo many brake pad options out there! I need some advice!

Pat

DebW
08-14-2006, 03:43 AM
There are basically 3 styles of brake pads: the kind used on most standard calipers on road bikes that bolt on (the post is threaded and comes with a nut), and kind meant for cantilever brakes found on bikes intended for loaded touring (with a long unthreaded post), and those for V-brakes on mountain bikes. Within these 3 categories, most are interchangeable. You can buy the brake shoe (metal holder and post included) or just the rubber pad for some style shoes (if there is an open end to slip it in and out from). Pads do differ in rubber compound, color, and the pattern molded into the braking surface. Some may be better in dry or wet conditions or on different rim surfaces. Kool-stop pads are good if you can find them. Any of the higher-end pads made by Shimano or Campy should be good. Maybe other people here have opinions.

Geonz
08-14-2006, 08:05 AM
My LBS guy switched me to a longer-lasting rubber compound when I wore through mine with the new Xtracycle thingy... I'd ask at the LBS.

donnambr
08-14-2006, 09:04 PM
Bicyclette, you must have been reading my mind. I planned to start a thread like this tonight, but you beat me to it!

I've heard a lot of good things about Kool Stop Salmon brake pads, especially in wet weather. I have Tektro V brakes and the amount of black brake dust from the pads that came with the bike is unbelievable. It's beyond vanity - I get black everywhere and on everything. I understand this may be typical of the stock Tektro pads. Can anyone comment on the brake pad dust levels of Kool Stop Salmons? It would be nice to find something a bit less filthy.