PDA

View Full Version : North Shore Rides

CycleChic06
08-13-2006, 02:05 PM
Hi everyone,
I really want to do a ride on the North Shore. Earlier this year I did a charity ride around Cape Ann that wasn't too bad. And I tried to do another ride up there today, my bike map showed that 1A was a good road to ride on, I ended up starting in Hamilton with plans to ride all the way to Newbury and down Plum Island. But the road and traffic was so horrendous that I turned around after only 8 miles and then got chased by a crazy man on a bike for half a mile.

Can anyone reccomend a good ride up there? I'd like to do around 40 miles and would prefer no crazy men, but sometimes you can't help that.

PAP103
08-14-2006, 06:13 AM
Bike New England has some rides with cue sheets online and the rides are arrowed. Check out http://berkshirecycling.tripod.com/berkshirecycletouring/
and click on North Shore rides.

Have fun!

CycleChic06
08-14-2006, 01:38 PM
Thanks Pap, that site is perfect!! I just hope it's going to be as beautiful this weekend is it was last weekend so I can try one of these out.

Have you ever done any of these rides?

PAP103
08-15-2006, 06:27 AM
I've done the Salt Marsh Tour which is very nice. I saw some back roads that I didn't even know existed! I ride the Topsfield Loop on Monday nights with North Shore Cyclists. I like this ride too.

Enjoy!

eofelis
08-31-2006, 07:16 PM
I'm just popping in to say HELLO!

You folks are in my old neck of the woods. I grew up in Ipswich. My mom still lives there. I haven't been back that way to visit in about 5 yrs. I'm hoping that when I do get back there to visit sometime that I can find a bike and do some rides.

eofelis
08-31-2006, 07:26 PM
Bike New England has some rides with cue sheets online and the rides are arrowed. Check out http://berkshirecycling.tripod.com/berkshirecycletouring/
and click on North Shore rides.

Have fun!

I went and checked out this website. Lots of nostalgia for places I haven't been in a long time! When I lived in Ipswich I was into riding horses. I didn't get into riding bikes much until I moved out west.

I might have to make a special trip to my hometown, with my bike, to do some serious re-exploring of Essex County.

I thought it would be fun to ride Rt 1 in Topsfield, all those big hills! Is the traffic too insane for that now?

CycleChic06
09-01-2006, 09:48 AM
You might be better of waiting till after labor day. I can't really speak much about 1, but my ride on 1A south of Ipswich was great, but as soon as I got North of it, the traffic was CRAZY!!! I gave up and turned around when I reached the Clam Box, but then I couldn't even cross the street, I had to get off my bike, walk down to a cross walk and pray for a car to stop for me.

I've heard 133 is a nice ride and I know 127 was pretty nice too around Gloucester and Rockport but traffic is going to be really bad this weekend.

Crankin
09-01-2006, 01:35 PM
I have been riding with Denise G. on some nice back roads in that area. But I would stay away from Rt. 1 in the summer!

Robyn

DeniseGoldberg
09-03-2006, 03:23 PM
Actually, I'd recommend staying away from Route 1 (in northeastern Massachusetts) period. 1A is OK, but 1 really isn't. There are nice sections of 133 (including the section that I've ridden with Robyn), but there are also sections that I'd rather not ride.

And then as you move to the north and east... 1A in New Hampshire is fine, although the section going through Hampton Beach is overcrowded in the summer, should be fine now. But I'd still stay off of 1 with my bike.

--- Denise