PDA

View Full Version : Big day.....ride report from 8/12

rocknrollgirl
08-13-2006, 12:12 PM
Well, I had a big day yesterday. I mentioned it to Qillfred in her camp post....but I wanted to throw it out there.

Up until yesterday, the longest ride I had ever done, or raced was about 20 miles. Probably does not sound like much to some, but around these parts, most rides are 15-16 mile rides on hilly single track. I have done more on a road bike, but 20 was my top on my mountain bike.

Yesterday my DH and I got invited out to do a 30 mile ride with "the guys" that we ride with. I have mentioned in previous posts, that these guys are fast, fast, fast!!! Awesome guys, but stinkin' fast.

So naturally, I said, hell yes, we are going. So we rode 30 miles of hilly singletrack. One giant loop no crossing over trails. It was amazing, and really hard. We had a great time, finished the 30 miles in 3 hours. Some of the twisty stuff, we were riding at 16-17 mph...crazy.

Anyway...the last thing I said when we left the parking lot was..."don't kill the girl" I did pretty well. At mile 20, my DH came back and rode with me and got me up crankin' in my big chain ring. It was really fun. He is a good man. I started to feel it about 28 miles....and then , blink, it was over.

I am a little tired today, but I did get up and do a 5K with my mother in law....

Anyway...kudos to "the girl" and her wonderful DH

Also I got to demo a bike. All in all a good day.

Ruth

Veronica
08-13-2006, 12:45 PM
I've so missed mountain biking.

Thanks for sharing!

V.

snowtulip
08-13-2006, 01:58 PM
Great job rocknrollgirl!:D What bike did you get to demo?

Wish I could share a ride report, but it was spinervals for me (trying to train for some local adventure racing, actually started training after hearing about all the fun you have!)

rocknrollgirl
08-13-2006, 02:06 PM
A Juliana..Santa Cruz, which is why I threw out another thread to ask if anybody had one. I liked it, but it is 6 pounds lighter than Bob, my bike, and the front end felt light and wheelie ish when I was climbing.

And KUDOS to you on adventure race training. It is so much fun, I am so excited that I motivated you... gave me a warm fuzzy.....

emily_in_nc
08-13-2006, 02:11 PM
Wow, that sounds like such fun. As a beginning mountain biker, I can only dream about that kind of mileage and speed, but it's something I would love to do someday! Congratulations on finishing such a grueling ride!

Emily

kerrybelle
08-13-2006, 02:21 PM
Glad to hear you had a great ride! I saw your post yesterday and was curious about where the ride was. As you know, it's a little tough to get that kind of mileage close to home.

Nice to get such a real ride in on a demo bike, too. It's tough to make a call about one on the street or short mtn ride. I gather you may be leaning towards the Racer X? Have you talked to Jess at all? I know you've rode one, but I think her's might be about your size.

I, unfortunately, did not ride this weekend. Ended up wakeboarding today. Although, I chose not to go in. We went pretty early and it wasn't that warm yet.

Good luck on choosing.....

Kerry

rocknrollgirl
08-13-2006, 02:57 PM
Thanks Kerry,
I likes the RM element, but the standover is too high for me, and Specialized does not make one small enough either. Did not care for the Motolite. I saw Jess at the Dark Horse 40 but only spoke to her quickly. One of the other riders from my 12 hour team rides a Titus also and she likes it to climb, but not downhill.

Hard to judge yesterday, because I had to ride at my race pace all 30 miles!!!!