PDA

View Full Version : Tandom technique

newfsmith
08-13-2006, 07:30 AM
We are about to go on vacation. DH thought it would be fun to try a tandem. I certainly agree, but I have some questions. Because of the size differential, (Dan is 6 ft, I'm 5 ft) I assume he will have to captain, but I am the more experienced and stronger rider. I would really appreciate any tips on basic tandem technique; starting, synchronizing pedaling, stopping, shifting, dismounting, etc. I expect this to be a 24 speed Trek T900.

Veronica
08-13-2006, 07:38 AM
Do a search on the tandem list on starting and stopping.

http://search.bikelist.org/

There is a "method" that we use, but I don't have time to describe now. But you should find it on the list. That's where we got it from.

Communication is key on a tandem.

V.

SadieKate
08-13-2006, 07:50 AM
Talk a lot . . . and then talk some more. It usually works best for the stronger and heavier rider to be in front. It takes a lot of strength to hold up a tandem or control it in sudden manuevers.

What type of tandem are you renting? Just a townie or mtb to do some slower speed rambles might be good for the first time out since your DH isn't as experienced.

http://www.bikeaholics.org/CaptainTraining.html

KnottedYet
08-13-2006, 11:52 AM
I was wondering why I never see women in front on a tandem. Now I know...

SadieKate
08-13-2006, 02:14 PM
You see them but only with smaller partners -- for instance, MP and PP, V and her Cinderella partner.

Veronica
08-13-2006, 03:15 PM
Thom was my stoker for a few rides when I learned to captain. We're so close in size that it worked out okay. He was a little scrunched up back there, but put up with it so I could learn.

Captaining is hard. I was glad Joann is a very experienced rider, because it made it easier. You have to tell the stoker a lot, that you just sort of take for granted when you're on a single. Things like coasting and gear changes. It gets better the more time you ride together. Thom hardly tells me anything now. Plus I always felt a little stressed because I was responsible for two people and a tandem is heavy. It doesn't stop like a single bike. It doesn't manueveur like a single bike.

I think I'd be better at it now and more comfortable.

V.

mimitabby
08-14-2006, 06:21 AM
yeah, Captaining a tandem (which is heavy) takes a lot of upper body strength. I would say it's made my Dh a better rider and a STRONGER rider too.
having said that; are you telling me that you don't have this bike yet and will be trying it out for the first time when you are on vacation? I hope you will be near a bike shop who can fit you, etc...

stopping, starting, dismounting.
let's start with getting on the bike. He gets on, holds it steady and then you get on when he's ready.
Starting. You're already all "locked" in so you give him a pedal, have the one up that he likes
and then you gently push him through while he gets himself clicked in or whatever to the pedals.
stopping. HE TELLS YOU that he's slowing down or stopping.
other wise, YOU get your legs hurt. after you are stopped, like at a light; you just sit there unless
you have to get off.
Dismounting. he gets into a braced position and tells you when he's ready, and you get off.

As big as your dh is, he should be fine and a good enough rider to pilot the thing. He just needs to learn to do what you tell him..