PDA

View Full Version : Bird noises.....

Denise223
08-12-2006, 07:40 PM
The weather out here today was absolutely beautiful so Ben and I enjoyed a 20 mile ride out in the country.

At around mile 12, I started hearing birds chirping - kind of in sequence, sort of a 'whistling' sound.......but this sound kept following me.
It was really starting to irritate me ....

I started to think of Alfred Hitchcock's, "The Birds", and as well, Tippy Hedren.... The sound was that piercing!
This noise happens when I am pedaling (only) -- so, I had 8 more miles of pedaling to go before we got to the car to get the spray for the chain....

This seemed to help about 90%, but I didn't take it for a long enough ride to really see.
Does anyone have an idea as to what this might be?

Thanks a lot!

Have a great evening.

Denise

Kitsune06
08-12-2006, 07:53 PM
Could be any number of things. Is it a particular leg? if then, it could *possibly* be the saddle... if it seems lower, I would start to wonder about the bottom bracket, or maybe your pedals...

Good luck and keep us updated~

Eden
08-12-2006, 08:11 PM
somone else had this same question / problem recently - try lubing your jockey wheels (the two little plastic gears on your rear derailleur). If lubing doesn't work, they may need to be replaced.

Denise223
08-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Hi Kitsune & Eden!

Thanks for your input -- I appreciate it very much.

I know for sure that it's not the saddle.

When I'm off the bike, I lift it & turn the pedals forward, the chirping & squealing noise is coming right from where the pedals are. Only makes noise when I'm pedaling. (noise doesn't seem to be from the pedals).

There's a couple of shops open tomorrow, but I really hope that it's nothing too serious....... Another beautiful day and we want to go ride :D .

Have a great rest of the night everyone.

Denise

Denise223
08-13-2006, 01:24 PM
Well, I sprayed some dry lube on the chain & surrounding areas...... And, my little trial ride around the parking lot seemed to be fine - no "bird" noise...

So, we're on our way for a nice ride!

Thanks for your help :)

Denise

Denise223
08-13-2006, 04:39 PM
Oh well.... our ride late this afternoon turned out to be 6 miles rather than 20+ :( .......

That chirping noise is still there, and now appears to be coming from the rear derailleur or cassette & freewheel service.

Kitsune: I believe on another thread you mentioned the "Park Tool Website", and that's where I found the names that I mentioned above. (well.... I knew 'derailleur'....but, the other I didn't ;) .
I'm going to really check out that site tonight -- lots & lots of very informative stuff.

So, I'll call my lbs tomorrow and I HOPE that he'll be able to check it out & fix whatever the problem is so that I can go riding tomorrow.... I don't want to be without my bike for long!

Have a wonderful evening everyone.

Denise