PDA

View Full Version : Who rides on platforms?

RedRansV2
08-12-2006, 12:28 PM
I've recently gone clipless with a pair of Eggbeater Candy C's. But I'm thinking about switching back to some type of platform pedal. I don't have any difficulty clipping in or out, I really like the increase in power up the hills, and don't have any knee or ankle pain. I've only fallen twice, but I ride a recumbent and my rear end is only about 20" off the ground--I didn't even leave any skin on the pavement.

Much to my surprise, I hate the feeling of having my feet locked onto the pedals. I find I'm riding less often and less distance. So I'm thinking about trying something like the Speedplay Drillium pedals. On my bike, toe clips would actually be a bit harder to get in and out of than clipless pedals.

I don't think there's any way you could effectively pedal circles unless your foot's locked onto the pedal, but I may be willing to sacrifice that to regain the joy of riding. Or I may discover, that I liked the pedalling efficiency of clipless enough that I figure out how to overcome my mental discomfort. Yeah, I know I could work on that anyway, but this whole biking thing is all about fun.

I ride paved trails and roads about 4 times a week for at least 20 miles/ride, 40+ if I have the time. Anyone with a similar profile (other than the bike) riding platforms other than usual Wellgo cage types?

KnottedYet
08-12-2006, 01:23 PM
I had platforms (no toe clips) on my BikeE, and was perfectly happy with that. But on my uprights, I had toe clips and now clipless Speedplay Frogs.

If you were happier with platforms on your 'bent, put them back on. funny, but I never even considered clips or anything to attach my feet to my 'bent.

Nanci
08-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Knotted, most of the people I know with bents ride with clippless...

For a minute, I thought the title of this thread was "Who Rides In Platforms?" :eek: My mind must still be back at the Austin Powers movie I watched last night...

Geonz
08-12-2006, 02:11 PM
NOt on a recumbent, but my Schwinn is platform, my two hybrids toe-clips.

There are a number of thigns I *could* do to be more efficient... but I don't need to be, so I don't. Efficiency has its own joys, but it isn't everything!

Kitsune06
08-12-2006, 02:22 PM
I ride platforms, mostly because the mallet Cs I have, I didn't get cleats with, and I don't have the shoes, so it's sort of out of laziness, but from time to time, I do find I feel fortunate to be able to just stick a foot out.

mimitabby
08-12-2006, 07:20 PM
so ladies, you are talking about riding without anything holding your feet in at all??

That pedal is VERY expensive. WHY? (the speedplay drillium)
what market does it cover?

Thank you

Kitsune06
08-12-2006, 07:29 PM
Mimitabby:
Probably covers the same market that would buy the
"Brooklyn Machine Works Shin Burgers"
http://www.mtbr.com/reviews/Pedal/product_22385.shtml

I can only imagine the damage slipping the pedal and getting shin-slapped would do. ...probably has that name for a good reason:eek:

I'm thinking people who do trials and some pretty technical mtb/downhill, who can't afford slips, but can't afford to clip, and are likely wearing protection anyway.

RedRansV2
08-12-2006, 11:00 PM
There are a number of thigns I *could* do to be more efficient... but I don't need to be, so I don't. Efficiency has its own joys, but it isn't everything!

Yeah, most of the time I'm not that interested in efficiency. Except on the hills.

mimitabby: That's right, no cleats, no toe clips. I had my first bent for 12 months and put 1000 miles on it wearing a pair of tennis shoes. I thought I'd try clipless to find out if I could ride a bit faster and, therefore, farther. And I can.

Kitsune06: I think that is indeed, generally the market for platform pedals with pins. I read some of those reviews and came to a some conclusions:
1) Most, and maybe all, the reviewers were guys.
2) They claimed "X" pedals were the "grippiest" and your feet would never fall off and then wrote about how their shins looked like they'd been attacked by a mountain lion.
3) Complaints of injury were not actually complaints. (It's hard to compare battle scars online.)

I was just wondering if anyone regularly rode a lot of miles with some kind of platform pedal, and if so, what kind. I wonder what kind of platforms Austin Powers rides in.

Selkie
08-13-2006, 12:14 AM
I have shimano pedals with SPD on one side and platform on the other. On all my bikes, including my "good" ones. There are times when it's safer and/or more convenient to use the platforms--heavy trail traffic or when there are lots of traffic lights/stop signs.

mimitabby
08-13-2006, 05:21 AM
2) They claimed "X" pedals were the "grippiest" and your feet would never fall off and then wrote about how their shins looked like they'd been attacked by a mountain lion.
3) Complaints of injury were not actually complaints. (It's hard to compare battle scars online.)
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: !! thank you!!

and Kitsune, thanks for the explanation.. I learn something everyday in this forum!

tattiefritter
08-13-2006, 08:26 AM
I don't think there's any way you could effectively pedal circles unless your foot's locked onto the pedal, but I may be willing to sacrifice that to regain the joy of riding.

RedRans, I currently run flat DMR pedals on my hardtail MTB and Crank Bros Candys on all my other bikes including my full-suss ( the flats are for practising things like bunny hops etc). The thing that surprised me most was that pedalling had to be very very smooth (i.e. proper circles and constant pressure) else it was easy for feet to lift off. You obviously can't pull up but you don't need to mash either. I'm not sure about on a recumbent but using them on my hardtail has actually improved my pedal stroke.

A friend of mine has gone back to platforms after not getting on with SPDs at all, seemed to be climbing like a demon today with a very good spin. It has revolutionised her riding.

If you go for something like an MTB flat pedal with pins then a soft soled pair of shoes is best - I have an old pair of Vans skate shoes.

And it does hurt like hell when the pins hit your shin!

Geonz
08-13-2006, 09:03 AM
My pedal stroke is also more efficient for riding sans attachments. I do a bit of ankle flexion to rotate the pedal for that perpendicular effect that will have maximum torque and think kind thoughts of my sainted physicist father who explained that stuff to me.

Tuckervill
08-13-2006, 12:48 PM
It's refreshing to read encouraging words about platforms, instead of the endless praises of clipless.

I have platform pedals that came with my Trek 4500 MTB, and I'm happy enough with them. Some guy at a bike shop once said I should go clipless because it will keep my feet from bouncing off on treacherous terrain--but so far that hasn't been a problem. I think it's more likely that the minor bumps that make me stop on the uphills would cause more falls with injuries if I was clipped in. Sometimes on a trail I have to throw my foot down and I want to be able to do that without having to deploy a "technique".

Of course, if (when) I get a road bike, I will likely get clipless pedals and shoes. If I were racing my MTB and speed was an issue, I might get clipless pedals. But for me, someone who doesn't take risks on the trails, who can't bunny hop or do a wheelie, who walks her bike over downed trees, but does just fine over roots and rock gardens, and can climb like nobody's business, platforms meet all the need I have.

Karen

kelownagirl
08-13-2006, 02:35 PM
I love my clipless mtbike shoes but I still cheat using the clips ever since I fell off. I have those temporary clip on platforms that they use in the LBS. I can use them on one side, or flip it and clip in. I tend to clip in only on one foot right now and use the platform on the other foot. I need to get over this hurdle, I know. Anyway, I like the comfort of knowing the flat pedal is there when I want it...

barb

RedRansV2
08-14-2006, 07:45 AM
Thanks for all the replies, ladies.

Kitsune06: You ride the Mallets as platforms! Did they come with the bike? BTW, I doubt that you're lazy.

Goenz & tattiefritter: Now that's interesting info about improving your pedal stroke. And counter to conventional wisdom. So of course, I'm going to try it.

Tuckervill: My feet bounced a bit on my cage style pedals, but have never come all the way off. While I don't ride off road, I'm not a particularly aggressive rider and platforms will likely meet most of my needs.

mickchick: I've heard mixed reviews about those Shimanos but since you have them on all your bikes, it sounds like you're very satisfied with them. The two complaints I've heard, consistently, are that they're hard to clip in/out of and that it's a pita to get the side you want to flip up. Which side do you ride most often?

tattiefritter: Thanks for the info about the pedals with pins. I bet it does hurt like hell if you get smacked with them. I'm probably going to try them anyway. Some of the seemingly stupid stuff I've tried has worked out pretty well for me. And some things have, in fact, been just stupid. :o

kelownagirl: I'm so used to taking both feet off the pedals when I stop that I'm not in the habit of tilting the bike. So I thought, instead of unclip both, stop, clip in one foot preparatory to starting up again, maybe I'll try to keep one foot clipped in. Turns out you can track stand a recumbent. For about 2 seconds. And then you discover how hard it is to learn new habits. I bet that looked really funny.

Thanks again!

Tuckervill
08-14-2006, 07:51 AM
Tuckervill: My feet bounced a bit on my cage style pedals, but have never come all the way off. While I don't ride off road, I'm not a particularly aggressive rider and platforms will likely meet most of my needs.

Yes, I imagine on a recumbent you're not putting your weight on your pedals like we do on mountain bikes.

I pretty much believe that if I hit something hard enough to bounce my foot off the pedal, something bad is already happening and I'm doomed anyway. lol.

Karen

RedRansV2
08-17-2006, 01:08 PM
I pretty much believe that if I hit something hard enough to bounce my foot off the pedal, something bad is already happening and I'm doomed anyway. lol.

Karen

ROTFLOL!!

It was great to be able to post such a heretical notion on this board and know that no one was going to warn me of the dire consequences of my foot falling off the pedal or the loss of speed and power.

I bought a pair of cheapo ($24) Bulletproof pinned platforms so I could try out this pedal style. I liked them quite a bit.

Tattiefritter's right about using the soft soled shoes instead of the firmer mtb bike shoes. I tried both and my feet felt more securely fastened wearing the tennis shoes.

I did notice some loss of power on the hills and starting up from a stop, but they were significantly better than the stock cage style platforms. With the pins holding my foot onto the pedal, I could pull back and achieve maybe 70% of a full circle. And WTH, that's probably the same degree of commitment I have to speed and efficiency anyway. :p So I'm going to get either the Drilliums or Shimano DX's.

I'm going to keep the clipless pedals, though and ride them sometimes. Sometime, I'd like to do some 3-4 day supported tours or maybe STP, and they really do have an advantage in those situations.

Kathi
08-17-2006, 01:37 PM
What clipless pedals do you have? Speedplay makes a platform for the X pedals that clips right over the pedal. I've heard that Shimano makes these also. The pedal is plastic, and isn't grippy but it does allow float. No changing pedals just attach them and go.

I found them on the accessories page on the Speedplay website.

RedRansV2
08-17-2006, 02:36 PM
Thanks Kathi,

Float doesn't seem to be a problem; I just hate the feeling of being locked onto my pedals. Anyway, I have Eggbeaters Candys and they came with a plastic cover but not like the one on the X series. That thing looks pretty cool, BTW.