PDA

View Full Version : What is this crud?

Veronica
08-10-2006, 10:37 AM
Solid pieces of black filth on my chain, rear derailleur, cassette and chain rings.

I know - it's just road grime, but why does my bike seem to get so much of it! :mad:

V.

bcipam
08-10-2006, 10:49 AM
My bike used to gather lots of crud as well until I learned to clean and lube it properly. I used to use the lube to clean everything and I would put it everywhere and not wipe it down properly. Now the lube only goes on a clean chain, which I wipe down thoroughly after applying lube and I wipe down and dust the rest of my bike with the proper brushes and rags, using alittle Pledge on the frame. My bike stays nice and sparkly! It's amazing!

DebW
08-10-2006, 11:00 AM
Solid pieces of black filth on my chain, rear derailleur, cassette and chain rings.

I know - it's just road grime, but why does my bike seem to get so much of it! :mad:

V.

Because you ride it so much. Only bikes that aren't ridden stay clean.

Geonz
08-10-2006, 12:23 PM
BCIPam - I'm picturing you being like the lady in the Swiffer ads... making that bicycle just so with the right brushes and rags... where's your white glove?

I'm gonna try to clean mine and not overlube. The idea that too much lube attracts the globs makes sense. (I attract the globs, though. Pigpen has nothing on me!)

bcipam
08-10-2006, 02:55 PM
Ha! Actually I'm a slob (and have been called Pigpen myself). But I have a really good and sweet friend (Richard) who helps me maintain my bikes and he got all over me cause I used to spray my bikes with water and I would douse everything in lube and well make a mess. He taught me how to do it proper (and thus make less work for him) and it is amazing - the bike stays cleaner and there is less work in the long run. Sometimes its nice to have anal-retentive friends! :D

I now have this nice little workplace set up in the gagage for bike maintance. It's really convenient to have everything right near by and Richard, bless him, gave me a Park workstand for my birthday. Boy that makes a difference!!!!;)

SadieKate
08-10-2006, 03:08 PM
We recently changed to using Pedro's Extra Dry on both mtb and road. The bikes are staying much cleaner. You do have to apply a bit more frequently but I'll take that to the grunge which shows up otherwise.

The new little drip nozzle is the best applicator yet. Sprays are awfully messy unless you have the little straw which keeps getting lost. And the older applicator with the flip thing on it applied too much.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000H228VK/sr=1-9/qid=1155250642/ref=sr_1_9/104-5707523-2635148?ie=UTF8&s=sporting-goods

Veronica
08-10-2006, 03:18 PM
Hey thanks! Maybe I'll try something else. I think we're using Ice something. I don't know... I clean the darn thing way more often than I want to. But Thom buys the cleaners and lube. I can't stand the chain being noisy.

V.

SadieKate
08-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Pedro's Ice Wax? I don't think wax based lubes last long at all. Try the Extra Dry. It's only $6.

bcipam
08-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Wax lubes have their advantages and disadvantages. If you are riding in wet conditions most of the year than a wax lube is recommended but it picks up so much dirt! I use White lightning in the winter but really have to clean my bike (I mean thoroughly) more often. Once the weather drys out I use either Pro Link or Pedro Extra Dry (both work well and are recommended by most mechanics) but sparingly and only where needed. The less "wet stuff" on the bike, the less likely it will pick up grit and dirt.

Kitsune06
08-11-2006, 06:09 PM
I hear wax lubes actually tend to collect dust and debris... I still swear by Pro Link as a dry lube. I regularly spray my drivechain down with simplegreen and then pour water over it (but don't hose it down, just so the BB doesn't risk water-infiltration) bam. Clean. 'course the solventing and baking took about a day, but everyone needs a day off, right? I've actually not had problems using it in wet weather, either... *shrugs* I reapply only when the chain's making noise.

No chain wear (that I can notice...) or gear/cassette wear in ~2k miles.:)

7rider
08-20-2006, 04:44 PM
I've got to second...or third...or just heck, re-state... to go with a dry lube.
We use it on all our bikes (6). No problems with icky stuff or squeaky gears.