PDA

View Full Version : Well... I did it...

Veronica
08-09-2006, 01:05 PM
I just got back from ordering my new bike at Rivendell. :D

I decided it was time I built up a light double century event bike. This urge to keep doing these crazy rides is not going away. At least it's not growing and I haven't quite let MP convince me to do an entire brevet series. :eek:

So what did I get?

A Legolas.

http://rivbike.com/html/Legolas.html

I could have gotten any color, but that's just too much to think about... so I'm going with the standard red and I'll accessorize with black. I decided to go with a compact double. I'm sure some of you are gasping in disbelief. But it's going to be a 46 - 33 in the front with an 11 - 34 rear. The smallest gear will be about 9% taller than my current smallest. But I think that I will still be able to get up Diablo with that - maybe I'll have to stand on the 17% now.

It's going to have a Phil Wood Bottom Bracket, a Chris King headset in black. I've asked for Campy Record Carbon Brake Levers. The Legolas has cantilever brakes, so I asked for the Paul Neo Retro ones.

The wheels are going to be built up by Rich at Rivendell. The goal is something stiff like my Mavics, but without the tendency to toss me around in a cross wind and lighter.

It should be done in about 3 weeks.

V.

jobob
08-09-2006, 01:08 PM
suh-weeeeeet ! :D :D

mimitabby
08-09-2006, 01:49 PM
I just got back from ordering my new bike at Rivendell. :D

I decided it was time I built up a light double century event bike. This urge to keep doing these crazy rides is not going away. At least it's not growing and I haven't quite let MP convince me to do an entire brevet series. :eek:

So what did I get?

A Legolas.

http://rivbike.com/html/Legolas.html

I could have gotten any color, but that's just too much to think about... so I'm going with the standard red and I'll accessorize with black. I decided to go with a compact double. I'm sure some of you are gasping in disbelief. But it's going to be a 46 - 33 in the front with an 11 - 34 rear. The smallest gear will be about 9% taller than my current smallest. But I think that I will still be able to get up Diablo with that - maybe I'll have to stand on the 17% now.

It's going to have a Phil Wood Bottom Bracket, a Chris King headset in black. I've asked for Campy Record Carbon Brake Levers. The Legolas has cantilever brakes, so I asked for the Paul Neo Retro ones.

The wheels are going to be built up by Rich.

V.

3 weeks!! wow! congrats (they told my husband 2 years so he isn't getting
a Rivendell!)

sounds lovely. i love red and black stuff.

Veronica
08-09-2006, 01:53 PM
It's two years for a custom Rivendell. The Legolas is a production bike, just like the Rambouillet and Atlantis. I love my Rambouillet and in my size the Legolas is like a lighter version - practically the same geometry.

One thing I forgot to mention - I'm sticking with bar end shifters.

V.

SadieKate
08-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Mimi, it is 2 years for a custom Rivendell frame. The Legolas is a boutique production frame like the Ramboillet and Atlantis.

SadieKate
08-09-2006, 01:55 PM
It's two years for a custom Rivendell. The Legolas is a production bike, just like the Rambouillet and Atlantis. I love my Rambouillet and in my size the Legolas is like a lighter version - practically the same geometry.

One thing I forgot to mention - I'm sticking with bar end shifters.

V.Ha! You beat me to it and I guessed the shifters. :D

jobob
08-09-2006, 02:13 PM
Dynohub?

snapdragen
08-09-2006, 02:16 PM
Very cool V! I can't wait to see her/him!

edit: Red bikes are very fast!

Veronica
08-09-2006, 02:35 PM
Dynohub?

Mark and I discussed it. Thom thinks it's a good idea. Mark thinks it makes the bike heavy. I think, just get faster so I don't need so much light. :D

V.

Trekhawk
08-09-2006, 02:39 PM
Congratulations V - its beautiful. I love it when someone buys a new bike for me to oggle. Make sure you post some pics once you have your new baby at home.:)

CorsairMac
08-09-2006, 04:42 PM
give me just a sec here to wipe the drool off the keyboard, the monitor, my jersey (ok....that's sweaty I wouldn't know the diff)......not only did you get a Rivendell but you got the one named after the one character in Lord of the Rings that I've been in lust with since I was about 13 yrs old and read LOTR for the first time. My feelings right now are wayyyyyyyyyyy beyond envy they've entered into denial - I'll just pretend I didn't read this post and then it really didn't happen! :p

What a neat deal V - I can't wait to hear how it works out for you on those killer centuries.

(did you get the red to go with your cashmere jersey and pearls? lol)

Veronica
08-09-2006, 04:53 PM
(did you get the red to go with your cashmere jersey and pearls? lol)

Red has always been my favorite color, although lately I've been getting a lot of pink stuff. So when they first came out I was in serious lust.

I've been e mailing Mark about the various parts - so much to choose and think about. I thought I wanted a Phil Wood bottom bracket...but they are not that light.

I need to choose cranks...

I want a black Finesse saddle, but the ones at Wallbike don't have bag loops. I actually use the bag loops. The ones on the Brooks site have bag loops.

And of course I want to get it all decided so it can be ordered, so it can be built, so I can ride it...

V.

snapdragen
08-09-2006, 04:56 PM
V - have you checked ebay for the saddle? A friend of mine just bought one there, a Swift, with bag loops. Wallbike didn't have it either.

DebW
08-09-2006, 06:34 PM
So how much weight are you going to lose (from the bike, not your bod)? And how many minutes will that translate into on Diablo?

Congrats. Sounds nice.

jobob
08-09-2006, 08:38 PM
Maybe so, but I'm going to have cooler on the trailer, so we can have picnics.

Oh. That's totally different. Nevermind. ;)

Jo-n-NY
08-10-2006, 05:38 AM
Veronica, lots of luck with your new bike. Red is a great color, although not custom made, I love mine.

I cannot wait to see pics when you pick it up.

~ JoAnn

MomOnBike
08-10-2006, 08:13 AM
Plus... it will freak people out.

The best reason I can think of. :D

You'll get your money's worth out of that bike, I'm sure of it.

We'll want pics, you know.

SadieKate
08-10-2006, 10:37 AM
I want a black Finesse saddle, but the ones at Wallbike don't have bag loops. I actually use the bag loops. The ones on the Brooks site have bag loops.Just thinking. Have you checked with Shaw's or Stone's Cyclery? Doesn't Thom go to Alameda for work?

Veronica
08-10-2006, 10:52 AM
Oakland actually. But, I'll tell Riv what I want and hopefully they can find it.

V.

CorsairMac
08-10-2006, 10:55 AM
so is that trailer going to have a cooler And rocks??......

if memory serves me correctly: aren't you the one that rode with rocks in your trailer? :p

maillotpois
08-10-2006, 10:56 AM
(Didn't see this thread yesterday...) Super cool!! I am so excited for you. So this is not a birthday present...?

Veronica
08-10-2006, 11:00 AM
so is that trailer going to have a cooler And rocks??......

if memory serves me correctly: aren't you the one that rode with rocks in your trailer? :p

No... it was rocks in the banana bag.

No rocks in the cooler, unless they are edible or imbibible.

V.

SadieKate
08-10-2006, 11:04 AM
. . .or imbibible.

V.Is that a real word? Or have you been practicing it?

CorsairMac
08-10-2006, 11:06 AM
Is that a real word? Or have you been practicing it?

sounds like she's been imbibing too many imbibiles ................:p

Veronica
08-10-2006, 11:08 AM
I don't believe it is a real word because I looked up how to spell it. There was no adjective form of imbibe listed. So my big quandry, should the suffix be -able or -ible?

V.

Veronica
08-10-2006, 11:09 AM
sounds like she's been imbibing too many imbibiles ................:p

Only one Red Bull so far today.

V.

aka_kim
08-10-2006, 01:07 PM
I don't believe it is a real word because I looked up how to spell it. There was no adjective form of imbibe listed. So my big quandry, should the suffix be -able or -ible?

V.
I won't quibble with -ible.

My new bike (if it's ever done) may want to ride with your new bike some day... may have to schedule a play date.

Selkie
08-10-2006, 01:16 PM
That's the way to go, girl! You needed that spare ride. Now your bike will match your awesome Sidis.

Next year, you and I will have to have our own mileage challenge, ok? ;-)

Veronica
08-10-2006, 01:23 PM
Your miles ahead of me Suzanne. :D I don't think I'll ever catch up. Go on vacation will ya, somewhere without your bike.

Kim - when IS your bike going to be done?

V.

Veronica
08-10-2006, 01:32 PM
(Didn't see this thread yesterday...) Super cool!! I am so excited for you. So this is not a birthday present...?

Nope - not a present. I'm still thinking a trip to Kauai for my birthday. If my Christmas vacation were longer I'd be thinking Australia or New Zealand.

V.

maillotpois
08-10-2006, 02:07 PM
I have always wanted to do a bike trip in NZ. I don't think I could handle a flight that long, mentally, though. Going to Europe is hard enough.

So really a compact? Hmm... I wouldn't like losing on the top end. Either end, really! Well, it will be lighter with a compact, I suppose. Is that why you're doing it?

Veronica
08-10-2006, 02:43 PM
I almost never use the 48 that I have now, only on big descents. I can spin fast enough in the 36 - 11 to do 25 mph, on a slight downhill :D I use the middle for long flat sections.

I'm more worried about losing the low end because of my knees. I climb most of Diablo in the second or third lowest gear. And that's just about the same gear ratio as I'll have with a 33 - 34. I've tried climbing in my middle ring. And I can do it. But the joint pain after isn't worth it. It's a genetic biomechanical thing - my sisters have it too. I figure if it doesn't cause me joint pain, it's worth the weight savings and the added speed I should pick up, just from being in a bigger gear.

If it doesn't work out - I'll have a compact double for sale. :p

V.

maillotpois
08-10-2006, 02:46 PM
So you going to take the new bike in for a professional fit? Might help - that knee thing needs everything you can throw at it to minimize injury. Especially when you start doing the 400 - 600ks.....

Veronica
08-10-2006, 02:56 PM
Just shut up about 400 and 600! LALALALALALALA. I'm NOT listening. Well maybe a teent tiny bit...

I'm still thinking about the professional fit and getting tested again. I'm curious to see if my power output has improved a lot, or if it's my imagination and wishful thinking.

You know the first time I had the testing done, it was a birthday present. Do you think you're entitled to two way cool presents when you turn 40?

V.

SadieKate
08-10-2006, 03:12 PM
Hey, V! I heard Testa is packing up shop and heading to Colorado. Not sure if Heiden is going with him.

Veronica
08-10-2006, 03:14 PM
That's a bummer. Do you suppose someone else will continue with the clinic?

V.

SadieKate
08-10-2006, 03:16 PM
Dunno. You could check the web site or use it as an excuse to go bicyling in Colorado. Andy Pruitt is in Boulder, isn't he?

Veronica
08-10-2006, 03:24 PM
I've actually been wanting to ride in Colorado, but the elevation has put me off a little bit. It's on the list.

V.

SadieKate
08-10-2006, 03:38 PM
Bubba and I both did it. We survived. You just gear back your expectations. Slower and another gear lower -- and a ton of water.

Trekhawk
08-10-2006, 04:58 PM
Dunno. You could check the web site or use it as an excuse to go bicyling in Colorado. Andy Pruitt is in Boulder, isn't he?

Yep he is. Oh go on V I would like him to autograph my copy of his book while you are there seeing Im such a big fan.:D

maillotpois
08-10-2006, 06:57 PM
Well, if you can't get Testa to fit you, I do recommend PK Racing in Fairfax. I think a pro fit would be well worth it.

Veronica
11-01-2006, 07:26 PM
I got the new bike today.

V.

snapdragen
11-01-2006, 07:51 PM

V.

Pictures?!?!?!?!?!?!

DebW
11-02-2006, 03:46 AM

V.

Woohoo! Ride report?

Veronica
11-02-2006, 04:08 AM
Pictures... maybe today.

I rode just under nine miles around my neighborhood last night after dark. It started to rain and I didn't want to go home. :p I did two more hills in the rain.

The shifting is smooth. Mark at Rivendell really worked on the front chain rings to make it that way. I REALLY wanted a 46 - 33 compact double... bad knees, long steep mountains that I enjoy climbing. Anyway, he filed by hand the spider between the rings to make the shifting smooth as silk.

I was a little worried about how the shifting would be after reading about troubles some other people have had with their compact doubles. I swear it's less effort than the triple on Fluffy.

I also wondered if it would feel really different on descents. I don't have any really long hills in my neighborhood, nothing more than 1/2 a mile, but I went up and down several to get a feel for the bike. It's like riding Fluffy's svelte twin brother.

Thom says I can't take it out again and get it dirty until we take pictures. :rolleyes:

V.

jobob
11-02-2006, 05:06 AM

V.

That's Rivendell weeks ;)

Very happy for you, V. !

tprevost
11-02-2006, 05:09 AM
Congratulations V ~

I can't wait to see the pictures!!!! YIPPEEEE!!!!!

t~

BleeckerSt_Girl
11-02-2006, 05:16 AM
Oh my God Veronica, this is too great!
I just noticed this thread right now!
That is the bike I too would probably get as a second bike (you know I also have a Rambouillet like you do, and my only desire would be to have it be 3-5 pounds lighter). How gorgeous the Legolas is!!! What a great rich red color too.

You must be so thrilled- and you deserve it what with all the riding you do.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!
and we want PICTURES, LOTS OF THEM!!!!! :D

Veronica
11-02-2006, 06:07 AM
These aren't great, we'll do some more later.

http://www.tandemhearts.com/coppermine/albums/legolas/normal_legolas-1.jpg

Mark says the bike weighs 20.5 pounds with a different Brooks saddle and flat pedals. It should be a bit less with my Finesse, I have a black one coming to replace the green on it currently, and whatever pedals I ultimately go with. I may switch to Crank Brothers to get something lighter.

http://www.tandemhearts.com/coppermine/albums/legolas/normal_legolas-2.jpg

I love how Mark finished off the leather bar tape. On our Rambouillets we just used eletrical tape. :p

V.

Trek420
11-02-2006, 06:14 AM
snapdragen "edit: Red bikes are very fast!"

yep, but they get more speeding tickets :p :cool: ;) :rolleyes:

aka_kim
11-02-2006, 06:19 AM
Very nice!!!

I'm in serious lust over those handlebars. Did you go with Paul Neo-Retro brakes? What are the wheels? We need more pictures!:)

Veronica
11-02-2006, 06:26 AM
Rich made up the wheels after much discussion about what I wanted. I don't know exactly what he did. :rolleyes: They are stiff like my off the shelf Mavics, lighter and have regular spokes, not bladed. So hopefully in a crosswind, I won't be tossed around as much.

The brakes are Pauls.

I can't wait to get out again for a decent ride. I have a meeting afterschool today. :mad:

V.

KnottedYet
11-02-2006, 06:29 AM
Mmmmmmmmmmmm..... ;)

BleeckerSt_Girl
11-02-2006, 07:46 AM
Oh MAN!!! More pictures please!!!

So beautiful... Those are 700 wheels, right? What size tires??
What Riv. frame size did you get, and how tall are you??

Gotta KNOW! :) :D

recycle613
11-02-2006, 08:43 AM
That is beyond gorgeous. Congrats! May you have many, many happy miles together.

DebW
11-02-2006, 09:21 AM
Sweet.

snapdragen
11-02-2006, 10:11 AM
Awesome, beautiful bike V!

Veronica
11-02-2006, 04:16 PM
I hate days when I have afterschool meetings. At least it was raining today.

Let's see... yes 700cc wheels with 23 mm tires.

I'm nearly 5'5". I ride a 54 Rambouillet and the Legolas is a 53.

V.

BleeckerSt_Girl
11-02-2006, 05:24 PM
I hate days when I have afterschool meetings. At least it was raining today.

Let's see... yes 700cc wheels with 23 mm tires.

I'm nearly 5'5". I ride a 54 Rambouillet and the Legolas is a 53.

V.

Thanks! I'm a touch over 5'5" and my Rambouillet is a 54 too! But I know yours is that beautiful rich orange toast color. :)

That must have been really HARD to not ride your new fiery red beauty today!
You're a lucky lucky girl! :p
Are you going to name it?

Veronica
11-02-2006, 05:39 PM
I went out and stared at it for awhile.

No name has stuck with me yet.

I've been thinking LT for LegolasT or Fatboy just because he's not. My students suggested Fire. Thom said Arrow.

Fireball, Redhot...Cash... because he reminds me of cashmere jersey, both in color and feel.

That''s what I've thought of so far and none have had lasting appeal.

I probably won't be able to get in a decent ride until Sunday. Saturday is a volunteer day at the National Park for us. Unless Thom decides again that he needs to work. Have I mentioned how much I hate SAP?

V.

tprevost
11-02-2006, 08:37 PM
just beautiful! I look forward to hearing about all of your adventures with your new bike ;)

btw... more pics would be great too ;)

BleeckerSt_Girl
11-03-2006, 04:23 AM
Veronica,

Years ago, i used to love the song by Harry Nilsson called "Me and My Arrow".
It was about his faithful dog named Arrow, and was used in the animated movie called "The Point" with a Nilsson soundtrack. I always wanted to name a dog Arrow, I think it's too cool.
Check out the lyrics, they fit your bike perfectly!:

Me and my arrow
Straighter than narrow
Wherever we go, everyone knows
It's me and my arrow

Me and my arrow
Taking the high road
It's me and my arrow

And in the morning when I wake up
She may be gone, I don't know
And if we make up just to break up
I'll carry on, oh yes I will

Me and my arrow, Do-do-loo-do, do-do do-do do do
Straighter than narrow
It's me and my arrow

Trekhawk
11-03-2006, 09:29 AM
Beautiful bike V - love the colour and those handlebars.

Cant help with the name, Ive decided I have no imagination. I still call my new bike Col and thats probably as good as it will get.:D

Jo-n-NY
11-03-2006, 10:13 AM
Very nice bike Vernonica. I can imagine your excitement that it is finally in your home. I am wishing you many wonderful riding miles.

~ JoAnn