PDA

View Full Version : new bike or salvage old one

cinnamon_toast
08-07-2006, 12:31 PM
I'd love some advice here ladies! I am starting to research a new road bike for next spring and am wondering whether I am better off trying to salvage what I have which is a '93 Cadex (Giant) carbon fiber or buying new. I used the Cadex for 5 years while training for and competing in about a dozen triathlons. I think I paid a little over $500 for it. The bike never treated me well and left me with a lot of shoulder and back pain. I think the frame may be too big or the geometry is off for me. DH thinks I can get by with the Cadex by playing around with the stem length, upgrading the saddle - just bascially giving the bike a makeover. OR - would this money be better spent just buying myself a new bike. I'd probably spend up to about $1000. I plan on this being my major form of exercise this spring/fall/summer and will probably ride 100 to 150 miles per week. Anyone have advice to offer?

tulip
08-07-2006, 05:23 PM
It would depend upon your budget...I tried to stick with an old bike (a 1983 Vitus) that was simply too big. It was not until a bad crash put an end to it that I was able to tell myself that I could get a new bike. And what a difference it has made!

WrensMom
08-07-2006, 08:14 PM
You might consider getting a fitting done, either professionally, or at the least from a website like wrenchscience (http://www.wrenchscience.com). That way you could see if your old bike would work for you by changing things, or if it is so far off that you should just get a new one.

KnottedYet
08-07-2006, 09:09 PM
How long does carbon fiber last?

your bike is 13 years old?

CorsairMac
08-08-2006, 05:12 AM
speaking from a new purchase platform:

I was riding a 1989 Trek 1100 which I loved!! I've put close to 5000 miles on that bike in just about a year. No real complaints about that bike except that it was just a titch too tall...............until last night:

I tried a bike that fit me like a recliner just as soon as I climbed on, and I knew right then and there the Trek 1100 had never really fit me well, I had just made it work. My vote would be to get a new one that will fit you better, and then either set that bike for your specs, or get a fitting. My new bike is the 2007 Trek 1000-T with carbon forks and seatpost and I paid under $700 for it, so getting a good road bike for under $1000 is doable.

mimitabby
08-08-2006, 10:49 AM
gee, Cinnamon
if you LOVED the bike i'd say work with it; but I'm guessing you can find something different within your budget!!

SalsaMTB
08-09-2006, 08:41 AM
It doesn't hurt to test ride a few just to see how much of an improvement a new bike will make!