PDA

View Full Version : What bike would you choose?

RinTin
01-23-2004, 11:58 AM
Scenario:

Years Cycling: 3
Goals: Fitness, pleasure, have not raced but like to "push"
Average Ride: 20 miles
Other Facts: like to participate in 40- 60 mile rides, am going to complete a Century this summer, and possibly participate in a 2 day fundraiser.

I need a new bike and would like some opinions on what to look at: road, hybrid, or touring.

What would you concentrate on, and why?

Thanks!!!

jobob
01-23-2004, 12:52 PM
Hello, and welcome!

Other Facts: like to participate in 40- 60 mile rides, am going to complete a Century this summer, and possibly participate in a 2 day fundraiser.

I think under those circumstances you might be better off with a road/touring bike, maybe an all-purpose road bike suitable for 'light' touring, rather than a hybrid.

In terms of specifics, would you mind my asking ...

How much are you willing to spend?
From my limited experience (and I hope those More in The Know will correct me if I'm wrong!), it's difficult to find a new, good quality road bike for under, what, $600 ? On the other hand, that seems to be in the upper range for new hybrids. Your selection gets much better for road bikes if you're willing to go up to about $1000 (or more).

Also, are you petite or tall or somewhere in the middle?
It seems if you're on the tall side, you won't have as much trouble finding a bike that fits without havng to look into women-specific designs. As with all generalizations, there are of course exceptions! There's nothing wrong in general with WSD's except for the fact that there's a smaller selection to chose from.
Hybrids on the other hand are less difficult to fit.

I went through this thought process myself a couple of months ago. I replaced my hybrid with a general purpose road/touring bike. It cost about $1600, pretty pricey I know, but I absolutely adore it and I have no regrets! :D

- Jo.

Dogmama
01-24-2004, 06:48 PM
I'd be looking at road bikes. They're lighter and nicer to handle - important if you're going to ride 100 miles or more. If you've been riding 3 years, you aren't a newbie. You know this is your love and you DESERVE a nice road bike! :D Just ask any of the other women on this board that we've cajoled into spending the $$$ to get a good bike.

RinTin
01-26-2004, 06:03 AM
Thanks for the help!!

I am 5' 4" so should be pretty easy to fit. I was planning on spending around $1,000, but would be willing to spend a little more if there is value. There is a Trek dealer close by, so I may start looking there. We have snow right now - I will need to wait for awhile so that I can ride the bike before I purchase it.

I currently have a hybrid, and when I ride with people on road bikes I have noticed that I work much harder, which is prompting a new bike purchase. I also would like to move my hands around a little more on the longer rides. I think I must be feeling quilty about this purchase, even though I want to do it, because my hybrid has worked fine the past few years, but I want MORE!!

I don't know alot about the different bikes out there, so hearing from you and reading other posts/forums will be a wonderful help and resource for me.

Thanks again!

aka_kim
01-26-2004, 08:13 AM
Just heard that someone needs cajoling...

I don't know much about touring bikes, but it sounds like a road bike is what you need for now. If you go with a reputable bike shop (not a big box store) and get a good fit, you really can't go wrong with any manufacturer you choose. The choice may come down to what's available to you locally, and which LBS you like best. Trek makes great bikes, as do Specialized, Cannondale, Lemond and many others. At your size you should probably be looking at women specific design (WSD) bikes too.

The Bicycling magazine web site has a bike finder on the gear page, not sure how helpful it is, though.

Steph_in_TX
01-26-2004, 11:43 AM
Just in case you aren't yet convinced, I thought I'd throw in my two cents for the road bike. I started on a hybrid and decided pretty quickly that it was not fun hauling all that weight around. I'm not quite 5'5" and I didn't have to do WSD, but I tend to have longs arms. You'll just have to try things out to see what works for you.

Trek has actually started making some of their aluminum bikes with carbon forks for not too much $$. I probably would have chosen one of those had they been available when I purchased my bike.

Good luck and keep us posted!

pedalfaster
01-27-2004, 05:18 AM
I'll vote "road bike" too :)

A word (ok a lot of words) about bike fit:

Remember that with a road bike top-tube length is more important than standover height.

Your proportions (leg length to torso length) is more an idicator of the need to look at WSDs than is your overall height.

Your personal preferences, fitness level and riding style will also determine size. "Racers" tend to like to be more stretched out over the top tube than "touring riders".

WSD products (e.g. saddles, bars) can be added to "regular" bikes to make a bike more comfortable. Don't nix a bike that fits well otherwise because the bars are too wide for example. A good bike shop will exchange parts to insure proper fit (there might be an "upgrade fee" if the new parts are more $$$--unfortunately they usually are).

Have fun shopping!!!

bikerchick68
02-01-2004, 04:43 PM
I'll throw one more vote in here for a road bike... they are so much lighter which makes climbing soooo much easier....

Also if you do not get a WSD ask the bike shop to put WSD shifters on for you unless you have long fingers (try both and see what works best of course)... I had my LBS put the womens shifters on and it made shifting and braking much easier... especially braking when in the drops!

Good luck with finding your bike! I'm actually selling a WSD Lemond on eBay right now... just got a Litespeed Tuscany... "cause Santa LOVES me!:D

RinTin
03-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Update: I have been doing some research, have visited bike shops, and have been trying to talk to a lot of riders. I have been advised by my LBS that I will prob. need a WSD. I am going in for a "fitting' in a couple of weeks. I am interested in the TREK 1500 and the TREK 5200. The 1500 would suite my needs and would last me for a long time. The 5200 is overkill at the time ( maybe ) but what about the future?? Price is 1000 vs. 2500 . Any info on these bikes? I have found some posts on the 5200 but not the 1500.

Any insight, advice, wisdom to share?

THANKS!

Dogmama
03-05-2004, 02:50 PM
How long have you been riding? How many dollars do you love it?:D

What are the components on the 5200 compared to the 1500? Is the 1500 aluminum? The 5200 is carbon fiber, right? Aluminum will beat the crap out of you if you ride for any long distances. That leads to physical and mental fatigue. I didn't care for carbon fiber because it felt too squishy, but that's just me. And that was 7years ago...

I always figure - It's like buying the shoes at Payless or buying the shoes at Neiman Marcus. They'll both cover your feet, but how comfortable do you want to be? How long do you want them to last? (yes, Virginia, I can rationalize ANYTHING when it comes to cycling!)

pedalfaster
03-07-2004, 01:50 PM
...is still a lot of money.

I think this is one of those decisions that only *you* can make (although I think the group here will be happy to support you if you go with the 5200 ;) ).

I work PT at a Trek dealer. I tend to think of the 1000, 1200, and 1500 as "entry level" road bikes. A bike to start out on and see how much one enjoys riding.

From reading your profile (3+ years riding and planning to ride a Century this year) it looks like your already *know* you love riding. This will NOT be a bike that hangs, unloved and unused, in the garage :D

IF you can comfortably swing the price, I don't think you would be disappointed with the 5200. I could see you riding the 1500 for a year or two, and then as your mileage increases, looking to upgrade. If you buy the 5200 now it will probably serve you well for 5+ years.

p.s. the "new" carbon-fiber bikes are quite light AND stiff. The material damps road vibration w/o noticeable lateral flex.