PDA

View Full Version : Crit newbie!

bluerider
08-05-2006, 07:02 PM
I'm about to enter my first ever crit next weekend. I know what to watch out for basically. My only question is really to get a confidence boost or a reality check! :confused:

They have a newbie field which is great but it's only about 10km which to me isn't much of a challenge. The next field up is a Cat 5 but with girls who have been racing pretty much all season but are at the lowest rung on the racing totem pole. I think I would be sandbagging a 10km ride but I'm also a true true beginner and am tempted to do the longer one. Your thoughts? I know I'm asking a tough question.

I think crits are going to be a really interesting experience. Full out and bike handling are key so I've read. I've read some previous posts on crits and am really thankful for all the previous crit riders who have shared their experience.

Thanks!

velogirl
08-05-2006, 07:50 PM
Where are you located? Do you have a link to the race ad? Although you haven't raced, have you done fast-paced group/pack rides in the past? Have you ever spectated a women's crit?

Don't worry about being a sandbagger. If you've never raced before, you're entitled to race in the beginner's race if you want. Althought the distance sounds short, a 10k crit would be about 20 minutes long -- just enough to get your feet wet and get a feel for what a crit is like (kinda). Depending on the field size, if it's small, you might not really get a true crit/pack experience.

Cool that you have CAT5 women's racing. I'm in CA (we have the largest population of women's road racers in the US) and last year we petitioned USAC to instate a women's CAT5 but no one else in the country wanted it. Is this race sanctioned by an organization other than USAC? The cool thing about CAT5 is that you upgrade based on experience (10 races), not placement. So, everyone in that race would have fewer than 10 races under their belt -- don't worry about them racing all season for this reason.

I LOVE CRITS! There's something completely exciting to me about riding in a strong pack, attacking, moving around, recovering, working together, blah, blah, blah. I just love the speed. In CA, our women's crits average about 22mph -- what a rush! And crits are great for spectators too!

Eden
08-05-2006, 08:57 PM
Don't worry about feeling like a sand bagger by doing the beginner crit. They are very hard even if they are short. Unlike velogirl they aren't my favorite so I may be showing bias-- the last one I did was part of a stage race, 45 min (mixed cat 4-1 ack) and I would have given anything to just get pulled already. I thought the 101 mile road race the next day was easier.....
Even if you are comfortable with longer distances, crits are generally max effort for just about the whole thing so they are usually anything but easy no matter what it sounds like. Plus you have to be on your toes about your cornering and watching out for other people.

a little OT - velogirl have you ever come up to Oregon for any of the stage races there? There were lots of CA gals at Elkhorn this year. (I did several OR races this year and they were a lot of fun and very well organized)

velogirl
08-05-2006, 09:13 PM
a little OT - velogirl have you ever come up to Oregon for any of the stage races there? There were lots of CA gals at Elkhorn this year. (I did several OR races this year and they were a lot of fun and very well organized)

Believe it or not, Oregon is one of the states I've never been to -- GASP! But, I may head up to Portland this fall to do some cross races. I want to get some sloppy racing in before Nationals since CA is so dry until about December or January.

Do you race cross as well, Eden?

velogirl
08-05-2006, 09:19 PM
Hey, Eden! Just checked out your photos -- you're very talented. Noticed on your resume that you graduated RIT. I'm from upstate (most recently Syracuse). My little baby niece just graduated from RIT a couple of years ago in the IE program. Small world.

Eden
08-05-2006, 09:50 PM
Small world indeed. The hubby is an IE graduate from RIT too.

No cross for me. This is my first year and I think I want to stick to one discipline for a while. Let me get road racing down and then maybe I'll think about cross or track or any of the other things my team mates keep trying to get me into.

bluerider
08-06-2006, 11:57 AM
Where are you located? Do you have a link to the race ad? Although you haven't raced, have you done fast-paced group/pack rides in the past? Have you ever spectated a women's crit?

Don't worry about being a sandbagger. If you've never raced before, you're entitled to race in the beginner's race if you want. Althought the distance sounds short, a 10k crit would be about 20 minutes long -- just enough to get your feet wet and get a feel for what a crit is like (kinda). Depending on the field size, if it's small, you might not really get a true crit/pack experience.

Cool that you have CAT5 women's racing. I'm in CA (we have the largest population of women's road racers in the US) and last year we petitioned USAC to instate a women's CAT5 but no one else in the country wanted it. Is this race sanctioned by an organization other than USAC? The cool thing about CAT5 is that you upgrade based on experience (10 races), not placement. So, everyone in that race would have fewer than 10 races under their belt -- don't worry about them racing all season for this reason.

I LOVE CRITS! There's something completely exciting to me about riding in a strong pack, attacking, moving around, recovering, working together, blah, blah, blah. I just love the speed. In CA, our women's crits average about 22mph -- what a rush! And crits are great for spectators too!

Thanks velogirl!!! I need to move to CA!!! That's where the best racing scene is I've heard.

That's just it, I'm not sure how many beginner women will show up and racing against one or two other girls isn't my idea of a good time. I ride with a local club every weekend and can hang with the best of them. I even ventured to hanging with the faster group and could hang with them for a while. I've never spectated a crit either!

I've been wanting to do a race all year and now that FINALLY a beginner-friendly race has opened up, I want to do a race longer than 10km???

Anyway, I think it's a good idea as you suggest to give it a try first and then see how it goes.

Thanks again for the great advice!

bluerider
08-06-2006, 11:59 AM
Don't worry about feeling like a sand bagger by doing the beginner crit. They are very hard even if they are short. Unlike velogirl they aren't my favorite so I may be showing bias-- the last one I did was part of a stage race, 45 min (mixed cat 4-1 ack) and I would have given anything to just get pulled already. I thought the 101 mile road race the next day was easier.....
Even if you are comfortable with longer distances, crits are generally max effort for just about the whole thing so they are usually anything but easy no matter what it sounds like. Plus you have to be on your toes about your cornering and watching out for other people.

Thanks Eden. You're right, I am a beginner after all and I need to see how painful crits are. Even for 20 minutes, going full out is tough!