PDA

View Full Version : Clubs in the Boston area

mosaic
08-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Are there any good clubs for beginners? I'm really intimidated to ride with other people, but I don't have any good routes and would love the oppurtunity to learn more about riding. Any suggestions.

Imperfectstorm
08-05-2006, 06:21 PM
Try the AMC, they have a lot of road rides and many chapters to choose from.

Mt bike try NEMBA or your local EMS store or Landrys in the metro west MA area. good luck

tygab
08-12-2006, 08:48 PM
There are the Charles River Wheelmen, mostly riding in and around Boston, and the Seven Hills Wheelmen (more out toward Worcester). I just have gone on a few rides with the Nashoba Valley Pedalers who cover the 495 corridor - I plan to become a member sometime in the near future since I am close by and hope to do a lot more rides with them now.

The NVP for sure has rides suitable to beginners - Wednesday night rides are generally shorter distances and easier terrain. Tuesdays are their harder rides, usually mixed terrain, faster speeds, longer distance but even those often have a shorter/easier option. Thursdays are a constant course by which you can measure your improvement week to week. I've only ridden with them twice so far but they seem to be a pretty good and diverse group.

I haven't done anything with either Wheelmen clubs but I am sure they have similar intro type rides.

I am certain you can find a club! Keep us posted.

massbikebabe
08-13-2006, 10:07 AM
The Seven Hills Wheelman do a nice job with their rides. The group usually rides a slower pace, and everyone is super nice. My DH is a speed machine and he finds it very difficult to go out with the club. They also ride very beautiful and historic routes, and give you time to appreciate them. They also keep a no drop policy for all of their rides. If you have questions you can e-mail the president of the club, I am sure someone will answer you. I wish I was strong enough again to do a ride with them. Now that fall is coming they do awesome foliage rides.

karen
still trying to wiggle toes on left foot:(

Patti37
08-15-2006, 01:51 AM
I have riden with the Charlesriver Wheelman. Their rides are excellent.

They also have a beginner ride...I believe it is on Saturday.

Crankin
08-15-2006, 04:40 AM
I am leading an AMC ride on 9/17. It's a fairly challenging route in Acton, Boxborough, Harvard, Bolton. There will be a slower and faster group. If you look on the web site calendar for rides in September, you will see it. My friend (one of the other leaders) will be having a cook out at her house, following the ride.

We are very friendly! I have also ridden with the Wednesday Wheelers this summer (part of CRW). I am sorry that school is starting, because they are a very nice group, too. They ride year round, sometimes cross country ski. Some of these people are 75 years old and climbing up hills in central MA! The average speed on this ride is around 14-15.
Robyn

mosaic
08-17-2006, 03:14 PM
Thanks for all the info. I was wondering how fast or lost I could get, so it's nice to see that plenty of clubs don't drop people and seem to ride a pace I can keep up with okay.

For the AMC folks, do you need to be a member? I have to admit I once was a member before I considered cycling at all fun and was discouraged about re-joining after not ever being able to get into any outings. Admittedly, I wanted to kayak and space was limited, but there was really never a time I got "in" and I lost interest.

Crankin
08-18-2006, 04:07 PM
You do not need to be a member to go on the rides. It is very hard to get into the hiking or paddling trips, but is a little easier for cycling. This summer there is an easy ride series on Tuesday nights; but I think next week is the last one. Go on the web site, find the Boston chapter's area and then go to the bike committee page. There is a monthly calendar you can click on, with rides. Also, the "Intro" committee leads rides that are usually more relaxed and some of them are in very nice places. Not sure of your age, but the over 40 group leads rides, too and they also have an area on the chapter site.

obie
08-21-2006, 05:43 AM
Bike Rides for Ordinary People is a really great group - they are very welcoming to beginners and they do rides every weekend or two. You can be any speed and it's very friendly. I don't remember their website but I remember that it is easy to google. If you get on their e-mail list you will hear about different rides they are doing. They are also leading a ride at the MassBike Festival.

Surlygirl
08-21-2006, 07:08 AM
This is th easyrider page. They tend to do slower rides and flatter routes through the Worcester area.
http://www.easycrider.us/

SpinCycle
08-30-2006, 01:36 PM
Any one do women's training/club rides in the Boston area?

hirakukibou
09-05-2006, 11:43 AM
Belmont Wheelworks has a women's Sunday ride, but I think it's only once a month. It would be sure great if there was something more regular though.
Also, Quad cyles in Arlington has a club (men and women) and welcomes beginners. There are a range of riders and it's a friendly place. They have rides on Sat and Sun mornings leaving from the shop at 9:30 AM and then a slow roll ride on Wednesday evening that leaves from Fittness First in Arlington Center. Check out their webside www.quadcycles.com

ShaShrink
09-14-2006, 12:27 PM
I used to lead beginner rides for QuadCycles in 2002-2003 before I went back to graduate school. They were mostly for folks training for charity rides, such as the various AIDSRides and the Pan Mass Challenge, as well as some folks who bike for pleasure. I led folks up the Minuteman Bike Path through Arlington, Lexington, and Bedford through to Concord, Carlisle, and Billerica.

I'm just getting back to cycling now that I've graduated (just this Aug 31st!) and I am looking to slowly get back into shape. If anyone is interested in a slow beginner (avg about 12mph) ride through some of these areas, let me know. I can be reached via sha at moots dot org. I'd be especially interested in weekday rides for a while while I am job hunting.

Warm wishes,
Sharona