PDA

View Full Version : I'm almost a real cyclist!

trekchic
01-21-2004, 07:22 PM
Hey, guys........I finally bought my clipless shoes!!!!!!!!!

I ordered a pair of Sidi Lightning cleats and they finally came in today! I am so excited. With my bike hooked up to the trainer, I am sure I will learn quickly how to clip in and out. By the time I am able to get back on the road, I'll be a pro at it! haha!

I am putting the new saddle on the bike tomorrow so I can stay on the bike longer. It was getting unbearably hard to ride for any length of time. I am trying a gel saddle with the cut out. I'll let you guys know how that goes. I have found out that I need to put a thicker block under the front wheel. It is too low and that is putting pressure on my "girlie parts"!

grannydea
01-22-2004, 10:47 AM
You're going to love clipless and wonder why you didn't do it sooner. Anyway that is how I was with them. It took me a year to finally let the guys at the LBS talk me into it but only about a days riding (4 hour ride) to know that I wasn't gong to end on my nose with my feet stuck to the peddles. (knock on wood) I have never been down on my road bike. By the time you are outside again you will be way past having it mastered.
you go girl.
Dea

bikerchick68
01-24-2004, 08:24 AM
hi... I'm new to this board but have been riding for a year now... you will love clipless pedals! Excellent idea to practice on the trainer... then once you're on the road, just unclip early for the first ride until you get used to the whole stopping and unclipping thing...

as to your seat... have you had your bike fit professionally by a reputable bike shop? If not, start there... if so, hopefully the new seat will help... I had a lot of problems in the beginning with pain during and after rides and then not being able to pee 'cause it hurt! I finally went to a different place than I bought the bike and got fitted by a woman who was really good...my seat was too high and too far back... which meant I was leaning reallly far forward for the entire ride... made some adjustments, bought a Terry Butterfly (I'll never ride any other saddle now) and wha..la!

A good way to tell if the seat is too high is to have a friend ride behind you... if you rock back and forth on the seat, your hips don't stay level, then the seat height is wrong...

Forgive me if you already knwo this stuff... I just know it made a world of difference for me... I look forward to riding now!

gretchen
02-03-2004, 12:27 PM
I too just "discovered" clipless....remember i'm BRAND new to this.
I am in training for a long summer ride (HELP!) and decided to take my NEW bike shoes (ok, what's the proper term?!!!) to a spin class...wow! what a difference they make!

Who ever gave the tip on the proper form...circles and scraping gum off your shoes...THANKYOU!!!! Any other tips would be MORE them appreciated!

Ok, back to clipless...I am in my trainer now that there's white stuff all over the ground but terrified to go on the road with them! I'm ok on the trainer but i'm pictureing myself trying to climb a steep hill, running out of steam, having to stop adn being stuck! I think i even had a nightmare about it!
Any advise on that?

I think you mentioned bike seats...what does that "butterfly" one look like? I have one that looks kind of like a butterfly on mine. I am used to riding on an old-fashioned Diamondback (city bike) with a seat from Target that was soooo awesome, with the hole in the middle (LOVE THAT!). I'm wondering if i should try and get used to my new seat (My new bike is a Specialized - Allez) or wimp out and put my "Target special" on.? I just want to be comfy riding 700 miles this summer down the west coast for two weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Any advice?

Veronica
02-03-2004, 01:27 PM
I'm just curious. Where does the apprehension about clipping out come from? Lots of folks have posted about it, so it seems to be a big concern to new riders. I went from cages to clips v and clips have always seemed like a much safer ride.

I've only used SPDs so can only speak about those pedals. If they are set up and adjusted properly they are very easy to get out of. I just kick my heel out slightly and they're out. Knock on wood - I've never dumped my road bike (mountain bike is a different story :D ) and on a few occasions I've even kept the tandem from going over when things have not gone as planned by getting my foot out. I think it's a pretty natural motion. The more you practice on the trainer, the more natural it will seem to you.

The Terry Butterfly saddle has a yellow butterfly on it. Lots of women like that saddle. I have one on my mountain bike, but prefer the Brooks Finesse that I have on my Riv and on the tandem.

Veronica

sno4rent
02-04-2004, 02:06 PM
I have clipless and ride a mountain bike. I have never (knock on wood) actually wrecked. Just fell over a couple times while stationary... :o My fear is not really the clipping out part - I have that down (SPD's). My HUGE fear is wrecking and still being clipped in. I can envision me AND my bike (as one) endo-ing over and over again. Can someone tell me that when you wreck your feet magically disengage from the pedals?!? ;) That's my fear - but I need to get over it since I got the clipless for racing. "Everyone" says if you race, you have to use clipless... Any suggestions for relieving my fear would be greatly appreciated!!!

~ Wendi

Adventure Girl
02-04-2004, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by sno4rent
Can someone tell me that when you wreck your feet magically disengage from the pedals?!? ;)

~ Wendi

I fell down a canyon when I was clipped in once. My front wheel drifted:eek: off the trail and BOOM down I went over the edge. It happened so fast!!

My bike and I rolled over and over (earth/sky/earth/sky) down the cliff until I came to a gentle (?) stop. When I landed, I was still clipped in on one side, but one foot actually "magically disengaged" from the other. I didn't have any major injuries. Just lots of bumps and bruises. Luckily it was in the winter, so I had long sleeves and long tights, so I did get to keep all of my skin intact!!

So what have I learned from this experience? When I get into technical or tricky stuff, I clip out (sometimes only one foot). It might be wimpy, but I'm just more confident unclipped. The fall didn't happen on either a technical or tricky area... It just happened...

But Wendi... remember "Do something EVERYDAY that scares you just a little.":p

pedalfaster
02-05-2004, 04:00 AM
wendi,
just to ease your mind...i have wrecked (and raced) many many times and 9 times out of 10 both feet have disengaged during a high-speed wreck.

of course becoming unattached to your bike leads to many "where's my biiiii....THUNK....oh there it is!" moments.

:D

grannydea
02-05-2004, 07:26 AM
Wendy,

I think you dont have anything to worry about really. You have been on the tranner with them for how long??? You will surprise yourself as to how natural it will be to clip out when things go wrong. I had a thing with a gas truck going up a hill and my front tire droped off the edge of the pavement and when all was said and done my left foot was out and on the ground before I even knew what had happended. (Scared the gas truck driver more than me) but the point is that you will be just fine. Not something to worry about. Just practice clipping out a bit once you get back out on the road. You really dont have anything to worry about.
And the power of being cliped in is sooooo wounderful.
Good luck.
Dea

sno4rent
02-05-2004, 01:14 PM
Thanks for all of the encouraging words!!! I'll look forward to the "where's my biiiii....THUNK....oh there it is!" moments. :eek: And Adventure Girl - I strongly stand by my "do something everyday that scares you just a little". Nothing like fear and the adrenalin that goes along with it to make you feel ALIVE! :D

~ Wendi