PDA

View Full Version : Any Lubbockites?

meridian
08-02-2006, 02:04 PM
Looks like there are a lot of Texas cyclers around! Are there any members that ride regularly in/through Lubbock or Slaton? I've been road cycling for about 3 years now, and my one and only bike partner has recently moved three states away!

I love cycling, but I'm afraid that I won't have the motivation to get out and keep going all by myself, and I find it a little intimidating to get 30 miles out into the middle of nowhere all by myself =\

I'm hoping that I can find a partner or a small group that I can join for weekend morning rides. If you're out there and don't mind an extra set of wheels around, please let me know!

denda
08-07-2006, 10:09 AM
Welcome Meridian.
I don't live in Lubbock, but just wanted to say Hello. Both of my children go to TEXAS TECH. GO RAIDERS! I live north of Lubbock at Dumas. I also ride in ride open spaces by myself, but I enjoy it. It's a great time to talk to yourself (and answer yourself). And to just think about things.
Hope you find a new bike partner.

denda
08-07-2006, 10:13 AM
Oh, by the way, Meridian: Are you going to ride in the Hotter'N Hell Hundred at the end of the month. My husband and I are going. This will be our second time.

meridian
08-07-2006, 01:54 PM
Hi denda, thanks for posting! I believe I will muster up the courage to keep my rides going; although they might be a little shorter and more cautious at first.

I've come across more than my fair share of aggressive and careless drivers (not to mention the dogs) on the county roads around here, so I definitely think I'll replan a few usual routes to make it safer by myself.

I may not make it to the HHH this year, but I am definitely striving for 2007. I hope you both have a great time though!

rheidis73
08-11-2006, 09:21 AM
Looks like there are a lot of Texas cyclers around! Are there any members that ride regularly in/through Lubbock or Slaton? I've been road cycling for about 3 years now, and my one and only bike partner has recently moved three states away!

I love cycling, but I'm afraid that I won't have the motivation to get out and keep going all by myself, and I find it a little intimidating to get 30 miles out into the middle of nowhere all by myself =\

I'm hoping that I can find a partner or a small group that I can join for weekend morning rides. If you're out there and don't mind an extra set of wheels around, please let me know!

WOW..do I feel you about trying to get over the idea of being ALL by myself on the road. I feel being a women makes it a lot more scarier for me. But I have made myself get up and go riding 30-50 miles, telling myself that I will be OK...I wish I was closer to you..I am near Nacogdoches....I have been in Lubbock a lot though....Yes, we have tons of dogs in these back woods, east Texas roads...It scares me when I am climbing a hill and I see a pack of dogs at the top of the hill. I know I will not have the power to sprint past them, so I just hope that they are good. I have been lucky so far...