PDA

View Full Version : A Goal Reached And A personal Best!

Veronica
08-02-2006, 01:39 PM
Well, I now have more miles in 2006 than 2005.

But even better than that...I took 2 minutes off my best time on one my local climbs.

I time myself from when I leave my house until I get to the parking lot at the summit of Morgan Territory, about 30 miles from my house. The road I take to get out there, Deer Valley, has a few little hills in it - probably a quarter of mile long, 5 % grade. It has no shoulder, so during the week, I wait until after 8:30 to head out as it does get some commute traffic.

I then turn onto Marsh Creek Road and into a headwind. Marsh Creek definitely rolls, but has an upward trend. The final hill on it is a bear! Krebs gives it two chevrons. It's one that has gotten easier to do over the years. :) It's kind of nice to do a hill like that regularly.

Then you turn onto Morgan Territory Road. This starts off as a beautiful two lane road, very little traffic, lots of ranches and horses. Just really pleasant riding. However, eventually the road deteriorates into what some refer to as a goat path. It's like a lane and a quarter wide. There are patches on top of patches, there are potholes you could lose a small child in. But it's shaded and there's almost no traffic. It runs beside a creek, and you can hear the wind and the critters.

Now, I know I'm having an awesome ride. At each road junction I'm aware that I'm on a record setting pace. And on Deer Valley and Marsh Creek, I was definitely trying to push hard, down in the drops, just trying to hammer.

Once I got to the climbing on MT, I stopped focusing on the average speed and thought about climbing as fast as I could, without blowing out my knees, or redlining too much. Because that's the way I need to think when I climb on a double century. If I could get a personal best - great and if not, it would be close. Which is great too! This is about a 4 mile climb, average grade of 5 - 6% with two spots that push up around 10%.

I was so stoked when I hit the parking lot at the top and saw I was two minutes faster. The climb felt a lot easier.

Now, I get to descend this road. Whenever someone tells me a descent has crummy pavement, I ask them if they have descended the Clayton side of MT. This is in my mind, the epitome of crummy pavement. Not only that, but it's a twisty, narrow little road with critters. You have to constantly be on your toes on this road, both as a driver and a cyclist. You can't let your mind wander.

I'm almost to the bottom, when two things happen. The first, a truck comes around a corner, hauling a$$ and I'm so glad that I'm only about a third of the way into the single lane we need to share. Obviously, I got to the right just fine. But, I hope it made him think about going a little bit more slowly. He couldn't see around the corner any better than I could. Anyway...

The second thing... the road was so bumpy, it made the GPS bounce out of its RAM mount. It hit my right arm and went flying down the bank towards the stream. God, I thought for sure it was going in the water. But, no, it landed halfway down the hill.

The rest of the ride was fairly uneventful. I discovered two other places to get water. Neither tasted great, but on a hot day, you can't complain. :)

V.

RoadRaven
08-02-2006, 02:03 PM
I love stories like this!!!

Well done V...

I have a couple of hills I time myself on... and it so awesome to come under your previous PB!!! Its such a great feeling to know "yes!!! I am getting better on hills!!!"

I think I like that knowledge more than when I do a PB on a flat course.

Well done on both your goals!

Rave doing-a-happy-dance Raven
:D

Trekhawk
08-02-2006, 02:20 PM
Well done V. :) :)

maillotpois
08-02-2006, 02:36 PM
Excellent!!! Now stop riding and rest up for Tam! ;)

chickwhorips
08-02-2006, 02:41 PM
great job! and this is why i keep going is stories like this that keep me modivated.

Veronica
08-02-2006, 03:43 PM
Excellent!!! Now stop riding and rest up for Tam! ;)

Yes Mom!

I think I can! I think I can!

My overall average today, including stops, was high enough that I can make the cutoff!

V.

Bike Goddess
08-02-2006, 04:30 PM
V- I was thinking the same thing that MP was when I was reading this. Let's see... it's Wednesday- 3 good nights rest and you should be just fine! AND the weather looks like we'll be a bit cooler this weekend.

Yipee doo, I'm so happy for you! Great job!

Miss Sagwagon will probably see you Saturday,:D :D :D , but might not see me. :( :( :( :( :( At any rate, I'll try to remember to call Thom and see how you are doing.

Veronica
08-02-2006, 04:41 PM
It's funny, after the NS tour riding every day seems so normal. It's weird when I take a day off. Today was my last long ride before Saturday.

You probably won't get Thom to answer on his cell phone. He's planning on riding the course on his motorcycle.

http://www.tandemhearts.com/650r-racks/slides/02-profile.jpg

His helmet matches the red on the bike and he wears all gray/silverish stuff.

He'll have tubes, a tool kit, tires, a very basic first aid kit and maybe water, if you need anything. I'm trying to figure out how he can carry ice. I REALLY like my drinks cold. I've already mentioned that to MP. :D

V.

cindysue
08-03-2006, 07:05 AM
....He's planning on riding the course on his motorcycle.

That is so sweet! Hope to see you both there!

and congrats on the personal best!

Selkie
08-03-2006, 07:08 AM
Can you clone Thom? And he rides a motorcycle!! Hey, maybe he can bring a cooler for of Klondikes for you? ;)

You go, Iron Girl!!!

Veronica
08-03-2006, 07:38 AM
You know I really am lucky to have such a great guy. I don't know how it happened. We were both so young, 19 and 20 when we got married. He is my biggest fan. He always knows just what to say...

Yeah... I'd clone him if I could. But I wouldn't give away the copies. :p

V.

SouthernBelle
08-03-2006, 10:30 AM
Couldn't he carry ice in one of those soft side 6-pack coolers?

Bike Goddess
08-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Between Thom and MP, maybe we'll be able to keep track of you! But then again, at the rate you are going, maybe we'll see you at the cutoff!!!!! (as in breezing past us with just a wave!):) :) :) :) :)

aka_kim
08-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Not to be too much of a nagging witch, since I do love Thom and will be first in line to get a clone, but the event web site states:

Use of personal sags in this event is prohibited. Any rider making use of personal sag will be disqualified from the ride and will never be allowed to register for the ride again.
Are you sure you want to risk getting disqualified?

On a positive note, Go V! The triple crown is almost yours!

Veronica
08-03-2006, 12:23 PM
Well since I'm not planning on taking anything from him... he's not a personal sag. He's a personal cheerleader who will have stuff to assist other people on the course. A fine line I know. :)

V.

velogirl
08-03-2006, 10:14 PM
At least he'll be driving a motorcycle instead of an SUV, right?

DirtDiva
08-04-2006, 02:33 AM
Good work, V, and good luck too! :)

Veronica
08-04-2006, 03:03 AM
At least he'll be driving a motorcycle instead of an SUV, right?

Right, and he won't be driving like a maniac and he won't be riding alongside me.

He didn't want the commitment of being a regular volunteer. He wanted to be able to ride the motorcycle - more fun, but more tiring. This way when he has had his fill, he can go home. And if he gets to be a good Samiritan, and help a cyclist stay on the ride, that's cool. But he won't be helping me. I have MP on speed dial - the official SAG.

He did the same thing on the Davis Double - but I never saw him. He never made it to where I was on the course.

V.

chickwhorips
08-04-2006, 08:52 AM
He did the same thing on the Davis Double - but I never saw him. He never made it to where I was on the course.

but its the thought that counts, even if you never see him.

Veronica
08-04-2006, 09:00 AM
but its the thought that counts, even if you never see him.
Oh for sure! He thought I'd be faster than I was and started at the end of the course. :) He had to go home, get the car and meet me at the finish.

Yeah - he gets up at zero dark, drives me to the start, comes home, sleeps a little more, rides the motorcycle to the course, rides around, goes home and gets the car and meets me at the finish. Well I'm certainly capable of driving to the start, I question my ability to drive home. :eek:

We've been thinking seriously about getting a truck so that he can bring the motorcycle to the rides that are further away.

V.