PDA

View Full Version : FS -- Unique Track Bike -- 56cm

velogirl
07-31-2006, 11:20 AM
This is a beautiful, unique and historical bike, originally built for Bobby Walthour by San Jose frame-builder Dale Sasso but logo’d by Specialized and Britton’s Bicycles (they sponsored Bobby at the time). I bought the bike used and only rode it at the track a couple of times. Now it’s just collecting dust at my house. This bike deserves a loving owner!

Selling the complete bike as is:

Frame – steel, small blems, no dents or dings, top tube = 56cm (c-c), seat tube = 56cm (c-c)
Bar – Nitto?
Stem – Salsa
Seat Post -- ?
Saddle – Specialized
Front Wheel -- Zipp 340 carbon tubular
Rear Wheel – Mavic Gel 280 rim, Campy hub (handbuilt by Hector Chavez at Winning Wheels) – 2-x soldered spokes – training wheel
Cranks – Dura Ace 165
Front Ring -- 47t
Cog – 16t
Chain – KMC (new)
Pedals – nope!
Weight (complete bike) – 18.5 lbs

Additionally, I’ll throw in three chain rings (Campy 46t, Sugino 48t, Sugino 49t) and 3 cogs (Suntour 13t, Suntour 14t, Suntour 15t)

Add shipping charge if not in Northern CA.

DebW
07-31-2006, 12:21 PM
Wow. What a cool piece of history. Sorry I'm not interested in owning a track bike. But the name Walthour sure rang a bell for me. In 1975 there was a guy name Jim Walthour who worked as the manager for the bike shop I worked at in Missouri. It was said that his father was a well-known racer but I never knew details. A google search shows a Bobby Walthour Sr. and Bobby Walthour Jr and a Jimmy Walthour (cousin of Jr) who were track racers in 1900 and ~1930, respectively. The guy I knew must have been the son of either Bobby Jr. or Jimmy (I'd guess Jimmy). He managed our shop the year that our owner was spending alot of time at Olympic Development races and went to the US Olympic Trails. Jim Walthour was actually a pretentious jerk and left our shop after only a few months to become a Raleigh salesman. As the Raleigh salesman for the midwest, he racked up far more speeding tickets than miles on a bike. I'm sure it was his name that got him the Raleigh job.

The things that trigger memories... Sorry to hijack your post.

velogirl
07-31-2006, 12:25 PM
The history is why I don't want to sell the bike to some urbanite who just wants to pretend he's a bike messenger (and why I've still got it for sale after months of trying to sell it). I'm hoping to find someone who will love the bike and potentially ride it at a track. I'd keep it, but unfortunately I've got two many bikes and don't get to the track.

SalsaMTB
07-31-2006, 01:32 PM
How much and do you have pics?

Sorry, you can PM me if you want with the response.

velogirl
07-31-2006, 02:41 PM
$700 + shipping

You can see pics here -- http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/bik/188455041.html

I'm happy to send higher res photos if you'd like.