PDA

View Full Version : Poll Re; Jennifer Ewing memorial shirts..

Running Mommy
07-30-2006, 07:30 PM
Ok girls, tomorrow I am going to check on getting some shirts made as referenced in the post regarding this tragedy.
It will be alot easier if I have some idea on just how many of you would be interested in ordering a shirt.
My idea- and I'm certainly open to a better one, would be to have written on the front:
" No woman should ever be afraid to ride alone"
and "In memory of Jennifer Ewing" under the quote.
I'm thinking a real nice font and maybe purple writing? Or perhaps someone could find out what her favorite color? I don't know if any of you GA girls have a way of finding that out??
Anyway, what do you think? Would you be interested??
I'm guessing that like anything the more that we order the cheaper they will be.

Lise
07-30-2006, 07:52 PM
I really like the idea, RM. I suggest they be a cotton/poly mix, as that's what I would wear while riding. L.

Bad JuJu
07-30-2006, 11:09 PM
Good idea, RM! Count me in!

Trek420
07-31-2006, 04:54 AM
hope you don't mind my re-posting this from the other thread:

Till this gets produced there is an online book formed for people to post a message to the family:

http://www.legacy.com/Atlanta/Guestbook.asp?Page=GuestBook&PersonID=18695293

tulip
07-31-2006, 05:30 AM
I'm interested. Thanks for taking the initiative!

Pedal Wench
07-31-2006, 05:46 AM
I'll mention it to my bike club. Being as we're 85-women strong, and in Atlanta, we might have some folks interested. Let me know what I should do.

Bikingmomof3
07-31-2006, 06:29 AM
I am interested.

Nanci
07-31-2006, 08:58 AM
Please not white shirts! Ash gray, or anything else. I'd prefer 100% cotton, because I don't wear T-shirts when I ride- (well, I would if there was a memorial ride) but I wouldn't wear a poly/cotton shirt just out and about. Technical fabric? Then I _would_ wear it riding...

It'd be cool if we could have some sort of cool graphic, too. Like what, I don't know. Who made the Amici Veloci design? SK? Snap? That's gorgeous!

redhot3368
07-31-2006, 09:14 AM
Wonderful Idea!
I'm interested!!

Thanks!
Karen

Bad JuJu
07-31-2006, 09:19 AM
Nanci, you make a good point about the fabric. I've seen some simple but nice t-shirts made from a cool technical fabric, but not sure of the difference in cost between that and cotton tees. Also, may I suggest a v-neck vs. traditional round neckline--cooler (heat-wise) and cooler (appearance-wise). A graphic would be great, if someone here could do something original--otherwise we might run into copyright issues.

DrBee
07-31-2006, 09:20 AM
I think this is a great and thoughful idea. If we could somehow get some of the proceeds from the t-shirts donated to her favorite charity, that would be especially nice.

I'm still catching up on posts and just read through the original posts on the story. This is so terribly trajic. My only option is to ride alone. Scary!

Nanci
07-31-2006, 09:32 AM
Another idea, (I don't know if RM already has a source of shirts or not) if we decide against technical fabric, is to go through cafepress and then we could each get whatever style/fabric we wanted (I could even get freeze-baby LS!!) all with the same graphic/writing.

I'm getting this image in my mind- I don't know why, but you know at the beginning of Six Feet Under, there's that perfect tree, all by itself on a hill- maybe something like that?

Crankin
07-31-2006, 09:33 AM
I would be interested, but, please make it wicking material, not cotton. It doesn't have to be a bike jersey, but a plain, v neck wicking shirt that will fit a short person like a shirt, not a dress would be nice.....

Nanci
07-31-2006, 09:38 AM
I like V-necks better, too.

dobielover1
07-31-2006, 10:02 AM
I would be interested...I think think it a really nice idea for a tribute.

Running Mommy
07-31-2006, 10:09 AM
Ok, so I'm at work but plan on trying to do some research today. I was thinking technical fabric as well. Would be a bit more, but I think I know of a source that is still pretty reasonable. What is cafe press Nanci?? Do tell.. sounds interesting!
I'm taking the input and logging it for reference... :D
And yeah, as many people, clubs, etc that want to climb on board- the better it would be!! Quantity ALWAYS equals better price per shirt!

pooks
07-31-2006, 10:16 AM
Cafe Press isn't a bad idea.

And I'd definitely want a shirt.

Denise223
07-31-2006, 10:18 AM
Trek420 -- Thank you for posting the link to the guestbook for Jennifer. I'll be able to write how I feel, to her family.

With regard to the shirts, etc.... I'm beginning to think of horrific tragedies that happen to women world-wide. Whether they are cyclists, runners, swimmers, mothers, etc....

I was thinking about the Central Park Jogger, Trisha Meili, who survived a BRUTAL ATTACK on April 19, 1989....

http://www.centralparkjogger.org/about/index.cfm

Every single day we hear about unthinkable, horrible tragedies that happen throughout the world....

God Bless Jennifer Ewing and her family. She certainly did not die in vain.

I don't know much about getting T-shirts made, etc....., but it's starting to sound a bit like this is more "fashion/material/neck shape, etc., etc...", and is losing what the original concept was, which is to honor Jennifer.

Denise

pooks
07-31-2006, 10:18 AM
http://www.cafepress.com/cp/info/sell/products/

This should take you to the wide variety of products you can have personalized at Cafe Press. T-shirts are just the beginning.

Cafe Press let's you open a "shop" and choose your products and how much you want to sell them for. Then Cafe Press does the rest. You send people to the "shop" and they order whatever they want in whatever size they want.

Nanci
07-31-2006, 10:20 AM
HI Denise,

I want to have a shirt that I wear a lot, because I like it. If it sucks, then it won't get worn and the message won't get out.

NAnci

Kitsune06
07-31-2006, 10:34 AM
I second the v-neck, technical, etc.

Just a shirt that's comfortable enough that I can feel able to wear it often. The more questions I can get on it the better.
I also second the Cafe Press idea. I had a friend who had a shop there... not sure if it still exists, but if we can agree on a logo or text that is thought-provoking, beautiful and appropriate to the situation (how would YOU want the shirt to look, if you were her, looking down on all the women discussing it?)
It's certainly an honorable vision, but Denise has a point, and I'm just saying we need to make sure it's something Jennifer would have approved of (if there's any way we can do so) maybe asking her family, or something?

Bikingmomof3
07-31-2006, 10:38 AM
I third the v-neck tech.

spokewench
07-31-2006, 10:41 AM
I like the idea but whenever you are dealing with a death like this, I think it is really important that the people closest to the decedent have a say in the matter! If they don't like the idea, then we should honor their wishes and not do it.

Don't care what the t shirt is made of.

pooks
07-31-2006, 10:42 AM
I don't know a tasteful way to do it, but to me the most important part of Jennifer's story is how hard she fought. That's the part that I carry with me. That's the part that just sings in my veins.

Trek420
07-31-2006, 11:15 AM
Denise223 "Trek420 -- Thank you for posting the link to the guestbook for Jennifer. I'll be able to write how I feel, to her family."

You're welcome, I'm still trying to come up with what to write myself, words fail me (which is unusual for me) but it does seem like the cycling community is posting to the family. I'm sure at some point when they have time to read them it would matter that people cared to take the time to write.

mtbdarby
07-31-2006, 12:02 PM
I just had a thought. Instead of a shirt just for the memory of Jennifer (although she is the catalyst) how about one in memory of as many woman athletes we can think of who's lives were taken? To steal words from someone's on the guest book, how about the tree Nanci mentioned with these women's names and birthdates/last day on the branches and a saying at the bottom "may their spirits live in all of us", or "may their spirits be a part of us" or something to that effect, and a little note underneath of "women supporting women"? Something to that effect. Just a thought...

jenny's sister
08-01-2006, 04:04 PM
I am Jenny Ewing's sister. Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers. Keep me posted if there is anything I can do to help your efforts in establishing a memorial for her. She truly LOVED being on the trail enjoying nature and talking with God. She was awesome. She was also very careful. Ultra careful!!! You all be safe and take care.

newfsmith
08-01-2006, 05:28 PM
I would be interested, and I'm not very choosey. Tee shirts, both technical and cotton are about all I wear.

pooks
08-01-2006, 05:42 PM
I am Jenny Ewing's sister. Thank you all so much for your thoughts and prayers. Keep me posted if there is anything I can do to help your efforts in establishing a memorial for her. She truly LOVED being on the trail enjoying nature and talking with God. She was awesome. She was also very careful. Ultra careful!!! You all be safe and take care.

Thank you! Your family's approval means everything to us. We only want to do something if you are comfortable with it.

DDH
08-01-2006, 05:52 PM
I think this is a great idea!! I would be interested. I'm not picky about t-shirts seeing that is about all I wear. I know this is for a good cause and all, but can I mention that being a SAHM and my husband being the only sorce of income, in order for me to purchase one, the price would have to be reasonable. I hope that didn't sound terrible, I don't want to sound like a cheapskate. I use to be involved with a forum that sold t-shirts and such through cafepress and they always seemed so pricey for what you got. I mean I bought a couple through the forum and the transfers faded quite quickly, and the t-shirts shrank. Just wanted to let you know to be careful with that. I don't mind paying the price for something that will last.

Trek420
08-01-2006, 07:10 PM
Could the sale of the shirts go towards a favorite charity of hers?

Kitsune06
08-01-2006, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE=DDH]in order for me to purchase one, the price would have to be reasonable. QUOTE]

Don't feel bad, DDH... while everyone has the loftiest of intentions with this, I think they also know that a lot of us face $ as a very real obstacle in things, too. But I second that. I don't hesitate to give to charities, but I really can't afford a whole lot... (oh, but I'd like to!)

leighko
08-01-2006, 07:38 PM
count me in! I do like Nanci's idea about a cool graphic. I mentioned this horrible event on Saturday at a bike club ride and a few ladies were really upset and bothered. I was separated on a ride in a secluded part of town last week and became extremely creeped out. Let's get awareness up and the word out there!

twin
08-01-2006, 07:50 PM
I am interested and the matieral of the shirt does not matter to me.

Running Mommy
08-01-2006, 08:08 PM
Ok, so based on the thread from Jenny's sister I am going to look into black, and probably grey or white technical shirts. It looks like purple is the color for the writing. I have emailed her sister for some input on the details and I'll get back to ya'll about that.
I'll give you more details when I get them.
Denise

Bikingmomof3
08-01-2006, 08:10 PM
Sounds great Denise. Keep us updated and thanks for doing this.

Tristnmum
08-01-2006, 08:58 PM
Count me in---of course....

An excellent way to build awareness and make this mean something to others.....Hugs Den!

Triskeliongirl
08-02-2006, 05:25 AM
Count me in. I agree to go technical and v-neck, so I will wear it often riding, and get the message out. I know my husband often orders technical shirts from a catalog, Eastbay, very inexpensively. Perhaps the nice gals that run TE could also help us a fine a way to do this inexpensively.

Running Mommy
08-02-2006, 05:28 AM
I found a source for coolmax shirts at 13.95 a piece, so I am going to call them today for screenprinting prices. They do screenprinting as well, so hopefully we can do this for under 20.00 a shirt. I'll see tho? I have no idea. I think I'm going to look into cafe press a bit more too. That seemed to be a really good idea.

Triskeliongirl
08-02-2006, 05:57 AM
This is all so sad, but we can all learn from it too. WHile I think riding alone on the trails is obviously less safe than riding on the road alone, I think its something we all need to think about and have an action plan made ahead of time. Twice I was road riding, and followed by creepy guys in cars, and both times I text messaged the License plate numbers to my son, not to alarm him, but just in case. And you can't assume criminals don't ride bikes. Heck, a bike thief not only knows how to ride a bike, but how to strip it down for parts, clean them up, and list them on ebay. So, just cuz someone is out their on a bike doesn't mean they are your friend. Thank you so much for organizing us to do something, anything, to raise awareness of this problem. And to Jennifer's Sister, hearfelt condolences to you and the rest of your family.

mtbdarby
08-02-2006, 06:01 AM
I'm in as well.

MomOnBike
08-02-2006, 07:08 AM
I'm in. Be sure that you order shirts that will be large enough for us big 'uns.

Thanks for doing this.

Nokomis
08-02-2006, 07:45 AM
Thanks for doing this - I'm in.

Ninabike
08-02-2006, 07:57 AM
Yes, Thanks for doing this. I'm in too.

Nina

tomgrrrl
08-02-2006, 08:01 AM
I will buy one as well.....thanks for all your efforts...

Trekhawk
08-02-2006, 08:40 AM
Its a lovely idea. Im in.

jenny's sister
08-02-2006, 09:03 AM
You people are awesome!!!! Keep it up. Stay safe

Running Mommy
08-02-2006, 09:08 AM
Jenny's sis-
From what I've read it sounds like Jenny was AWESOME as well!! And I have no doubt she would have been just like one of us, rallying around and trying to make a difference!!! We can and we will! Like I said before, even if our efforts only save one life, we will have been successful!
Please keep us posted if your family tries to get any legislation passed, as we will all help support ya'll!
take care.
Denise

Nanci
08-02-2006, 09:12 AM
I was thinking, when Jenny's sister was talking about legislation- how grateful I am for the amount of patroling the trails I ride get. Too bad there can't be a lot more.

Running Mommy
08-02-2006, 09:46 AM
Ok, I just left a VM for the guy at the coolmax shirts place. I'm going to see if we can get both black shirts and white shirts. they will have purple writing on them. I am going to nail down exactly what the family wants them to say and I will get back to you all with that. It sounds like it will be something like what I previously suggested. I'm hoping that they will be priced reasonably enough that I can get at least 5.00 a shirt on top of the cost to donate to the Sandy Hill (I think that was the name) Mission, which is where the family would like donations to go to.
My goal for all of this is to get Jenny's story out there, and if the family has a message, or some legislation or such, we could get the word out on that as well. I want these t shirts to mean more than just a memorial. I want them to bring awareness and hopefully change on some level.
Personally I have pledged to Jenny's sister that I will race in her honor, and I plan to wear her shirt at all my upcoming races. Also if there are alot of you in one area perhaps you could wear the shirts and do a ride in her honor.
So like I said, I'll keep ya'll posted.
Denise

SJCzar
08-02-2006, 09:46 AM
I'm in also.

PAP103
08-02-2006, 09:53 AM
I'm in too. I'm very touched by Jenny's sister's replies.

Maybe we can make something good come out of such a senseless tragedy. My sincerest condolences to Jenny's sister and her family.

Patty

Nanci
08-02-2006, 09:56 AM
Denise,

Do you have Paypal set up so it will be easy to pay for them? For us to pay you privately? Contrary to popular opinion- it's free!

Simple. Sending money online is as easy as typing in an email address and clicking send.

Safe. You'll enjoy the same cutting-edge security and fraud protection you get with every PayPal transaction.

Free. Sending person-to- person payments through your PayPal personal account is free. Si

Running Mommy
08-02-2006, 10:29 AM
I have a pay pal acct but haven't used it in YEARS. I'll have to try to figure out the info, and then I'll prolly bug you about setting that up when the time comes! ha ha

Pedal Wench
08-02-2006, 10:33 AM
RunningM,

I'm in a women's cycling club here in Atlanta, and I'm pretty sure that some of our 85 members will be interested. Please make sure you allow for at least that many shirts. I can't guarantee we'll all buy one, but we're all pretty shaken up by the whole situation. Last I heard, a memorial ride is being planned for the 26th, benefits going to the Sandy Springs charity.

Thanks for spearheading this.

I'll also post information on the other local forums, including the trail forum for the Silver Comet. In fact, the Silver Comet Depot is a bike shop right on the trail. Once we get the shirts, I'll see if they would be interested in buying some to sell at the store. They knew Jennifer, as they know all of us trail regulars.

Selkie
08-02-2006, 01:22 PM
Denise -- You can count on me to order at least one, regardless of the fabric. This would make a great xmas/holiday/birthday gift for your friends/family/etc., too, so I might be getting more than one. Also, let me know if you need any help pulling this together, ok?

WrensMom
08-02-2006, 02:25 PM
Count me in as well. I might get an extra one for my biking friend in Santa Fe also.

Bikingmomof3
08-02-2006, 02:29 PM
They are sounding great Denise. Are you planning on setting up a pay pal account. It will be easier on you. :) Thanks for doing this.

chickwhorips
08-02-2006, 02:40 PM
i'm in also. its a great idea.

are you going to put up pictures of what your thinking?

Running Mommy
08-02-2006, 04:23 PM
The rep w/ the cool max site hasn't called me back, so I just emailed Jason at Titan wear. I know of him thorugh the TNO forum, so hopefully he get's back to me soon. I'd like to try to get these done and out by that memorial ride. I'm not sure if he can do custom, but I'm hoping he can- and if not he can steer me to someone who can! I know he did the TNO logo stuff, so my fingers and toes are crossed!!

Running Mommy
08-02-2006, 05:57 PM
Ok, I just spoke with the Rep from coolmax clothing. The shirts including screen print are 15.00 a piece. I'm thinking that shipping them out will be no more than 3.00 since I can put them in a tyvek envelope, so here is my question to you.... I could "sell them" for 20.00 and make a couple of bucks for the charity per shirt, or I could sell them for 25.00 a shirt and send at least 5.00 but prolly closer to 7.00 to 8.00 per shirt to Sandy Springs Mission. Or I could leave it up to the individual, either 20.00 or 25.00, and then do the math on a per shirt basis.
Rest assured, I will not keep a PENNY extra of the money from this. Anything I can send to Sandy Springs I will. I am doing this for Jenny and her family. For some reason I feel called to do this, so on I press.
My next thing is to get the text from the family and then we'll be good to go.
Oh- the only bummer is that the only vnecks I can get are in baby blue or pink.. Otherwise it's a regular neckline. You would think there would be more options, but at this price point there aren't as many as hoped. I hope this is ok with everyone.

Lise
08-02-2006, 06:15 PM
RM--Coolmax would be great, v-neck is my favorite, I would be happy with blue, and I'd be honored to buy at least two shirts (I'm sure my mom would like one). Thanks for doing this. I'm so glad Jenny's sister found us, also, so she can see how her sister's life and fight have touched so many people.

Cindyloo
08-02-2006, 06:18 PM
I think this is a great idea and I will wear whatever you guys decide! Thanks for taking this on Runningmommy!

jenny's sister
08-02-2006, 06:45 PM
I'll say it again. All of you are awesome. RunningMommy I can't even begin to thank you!!! I would go with purple black and white. I asked my nephew who is 5 to tell me all the things he remembered about Jenny and one of the things we talked about was that he remembers her as always wearing purple. I hope this is okay. My family is hurting like we have never imagined possible, but this is helping. I will forever be indebted to all of you for that. This is going to be great. My sister deserves every bit of this and more. She was as close to perfect as it gets. We called her The Golden One a little tongue in cheek, but in reality everyone knew we all meant it. She lived her life for others and spent her time trying to glorify God through her thoughts and actions. She was the best of all of us, and her physical absence is devastating. Stay safe

Bikingmomof3
08-02-2006, 06:50 PM
Ok, I just spoke with the Rep from coolmax clothing. The shirts including screen print are 15.00 a piece. I'm thinking that shipping them out will be no more than 3.00 since I can put them in a tyvek envelope, so here is my question to you.... I could "sell them" for 20.00 and make a couple of bucks for the charity per shirt, or I could sell them for 25.00 a shirt and send at least 5.00 but prolly closer to 7.00 to 8.00 per shirt to Sandy Springs Mission. Or I could leave it up to the individual, either 20.00 or 25.00, and then do the math on a per shirt basis.
Rest assured, I will not keep a PENNY extra of the money from this. Anything I can send to Sandy Springs I will. I am doing this for Jenny and her family. For some reason I feel called to do this, so on I press.
My next thing is to get the text from the family and then we'll be good to go.
Oh- the only bummer is that the only vnecks I can get are in baby blue or pink.. Otherwise it's a regular neckline. You would think there would be more options, but at this price point there aren't as many as hoped. I hope this is ok with everyone.

Whatever you decide will be fine. :)

bboasbe
08-07-2006, 09:31 AM
Hi gang,
cannot tell if my original entry ever was submitted, as I cannot find it; so I apologize if this is a repeat.

My name is Bernadette Boas
Along with others I am coordinating a memorial ride in Jenny's name, and have been in touch with her sister in regards to it.

Due to active cycling events through Oct nailing a date down has been tricky, but am working to finalize on it asap

That said, in regards to the shirts, there could be great interest from folks at the memorial ride to want to purchase one. We have plans to have a small fee for the ride that will go to donation, we could also include a notation on the ride registry that if someone wanted a shirt, they could also purchase one (via the on line registration) and that too would go to charity. Or, you can simply have a table set up wiht shirts at the event. Either way

Anyway, could someone please reply to this entry to confirm it was received

i will be keeping in touch here to let you know of the plans

Bernadette

spokewench
08-07-2006, 09:36 AM
I was going to write my check for more than the t shirt anyway so whatever

Denise223
08-07-2006, 09:49 AM
RM -

Whatever you decide will be fine...

I know there are a few threads on this topic -- should we use this thread from now on, so posts don't get lost?

Thanks!

Denise

Susan Otcenas
08-07-2006, 09:57 AM
Ladies,

I've just started a new thread called "August 7th - Updated Order info for Jenny Ewing Tees" It contains all the latest info on how to order, the price, expected delivery, etc.

Bernadette - if you'd like, you can simply direct folks to TE to place their orders. If you prefer to order some additional quantity to have available at your event, send me a PM and I can give you all the manufacturer info.

Susan

jenny's sister
08-07-2006, 04:33 PM
Thank you so much Susan AND Team Estrogen!!!!

Stay safe
Paige

jane floss
08-20-2006, 11:57 AM
Jennifer Ewing was my daughter-in-law's beautiful aunt. I had the pleausure of knowing her and she was one of the kindest and most loving person I have ever met. Sadly my granddaughter was only two weeks old when Jenny was so tragically taken from her family and will never get to know her. I live in Western New York and belong to a biking group called the Outspokin's and I would love to help raise money for this memorial ride. I know all the girls would purchase a tee shirt , as they have all kept the Ewing Family in their prayers. Please contact me with the information when it is available. Thank-you, Jane Floss