PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have a honey-colored Brooks?

Quillfred
07-29-2006, 03:48 PM
I'm wondering how the color mellows over time.

Do biking shorts add a black patina or do the saddles really mellow to a nice maroon or burgandy color as I have seen suggested on a site?

Quill

Veronica
07-29-2006, 04:10 PM
I looked at some well used Honey colored saddles at Rivendell today. They didn't seem to have changed much, certainly no black spots. The color was somewhere between a tan and a brown.

V.

mimitabby
07-29-2006, 07:53 PM
My husband's that he ruined was a honey and it's just a little darker than they are new. His shorts and sweat did not blacken it, only darken it.

mimitabby
07-29-2006, 08:06 PM
http://www.oz.net/~mtorchia/honeybrooks.jpg

on the left, showing slightly darker than it is, is the new honey brooks.
on the right, showing true color is the ruined one. You see that crease?
that fits my husband's behind much too well now. :)

they are both B17 Honey colored.

salsabike
07-29-2006, 08:59 PM
ow. For those of those who ride in the rain, that's a painful sight.

mimitabby
07-30-2006, 06:00 AM
I've ridden my brooks in the rain too. Just not for 24 hours in a sitting!!!

Veronica
07-30-2006, 06:04 AM
I have a saddle cover for my Brooks that I use when it's really pouring.

V.

Blueberry
07-30-2006, 06:06 AM
So...is there any way to protect a brooks saddle for 24 hours of riding in the rain (not that I plan to ride 24 hours in the rain anytime soon:)...)

Just wondering:o

Carrie Anne

Veronica
07-30-2006, 06:29 AM
Saddle Cover

http://www.rivbike.com/webalog/saddles_accessories/11014.html

V.

mimitabby
07-30-2006, 06:38 AM
Although I have no interest in riding in those conditions long enough to "melt" my saddle, when the bike is on top of the car in rainy conditions, I just tie a plastic bag over it.

Bikingmomof3
07-30-2006, 07:10 AM
Although I have no interest in riding in those conditions long enough to "melt" my saddle, when the bike is on top of the car in rainy conditions, I just tie a plastic bag over it.

Brooks (wallingford) sells inexpensive rain protection saddle covers for their saddles, between $8-$10. http://www.wallbike.com/brooks/saddlecare.html I bought one when I purchased my saddle as i know we will get rain. I think mine was between $8-$10, rolls up teeny tiny, which is get to always have with me, just in case.

Quillfred
07-30-2006, 05:24 PM
Thanks Veronica and Mimitabby.

They do seem to mellow with alot of character. Remind me of horse saddles. I can't wait to get a new one for my Trek 1500. :) The black Team Pro looks and works well on my Cyclocross due to the color and weight compatibilities.

Just waiting for a good deal now...

Quillfred
07-30-2006, 05:27 PM
http://www.oz.net/~mtorchia/honeybrooks.jpg

on the left, showing slightly darker than it is, is the new honey brooks.
on the right, showing true color is the ruined one. You see that crease?
that fits my husband's behind much too well now. :)

they are both B17 Honey colored.

Mimitabby

I wonder if Brooks would be able to refit the "24 hour" job. Then again maybe it has sentimental value just as it is.

Quillfred

mimitabby
07-30-2006, 07:49 PM
Quillfred, I have to call wallbikes tomorrow... Maybe I will just ask them!

:)

mimitabby
07-31-2006, 06:22 AM
I just got off the phone from Wallbike, (i got a saddle cover added to my order)
they said use plastic bags over the saddles in driving rain.
They also said that if you get a saddle drenched (like DH did) to let it dry out before you sit on it.
if you sit on it; you will ruin it.
keep proofhiding it though; this will help.

and no, they can't fix the leather. they can fix any other part of the saddle.
So gals, if you are doing 24 hour rides in the rain, put a plastic bag (or something) over your saddle!

BleeckerSt_Girl
08-01-2006, 11:53 AM
If you take your new honey color Brooks saddle and slather it with neatsfoot oil in order to help it form to you more quickly, it will darken the color to a nice warm medium brown. My husband did this to his, but I'm holding out with my own as I love the honey color. I don't think proofhiding treatment darkens it however, from what I've heard.

mimitabby
08-01-2006, 12:48 PM
If you take your new honey color Brooks saddle and slather it with neatsfoot oil in order to help it form to you more quickly, it will darken the color to a nice warm medium brown. My husband did this to his, but I'm holding out with my own as I love the honey color. I don't think proofhiding treatment darkens it however, from what I've heard.
Lisa, look at the photos of my husband's two saddles; they were both proofhided..

BleeckerSt_Girl
08-01-2006, 06:05 PM
Lisa, look at the photos of my husband's two saddles; they were both proofhided..

I see he ruined the more expensive one with the big copper rivets...
You should mount it on the wall as an "objet d'art". ;)